• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.
according to someone in that thread, they did something similar for Brawl, but only ended up showing stuff which was already officially announced. Don't get too excited.

Oh cool. Learning everything through a Japanese magazine is bullshit and I was really hoping that wouldn't happen, aha.

Compositionally, I mostly agree, but I'm not sure if I'd prefer the GBA's legendarily shit sound synthesis over this.

...Actually, what did you think of Natsumi Kameoka's orchestrations for that soundtrack?

What orchestrations are you talking about? I didn't see what you were mentioning on her discography, unless you meant her work on the Kid Icarus OST.

The Kid Icarus OST is great overall, and is loads more "passable" than some of the other work that relies extensively on software instruments. When I bring up extensive samples I'm not a huge fan of, the easiest comparison I can make is the original Saturos battle theme from the original Golden Sun versus its "modernized" equivalent in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Orchestral percussion isn't a big turn-off for me as far as sampling goes because a lot of the East West samples are a really good go-to even nowadays - the easiest tell for me is chromatic percussion. Kid Icarus is using a separate software instrument for the xylophones, so it's already a step in the right direction, imo. Sakuraba just gets way too reliant on his personal batch of samples that basically sounded dated after 2004 or 2005, and as a result you get stuff like this. There were a bunch of questionably "dated" pieces in Brawl, but overall Sakurai seems to be really good about keeping people in check with their arrangements and everything.

While Smash 4 isn't as organic-sounding as I'd like it to be, it at least sounds of-the-time, which is something I can't necessarily say for a good 85% of Brawl's soundtrack.

Was Dark Souls 1 Midi? Sometimes it sounded like it, but sometimes it sounded damn near close to an orchestra.

Going over a few pieces, yeah, it looks to be. Most obvious example I can think of looking at a few tracks is the Iron Golem theme - those "anvils" (the metallic dings and slams in the percussion) and the choir yells are dead giveaways. The harp he uses for it is also a pretty major tell, but again, the harp in East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra is a pretty reliable instrument that won't sound dated for a while.

Ryce

I’ve been going through some of my old posts, and I figured it would be fun to make these lists…

Embarrassing predictions
  • Little Mac might not be playable because of Villager’s boxing punches
  • Zoroark is more likely than an X/Y newcomer
  • Chrom is the only plausible Fire Emblem newcomer
  • Lucina might be an alternate skin for Marth

Accurate predictions
  • The only plausible Animal Crossing character is the protagonist with boy/girl variations (pre-Gematsu)
  • Mega Man and Pac-Man are the only plausible third-party newcomers (pre-Gematsu)
  • Little Mac is the only Brawl Assist Trophy with any chance of being playable
  • Miis will be customizable characters and not based off of Wii Sports/etc.

Jaeger

Thats foolish, fire emblem being a JRPG in modern times isn't enough. The series haven't reached the popularity of the tales, or final fantasy series.

You have to remember smash reaches fans who are old school nintendo fans, not all of those fans play on current nintendo platforms. Fire Emblem really only began picking up popularity after melee. It doesn't have enough pull for fans who are not up on the latest from nintendo...

People may recognize marth, and maybe ike from the series, but unless they play or research the game future characters are probably lost on them too.

..huh?

Fire Emblem is an old franchise. Nintendo Entertainment System old. And if you are a fan of the Smash franchise, and have been playing it at least as early as Brawl, all the appropriate information is in there. And hell, it's the internet. How hard is it really to discover a character's origins nowadays?

The time it takes to complain about how you don't know where these 4 characters come from in the new Smash Bros. on a message board could easily yield those answers with a little searching on their own. And new fans are the ones most familiar with the newer characters. Awakening sold great numbers. To children, mostly.

Azure J

Cool to see the Lucina stuff clarified so quickly. Funny how my brother and I were just having a really involved conversation about whether or not removing the tipper mechanic on Marth's game play design would immediately make him worse or not like 3 days prior to finding out about Lucina's combat design. Guess we'll be testing that hypothesis pretty soon!

That said, more Robin updates please. I sincerely hope that there isn't too much RNG or min-maxing required to use the character correctly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I predicted Chrom because everyone lead me to believe he was a shoe in (never played a Fire Emblem game). Though when Ike was revealed I started having doubts.

Action!

Neo Member
Man, I spent so much time rambling to my buddy about how cool a Tactician from FE: A would be in Smash. I lost my mind at that reveal.

I'm alright with Lucina being a clone. I've never liked Marth much as a character, but I'll definitely play as her every now and then.

C'moooon, Nintendo. Give me that Ness/Lucas defending Onett against Ganondorf trailer. It's what the world needs.

Son Of D

Actually I think it's July 30 or 31

It's the 31st. I only remember that date because it's my birthday.

Clearly, they should take after PLvsAA's concept art and use Dark Layton and Wonder Phoenix.

Unite Objection? Dark Layton rises?

As for my favourite trailers in terms of hype:

Mega Man
Little Mac
Robin and Lucina
Pac Man
Greninja
Mii Fighters
Rosalina
Wii Fit Trainer
Palutena
Villager

Villager's was overshadowed by the pacing of his reveal as well as Mega Man, Palutena's should have focused more on how she plays as opposed to just showing her specials and Wii Fit Trainer's was one that I was told about before she was shown.

Ahahaha those people from smashboards
http://imgur.com/a/8uTyh

Well... That's different that's for sure.

georly

I’ve been going through some of my old posts, and I figured it would be fun to make these lists…

Embarrassing predictions
  • Little Mac might not be playable because of Villager’s boxing punches
  • Zoroark is more likely than an X/Y newcomer
  • Chrom is the only plausible Fire Emblem newcomer
  • Lucina might be an alternate skin for Marth

Accurate predictions
  • The only plausible Animal Crossing character is the protagonist with boy/girl variations (pre-Gematsu)
  • Mega Man and Pac-Man are the only plausible third-party newcomers (pre-Gematsu)
  • Little Mac is the only Brawl Assist Trophy with any chance of being playable
  • Miis will be customizable characters and not based off of Wii Sports/etc.

Not shabby at all. I'm trying to think of my own, but the one the immediately comes to mind is that I was sure that robin wouldn't be playable since robin was a user-created character (in a franchise where that was the ONLY user created character, unlike Mii/Villager).

Back in the day, I think I and a lot of other people assumed megaman's neutral B would act like kirby's only you'd gain their power when you defeated an opponent.

I love email tags.

Indeed. It's also a way to hide stuff from lurkers. I used them to give out club nintendo codes to fellow gaffers.

SuperSah

Banned
Just saw this image. Judging by the splash next to Link, not the shark, it looks like water and swimming has finally been implemented into Tortimer's Island:

screen-10.jpg

GAMERG0D

I could have sworn I saw someone in this thread say that CoroCoro showed the whole MK8 roster. Plus that Brawl thing in the magazine was 7 years ago. Maybe we'll have a new veteran or too if it doesn't have everything. Still, we have Mega Pokemon and the bi-monthly direct to look forward to.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm very happy to see him clarify this now. No more being aloof with this type of thing. Just let us know now since the 3DS version will be out in a matter of weeks.

I welcome Lucina, our fleshed out Marth clone!

emb

Cool to see the Lucina stuff clarified so quickly. Funny how my brother and I were just having a really involved conversation about whether or not removing the tipper mechanic on Marth's game play design would immediately make him worse or not like 3 days prior to finding out about Lucina's combat design. Guess we'll be testing that hypothesis pretty soon!
I think it depends a lot on how much power loss is there.

Getting more out of those hurried mid-blade hits that some times come up would be nice, but having lower max power from tipper hurts. Beyond that, having the weaker center blade hits was previously good for combos (maybe in Brawl too?), but now Lucy is probably going to have less variety in the different ways she hits her opponents. I'm really interested to try it out. I hope she's a little faster than Marth though. His moves felt fairly slow in 4 from my 2 minute demo.

JCX

I feel like the PotD was directed right at message board speculation over clones. Sakurai really knows his base.

Tripon

I'm glad Lucina's a clone, it means that it makes it that much easier for her to eventually develop her own fighting personality away from Marth from either patches or new games in the series.

That is how it always works.

georly

I'm glad Lucina's a clone, it means that it makes it that much easier for her to eventually develop her own fighting personality away from Marth from either patches or new games in the series.

That is how it always works.

Also makes it easier to cut her for the next smash bros :p (note, I love lucina and do not want her cut)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom