• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Mii Fighters are turned on, there are four spots left for character icons. I think it'd be cool if they brought back Lucas, Wolf, Mewtwo and Ice Climbers at some point.

They'd have to significantly change Ice Climbers to get them to work within the RAM restrictions; probably simplify Nana's AI to something like Luma or an AT, or perhaps make Popo a single "Ice Climber" with new moves like the Condor, and make Nana an alt.

As others have noted, the existing trophies for them can simply be amended to be "Wolf (Assault)" and so on and so forth, like in Brawl.
I think simplifying Nana's AI or maybe making her 30 FPS would be better than removing her entirely - the fact that the two of them are together is what makes them unique.

Pink Gold Ridley? Did they actually crack a joke about that?

shaowebb

Shoutouts to the 27 hour 1FOW1 stream on twitch. Good player, really knowledgeable, would play anyone you asked, answered any questions you had, and he put on some great matches and described things as he went so you knew why something was good or just how it worked and felt in general.

Dude also has lottos for stuff so heres hoping I win a Hylian Shield or something.

This is a great weekend for smash fans. So many players puttin out some answers. Anyone got footage linking to all the custom moves? Namely Ganondorf's sword.

Kensho

Can someone check if other games for 3DS like Mario Golf showed more blocks than needed because of the DLC like in this case?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Other Update from our Artist, Quas-Quas!

r3___3ds_wiiu_ssb_character_panels_by_quas_quas-d7505vb.png

Gleethor

Battlefield
-SSB4 Main Theme (New)
-SSBM Menu Theme (Brawl)

Final Destination
-SSB4 Theme Arrangement 1 (New)
-SSB4 Theme Arrangement 2 (New)

3D Land
-3D Land Main Theme/Beach Theme (New)
-SMB3 Medley (New)

Rainbow Road
-Rainbow Road Handheld Medley (New)
-Rainbow Road MK7 (Original?)

Golden Plains
-NSMB Athletic Theme (New)
-SMB Medley (New)

Paper Mario
-Try Try Again (New)
-Paper Mario Medley (New)

Mushroomy Kingdom (Brawl)

-SMB Ground Theme (Brawl)
-SMB Underground Theme (Brawl)

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Obstacle Course (Brawl)
-Yoshi's Story Ending (Brawl)

Jungle Japes (Melee)
-Jungle Japes (Melee)
-Gear Getaway (New)

Gameboy Dreamland
-Kirby's Dreamland Medley (Original*)
-Green Greens Ver. 2 (New)

Magicant
-Eight Melodies (New)
-Smiles and Tears (New)

Mute City
-Mute City Theme (New)
-Mute City Theme SNES (Original)

Corneria (Melee)
-Corneria (Melee)
-Star Wolf Theme (New)

Brinstar (Melee)
-Brinstar (Melee)
-Brinstar Depths (Melee)

Prism Tower
-X&Y Trainer Battle (New)
-Lumiose City (Original)

Unova Pokemon League
-N's Castle Theme? (New)
-Vs Reshiram/Zekrom (New)

Gerudo Valley
-Gerudo Valley Theme (New)
-Ocarina of Time Medley (Brawl)

Spirit Train
-Full Steam Ahead (New)
-LoZ Medley (New)

Arena Ferox
-Id/Purpose (New)
-Fire Emblem Theme (Melee)

Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
-Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
-Flat Zone (Melee)

Reset Bomb Forest
-Wrath of The Reset Bomb (New)
-Dark Pit's Theme (Original)

Distant Planet (Brawl)
-Pikmin Title Theme (Original)
-World Map Theme (New)

Warioware Inc. (Brawl)
-Warioware Inc. (Brawl)
-Ashley's Theme (Brawl)

Green Hill Zone (Brawl)
-Green Hill Zone (Original)
-Live and Learn (Original)

Tortimer Island
-Island Day/Minigame Theme (New)
-Kapp'n Song (New)

Wily Castle
-Mega Man 2 Medley (New)
-Mega Man 2 Medley (Original*)

Boxing Ring
-Running/Countdown Medley (New)
-Punch Out! Wii Minor Circuit (Original)

Pac-Maze
-Pac-Man Club Mix (New)
-Namco Medley? (New)

Gaur Plain
-And You Will Know Our Names (Original)
-Gaur Plain Theme (Original)

Pictochat 2
-Pictochat (Brawl)
-Dr. Mario Fever (Melee)

Find Mii
-Find Mii Final Boss (New)
-???

Living Room
-Bath Time Theme Vocal Mix (New)
-Bath Time Theme Non-Vocal Mix (New)

Balloon Fight
-Balloon Fight Theme (New)
-Balloon Trip Theme (New)

Tomodachi Life
-Tomodachi Life (New)
-Mii Channel (New)

BONUS SONGS!
-Area 6/Missile Slipstream (New)
-Link to The Past Dark World/Dark Palace (New)
-Skyward Sword Ballad of The Goddess/Ghirahim Theme (New)
-FUCKING INCREDIBLE MELEE THEME (NEW)

*Original versions of the songs arranged in a new way

For the new thread. I'll re-add the links later.

Links added! If anyone has any updates regarding what songs go where or has any links to missing songs please let me know and I will add them post-haste. Pretty stellar soundtrack so far, can't wait to hear whats left plus the stuff on the Wii U version.

Macka

Mega Man is amazing.

I was worried I wouldn't like his moveset because I'm used to playing a more up-close aggressive game, but I gelled with him straight away.

Can't wait to get the full game now!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Now we know all the characters, what Event Matches could you see if the Wii U Version brings them back?

Bowser having to fight off all the Koopalings vying for the throne seems like an obvious one to me.

New 3DS exclusive.
Theres never going to be exclusive characters on New 3ds or WiiU, it won't happen, not on Sakurai's watch.
Someone please explain the rationale behind "trophy = no chance" using logic.

impossible
Its just fun to speculate about it thats all. If we thought trophies still had a chance to be playable then that would mean anyone goes and we wouldn't want that, would we? Kappa.

Oh right, Pichu...
Well...theres still Ridley, Impa, Emolga, Sylveon, and DK Jr. I guess...? And Lucas for a veteran...?

Is swimming still in the game? I remember it being gone in the 3DS E3 demo, but there was a stat for Swim Time in the winning screen later on.

Also: what is everyone's problem with the Wii U version of Link? Are the 3DS and Wii U versions of him really different?
Did Ganondorf's design change?

SerodD

Is swimming still in the game? I remember it being gone in the 3DS E3 demo, but there was a stat for Swim Time in the winning screen later on.

Also: what is everyone's problem with the Wii U version of Link? Are the 3DS and Wii U versions of him really different?
Did Ganondorf's design change?

Wii U version Link has a weird looking face, 3DS one looks fine.

I think it didn't change At least I didn't notice any diference.

Not sure about swimming.

Son Of D

Now we know all the characters, what Event Matches could you see if the Wii U Version brings them back?

Bowser having to fight off all the Koopalings vying for the throne seems like an obvious one to me.

Using a character of your choice to fight a team of Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man. I can see Marth vs Lucina as well. Wii Fit Trainer vs Wario to get him in shape.

Wii U's already sitting pretty with 17 revealed new stages to 3DS's 23 final tally (15 to 21 if you don't feel like counting the new shared stages) They've still got a chance to cheap out, but if the final total of Wii U stages is also less than Brawl's total then they have seriously mishandled content, split versions or not.
Before the ESRB leak the number of stages on 3DS were the same as WiiU and everyone was surprised about how few new stages were in the leak. Would not be surprised if theres only around 4-8 WiiU New stages left.

Of course WiiU will have less stages than Brawl. They've had to develop two games at once. Will be completely shocked if WiiU has more stages than Brawl. Wouldn't be surprised if its the same amount as 3DS or upto 3 more or 3 less.

People seem to have some misguided sense that all the effort is being put into the WiiU version but its not. Its about the same for both versions and wouldn't be surprised if it ends up more effort done on the 3DS version since at the moment only the 3DS has an exclusive mode. (Aside from amiibos being delayed on 3DS until New3DS and the old 3DS addon comes out.)

If the Wii U version does end up with fewer stages than Brawl then the split game development was a failure. No amount of characters can overcome the 3DS's absolutely anemic stage roster. If the solution to developing content for two versions was to release two less than fully featured Smash Bros. then all of Sakurai's posturing of the two games standing on their own and being "Smash 4" and "Smash 5" was a bunch of bullshit.

Richie

If the Wii U version does end up with fewer stages than Brawl then the split game development was a failure. No amount of characters can overcome the 3DS's absolutely anemic stage roster. If the solution to developing content for two versions was to release two less than fully featured Smash Bros. then all of Sakurai's posturing of the two games standing on their own and being "Smash 4" and "Smash 5" was a bunch of bullshit.

I've said this a lot to the point where I'm annoying myself with it, but really hope for 3DS Exclusive Stages Pack for Wii U and viceversa. I'd kill for some of the 3DS stages on the big screen, and more than a few of the U I'd love to have on the go.

Lol that dude is probably pissed because he made that long video with (terrible) reasons that Ridley was definitely in. Also blaming Dark Pit for Ridley's exclusion. They could have picked a better clone for sure but this talk on how clones prevented characters like Ridley and K. Rool is dumb.

Also, one of the many overreactions in the comments.

I'm this close to switching over to Sony. Not only did Smash 4 not include Ridley as finally being playable, but now it's utter proof that Nintendo is letting Metroid die like F-Zero did. Now, Metroid is just going to be mini-game fodder for their minigames like NintendoLand and WarioWare.

But Nintendo doesn't care, no. They have to put in more clone characters. Oh, wait, even better. Nintendo is STILL doing StarFox out of all games. I've been a huge fan of the Metroid series since I grew up with the Prime series and this was just a kick to the groin for me. StarFox had a 3DS release and DS release where the 3DS was just a remake AND where the DS release was just a boring as hell game.

Great job Nintendo. Way to ruin the hopes for your entire Metroid fanbase.

watershed

Banned
Lol that dude is probably pissed because he made that long video with (terrible) reasons that Ridley was definitely in. Also blaming Dark Pit for Ridley's exclusion. They could have picked a better clone for sure but this talk on how clones prevented characters like Ridley and K. Rool is dumb.

Also, one of the many overreactions in the comments.

It's comments like that that make the internet so entertaining though.

Kensho

There are overreactions and then there is this comments that's so true it hurts.

Yes, they know and they don't give a fuck. Nintendo didn't really give much of a fuck even during Prime's run, half the reason they didn't sell as well as they should have was the nonexistent marketing. And when they do make half of an effort with Metroid, they give the reins to a director who can't write a coherent plot to save his life and run it into the ground. Metroid has never and will NEVER get the same kind of care and effort as the triple-A titles.
At least its strongly implied that Retro is back at the helm, but they're patching a bleeding artery at this point. This would have been a great opportunity to show Metroid is still at least halfway relevant, but Ridley is a shitty stage boss and Dark Samus -the main villain of three games- is both a sort-of-alt AND an AT, but apparently less deserving of a character slot than Dark Pit, who is a minor character in one game.
I'm less disappointed in Ridley's exclusion than I am about Nintendo's disinterest in Metroid as a whole. We really needed a win.

Dark Pit as a PC in this new Smash just makes no goddamn sense in any way possible...

I still think Urban Champion Fighter was robbed. Has anyone found an Urban Champion trophy yet?

I can't believe Space Peach got in over Urban Champion.

There are overreactions and then there is this comments that's so true it hurts.

Dark Pit as a PC in this new Smash just makes no goddamn sense in any way possible...

it makes ton of sense. hey guys it's last day before gold, control c control v change some values. done. have a nice weekend everyone.

Ryce

It's not like he's a unique character who took up a ton of dev resources or anything. As far as potential new clones go, Dark Pit makes a lot of sense. He's pretty popular in Japan (he was in Nintendo Dream's top 20 Nintendo characters list, and he has a Figma), and he has a large presence in Kid Icarus: Uprising.

guek

Banned
I really like the 3DS demo. More any anything though, it's giving me a peak at how much I'm going to love the wiiu version. A proper controller is going to make the world of difference. Even with a proper grip, the 3DS buttons and circle pad fall woefully short of the GC controller.

The Wii U version is going to be absolutely killer. For 3DS does what it sets out to do, a comparable portable version of smash, but For WiiU is when the real fun begins.

Oh my god, I just read through the last four or five pages of the Ridley SmashBoards thread. It's amazing.

I never saw the fan demand for Geno back in the Brawl days, is this better or worse?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Brawl had a lot of pretty shitty stages though...

If Wii U can give every playable series (I don't care about R.O.B. or Duck Hunt levels, any NES-theme stage is good enough) a new stage I'll be happy.

So...we just need DK, Wario, GW, Kirby, Mother, F-Zero, and Yoshi a stage. I'll gladly take Magicant and Mute City "re-used" on the Wii U Version.

rawbuchanan

Neo Member
Wii U version Link has a weird looking face, 3DS one looks fine.

I think it didn't change At least I didn't notice any diference.

Not sure about swimming.

3DS Link looks Twilight Princess.
Wii U he looks quite strange, not like any other previous Links.

Neff

I really like the 3DS demo. More any anything though, it's giving me a peak at how much I'm going to love the wiiu version. A proper controller is going to make the world of difference. Even with a proper grip, the 3DS buttons and circle pad fall woefully short of the GC controller.

The Wii U version is going to be absolutely killer. For 3DS does what it sets out to do, a comparable portable version of smash, but For WiiU is when the real fun begins.

I agree. The 3DS version is astonishing, but the idea that it's going to significantly cannibalise sales of the console version due to 3DS' larger base is incorrect I think, since the Wii U version is going to be where the the vast majority of dedicated Smash players are going to want to be. 3DS Smash is going to be there for those who don't intend to buy a Wii U, play casually, or simply can't wait.

As promising and technically amazing as the 3DS version is, it's merely a taster of how good this game is going to be on Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom