• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Several pages back I saw someone post an image of a roster they'd be happy with that they still thought was plausible.

Inspired me to go back and create a roster that I'd be really happy with. This is made trying to make as few cuts as possible, stay within the realm of characters that would fit with the theme and history of Nintendo, and be interesting. Some of them are newcomers we've gotten either because I already wanted them or realized I wanted them after they were announced.

Enjoy, feel free to tell me how terrible my tastes and dreams are =)

4FU3DdW.jpg
Uncle Jesse's gonna be banned to ubers

Qurupeke

I fully expect a Smash Direct, similar to the MK8 direct before the 3DS version launches so Sakurai can make last minute announcements and character reveals that aren't hidden
Will we get hidden characters this time? On Mario Kart 8's case they pretty much revealed everything a month before its release. Character, stages, modes. Revealing everything on Smash would be impossible of course, but I still expect the characters and maybe the 3DS stages.

Spinluck

People still arguing whether Lucina is an alt? That was my minimum wish in order for her to get in but now that's she's confirmed, of course she's a separate character. Clone Toon Link is separate from Link already, Lucina has that mask animation from the screenshot, and would they really have gone through all the trouble to make specific animations and voice for her just to make her a separate costume for Marth that takes X amount of clicks to get through? I don't think the select screen will change from Marth to Lucina or box in Marth/Lucina in one square. Seems like a hassle.

Let us embrace her like Toon Link or Melee Falco and Ganondorf.

Pretty much this, some of her pics and footage clearly show animations/poses specifically made for her.

OK NOW I'M DONE.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You think SEGA, Namco, and Capcom might use some of their other games for Trophies?

I could see like some of the Street Fighter dudes as Trophies and just lift them from SSIV3DS in the 3DS Version.

Azure J

Black Mage would be the single coolest rep SquareEnix could ever contribute to Smash.

So what are others rivalries we could get if they went all the way with it?

We have Pit and Link, Fire Emblem vs Captain Falcon.

I'd see a Greninja/Sheik rivalry.

Or Mario/Pac-Man.

Confirmed characters only or in general?

Takamaru vs Greninja + Shiek writes itself.
Ike vs. Palutena is a ridiculously good one if you consider Radiant Dawn.
Marth/Lucina/Robin vs. (Mega) Charizard
Ness + Lucas vs. Mewtwo

You think SEGA, Namco, and Capcom might use some of their other games for Trophies?

I could see like some of the Street Fighter dudes as Trophies and just lift them from SSIV3DS in the 3DS Version.

i think tekken and sf will probably get some trophy love and bayonetta might get one (albeit probably with a more *safer pose*)

Kriken

Will we get hidden characters this time? On Mario Kart 8's case they pretty much revealed everything a month before its release. Character, stages, modes. Revealing everything on Smash would be impossible of course, but I still expect the characters and maybe the 3DS stages.

Eh, Sakurai=/=Nintendo, it really depends on if he wants to reveal everything important before launch or not. I honestly doubt he will, and will do hidden characters again, but only time will tell

During the female Robin portion of the trailer you can see her seamlessly go from using a fire move to a thunder move with no switching mechanic in between... Hmmm

now with 50% more gold

yeah i noticed this too which makes it all the more confusing (i am really looking forward to sakurai giving us some more details)

I'm starting to think Robin may just join Palutena and the Miis as one of those 'a bunch of special moves' characters. I feel like that would have just been highlighted originally though.
Watching the color of her tome change without instigating it was definitely strange. Any possibility throwing away the tome is just a taunt and there is no deeper mechanic that was seemingly alluded to?

My friend just watched the trailer and sent me this text:

"Falcon literally knocked Chrom out of the roster by beating the shit out of him hahahaha"

;_;

Golnei

A troll-off? With Kamiya? Sakurai would win.

Now a troll-off with Kojima... Harder to say.

Kojima circa 2001 would be an easy victor, but he's declined in recent years - MGSV was too much for too little payoff. Sakurai seems unrivaled in the current climate, but Aonuma seems to want to challenge him if his Zelda U comments are to be believed.

Hatchtag

Banned

"Falcon literally knocked Chrom out of the roster by beating the shit out of him hahahaha"

;_;

Captain Falcon is the only character to literally beat the hell out of someone until they aren't a newcomer anymore.
Best veteran confirmed.

Kouichi

;_;

It's like Chrom went to fight Captain Falcon as a test by the Smash Overlords to see if he's viable, and got wrecked hard.

Spinluck

A troll-off? With Kamiya? Sakurai would win.

Now a troll-off with Kojima... Harder to say.

Sakurai is a better troll than Kojima.

Not even looking at his full resume for the Troll Hall of Fame, you have the Chrom troll, Rayman trophy troll, 70% of the POTDs.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Still feels like it would've been somewhat more sensical to have Meta Knight be the veteran battling the medieval knight characters.

Jaeger

Seeing how awesome the newcomers all look, I think back to before this game was announced and how we were all wondering what characters they could add. Most suggestions felt like bottom-of-the-barrel filler.

But we got Mega Man (and all of the other Mega Mans in his Final Smash), which still seems too good to be true

And Pac-Man, so goddamn HAPPY and done better than anyone expected, repping Namco's arcade legacy

And Villager, who has a perfect name (better than the "Animal Crossing Male" that was so often thrown about) and who represents his series perfectly

And Wii Fit Trainer, who no one saw coming, but is so hilariously well-implemented with her yoga-based moves and deep breathing/sun salutation combo

And Rosalina & Luma, done SO MUCH better than anyone anticipated, thanks to the puppeteer/stand character gimmick with Luma

And Little Mac, who has an incredibly interesting risk/reward setup with the super armor and superpower on the ground but weakness in the air

And Greninja, who didn't exist prior to development of the new Super Smash Bros. but is probably one of the coolest Pokémon EVER

And Palutena, who has been around for decades but is practically a new character following her reinvention in Uprising, and is AWESOME

And Mii Fighters, who come in three badass variants and have customizable clothing and look all-around inspired and a blast to use

And Robin, who comes in male and female and features a variety of spell-casting for a truly unique FE newcomer

And Lucina, who is an angelic vision in tall, tight, form-fitting leather boots

SO GOOD

Great post.

Interestingly enough, the only character I specifically asked for has yet to show up, but I have a good feeling he will return as a hidden fighter.

NeonZ

So the Robin theme is the Fire Emblem Melee theme which is the Support Convo Shadow Dragon theme?

Shadow Dragon didn't have Support Convos. That's the recruitment theme, a theme that plays in Shadow Dragon whenever you talk to a character during battle and they join your side afterwards. I liked most of Awakening's OST, but I hated how there was no cheesy recruitment theme...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom