• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

The best victories are the ones when you are at a disadvantage
How would you know, Mr. Mains-An-A-Tier-Character? :p

I kid.

I actually don't think Bowser is remotely as bad as people think. He's not great, but I think he's B tier instead of C tier like most lists place him. At least, with Dash Slash.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Speaking of Bowser I can't decide if I want to use fire shot or breath. Shot seems to give me several unchallenged recoveries. No longer being game and watched would be great.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You are in the air and throwing a fireball out either forces a opponent to dodge,shield, or take the hit. Which you then fortress to safety or slash em.

Game and watched is where you are off the ledge and uses his neutral special to gimp all recovery. Fire shot goes through projectiles and travels far enough to hit him. Which is good.

I want to like roar but cooldown period is too large.

How would you know, Mr. Mains-An-A-Tier-Character? :p

I kid.

I actually don't think Bowser is remotely as bad as people think. He's not great, but I think he's B tier instead of C tier like most lists place him. At least, with Dash Slash.

Ness main through entirety of brawl, lol

Boney

Banned
I really don't think there's a bad character in this game. Certainly there's op characters that get a lot of shit for free, but there's a lot that you can do with any character.

Is there a patch today?

What's the easiest/fastest way to collect trophies?
Patch will be up tomorrow morning.
As for trophies... Not sure, but just play single player and trophy rush, trophy rush starts repeating rewards and I don't think all trophies are available from there.

You are in the air and throwing a fireball out either forces a opponent to dodge,shield, or take the hit. Which you then fortress to safety or slash em.

Game and watched is where you are off the ledge and uses his neutral special to gimp all recovery. Fire shot goes through projectiles and travels far enough to hit him. Which is good.

I want to like roar but cooldown period is too large.
Roar's cooldown is way too big, and lasts way too little. If it did like 40% damage in its burst, then it could be worthwhile. A sudden burst of potential damage would be worth considering over Fire Breath's various virtues.

Fire Shot has slow startup and recovery. It might seem nice, but it's uses are extremely limited. You can be gimped by your opponent pre-empting the Fire Shot and jumping off the ledge to go under you. I do it against Link players that try to protect their recovery with bombs.

Also, if you are using Dash Slash (which you should be), you should never have issues recovering. I always recover with tons of space to cover gimping now that I have Dash Slash. Also, I now sometimes elect to recover ABOVE the stage instead of going to the ledge. Just Fortress through people, and it's pretty hard to punish. That rocks most gimping attempts.

Personally, I wouldn't give up Fire Breath just for that. It gimps too many characters and is too useful in the neutral.

Ness main through entirety of brawl, lol
Bowser main in Brawl, Samus main in Melee. I win this one. :p

FSLink

Banned
I mained Lucas in brawl, I only picked up Ness because he was the next best thing. I need my boy to return now, the wait until June is going to be far too long
Hope he still has his movement shenanigans

This is me as well. Though I haven't used Ness much lately since I needed to practice against customs DK and Villager, and there is a few of those here in Hawaii. Customs DK and Villager make Ness's mediocre recovery into Little Mac tier. At least Lucas will have Rope Snake. :3

Ugh outside of dash slash all the other bowser customs should not be used.
Yup. I wanted Dash Slam to be good, but it is too risky with the state of Bowsercides right now.

However, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Fortress isn't replaced because it's probably the best up B OoS move in the game. The move basically makes the character.

Bowser Bomb KOs at low % and breaks shields - great move, and the best shape it has ever been in.

Fire Breath is a fantastic spacing tool; yes, the customs here could be better, though.

I think Bowser's situation is more "everything is already so good it's hard to top" than "nothing is worth using". That's not a bad place to be.

Going to be Mewtwo main?? Yet another reason to play you again xD
Planning on it, but it 100% depends on how fast the teleport recovers. We'll know in a day...

I will give Mewtwo at least a few days of dedicated play before I decide. I'm definitely excited to try him, though.

SoldnerKei

I feel bad now for only maining high tiers in past Smash games until this one. Mario and Fox barely qualify as high-tier, and Falco is ;____;

I have always mained Link, but I am way better with secondaries in every other smash game, Sm4sh is the first game where I feel I am better with him than anyone else form the roster

it goes something like this
64 - Fox > Link
Melee - Marth > Link
Brawl - Falco > Link

still, maining a low tiered character helped to overcome difficult match ups for the high tier characters like MK, like I read on Ganon's boards once, if it's 70:30 is winnable P:

TWILT

Banned
Smash 4's the only "official" Smash game so far where I've mained a high/top tier character lol (Shulk/Pikachu respectively). I was a Link main in Melee and an Ike main in Brawl (though I was never that competitive with either game).

I guess if Project M counts, then I've mained Ike/Link who are both pretty good, but there isn't a general consensus for the tier list that I can find.

Boney

Banned
So how do you guys think hoo hah is getting. Nerfed. It's pretty much the only guaranteed nerf (hell it might be one of the only ones).

I think sakurai will pull a meta knight and nerf both the grab, making it launch further have less stun and making the up air have a LOT less knockback

Oidisco

So how do you guys think hoo hah is getting. Nerfed. It's pretty much the only guaranteed nerf (hell it might be one of the only ones).

I think sakurai will pull a meta knight and nerf both the grab, making it launch further have less stun and making the up air have a LOT less knockback

I don't really want to see Diddy Kong nerfed too much. He doesn't need to be weaker, he needs to be harder to use.
What I'd like is for his hitboxes to be smaller, his attacks have less priority, his recovery shortened very slightly and grab range reduced a little. If the knockback of his up-air is reduced, then it should only be by a small amount.

The main thing I hope we get with the patch is Rage's power reduced significantly. Honestly I'd like it removed completely, but that'll never happen so I'll be happy to see it nerfed. Though that probably wont happen either

Beats

Mained Samus in 64, Melee and Brawl. She was pretty bad in 64/Brawl, but I still stuck with the character since they were still sort of fun to play. I don't really like her here all that much though, so now I just boot up Melee if I want to play her. I think she was mid tier in Melee, but some players have done very well with her against the top tier characters/players. With this game I've mostly stuck to ZSS. And with customs I rotate between WFT, Olimar and Toon Link.

Well, while I'm at it I should mention I mained Mario and Kirby in 64, Sheik and Doc in Melee, Diddy and Snake in Brawl, and Mario and Wolf in PM if we count that too.

Hmm, I wonder if I should go back to Diddy in this game. Let's hope he doesn't get nerfed too badly, the banana thing was bad enough.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Rage is weird. On one hand I want to keep Bowser Rage. On the other hand Lucario gets aura and rage. And they stack. So yeah.

With Mewtwo I also ponder about his custom moves.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Smash 4 is the first Smash game where I wasn't a Kirby main and I feel a little guilty about it. At least I'm not too far removed with Dedede..

Oidisco

I main Zelda and Marth. I usually do very well with them on For Glory, though there are certain matchups that I just can't deal with. ZSS in particular gives me so much trouble and I honestly don't know what to do!

I also briefly mained Ike, and I have a pretty decent Mario, Pikachu and Samus that I mess around with sometimes.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I like how ZSS can pressure you to death. But shield and counter accordingly and you can deal some damage. Easier said then done however.

Mario main since 64. Luigi has been my secondary since 64. Added pit as a secondary from brawl and now added mega man link greninja and bowser to my list of secondaries. Though my mega man is much better than my luigi who I used for years.

Oh damn, people are getting their Mewtwo codes already? Nice. I hope I get mine before the patch goes live.

As I live in Los Angeles (PST) and don't have anything to do early tomorrow morning, I will be staying up late to check out the patch as soon as it's up. Can't wait. <3

Neki

I haven't played Karsticles since the 3ds version and all I remember is he really didn't like Yoshi's island. I do miss that map. Not sure if I should play Diablo or smash when I get home

Top Bottom