• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

I'm not counting alt or female/male version. only based on number of move sets like Sakurai did with Brawl. 39 movesets (39 characters tho)

We usually go by number of unique movesets. Melee had 26 unique movesets, and Brawl had 39.

(Yes, Lucina does count as a unique moveset. She's not different by much, but she's still different.)

:p Was about to prod about lucina. Your moveset count is the same as character slot count this time around since there are no more transforming characters anymore.

Beelzebub

Im happy... I actually wanted another Marth with different properties. hopefully she has better potential since Marth seemed meh in this game.

Between the two newcomers, Captain Falcon, the implications of these reveals going forward, possible leaks, the CoroCoro announcement, and the Rayman trophy, we have a lot to complain about.

Fixed that for ya.

In all seriousness, we've had some good tidbits in this thread already, but I'd be willing to bet that over half these pages were just horribly drawn out hissy fits over some truly silly stuff.

The guy in the IGN rewind whining that Marth isn't good because he wasn't good with him at E3 playing how he plays melee makes me sick. At least the other dude is optimistic and nice to listen to.

Ryce

Between the [...] Rayman trophy, we have a lot to talk about.
I wasn't here when the Rayman trophy was revealed, but I really think people are overestimating its implications. Rayman Legends, on which the trophy is based, was published exclusively by Nintendo in Japan. It just seems really strange to the rest of the world because Ubisoft published the game in the West and decided to release it on other platforms.

Ryce

We still don't know if the three Mii styles will share a slot, though.
A Nintendo rep said that they all share a single tile on the select screen. I still consider the three types separate characters, though (like Pokémon Trainer).

I wasn't here when the Rayman trophy was revealed, but I really think people are overestimating its implications. Rayman Legends, on which the trophy is based, was published exclusively by Nintendo in Japan. It just seems really strange to the rest of the world because Ubisoft published the game in the West and decided to release it on other platforms.

Yeah, I agree, but that was still a fairly major topic yesterday.

georly

A Nintendo rep said that they all share a single tile on the select screen. I still consider the three types separate characters, though (like Pokémon Trainer).

Hard to know whether nintendo reps know the truth though. They may have played some early build where they were, but that can all change for the end. They could have also just been misinformed or misinterpreted the information that was given. Unless said nintendo rep works inside the treehouse, take anything they say w/ a grain of salt (unless backed by SEVERAL reps).

Oh, had no idea nintendo published rayman legends. It all makes sense now.

If Smash 4 doesn't have at least 500 songs I'll be sad.

Brawl had at least 300 including jingles
I'm a bit worried about the soundtrack. I remember Sakurai talking a lot about the tracks and the composers in the Brawl Dojo, he's very quiet about them this time.

JediLink

The guy in the IGN rewind whining that Marth isn't good because he wasn't good with him at E3 playing how he plays melee makes me sick. At least the other dude is optimistic and nice to listen to.
Of course, there's no possible way that Marth could have actually been nerfed. Sakurai would never do such a thing. After all, we all remember how Captain Falcon was the most powerful and satisfying character to play in Brawl.

georly

That would suckkkk though D:

I like unlocking characters. A lot.

I like playing with a limited roster at first because it makes the unlockable characters more exciting to play. It's like having to wait for dessert. Once you're an adult and can just eat dessert whenever you want, it becomes a lot less exciting. When you're a kid and your parents say 'no dessert until you're done,' dessert is HYPE :p You want it so bad because you can't have it. Same with unlockable characters. They're the dessert of smash. If you give them all to me at the start, while that's kinda neat if you and some friends just wanna pick whoever, it makes it wayyyyyyyyyyy less exciting.

Of course, there's no possible way that Marth could have actually been nerfed. Sakurai would never do such a thing. After all, we all remember how Captain Falcon was the most powerful and satisfying character to play in Brawl.

A possibility I acknowledge. But A. Probably should be nerfed and B. He can complain all he wants after he actually has the game and tries new tactics. I don't want any of this "my previous game tactics don't work so waaahhh"

Ryce

I only see two realistic options regarding hidden characters:

1. There are no hidden characters.
2. There are hidden characters, but the full roster will be revealed prior to launch anyway.

If there were traditional post-release hidden characters like in the previous games, then all four Fire Emblem characters wouldn't have been revealed already. Surely one or two of them would have been kept secret.

Berordn

If there were traditional post-release hidden characters like in the previous games, then all four Fire Emblem characters wouldn't have been revealed already. Surely one or two of them would have been kept secret.

you just need to dream bigger

60 character roster
8 fire emblem characters~

My money's still on no secret characters prior to release, but still plenty of unlockables in the game.

I'm assuming this will be a Pikachu alt:

DiMVNQc.jpg

Would probably go nicely with Little Mac's inevitable Big Mac alt as a DLC costume pack.

Pic of the day. Along with Robin, Lucina joins the battle!! Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A. However, where Marth's power is concentrated in the tip of the sword, Lucina's attack strength is balanced throughout the weapon, which might make her easier to control. She's also a little bit shorter than Marth.

and on this day a certain poster with a bullfrog avatar was vindicated

Azure J

A possibility I acknowledge. But A. Probably should be nerfed and B. He can complain all he wants after he actually has the game and tries new tactics. I don't want any of this "my previous game tactics don't work so waaahhh"

Marth has always just been a solid character with a sensible set of strengths and weaknesses. I really never understood why people feel he is consistently oppressive or "too good" and "should be nerfed" especially given the range nerf he got going into Brawl. That said, I do want to see how he performs in final build footage/my own experience.

Man, more and more I listen/read impressions of people who play this series and discuss its different elements and feel like I'm slowly drifting from the general opinions of the larger player base...

Anth0ny

you're right

who are we to judge the demo we are playing

marth is great

Berordn

SSE is better than no SSE.

Unless SSE is taking resources away from other potential features in the game, which it likely did.

So it's not that SSE > nothing (that much is true), it's that SSE < uniquely modeled trophies, more numerous/varied game modes, more stages, more characters, etc

I only see two realistic options regarding hidden characters:

1. There are no hidden characters.
2. There are hidden characters, but the full roster will be revealed prior to launch anyway.

Well we haven't seen the last two FE reps duh! Anna and Roy are secret.

georly

After captain falcon reveal, I really doubt we're getting secret characters as well. In this age of the internet, everything will be spoiled anyway, so it might as well be sakurai.

After captain falcon reveal, I really doubt we're getting secret characters as well. In this age of the internet, everything will be spoiled anyway, so it might as well be sakurai.

I agree. Only weird thing is how many veterans there are left to reveal (seemingly) if everything is getting revealed before mid September reveals better pick up the pace!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Port Town Aero Dive was one of the more interesting reveals since it was a starting stage and yet wasn't shown before release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom