• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How did I know you had an ex-alabamian vibe about you. I'm stuck in Huntsville and you're right. No street dates ever get broken around here.. : (

A fellow Huntsvillian? We're just bringing out all the (ex-)Alabamian Smashers today.

(Of course if someone says they are from Alabama Huntsville is one of four likely places they would be from so that's not too surprising).

Haha, that's crazy! Maybe my southern hospitality just shines through. :p

You took mine with you. I'm like the least southern person that has never lived outside the south. Beyond enjoying college football I can't think of a single stereotype I'd fit.

A fellow Huntsvillian? We're just bringing out all the (ex-)Alabamian Smashers today.

(Of course if someone says they are from Alabama Huntsville is one of four likely places they would be from so that's not too surprising).

Mostly lurk smashgaf but honestly never guessed anybody here would be from down south (huntsville here)

Clefargle

You took mine with you. I'm like the least southern person that has never lived outside the south. Beyond enjoying college football I can't think of a single stereotype I'd fit.

Yeah, I'm of the mind that Birmingham is the only other city of any value in the state. But then again, I grew up in Cullman so maybe I'm a bit biased. :p

It's gotta be that! :D

Mostly lurk smashgaf but honestly never guessed anybody here would be from down south (huntsville here)
Just glad to know some GAFers will understand where I'm coming from when I say I sometimes actually have dreams about eating at Milo's.
Seriously, I need that in my life again.

Haha, sorry this thread has become a Southern Reunion thread.

9 more days!
Why would anyone compete in a serious tournament if there is no monetary incentive? Organizers wouldn't be able to ensure future events if no one wants to participate because they only get a pat on the back for winning.

Because they want to win. Same reason they used to do it before cash prizes were a thing. Not even a pat on the back is needed.

Clefargle

Just glad to know some GAFers will understand where I'm coming from when I say I sometimes actually have dreams about eating at Milo's.
Seriously, I need that in my life again.

Haha, sorry this thread has become a Southern Reunion thread.

I love that place, but I'm not a fan of sweet tea so everyone gives me weird looks while holding their gallons of tea when I eat there. lol

And don't worry, I take full responsibility for bringing out Bama-smash-GAF....Some stones should be left unturned lol.

AdaWong

I played SSFIV with my Circle Pad, I mained Viper (technical and requires a lot of QCF/QCB and fast cancels), i have 100+ hours clocked for the game.
And my circle pad is fine.

However, when playing Smash, I have no idea why it feels loose, the rubber that is

georly

What's the difference between specials and equipment?

Custom moves/specials are 8 additional moves per character, as joeinky and I have been showing off.

Equipment are stat-boosting gear that you can equip onto a character (up to 3). That increase offense, defense, or speed, and also have BONUS abilities, like starting the round with an item equipped (start with starman, or blaster!), or having auto-healing (recover 2% hp every 3 seconds!).

Attack up reduces defense.
Defense up reduces speed.
Speed up reduces offense.

Some pieces of equipment are inherently better than others. You can have some with +25 attack, -15 defense, while others are +25 attack, -8 defense. You can also have ones that have a -0 to the other stat, so it's just 'make you stronger', and that's it, no drawbacks.

Equipment is about as balanced as items are. Custom moves, on the other hand, are pretty good so far.

Can you use them online?

You can do anything online with friends. Custom moves and equipment can not be used 'with anyone.'
Playing online with friends is the same as playing locally with friends (with added latency, of course!)

SuperSah

Banned
Custom moves/specials are 8 additional moves per character, as joeinky and I have been showing off.

Equipment are stat-boosting gear that you can equip onto a character (up to 3). That increase offense, defense, or speed, and also have BONUS abilities, like starting the round with an item equipped (start with starman, or blaster!), or having auto-healing (recover 2% hp every 3 seconds!).

Attack up reduces defense.
Defense up reduces speed.
Speed up reduces offense.

Some pieces of equipment are inherently better than others. You can have some with +25 attack, -15 defense, while others are +25 attack, -8 defense. You can also have ones that have a -0 to the other stat, so it's just 'make you stronger', and that's it, no drawbacks.

Equipment is about as balanced as items are. Custom moves, on the other hand, are pretty good so far.

Thanks for telling me that! :D

Just realised the game has an 8-Bit remix of the main theme in it, and 93 songs total, I believe.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sweet! Will be cool a cool way to test using IRC and TS together. Can you make private chats in the IRC with more than 2 people?

I have a room ready that aren't used by anyone. It's #mariokartgaf

So we can use it this Friday.

I actually like the South quite a bit; I have constant cravings for BBQ and sweet tea out here. But, if you're wanting to be a director/screenwriter...yeah, not the best spot.

Tell me about it. I missed Northern Pizzas. Pizzas here suck hardcore.

georly

Thanks for telling me that! :D

Just realised the game has an 8-Bit remix of the main theme in it, and 93 songs total, I believe.

Oh, not all pieces of equipment have bonus abilities, by the way! But they all have '+ one stat, - another', in that attack/defense/speed triangle, but sometimes the - is zero. I also have a few where the + is 0, so the piece of equipment literally does nothing but make you worse! (it may have had a bonus associated with it, but I can't read japanese!)

Just to confirm Smash will cost $39.99 plus tax right. Just want to make sure cause I'm going to put 43 bucks on my eshop account for when it comes out next Friday.

SuperSah

Banned
Oh, not all pieces of equipment have bonus abilities, by the way! But they all have '+ one stat, - another', in that attack/defense/speed triangle, but sometimes the - is zero. I also have a few where the + is 0, so the piece of equipment literally does nothing but make you worse! (it may have had a bonus associated with it, but I can't read japanese!)

Thanks a bunch!

Only a matter of time before Amazon UK takes my money and begins prepping dispatch...

Alright, all you Southerners, I have a question: would you call Maryland a Southern state? Because we Marylanders can't make up our minds. Sometimes we're a Southern state, sometimes Northern, sometimes Mid-Atlantic, sometimes a "border state"...it's a mess.

georly

Just to confirm Smash will cost $39.99 plus tax right. Just want to make sure cause I'm going to put 43 bucks on my eshop account for when it comes out next Friday.

You can just tell eshop to 'pay remaining' so you're not left with change you can't use. Unless you've figured out a magic way to put 3 dollars onto an eshop account that I don't know about. Afaik, it's just 5 dollar increments.

emb

Alright, all you Southerners, I have a question: would you call Maryland a Southern state? Because we Marylanders can't make up our minds. Sometimes we're a Southern state, sometimes Northern, sometimes Mid-Atlantic, sometimes a "border state"...it's a mess.
I would consider Virginia and up to be northern, while NC and down are southern. That's the way I've always seen in done in terms of Smash at least. And I assume that's based on some typical region separation. (That's how I've seen it setup for the regional sections on Smashboards, and the split normally used for crew battles.)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Southern state? Really? I guess it's in it's own category.

Clefargle

Well since you're beneath the Mason Dixon Line, technically Maryland is a "southern state". I know a bunch of southerners in Alabama that would call it northern, but that's just relative to them. I have a friend from columbia who calls me a "northerner" all the time, lol. We're all southern to Canadians.

Mason-dixon-line.gif

Anyone that adds me from the friend code list please PM me so I can add you back! I would love to have lots of people to play with when this releases and I don't have many friends with 3DS's (almost all are holding out for Wii U version)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Because they want to win. Same reason they used to do it before cash prizes were a thing. Not even a pat on the back is needed.

Before cash prizes were a thing tournaments were tiny niche events that few people cared for. If you want the skill level to rise and people to become better and better at the game incentive needs to be offered to they can dedicated more time to it. That incentive is created by having a game that's fun to watch and draws sponsors and an audience which generate revenue to create said prize pool.

If you want a scene to grow out of basements and people's homes the players gotta be fighting for a big reward. Not just the glory.

Timeaisis

Naw, your not even below the mason-dixon line. I do have a question to why this is relevant, though? Even though I do enjoy discussing these random things. :p

EDIT: Just read the rest of the thread.

SouthernGAF represent.

It's in the full game as well. I imagine the New 3DS would be able to handle it better. There have been people saying that they've had better stability with online compared to local play.
Wow. I am at a loss for words. It's a marvel to see the game run. But then again, this is a screw up beyond countless proportions. In what world is it ok for a fighting game to load mid match. How is this acceptable? How are people not talking about it? It made one two minute match near unplayable.

In any case, thanks for verification that this shit is in the full version.

georly

I would consider Virginia and up to be northern, while NC and down are southern. That's the way I've always seen in done in terms of Smash at least. And I assume that's based on some typical region separation. (That's how I've seen it setup for the regional sections on Smashboards, and the split normally used for crew battles.)

Well since you're beneath the Mason Dixon Line, technically Maryland is a "southern state". I know a bunch of southerners in Alabama that would call it northern, but that's just relative to them. I have a friend from columbia who calls me a "northerner" all the time, lol. We're all southern to Canadians.

Mason-dixon-line.gif

Yeah, well, I think you guys should...

SETTLE IT IN SMASH!

VyVmiGi.gif

bigmac996

You're welcome. It's the one Steve Youngblood linked:

I think the price has been going steadily up since I ordered it, presumably thanks to Smash popularity. :p *edit* Some newer reviews mention the plastic holding the unit in place breaking. I haven't had it long enough to know, but I would at minimum suggest against taking the 3DS XL in and out a lot. Just take the stylus out, then leave it in its grip all the time.

Awesome. Just ordered it. Thanks guys. If it breaks down the line it's no big deal, still relatively cheap. Worth it to save my thumb haha.

Enforced

agyzuv.png

Hey guys! Voice Chat for Smash is still something I'm super excited to get going.

So, Devo and I would love to do a test run beforehand just to make sure the server and all of the setting we have are up to snuff. We were thinking of getting as many GAFers as we can to test it out this Friday (though the date may change) by jumping on Mario Kart 8 and seeing how everything holds up. If you're available to to do this, please let me know! In addition to helping get things ready, playing Mario Kart with SmashGAF should prove to be quite fun. It would most likely be around 7:00-7:30 PM PST, but still let me know what times work best for you so that we can change it if necessary.

As I mentioned before, servers for voice chat won't be available until a week after launch the US launch. "But Oric," you cry with worrisome tones, "what if I want quick communication options before then?" Well lucky for you, there's a great text based IRC chat already in place for this thread. I encourage people to use this if they have no interest in using voice chat or when playing with people who can't/don't want to speak online. We won't have text features on our TeamSpeak server, so this'll be the place to go for that. Here's the info for that:

Server: irc.rizon.net
Channel: #SmashGAF
Mibbit Link to Chat

Anyway, let me know if you can help this Friday. Looking forward to when we have everything rolling!
Just saw this post mentioned on mariokart gaf community. I'll be there.

emb

SETTLE IT IN SMASH!
Yeah, we can do this. I'll fight (in Smash) over this. Let's go, euphemism!
Wow. I am at a loss for words. It's a marvel to see the game run. But then again, this is a screw up beyond countless proportions. In what world is it ok for a fighting game to load mid match. How is this acceptable? How are people not talking about it? It made one two minute match near unplayable.

In any case, thanks for verification that this shit is in the full version.
Yeah, it really is bad. I'd be more upset over it if the Wii U version weren't on the way.

Don't go saying that in Virginia - there are a lot of people there who consider everything from Virginia on down to be the Solid South, and Maryland up is the North.

Seriously, I think it's a political-cultural thing: in my experience, liberals like to associate their state with the North and conservatives with the South. In the deep-blue DC metro area, most people are pretty "Northern" - everyone driving eco-friendly cars with Obama bumper stickers - but drive out to western MD and southern VA and you start seeing Confederate flags on pickup trucks.

...huh? This is the Smash thread? Sorry, I thought this was the Regional Culture OT.

SETTLE IT IN SMASH!

http://i.imgur.com/VyVmiGi.gif

lmao the "settle it in Smash" thing gets me every time.

I finally received my press copy of the North American version of the game today. My NDA says I'm not allowed to talk about basically anything that's not officially announced until the game comes out, though. : /

I'm pretty sure we know everything there is to know about the game already, but if anyone has any NA-related questions they want answered somehow I'm all ears. I'll be doing all of my unlocking procedures again tonight, although pre-release Hyrule Warriors is beckoning me too. ^_^

DaBoss

I finally received my press copy of the North American version of the game today. My NDA says I'm not allowed to talk about basically anything that's not officially announced until the game comes out, though. : /

I'm pretty sure we know everything there is to know about the game already, but if anyone has any NA-related questions they want answered somehow I'm all ears. I'll be doing all of my unlocking procedures again tonight, although pre-release Hyrule Warriors is beckoning me too. ^_^
If you can try out online with other people in NA, that would be great.

is mewtwo in it

Timeaisis

To think you would be under NDA, Shigeru. Nintendo is very tight-lipped, I guess.

Don't go saying that in Virginia - there are a lot of people there who consider everything from Virginia on down to be the Solid South, and Maryland up is the North.

Seriously, I think it's a political-cultural thing: in my experience, liberals like to associate their state with the North and conservatives with the South. In the deep-blue DC metro area, most people are pretty "Northern" - everyone driving eco-friendly cars with Obama bumper stickers - but drive out to western MD and southern VA and you start seeing Confederate flags on pickup trucks.

...huh? This is the Smash thread? Sorry, I thought this was the Regional Culture OT

so Virginia is increasingly part of the north? :p

Timeaisis

Ugh there's like a lot more days left, guys. This is painful. I keep telling myself I'm dong with the demo but then I keep going back to it.

Hopefully Hyrule Warriors will ease the impatience a bit.

If you can try out online with other people in NA, that would be great.

Cool, I'll double-check my intensely long NDA again (don't want to miss anything) and then that-permitting check out some latency and things in online tonight. This will probably be the only time I can play online because once the general public gets in the poor games press gets royally trounced (if MK8 is any indicator).

is mewtwo in it

They actually list all of the unlockable characters/stages and specifically tell you not to talk about them! This could be a big thing when the press copies for Wii U come out because that would probably settle any of the questions about additional characters if it isn't already by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom