• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My best friend IRL's name is Isaac and the constant (mis?)spelling of Issac drives me bonkers.
And for that I say keep him out of the roster!
In all seriousness though, I just want more surprises! Those are the best.... And Mewtwo

In my opinion, Metroid 2 not only has the worst Metroid soundtrack, but one of the worst game soundtracks out there period. which is pretty amazing considering the series great history in the field.

Half of it isn't even music.

It's an OG Gameboy game. There's only so much that could be done

Put the artwork on Lucinas wide box and then space out Robin's two renders to flesh out their wide box without artwork.

Good effort, but try again.

tbf the main focus of the video was robin so it only makes sense he gets the pic..imo... honestly lucina is super weird and i reiterate i really do hope sakurai frees us or keeps us locked in agony as he trolls his way to release

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You know, I might be in the minority, but after guessing pretty much everything right bar leaving out Rosalina and now getting Chrom wrong, I find it a bit odd how people are suddenly acting like Gematsu has been completely blown out.

Honestly, I'm still on Team Gematsu...considering Sakurai mentioned how early in development Greninja was just an XY Space, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that at one point it was simply "Chrom" being reported, or perhaps it was "Fire Emblem Awakening Protagonist", and the leaker assumed it to be Chrom since that makes the most sense. Lucina also seems like a pretty late addition since she seems to just be a clone of Marth more or less, explaining her absence, and possibly Dark Pit too since he seems like he'll be a clone of Pit.

I also can't fault the leaker assuming it was Shulk being revealed when the Xenoblade guy also re-tweeted the announcement, as if they were expecting Shulk as well.

I think people are being a bit reactionary thinking that today's confirmation opens up the floodgates for like King K. Rool and Ridley and tons of other characters, when in reality Gematsu is probably mostly right and we just have Shulk, Chorus Men (or perhaps another Rhythm Heaven character), and maybe Dark Pit and some other low-effort clones left.

DaBoss

This sounds amazing.
Put the artwork on Lucinas wide box and then space out Robin's two renders to flesh out their wide box without artwork.

Good effort, but try again.
lmao

I don't get why you're telling me to do this...tell the people who maintain the site. They put the artwork on Robin's page and there is nothing I can do about it.

Maybe your hypothetical scenario would have been the best option for them, but they didn't do that, so there is no point in talking about the hypothetical scenario.

Then there is the gameplay that was focused mostly on Robin.

My best friend IRL's name is Isaac and the constant (mis?)spelling of Issac drives me bonkers.
And for that I say keep him out of the roster!

How could you say no to this face?

The_Sad_Onion_Isaac.png

Wouldn't they showcase her unique points in this kind of reveal trailer?

If she's a clone I wouldn't expect her to get much focus at all, which is exactly wut happened. Falco level clone is wut I expect, different twist on the character's move-set and attributes with a few different attacks tossed in. Which is ok seeing how it's completely in line with her character.

Durden77

It's not really hype, more like mindless bickering.

I assure you, my hype is REAL.

This is the first day in a long time that I've been this stoked for a reveal. I've just been sitting here waiting on Snake and Falcon for so long and expecting to just succumb to Gematsu in the end.

Then Sakurai not only shows a Rayman trophy, blowing people's brains and leading me to believe more that Snake is returning, but then he shows Falcon in the most bad-ass way humanly possible, and he also drops a massive bomb on Gematsu in the process, freeing speculation once again. In a matter of three minutes.

I, at least, am VERY HYPE.

exfatal

calling it now, jigglypuff gonna be revealed along side chorus kids, and Ness revealed fighting with Shulk with the both of them holding back a rampaging Ridely

You know, I might be in the minority, but after guessing pretty much everything right bar leaving out Rosalina and now getting Chrom wrong, I find it a bit odd how people are suddenly acting like Gematsu has been completely blown out.

Honestly, I'm still on Team Gematsu...considering Sakurai mentioned how early in development Greninja was just an XY Space, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that at one point it was simply "Chrom" being reported, or perhaps it was "Fire Emblem Awakening Protagonist", and the leaker assumed it to be Chrom since that makes the most sense. Lucina also seems like a pretty late addition since she seems to just be a clone of Marth more or less, explaining her absence, and possibly Dark Pit too since he seems like he'll be a clone of Pit.

I also can't fault the leaker assuming it was Shulk being revealed when the Xenoblade guy also re-tweeted the announcement, as if they were expecting Shulk as well.

I think people are being a bit reactionary thinking that today's confirmation opens up the floodgates for like King K. Rool and Ridley and tons of other characters, when in reality Gematsu is probably mostly right and we just have Shulk, Chorus Men (or perhaps another Rhythm Heaven character), and maybe Dark Pit and some other low-effort clones left.

well duh, people are desperate to believe in their favorites again

NeonZ

If she's a clone I wouldn't expect her to get much focus at all, which is exactly wut happened. Falco level clone is wut I expect, different twist on the character's move-set and attributes with a few different attacks tossed in. Which is ok seeing how it's completely in line with her character.

But she did get a few scenes in the trailer showing her attacks. What I mean is that if she had original attacks or at least visually tweaked attacks, wouldn't they have shown those there, rather than just ones that look identical to Marth's?

Edit: Also, she even has the same standing stance as Marth - and even the Melee clones had their own standing poses.

I'm incredibly happy with the reveal today.

Before Ike was announced I only wanted a few things: Ike, Chrom, and Lucina alt for Marth. I thought I was asking for too much. I fully expected Chrom to show up but was iffy on Ike and thought Lucina was a pipe dream.

Now I have Ike back and Lucina is at the very least an alt. (Whether shes an alt/clone/partial clone/unique has been debated.) The only thing I didn't get was Chrom. He seems to be part of Robins FS, but I feel there may still be a sliver of hope for him being playable since he does have an in game model. Possibly DLC or a secret unlockable. But I'm not holding my breath.

Regarding Robin, I always agreed that having a mixed sword/magic user would be awesome and seeing a male/female Robin in the game would be awesome. So I'm incredibly happy about Robin making the cut. Overall I'm super stoked and I'm glad a played FE:A earlier this year because it has made this reveal so much better.

Guesong

As EmCeeGramr and other posters rightly underlined in the other thread, it's time to stop thinking as "The Leak" as being a matter of black and white.

It is not, and never was, gospel. Maybe the leaker is entirely legit still, as human mistakes happens. But as Rosalina proved before it, and as today reminds us (not only as Chrom being disconfirmed but also as Shulk not being there yet), real leak or not, there is more to the game than what he told us and there is no reason to think X/Y/Z character is out or in based on their absence in his list.

Today's events officially made him an unreliable source.

Azure J

I actually do still believe in the content relayed in the Gematsu leaks. My excitement comes from a definitive counter to the "Gematsu's second leak are the only characters left" parroting that dominated most of the Smash discussions around the internet up for me until 10AM EST today.

At the same time, even that is beginning to show signs of wear mostly because of how the leaker handled themselves after getting swerved on by Sakurai and company.

But she did get a few scenes in the trailer showing her attacks. What I mean is that if she had original attacks or at least visually tweaked attacks, wouldn't they have shown those there, rather than just ones that look identical to Marth's?

i think the only piece of actual animation they showed that was different was her doing her stance i have to admit her special move animations and w/e we have seen of her movewise seems super similar to marth

I'm hoping that Sakurai clarifies what exactly Lucina is in the POTD tonight just so that we all realize how much time and effort we've wasted today.

honestly im hoping the same :T

jph139

I'm hoping that Sakurai clarifies what exactly Lucina is in the POTD tonight just so that we all realize how much time and effort we've wasted today.

Didn't notice this. Does this mean Ike's flames are now blue? It would be weird if his flames were only blue for his entrance but red for his attacks. I'm hoping this means they changed it.

Edit: Actually, this looks like it could be eruption and not his entrance? I can't really tell.

It's Eruption's ending animation into his taunt animation.

Guesong

Man, a day's worth of bickering to be ended when Sakurai talks about Lucina tommorow.

Do it Sakurai.

End this madness, I beg thee!

We think alike!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I actually do still believe in the content relayed in the Gematsu leaks. My excitement comes from a definitive counter to the "Gematsu's second leak are the only characters left" parroting that dominated most of the Smash discussions around the internet up for me until 10AM EST today.

At the same time, even that is beginning to show signs of wear mostly because of how the leaker handled themselves after getting swerved on by Sakurai and company.

Has the leaker said anything so far except for "I thought it was Shulk?"

And even the Xenoblade dude's retweet seemed to suggest that was Sakurai's assumed plan by them as well.

How is he handling himself poorly?

DaBoss

That soccer ball edit lol.
Born in a world of leaks, against the odds, they choose to hype

(See, this thread title still works even without Shulk's reveal.)
That's how I viewed the thread title lol.
I actually do still believe in the content relayed in the Gematsu leaks. My adulation comes from a definitive counter to the "Gematsu's second leak are the only characters left" parroting that dominated most of the Smash discussions around the internet up for me until 10AM EST today.
Yup, this is how I saw it as well. It limited discussion by a tenfold cause the responses would be "but Gematsu leaked characters are the only ones left".

Here's my post about how I view the Gematsu leaker's actions:
Personally, I feel the added commentary on the 3rd leak was just the leaker trying to give some info since the leaker has no more. So basically, I'm saying the DLC comment, and Lucas comment may have been made up just for the sake of having something new.

The leaker didn't tell us any character was going to be revealed during directs and Smash related events, so it is really odd the leaker decided to say yesterday we will be seeing Shulk today (after everyone who follows Smash closely would guess Shulk is today).

I feel like the guy has no info outside of everything he/she posted before the Smash Direct.

Videoneon

So what do people think of Robin's moveset potential? Unless the recovery is very quick after casting/lots of stun on magic attack Robin doesn't seem like a great Doubles or FFA person. But the trailer showed off what seemed to be some decent looking normals, there was something that appeared to be a dtilt that came out super fast.

How does running out of magic work? usage based? Do any of Robin's tilts or aerials use magic? - I've seen Robin use magic in the air but you can't say for sure if that's an aerial or not. Ideally in a 1v1 scenario you would just get a new tome every time you take a stock but since Robin seems to be more defensive there will definitely be characters who are able to wage a war of attrition on Robin, whether it be through mobility/applying pressure or being similarly defensive. I assume that his magic is how Robin will apply pressure in any case. Sword looks understandably short ranged.

If I had to guess, just as someone who watches Smash a lot this doesn't seem like the recipe for being a great character.

of course this only reflects what we can currently observe and my own thoughts

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I hope Ridley and King K. Rool are Marth alts, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom