• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XI: Where 90% correct equals 100% wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahnez

on an unrelated note, does anyone mind holding the only handful of Pokemon I care about in my original Pokemon Y file while I don't have Pokebank? I'm going to be restarting lol
I could if my PCs weren't almost filled up :p

But poke bank is very cheap, its safer to just buy a year of acess and restart

Considering the guy developing Super Smash Bros. 3DS is the same one who created the first game to use the CCP, I don't think anyone has to worry about that not being an option. I mean, they created a sole adaptor and brand of GC controller just for the Wii U. Seriously.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Considering the guy developing Super Smash Bros. 3DS is the same one who created the first game to use the CCP, I don't think anyone has to worry about that not being an option. I mean, they created a sole adaptor and brand of GC controller just for the Wii U. Seriously.
Technically the CCP was designed for Monster Hunter.

Lunar15

On a tangent here, but I was remembering the first time I ever heard about smash bros. I had this one friend who would lie and make up stuff all the time, I never believed a word he said. Of course, he was the one who told me about Smash Bros and I absolutely didn't believe it. I didn't have a subscription to Nintendo Power, so I had no idea that the game was announced, all I had was his word.

I mean, think about it. Someone was telling me that there would be a fighting game with Link and Pikachu and Mario? At the time, that was so far fetched. I was convinced he was lying up until the day I went to a store and actually saw a placeholder for the game. I was so stunned it was like seeing the real Santa Claus after telling yourself he wasn't real. I can vividly remember how I felt when I found out.

He ended up buying the game before I did, so I'd go to his house and play it, but man he held it over me for a long time. Don't know why he didn't just show me his Nintendo Power, though.

georly

On a tangent here, but I was remembering the first time I ever heard about smash bros. I had this one friend who would lie and make up stuff all the time, I never believed a word he said. Of course, he was the one who told me about Smash Bros and I absolutely didn't believe it. I didn't have a subscription to Nintendo Power, so I had no idea that the game was announced, all I had was his word.

I mean, think about it. Someone was telling me that there would be a fighting game with Link and Pikachu and Mario? At the time, that was so far fetched. I was convinced he was lying up until the day I went to a store and actually saw a placeholder for the game. I was so stunned it was like seeing the real Santa Claus after telling yourself he wasn't real. I can vividly remember how I felt when I found out.

He ended up buying the game before I did, so I'd go to his house and play it, but man he held it over me for a long time. Don't know why he didn't just show me his Nintendo Power, though.

I found out about it on IGN! That and the evangelion game. Dunno how or why, but it was super cool to learn about.

I first heard of smash bros when my folks got it for my sister for her 8th birthday. Me and my buddies were college students stuck in the playstation phase. But man we played it we were hooked!

Neiteio

I first found out about Smash 64 at nintendo.com. I think they had a Pak Watch section, like Nintendo Power -- nothing fancy, just a list of game names, but you could click each link for a brief synopsis, some screens and maybe some art if you were lucky. It was especially neat for seeing all of the games coming to Japan that may or may not come over here.

At any rate, seeing Smash 64 didn't blow my mind or anything -- I was like, "Oh, Donkey Kong is fighting Pikachu, neat." Seemed kind of like a sensible project to my elementary school self. I remember thinking it looked ugly as hell at the time; even by N64 standards, those character models and backgrounds were ass, lol.

Oddly charming now, though.

Kyzon

I first heard of smash when I saw the commercial I think.

Orrrr in Nintendo Power.

One or the other, and I got it day one with my own money. I stopped eating lunch in school to save for it.

Ahnez

I dunno. I just presumed that it would work like arcade stick or different controllers?
Normally, the game recognizes inputs as simple commands, like

Button A pressed -> do thing 1
Button B pressed -> do thing 2
[···]
Button L pressed -> do thing x

but, as its not part of the actual hardware, not all games have something programed for it, so it ends up like
Input ->
So, nothing happens.. But the controls is one of the easiest things to code in a game, I'm sure the CPP will be supported :)

Mark1

One thing I want to learn how to perform is doing tilts with perfection. I can rarely do them and feel it limits what I can do with combo heavy characters such as Sonic. Any advice on how to do them easily?

Btw the more characters I'm seeing getting announced the more amazed how good this roster line up is going to be, the fact there are still more coming is exciting. I'm expecting Shulk, a Zelda (my money's on Lord Ghirahim, he'd fit in with Smash well IMO) as well as a Metroid representative (do have a suspicion Ridley's in, he's been trolled too much) and a few from other franchises.

RomanceDawn

I was in the 7th grade at the time when I first heard of Smash. Well I feel like I was made aware of it's existence through some magazine but really paid it no mind, I hated fighting games at the time. A buddy of mine walked up to me like "Hey did you see the Smash Bros commercial? They were swinging around Pikachu by his tail and punching out Yoshi!" I was thinking to myself "I gotta see this!" It felt like everyone in school was talking about it once it came out!

One thing I want to learn how to perform is doing tilts with perfection. I can rarely do them and feel it limits what I can do with combo heavy characters such as Sonic. Any advice on how to do them easily?

Btw the more characters I'm seeing getting announced the more amazed how good this roster line up is going to be, the fact there are still more coming is exciting. I'm expecting Shulk, a Zelda (my money's on Lord Ghirahim, he'd fit in with Smash well IMO) as well as a Metroid representative (do have a suspicion Ridley's in, he's been trolled too much) and a few from other franchises.

A lack of using tilts(or strong attacks) is what kept me at the bottom of the barrel during my 64 and Melee years. I just didn't understand and just always figured I used crappier characters than everyone else. I was the guy who did nothing but Smash attacks all day long and got destroyed for it, wondering why like a dummy. When Brawl came out I was determined to figure it out. Turning off tap jump helps a lot with up tilts, you can push the stick as hard as you want without worrying about interference. What helped me was learning a bit of finesse with the control stick. In almost every game I was so used to jamming the stick 100% in any given direction it took a lot of conscious thinking to retrain my fingers and brain. All I can say is just don't push so hard on the stick, you can push it fast just not hard and you will get tilts in no time. Figuring out how they work with one another or aerial moves feels so satisfying! And if you can figure out Sonic you are in for a real treat, especially in Smash 4. His changes are just so good!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I wonder who are planning to make spoiler free thread since I heard some people want to black out. I'm not interested to make one because I'm more likely to look at it. I just want to see if there are any volunteer.

[···]

but, as its not part of the actual hardware, not all games have something programed for it, so it ends up like
Input ->
So, nothing happens.. But the controls is one of the easiest things to code in a game, I'm sure the CCP will be supported :)

Got it. Thanks!

georly

[···]

Input ->
So, nothing happens.. But the controls is one of the easiest things to code in a game, I'm sure the CCP will be supported :)

I think people are mixing up CCP and CPP

CCP = Classic Controller Pro, an attachment for Wii Remotes
B002TLTBN0.01.lg.jpg

CPP = Circle Pad Pro = an attachment for 3DS

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Why? I always kept OP updated as I can. If you have problem with that then you surly have problem with some posters out there because they would to keep it consistent with their OT. Like Enzo did fantastic job with weekly fighting threads.

Oh well I'm not really interested in the OP at all, I've always held that OPs in OTs are pretty well useless beyond a link to a website or something. I'd just kind of like a better take on the titles. Quality and/or humor don't come from committee decisions, this poll system ain't workin out.

Ahnez

Just 'tilt' the stick halfway and attack

It also helps to do up tilts without jumping if you use tap-jump

georly

Oh well I'm not really interested in the OP at all, I've always held that OPs in OTs are pretty well useless beyond a link to a website or something. I'd just kind of like a better take on the titles. Quality and/or humor don't come from committee decisions, this poll system ain't workin out.

The poll is just a suggestion, though.

emb

The way I do tilts is to just push the stick in the direction, but make sure it doesn't go all the way to the gate. I'd say about halfway. And try to make sure you do that slightly before pressing the button. If you're trying to combo into a tilt, it helps to be holding the direction before your character finishes the previous action. As an example, with Marth I often need to uthrow->utilt. It helps to be holding up a little before the throw is finished (and there's still time to adjust left to right if needed).

The first time I ever saw Smash was at a friend's birthday party. I had absolutely no idea how the game worked or what the controls were, but that first match I wrecked everyone's shit with Kirby. Beginner's luck, I guess, because I proceeded to lose every subsequent match, but it was enough to get me hooked.

That's... What I'm saying. If there is new information in the CoroCoro stream, it's going to be revealed by Sakurai first.

Oh, sorry, I misread. I thought when you said "new information next week" you meant from CoroCoro. My mistake.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think people are mixing up CCP and CPP

CCP = Classic Controller Pro, an attachment for Wii Remotes
CPP = Circle Pad Pro = an attachment for 3DS
Indeed mistakes in the letters were used but since we were talking about the 3/2DS I sure everyone was on the same page as to what we were talking about even with the P/C mixup.

The first time I ever saw Smash was at a friend's birthday party. I had absolutely no idea how the game worked or what the controls were, but that first match I wrecked everyone's shit with Kirby. Beginner's luck, I guess, because I proceeded to lose every subsequent match, but it was enough to get me hooked.

Years ago (probably 2002, I recall seeing a Mario Sunshine commercial during the same visit), I went to my cousins' house, and they showed me Melee. I remember I was playing as Pikachu because I was in the middle of my initial Pokemon phase, one of my cousins was playing as Yoshi, and it was a four-player match on Temple.

Until I got my own copy in early 2004, Melee was one game I really wanted to get my hands on. I used to get lunch at McDonald's just because they had several Gamecubes set up, one with Melee.

The younger of the two cousins apparently plays in local Smash tournaments nowadays, and the older definitely plans on getting Smash Wii U.

The entire reason for the poll system is to make a title that pleases the most people. We're trying to avoid having pages of people bitching about how the new title sucks when the new thread starts, which is a lot more likely when one individual just chooses what they think is best rather than having the thread as a whole come together to make the decision.

People need to get more excited. We might get a veteran tonight!!!!

Sounds like you're the one who needs to get more hype. You've downgraded from "will happen" to "might happen."

emb

I read about it in Nintendo Power and thought it was the exact game I had always wanted. Bought it, loved it. In the next year or so I played against a friend, and he showed me highly advanced techs like 'rolling' and 'smash attacks'. Good times. :lol

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Oh I see. This time, emcee is going to make the title for us. I'm very curious to see what he is going to give us. I have a mixed feeling about it being referred to how lunatic we are. :O

Ahnez

I dont really remember how or when I first saw smash bros..

But I do remember renting melee when I was younger :p

wtf memory

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Do you think we can play the Wii U Version using the 3DS as a controller?

Battle Revolution for the Wii let you use the DS to play it...

Caladrius

Do you think we can play the Wii U Version using the 3DS as a controller?

Battle Revolution for the Wii let you use the DS to play it...

Maybe. That way multiplayer for WiiU wouldn't require buying multiple controllers. In terms of ergonomics or ease-of-use I'm not sure if it'd serve any other purpose though. In BR the HUD info was on the DS screens so your opponent couldn't see what you were doing. Smash would offer no such advantage.

I think we talked a little but about this the other day, but I really want to see Villager's custom moves. I'm really curious what they'll do with Pocket and Timber (unless those moves simply don't have any customs.)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The entire reason for the poll system is to make a title that pleases the most people. We're trying to avoid having pages of people bitching about how the new title sucks when the new thread starts, which is a lot more likely when one individual just chooses what they think is best rather than having the thread as a whole come together to make the decision.

People don't know what they want. A "title that pleases the most people" is a sure-fire way to get the most vanilla mayonnaise do-nothing title around. We just need someone with a proven actual sense of humor to take over the responsibility and run with it.

Oh I see. This time, emcee is going to make the title for us. I'm very curious to see what he is going to give us. I have a mixed feeling about it being referred to how lunatic we are. :O

This has the best chance of actually being good. Really, all OT titles should be mod-provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom