• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

tumblr_n8pj7bg8iS1rpu5hio1_1280.png

It's from a parody account. Still pretty funny, nonetheless.

l66D5sD.gif

No, it couldn't. Smash has a history of making sure that different characters play differently regardless of move-set overlap aka "clones".
Smash never had characters with changeable genders either. Things change. It's ridiculous to say she couldn't possibly be an alt, especially when her moveset is identical to Marth's.

That's not a snapshot of the website. If you go to it, you'll find it very neat until the bottom where Pit is all on his lonesome.
So... There's a lot of dead space at the bottom lol

You guys are thinking too much. If Lucina was just an alt for Marth, I'm sure it would have been made obvious.
They aren't trying to pull one over on people and get their hopes up for Lucina just to take them away. They even went out of their way to specifically say (with WORDS) look you can be female Robin too... It's like some of you are rooting for her to be an alt

Vashzaron

You know we also got Amiibos in this game, being her own "slot" regardless of clone or "visual change" would fit if she got one of those to not confuse players/buyers.

You guys are thinking too much. If Lucina was just an alt for Marth, I'm sure it would have been made obvious.
They aren't trying to pull one over on people and get their hopes up for Lucina just to take them away. They even went out of their way to specifically say (with WORDS) look you can be female Robin too... It's like some of you are rooting for her to be an alt
They didn't make Chrom's situation obvious. Who knows, hopefully tomorrow's PotD will clarify Lucina's situation.

Myn

Not sure if this was brought up already, but when Charizard was announced, didn't he have a square box on the regular website even though he got a newcomer-like reveal in the Greninja trailer? I highly doubt Lucina is a simple alternate outfit for Marth, she's just getting the same type of reveal treatment that Charizard got.

ding ding ding!
step 1: denial

Not sure if this was brought up already, but when Charizard was announced, didn't he have a square box on the regular website even though he got a newcomer-like reveal in the Greninja trailer? I highly doubt Lucina is a simple alternate outfit for Marth, she's just getting the same type of reveal treatment that Charizard got.
But Charizard was a veteran, like Marth.

exfatal

so what are the chances of us getting an awesome moving stage based of rhythm heaven where you have to time jumps or something, kinda like Wario ware but infinity better.
Also i hope they replace falco with krystal

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Looks like the square shape gave more dead space in that picture.
What? I'm talking about the banner itself. The wide banner is just blue to the right hand side because there is no picture there like the other wide banners because she shares her art with Robin. Miis luckily have a wide bit of art so this isn't a problem for them.

Also I really hope you didn't try to use an image that is not indicative of the site's layout as your argument.

What? I'm talking about the banner itself. The wide banner is just blue to the right hand side because there is no picture there like the other wide banners because she shares her art with Robin. Miis luckily have a wide bit of art so this isn't a problem for them.

Also I really hope you didn't try to use an image that is not indicative of the site's layout as your argument.
No, I thought you were trying to use a "they made it that way because of the sites layout" argument. I'm glad you're not!

Toxi

Banned
So, if you had to pick a track from each Metroid game to be remixed for Smash, which would you pick?

My choices

• Metroid: Brinstar
  • Metroid 2: The Tunnel
  • Super Metroid: Lower Norfair
  • Metroid Fusion: Serris
  • Metroid Prime: Hive Mecha
  • Metroid Prime Hunters: Alinos
  • Metroid Zero Mission: Can't remember any major new ones, so I'll just say Kraid's lair.
  • Metroid Prime 2: Torvus Bog upper part
  • Metroid Prime 3: Rundas
  • Metroid Other M: Desbrachian

So... There's a lot of dead space at the bottom lol
Yes, the bottom where people won't be looking.

This is stupid.

OceanBlue

QeEDYTe.jpg

yMc4Mzu.jpg

Why I think Lucina isn't an alt (other than her having a separate slot on the page and the Twitter account confirming that she was playable lol).

So, if you had to pick a track from each Metroid game to be remixed for Smash, which would you pick?

My choices

• Metroid Zero Mission: Can't remember any major new ones, so I'll just say Kraid's lair.

This is stupid.
I agree, I don't know why the issue of dead space was brought up in the first place, it doesn't mean anything at all.

Smash never had characters with changeable genders either. Things change. It's ridiculous to say she couldn't possibly be an alt, especially when her moveset is identical to Marth's.

Being able to customize a character's gender because "that's how it works in their game" =/= lets make completely different characters alt customs and advertize them as "NEWcomers" with out changing them to play differently like a Clone would.

And we have barely seen her do anything. On top of that we have custom moves in this game so even if she's to Marth what Falco is to Fox she could still get some different moves for her 3 alt move-sets.

Any more?

They didn't make Chrom's situation obvious. Who knows, hopefully tomorrow's PotD will clarify Lucina's situation.

i think chrom's situation was kinda obvious imo but who knows lots of people thought he was playable judging by some posters.

honestly with the lucina situation i really do feel she is going to get her own slot since unlike mac's and villager alts it looks like to me lucina's armor and heck even her signature pose stands out to me but yeah this situation is hella unique and really hope sakurai clarifies

I think it's pretty funny about how we've forgotten all about the WTFness of the Rayman trophy.

alts man just wait till earthbound alts everyone will start melting down lol

Yeah they did? He's part of Robin's Final Smash. It was pretty obvious.

Sakurai always makes things obvious when it comes to playable characters, with the one single exception being the random unexplained pic of Male!WFT back in the day - and most people got the right idea from that, too. Lucina's her own character and I don't understand why there is any confusion on this point.

My choices

This is stupid.

The ones I played:

Super: Meridia
Prime: Phendrana
Echoes: Dark Sanctuary Fortress / Ing Hive (maybe the Quadraxis fight)
Corruption: Elysia

I also played Other M and Hunters but I don't care about them.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
No, I thought you were trying to use a "they made it that way because of the sites layout" argument. I'm glad you're not!

I sure hope you aren't "glad" he's not because you consider that to be a bad argument. Because that's categorically why it is the way it is. I've been making websites professionally for a decade, this is an open and shut case.

Think what you want about Lucina, but her small square is because they announced two newcomers and one veteran at the same time, they want the squares for that all to be together, and there's literally no other way to do it other than making one newcomer into a square. It's math, it's not an opinion.

Being able to customize a character's gender because "that's how it works in their game" =/= lets make completely different characters alt customs and advertize them as "NEWcomers" with out changing them to play differently like a Clone would.

And we have barely seen her do anything. On top of that we have custom moves in this game so even if she's to Marth what Falco is to Fox she could still get some different moves for her 3 alt move-sets.

Any more?
It's pretty obvious that she has the same moveset, that's all we know. We also know that the real newcomers in this game have all been unique characters, and Lucina isn't. We also know that more characters have been getting legit alt costumes, despite not having them in the past.

I can't believe people are so eager to say "there's 100% chance this can't happen" despite what happened this morning lol, especially when there's good reason to believe she could be an alt costume as well as her own character. It's ridiculous.

I sure hope you aren't "glad" he's not because you consider that to be a bad argument. Because that's categorically why it is the way it is. I've been making websites professionally for a decade, this is an open and shut case.

Think what you want about Lucina, but her small square is because they announced two newcomers and one veteran at the same time, they want the squares for that all to be together, and there's literally no other way to do it other than making one newcomer into a square. It's math, it's not an opinion.
Yeah, it's a bad argument. Looking at the website layout to explain things is one of the worst things you can do, you can't learn anything from it.

Correction: after Sakurai teased Ridley without actually showing him, in a manner extremely similar to stunts he's pulled with other playable characters - Palutena in the very same video, most notably.

If Ridley ISN'T playable than there would be no payoff to teasing him, and Sakurai's smarter than to annoy people with teases that lead to no payoff.

I mean, sure, it's true that Sakurai is pretty unpredictable, but he already stated in the past that a playable Ridley would be pretty much impossible. He's just TOO BIG.
The way I see it, Ridley was teased this way to _troll_ people who seriously consider him as a potential newcomer. In one of his Miiverse posts, he even said that "A villain of Samus' past may appear at any moment!" when talking about the Pyrosphere stage. He's teasing Ridley's appearance as a boss character in these super obvious ways without actually showing him to give you guys that tiny sliver of hope of him being playable. Because he knows how badly people want him. He's making fun of you.

Look, I'm not saying that Ridley wouldn't DESERVE to be playable; he's Samus' iconic archnemesis, after all. But he wouldn't work. Brawl already established that he's ten times larger than any Smash character (since he was a boss in that game, too).

If this reveal has proven anything, it's that we're not pawns of some scripted fate.

I.... I can't argue with that though lol.

Gabeking

With the custom movesets that means there really can't be anymore clones, right? Also I've never played the Fire Emblem series but Robin looks cool as hell to play as, can't wait to try him out!

I think it's pretty funny about how we've forgotten all about the WTFness of the Rayman trophy.

I still think it's the most interesting part of the day (Lucina and Robin were kind of a letdown) and I wrote this but nobody gave a shit:

If you remember, in Brawl trophies were divided by franchises (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Sonic, and then the "Other" page"). Now, I think Sakurai is going all-out with trophies, bringing their number to new insane records (I'm expecting at least a thousand of them).
I also think that he wants to represent Nintendo's history in the largest way possible, including even more third parties even if not playable.
The trophies will be divided in two parts first: Nintendo and Third Party (with a different name probably). The first will be divided itself in the different Nintendo franchises, while the other one will be divided by developer. So we'd have Namco/Bandai's part with Pac-Man, the Galaga ships and other things. We'd also have Capcom with a variety of Mega Man trophies, and even some by Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright. We could have the trophy for Ryu without him being playable, or maybe with him being an assist trophy. Konami will have Snake, Belmont and other stuff.
Now, probably the developer could have one character playable, in this case the mascot of their house. So maybe Rayman will still turn out playable, but I have no idea at this point.
I simply would love something like this to happen. Also that hint at the end of Pac-Man's trailer regarding the date makes me think that some sort of "timeline" mode will be available, when you'll be able to pass through a series of different images of many games (simple frames or screenshots) of all the franchises to see their evolution, and compare it with others, similar to that History mode in Brawl which was interesting but pretty basic.

Cody_D165

Banned
There are STILL people who want/expect Ridley to be playable? After Sakurai basically confirmed months ago that he's a boss character? SERIOUSLY?

Ridley is a pretty big long shot but it's definitely still possible. I like this video's conspiracy theory about it.

Plus there's no denying he's huge on the want list for a ton of people and Metroid desperately needs additional characters.

Aβydoς;121028827 said:
I still think it's the most interesting part of the day (Lucina and Robin were kind of a letdown) and I wrote this but nobody gave a shit:

If you remember, in Brawl trophies were divided by franchises (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Sonic, and then the "Other" page"). Now, I think Sakurai is going all-out with trophies, bringing their number to new insane records (I'm expecting at least a thousand of them).
I also think that he wants to represent Nintendo's history in the largest way possible, including even more third parties even if not playable.
The trophies will be divided in two parts first: Nintendo and Third Party (with a different name probably). The first will be divided itself in the different Nintendo franchises, while the other one will be divided by developer. So we'd have Namco/Bandai's part with Pac-Man, the Galaga ships and other things. We'd also have Capcom with a variety of Mega Man trophies, and even some by Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright. We could have the trophy for Ryu without him being playable, or maybe with him being an assist trophy. Konami will have Snake, Belmont and other stuff.
Now, probably the developer could have one character playable, in this case the mascot of their house. So maybe Rayman will still turn out playable, but I have no idea at this point.
I simply would love something like this to happen. Also that hint at the end of Pac-Man's trailer regarding the date makes me think that some sort of "timeline" mode will be available, when you'll be able to pass through a series of different images of many games (simple frames or screenshots) of all the franchises to see their evolution, and compare it with others, similar to that History mode in Brawl which was interesting but pretty basic.

I think Rayman's a trophy because Rayman Legends was published by Nintendo in Japan. That's it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah, it's a bad argument. Looking at the website layout to explain things is one of the worst things you can do, you can't learn anything from it.

I mean we.. may or may not be saying the same thing here. The website looks the way it looks because of website reasons. It doesn't imply one thing or another thing about Lucina. Which I think you just agreed with? Except you also said this:

That doesn't fit the page very well, and they've never done that before. It's a total anomaly. Maybe she's not a real newcomer?

Which sounds like you're arguing the complete opposite.

alts man just wait till earthbound alts everyone will start melting down lol

NUyttbn.gif

Aβydoς;121028827 said:

Yeah, I suppose given the variety of Namco characters, the sky's the limit.

I'd certainly dig Lloyd Irving or Phoenix Wright trophies, random as they would be.

I think Rayman's a trophy because Rayman Legends was published by Nintendo in Japan. That's it.

Or this. Probably this.

I mean we.. may or may not be saying the same thing here. The website looks the way it looks because of website reasons. It doesn't imply one thing or another thing about Lucina. Which I think you just agreed with? Except you also said this:

Which sounds like you're arguing the complete opposite.
Making an argument like "the square is like that to fit the website design" is a bad argument because the website changes layout all the time. What's bad on one screen is good on another. I wouldn't be surprised if there was something up with Lucina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom