• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

I haven't played Karsticles since the 3ds version and all I remember is he really didn't like Yoshi's island. I do miss that map. Not sure if I should play Diablo or smash when I get home
ROFL. My opinion is unchanged. Omega Stages = BEST, and everything else should be BANNED.

Extra "fuck that"s for stages with slopes.

You have a Wii U copy? We could get into it again.

Omega only Karst? eeeew

Yes, we will. End of day, I will request both threads being locked. If people have problem with Wii U and 3DS being merged then I think I have a solution. I will wait until the problem arise.

Only worry is people whining about us posting looking for matches.

Edit: Karsticles, with the popularity surge in Gaming with the new patch, don't you think it would be cool to open up the Ranbats to new players in that thread? Give them their own brackets separate from the presently constructed ones.

Omega only Karst? eeeew

Edit: Karsticles, with the popularity surge in Gaming with the new patch, don't you think it would be cool to open up the Ranbats to new players in that thread? Give them their own brackets separate from the presently constructed ones.

Omega stages are shit, FD only and leave it at that. :T

I don't think that'll be too much of an issue in the scenario that we're getting tourneys tomorrow. Match banter might bother some people, but I'm sure the MK8 OT dealt with it just fine.

Omega stages are shit, FD only and leave it at that. :T

I don't think that'll be too much of an issue in the scenario that we're getting tourneys tomorrow. Match banter might bother some people, but I'm sure the MK8 OT dealt with it just fine.

Oh I love omega stages. Much prefer them over just FD. But I love variety. Gimme as many viable platform stages as possible

Omega only Karst? eeeew

I plan on making a post in there, but I need to get a spot at the top of a page so it gets noticed.

I like Omega stages the best because I feel they are truly the most neutral, and I maintain that the game is designed for them in competitive play. I would be happy if the Smash community moved away from transition and hazard stages, though. Plus Lylat is the worst ever.

Basically, I'm cool with Town and City, Smashville, Battlefield, Omegas, and nothing else. Omega-only is ideal, but the rest are acceptable.

My issues are basically this:
In transition stages, I spend as much time fighting the stage as I spend fighting the opponent, and so many deaths are circumstantial (especially when there are walk-off areas).

Hazards...self-explanatory. I've seen matches lost because of the Halberd laser.

Would anyone actually whine about that? Has it happened in the past?
Yeah. Now and then some random will say "Everyone is looking for matches, so I cant have a conversation" about the game. Silliness.

I plan on making a post in there, but I need to get a spot at the top of a page so it gets noticed.

I like Omega stages the best because I feel they are truly the most neutral, and I maintain that the game is designed for them in competitive play. I would be happy if the Smash community moved away from transition and hazard stages, though. Plus Lylat is the worst ever.

Basically, I'm cool with Town and City, Smashville, Battlefield, Omegas, and nothing else. Omega-only is ideal, but the rest are acceptable.

Yeah. Now and then some random will say "Everyone is looking for matches, so I cant have a conversation" about the game. Silliness.

I don't consider any stage truly neutral. Some characters benefit greatly from FD/Omega platformless stages, like Sonic, while others benefit from stages with Platforms.

I don't consider any stage truly neutral. Some characters benefit greatly from FD/Omega platformless stages, like Sonic, while others benefit from stages with Platforms.
I look at it the opposite way. Sonic's Homing Dash should be functional. Battlefield shuts down one of his moves, giving a clear disadvantage to him that he is intended to play with.

I look at it the opposite way. Sonic's Homing Dash should be functional. Battlefield shuts down one of his moves, giving a clear disadvantage to him that he is intended to play with.

It is still functional on platformed stages, it just can't be used whenever the player feels like. It is situational.

Wii Fit Trainer's beach ball is very situational on FD, but put her on BF and there are new possibilities. The layout of a level with obviously alter the offensive and defensive strategies of a character, but, like the addition of custom moves, stage variety makes more characters competitively viable, and adds a new layer of strategy, both in the choosing of a stage, and knowing how to use it's layout to your advantage.

I figure Palutena's Temple to be the "best" Omega stage. It's slanted like Final Destination, but the background isn't nearly as distracting. I pick Onett for music and because it looks nice, but the straight wall ledges give an advantage to certain characters.

I don't know so much about Delfino, and screw Halberd. Stupid low ceiling gives a huge advantage to anybody with up air setups.

I figure Palutena's Temple to be the "best" Omega stage. It's slanted like Final Destination, but the background isn't nearly as distracting. I pick Onett for music and because it looks nice, but the straight wall ledges give an advantage to certain characters.

I don't know so much about Delfino, and screw Halberd. Stupid low ceiling gives a huge advantage to anybody with up air setups.

Yea, usually Palutena is my default Omega pick

It is still functional on platformed stages, it just can't be used whenever the player feels like. It is situational.

Wii Fit Trainer's beach ball is very situational on FD, but put her on BF and there are new possibilities. The layout of a level with obviously alter the offensive and defensive strategies of a character, but, like the addition of custom moves, stage variety makes more characters competitively viable, and adds a new layer of strategy, both in the choosing of a stage, and knowing how to use it's layout to your advantage.
WFT should be using the custom beach ball that goes downward, anyway.

Sonic can't Homing Dash whenever he wants in Omega stages, either. The move is very unsafe.

Battlefield makes some characters, like Pikachu and DK, crazy strong. While some characters perform better on Omega stages, Omega stages don't turn any characters into incredibly strong opponents in comparison to other stage selections.

Palutena's Temple is pretty, so I pick it.

Plus Omega Battlefield ledges are wack.

FSLink

Banned
Omega List only is garbage and platforms really do make the game very interesting with the various platform/ledge cancels you can do with them. Sonic's Homing Attack is supposed to be situational.

Full stage stage striking is the way to go anyway (but as far as ranbats go, not really feasible to do this unless we have people coordinate in IRC or something). I really dislike any 3 or 5 stage striking system now.

Battlefield actually has a closer omega to FD than Palutena's Temple, though its sides are ever-so-slightly weird. I sometimes get caught underneath the stage of Palutena's Omega in situations where I wouldn't be caught in FD, so I typically prefer just going to the real deal. Bright light doesn't bother me, it's just a small thing to be worked around just like Battlefield. Edit: I meant Halberd.

Halberd's fun aside from that lip on the ship and the low ceiling providing earlier kills, but I like Kirby stages. :)

Neki

I think omega stages turn Little Mac into a much better character, or it might be rather platforms completely change his pressure style. That's the one character that would greatly benefit from omega only

FSLink

Banned
I think omega stages turn Little Mac into a much better character, or it might be rather platforms completely change his pressure style. That's the one character that would greatly benefit from omega only

I feel Town and City is a great map for him though, being able to platform cancel his upB on the platforms is awesome. The map also resembles FD a lot of the time anyway, and the lower ceiling benefits him.

I don't think he's bad on say, Battlefield, but that other characters' strengths are stronger than his on a stage with platforms.

RE: Lylat Cruise, I don't mind it and I do like how it benefits characters with the unique platform layout and the less emphasis on zoning due to the constant tilting. The problem is that it has no right being called a ""neutral" or whatever stupid term the Smash community likes to use. A 3 stage striking system is bad, and if you stick with 5, you can't really use any other safe stage other than maybe Delfino unless you want all 5 stages to be same-y. Duck Hunt really screws over characters like Little Mac and striking in a 5 stage list would be pretty painful if it had Duck Hunt.

Lylat's still fine enough that it should be legal but with a larger stage list, but you have a less chance of being screwed if you're say, Bowser and really really don't want to play on Lylat. Full Stage Striking is really the way to go and I hope thanks to EVO people stick with it.

I don't agree. Little Mac benefits from platforms because he has trouble landing safely.

Even so, the stereotype is more that Little Mac is functional on Omega stages, and trash on everything else.

FSLink

Banned
I don't agree. Little Mac benefits from platforms because he has trouble landing safely.

Even so, the stereotype is more that Little Mac is functional on Omega stages, and trash on everything else.

It depends on the platform layout. Town and City = good for Little Mac, Battlefield = okay, not the best, and if you're playing against someone like Sheik who benefits from it more...might have to be cautious.

Smashville though? If you're any good, once you get a lead, just stay on the moving platform and bait Little Mac to come to you. This is a reason Macs ban this stage immediately besides wanting to go to FD.

Hatchtag

Banned

In general, Little Mac benefits from platforms. He has more difficult landing safely otherwise and they allow him to kill off the ceiling easier. However, there are exceptions. Characters that can juggle Mac well and characters that have vertical projectiles such as Yoshi can be terrible to go up against with platforms. Basically, Mac's like everyone else, and you gotta pick stages based on his matchups.

Neki

Fine with customs. You host.

GGs. Your Wii Fit Trainer has really good spacing. The constant soccer balls and yellow balls were hard to deal with. Your Pikachu was annoying, but I felt like you went for too many hard reads with his f-smash, and a lot of unsafe and unnecessary quick attacks that lead to your deaths lol. You gotta work in his aerials, all of his aerials are ridiculous, especially on Lylat.

Zing

Banned
Today I finally got my hands on a GameCube adapter. I'm used to the Pro Controller, so this feels a bit different. I have a few questions.

First, why is Z the default to grab and how do people use it? It's this tiny, hard button with almost no travel. Do people usually have left hand on L and right hand on Z? I will say that I just discovered that you can grab by pressing shield + A (or A while shielding), so maybe no one actually uses Z?

Next, if you disable tap to jump, doesn't this make pressing B after a jump more difficult? On the pro controller, there is a jump button directly above both B and A. On the GameCube controller, B is off on its own, far away from a jump button.

Finally, I am testing things out using an old purple original GCN controller. I bought a few of the new Smash controllers. Is there any difference in feel?

I have been using Pro Controler with tap jump off. I'd like to learn default GCN controller, so I'm trying tap jump on. I think it will be better in the long run for me.

Today I finally got my hands on a GameCube adapter. I'm used to the Pro Controller, so this feels a bit different. I have a few questions.

First, why is Z the default to grab and how do people use it? It's this tiny, hard button with almost no travel. Do people usually have left hand on L and right hand on Z? I will say that I just discovered that you can grab by pressing shield + A (or A while shielding), so maybe no one actually uses Z?

Next, if you disable tap to jump, doesn't this make pressing B after a jump more difficult? On the pro controller, there is a jump button directly above both B and A. On the GameCube controller, B is off on its own, far away from a jump button.

I have been using Pro Controler with tap jump off. I'd like to learn default GCN controller, so I'm trying tap jump on. I think it will be better in the long run for me.

I use "L" for Shield. I don't touch "R" so "Z" is easy to use for grab for me.

I turn tap jump off, but I switch "Y" to special, with "X" as my only jump. that way if I require a quick jump to special button combination, I can just roll my thumb over X and Y.
So essentially, turn tap jump off and switch Y to "Special". Use L to block. try out that combination and see if you like it.

Edit: I take back not using R. I do end up using it a lot to shield actually

Finally, I am testing things out using an old purple original GCN controller. I bought a few of the new Smash controllers. Is there any difference in feel?

I actually use Z to jump, because I'm Peach, soooooo.... Yeah.
Z jump, R shield, L grab, C stick tilts.

Nabster92

I don't find it hard to switch between R and Z with my right index finger when need be. There's no case I'd want to use them both consecutively. I mainly keep my right index finger on R for shielding and teching and move to Z when I want to do a dash canceled grab or to air dodge after Rosalina gets hit so Luma does an attack while coming back as well. For other grab situations, I would just use R + A. I have my controls set up with tap jump off and L set to jump in case I need to up B out of shield (which I don't need to anymore as Rosalina, mainly used for Marth). To up smash out of shield, I can just use Y then A right below it. I rarely ever touch X unless I'm mashing.

In other news, uploaded some replays I saved before they go kaput tonight. Here's a Bowser I played on Anther's ladder I saved for you Karst:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4iGMHHGCvI

And here's a Mega Man I played that I saved for Tipster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARVjupIfyrE

And here's a gif of my Falcon against some FG Sheik that just felt awesome:
http://share.gifyoutube.com/mLen2Y.gif

Edit:
Am I allowed to post a video I uploaded on Youtube that I posted? Not really sure how it all works here.

Well I just did. Don't think there's an issue with it.

Am I allowed to post a video I uploaded on Youtube that I posted? Not really sure how it all works here.
Yup.

You just can't start new threads promoting yourself. If you are sharing in a thread, it is all good. Especially if you are an active member of that thread's community.

Basically, don't treat GAF like an advertising source, and you are good.

xgre

Neo Member
Yup.

You just can't start new threads promoting yourself. If you are sharing in a thread, it is all good. Especially if you are an active member of that thread's community.

Basically, don't treat GAF like an advertising source, and you are good.

Cool

I just wanted to share this since I thought it was funny because I called this win from the beginning even though he had a pretty big life lead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Co7QnTZ0yQ
not the best quality but you can still see whats happening

Neki

I don't find it hard to switch between R and Z with my right index finger when need be. There's no case I'd want to use them both consecutively. I mainly keep my right index finger on R for shielding and teching and move to Z when I want to do a dash canceled grab or to air dodge after Rosalina gets hit so Luma does an attack while coming back as well. For other grab situations, I would just use R + A. I have my controls set up with tap jump off and L set to jump in case I need to up B out of shield (which I don't need to anymore as Rosalina, mainly used for Marth). To up smash out of shield, I can just use Y then A right below it. I rarely ever touch X unless I'm mashing.

In other news, uploaded some replays I saved before they go kaput tonight. Here's a Bowser I played on Anther's ladder I saved for you Karst:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4iGMHHGCvI

And here's a Mega Man I played that I saved for Tipster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARVjupIfyrE

And here's a gif of my Falcon against some FG Sheik that just felt awesome:
http://share.gifyoutube.com/mLen2Y.gif

Edit:

Well I just did. Don't think there's an issue with it.

The Megaman played really well the first stock but he kinda went on tilt after that, not enough neutral airs, those lemons are hard to get in on! He also barely utilized short hops fairs.

Nabster92

Man Nabster, why don't you ever do dumb stuff like that against me? :p

Haha, it's a terrible cycle I get myself into when I start playing too many ladder matches. Something happens that annoys me and I start playing on tilt and losing more and more ladder points to people I shouldn't be losing to, which puts me in tilt even harder. Then I gotta start the grind again to get back on the front page of the ranks another time.

Haha, it's a terrible cycle I get myself into when I start playing too many ladder matches. Something happens that annoys me and I start playing on tilt and losing more and more ladder points to people I shouldn't be losing to, which puts me in tilt even harder. Then I gotta start the grind again to get back on the front page of the ranks another time.
Toward the end, when you smacked Bowser away over and over during his recovery, I thought "Yeah, that is what it is like". Your opponent was good, though. He didn't abuse Fortress enough, but that is pretty much my universal gripe about other Bowser players. Interesting that bair seems to best your Nair.

Cronox

Banned
Anyone want to play?

Btw, thanks for uploading the Bowser clip Nabster, I enjoyed it.

Edit: also, Mewtwo codes are around where I thought they'd be... bidding on ebay bringing them to around $20 or more, buy it now prices of $30. Annoying.

Top Bottom