• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a conscious decision

mZFMSxq.jpg

Lucina having a small box on the desktop site isn't an oversight. It was deliberate. And it wasn't because she lacks artwork.

Ask yourself why.

To better fit the page.

Next topic?

SkyOdin

Can someone explain the significance of the blue flames?

In Japan, Path of Radiance is called "Trail of Blue Flames". The appearance of blue colored flames is linked to a pretty major plot element of the two games Ike stars in. Furthermore, Ike normally doesn't have any fire powers whatsoever. Him having an attack with red flames doesn't make any sense, and in Brawl was porbably a hold-over from Roy that he inherited. However, he does use a sword attack wreathed in blue flames in the climax of Radiant Dawn. So it actually makes sense for him to have an attack with blue flames.

That's not a very good reason, unless you're suggesting the Robin stole part of Lucina's box.

That doesn't fit the page very well, and they've never done that before. It's a total anomaly. Maybe she's not a real newcomer?

I mean, they're from the same game and they were revealed together. One artwork for both makes sense. To me anyway.

I think a lot of you are thinking too much about this.

kirby_fox

Banned
Our latest roster updates 3 and marks one off.

Has it been settled what Chrom is? Because he looks like he's part of one of Robin's moves in the trailer. Final Smash looking there.

I'm happier the leaker has been ousted now more than I am about the characters. The speculation continues!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Most likely answer: they thought the wide banner with lots of dead space didn't look good so they decided to go with the square shape instead.

No she wouldn't. There's now Splash page for any other alt.
There's no other alt that's a new character. Like I said, it could easily go either way, don't make wild assumptions.

Most likely answer: they thought the wide banner with lots of dead space didn't look good so they decided to go with the square shape instead.
Looks like the square shape gave more dead space in that picture.

She'd still technically be a newcomer if she was an alt costume, but not a real character. We really don't know for sure what her situation is.

I loved that they had Warioware Wario as a newcomer in Brawl, and Classic Wario as its own newcomer in Brawl.

But my favourite newcomers of all has to be Pink Villager and Wireframe Mac.

See how that doesn't make sense?

the thing is there is a lot of white space on the bottom :/ but who knows personally i do think shes gonna be her own character but i really dont want to go any further on it until sakurai confirms it also man wonder how bad it will be once she gets revealed lol

edit: its begun again lol

I loved that they had Warioware Wario as a newcomer in Brawl, and Classic Wario as its own newcomer in Brawl.

But my favourite newcomers of all has to be Pink Villager and Wireframe Mac.

See how that doesn't make sense?
Wireframe Mac is a texture swap, not an alt costume. Also, those characters are still the same character, so they wouldn't need a new character page. So no, that didn't make sense, because it's not an accurate comparison.

mZFMSxq.jpg

Lucina having a small box on the desktop site isn't an oversight. It was deliberate. And it wasn't because she lacks artwork.

Ask yourself why.
Interesting. I would imagine it has something to do with whatever resolution they are testing for in mobile and desktop development.

For my PC at least, the Newcomer banners are starting to line up nicely in rows, with two veterans to their immediate right. And if we had no more veterans it would fit perfectly to have three more newcomers... although this doesn't mean anything because of different resolutions, of course.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

mZFMSxq.jpg

Ask yourself why.

The goal of the page is to make the three characters announced today the three newest icons on the page. As you size down your window, this means you can't have two of those three icons be wide 3x banners. The 5x window width allows for 5 small icons, or one 3x icon and 2 small icons. If Lucina and Robin were both 3x, that window width would break.

They put themselves in a difficult situation by announcing two newcomers and one returning character, the site was built with the assumption that there would be more recurring characters between or in conjunction with each reveal in order to keep things organized. This time that wasn't the case, they couldn't have two 3x banners at the same time without two small icons to act as buffer. Since there was only one recurring character, they were forced to demote one of the 3x banners to the small icon size on the desktop site.

On the mobile site this isn't an issue, since their layout does not need to scale to the same width. Accordingly, they can use the full banner size.

Anyone using this to try and justify Lucina being categorized as some alternate form of character is completely out of their mind. It is a simple layout issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom