• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandangox

Dark Pit is the worst clone we've ever gotten. He's a character that originated from a pallet swap in Brawl.
I don't like clones, but Dark Pit is the first one I actually hate.

What does that have to do with Dark Pit's character in uprising and smash 4 though? Some fighting game characters tend to jave weird origins, like "error macro"

Dark Pit his own character in Uprising and has at least 2 different moves from Pit.

People need a thing to pick on as an example of "Sakurai makes bad decisions!" and they have decided Dark Pit is their champion for this cause, despite being a cool character in his source game and looking to be a pretty good character in Smash 4 who has roughly as much variation from Pit as Falco does from Fox

That side-B super armor is beastly

Azure J

Can someone tell me what's different between Pit and Dark Pit once and for all? It seems like I always miss when the latter's being played on stream and thus any chance of understanding just how "clone" he is. :p

On a tangent, I know Falco post Melee has been a mixed bag, but I REALLY like his combination of normals and specials in Smash 4. That double flash kick up smash is really speaking to me. How's he faring overall people who've put time into him?

Can someone tell me what's different between Pit and Dark Pit once and for all? It seems like I always miss when the latter's being played on stream and thus any chance of understanding just how "clone" he is. :p

On a tangent, I know Falco post Melee has been a mixed bag, but I REALLY like his combination of normals and specials in Smash 4. That double flash kick up smash is really speaking to me. How's he faring overall people who've put time into him?

Dark Pit has some of Pit's A button attacks from Brawl, his side-B has super armor, and overall he's slower but stronger than Pit. There's a number of other differences on his B moves, I think his up-B goes higher but might not deal damage? But those are the big ones. He's less of a clone than Lucina for sure.

I'm not kidding when I say his side-B is really good.

Falco has been kind of nerfed is what I'm hearing, particularly there's more startup time on a few of his A moves and overall he's just not as great as he used to be. But I don't know for sure.

Dark Pit has some of Pit's A button attacks from Brawl, his side-B has super armor, and overall he's slower but stronger than Pit. There's a number of other differences on his B moves, I think his up-B goes higher but might not deal damage? But those are the big ones. He's less of a clone than Lucina for sure.

I didn't realize he was more like brawl pit, I only saw him on launch at like midnight so could barely pay attention from being dead tired. That actually sounds like a solid set of changes for a clone

Azure J

Falco has been kind of nerfed is what I'm hearing, particularly there's more startup time on a few of his A moves and overall he's just not as great as he used to be. But I don't know for sure.

Is his side-B Upperdash Arm as well? Also Pit's Wings of Icarus (up B) does damage as well as having that recovery distance?

EulaCapra

Wow, looking back at the ESRB leaks, it's insane the game of telephone that happened between certain people within the Brawl modding community and then Smashboards.

http://i.imgur.com/5VhbSBK.jpg
Holy shit, this was way more dramatic and entertaining than the last seasons of Dexter and True Blood.

The only mystery left unsolved is the Ridley/Dixie Kong/Chorus Kids/Mewtwo part which even the people involved could not explain. It's getting closer and closer to a positive outlook.

I think even if Sakurai didn't choose to make playable Black Pit as a Pit clone, he'd rather make Medusa as a Palutena clone, or Hades as a Ganondorf clone. lol

Makai

Alright, done streaming for today. Thanks for playing with me Hatchtag, Serebii Joe, and Speedwagon.

Now on to what we're all here for...

Tier list speculation! >:D

Come on, it's fun, don't be a square and shut this down with "the game's not even out yet! :U" I'm only going to include characters who I am very confident of their tier list placement. I think Shulk is a bad character, but he might have hidden potential so I'm leaving him out.

TIER A
Bowser Jr - Basically a boss character. He has so many tools.

TIER B
Villager - The new Snake. Gonna be my main.
Robin - Can't do long combo strings but can go in for the kill while the opponent is trapped by Elfire.
Sheik - Smash 4 is a tilt focused game and Sheik is in it.
Zero Suit Samus - Her new shortrange attack prowess outweigh her nerfs.
Pikachu - Great normals and recovery.
Mario - Combos like a champ. Did a 10 hit combo with him today. I think he's better than Doctor Mario.

TIER C
Captain Falcon - Some of his combo moves have been turned into dedicated finishers. Has a lot of trouble with approach and his recovery sucks as usual.
Falco - His groundgame seems okay and his upsmash is quick. His Dair has like 15 frame startup and like 15 frame endlag and has a tiny spike hitbox. Why?
Luigi - Decent airgame. WTF did they do to his Up-B sweetspot?

TIER D

Little Mac - Get him in the air and he's in trouble. Get him off the stage and he's done.
Mega Man - Cannot combo at all and his close range game is awful. Might have hidden potential as a keep-away character, but his projectiles aren't really that good so don't count on it.

Is his side-B Upperdash Arm as well? Also Pit's Wings of Icarus (up B) does damage as well as having that recovery distance?

It's the same animation but it uses a different weapon from Uprising, a big electrical construction equipment looking one. I don't actually know about the up B thing in detail, someone else needs to fill you in there, I heard someone mention it offhandedly on a stream.

Lord Phol

I'm looking forward to seeing all clones analyzed to see what really makes them different from their counterparts. Judging by what we've seen, they almost feel like the cloniest clones in the series so far. Different customized moves would set them apart though if that's a thing.

Makai

I'm looking forward to seeing all clones analyzed to see what really makes them different from their counterparts. Judging by what we've seen, they almost feel like the cloniest clones in the series so far. Different customized moves would set them apart though if that's a thing.
Like in Melee, Doc cannot combo as well as Mario but has better finishers.

PKGaming

Banned
Why's everyone saying Mega Man's not good? I've been playing him to death in the demo and I think he's great. He is so much fun to play with. His back air is really good and his standard A is great for keeping people away from you, giving you more control over the fight (not for approaching though). His smash attack is great as well. I love the range. Villager on the other hand, to me at least, is too weird and I can't figure him out. I can't figure out what his best set up and KO moves are. His forward smash is too short ranged, his up smash doesn't do much knockback, his down smash is difficult for me to land, I just can't figure him out...

Spinluck

Can anyone comment on this?

sku_170558_1.jpg

Might order it if I hear some good feedback on here, because at it stands... I cannot play Smash 3DS for more than 10 mins without my fingers getting uncomfy and cramping.

This looks like it would help it fit in my hand better, but I do not want to end up with a cheap piece of shit. It's for the XL. Cannot wait for the new models, I wanna C-stick so bad.

Mistle

Can anyone comment on this?

[IM.G]http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_170558_1.jpg[/IMG]

Might order it if I hear some good feedback on here, because at it stands... I cannot play Smash 3DS for more than 10 mins without my fingers getting uncomfy and cramping.

This looks like it would help it fit in my hand better, but I do not want to end up with a cheap piece of shit. It's for the XL. Cannot wait for the new models, I wanna C-stick so bad.

what's the product called? looks good.

Not a lot of new songs though.

Musical representation is just as skewered as the stage representation, not too surprising really but still pretty disappointing, they couldn't even wing one new Metroid, Wario or Yoshi track in there when they're lobbing multiple new Zelda mixes in for Smash Run?
The good thing is that what remixes are in there sound of a higher calibre than Brawl for the most part and the fact that the Wii U version should be all accounts be delivering the musical goods.

Son Of D

Wait a minute...

Even if we did get 5 extra characters, there wouldn't be any space on the 3DS.
With the Mii Fighters that would leave only 4 spaces to be filled? Maybe I'm miscounting something?

Also, by growing wings, I think he means folding them up, and unfolding them.

EDIT: Wow, Top Page twice in a row?
Either there's a slot on the CSS used for "DLC" and pushing it lists the DLC characters or the CSS moves around a bit again to add the space.

KHlover

Banned
Got a code for the SSB4 demo in Europe and I have to say...whoever did the sound design for Pikachu's attacks needs a raise. Hitting with stronger attacks like his D- and F-Smash feels soooo satisfying due to the new SFX for strong hits with electrical effects. Truly amazing o_O

Forkball

I can confirm that Koopa, Koopa Jr., Reflet, Lizardon, Gekkouga, Purin, Robot, Black Pit, Murabito, and Rockman won't be in the US release of the game.

I can confirm that Koopa, Koopa Jr., Reflet, Lizardon, Gekkouga, Purin, Robot, Black Pit, Murabito, and Rockman won't be in the US release of the game.

Neither will Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, Snake, Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Ridley, Dixie, Impa, K Rool or Isaac :D

CloakBass

Any word on voice chat for the 3DS version? Taunt text ala Brawl? I'm assuming no form of online communication at all at this point.

Zephyrus

Banned
People need a thing to pick on as an example of "Sakurai makes bad decisions!" and they have decided Dark Pit is their champion for this cause, despite being a cool character in his source game and looking to be a pretty good character in Smash 4 who has roughly as much variation from Pit as Falco does from Fox

That side-B super armor is beastly

I still think that in a game with as many weapons as KI:U has, it's ridiculous to give the same ones to both Pit and Dark Pit.

Especially when Dark Pit has his own weapon which he only uses in his final smash.

EhoaVash

i hate how nerfed pikachu got . i mean ...like wtf i couldn't kill someone with down b...in a sudden death ..like wtf???!!

KHlover

Banned
i hate how nerfed pikachu got . i mean ...like wtf i couldn't kill someone with down b...in a sudden death ..like wtf???!!
Lol wat. Pikachu's thunder kills at like 100% if you connect the sweetspot. And you don't want to use thunder in sudden death anyways. Use quick attack, second hit of that kills in sudden death.

Pika is so much better than in Brawl. Can combo far better and offstage gimping is a thing of beauty since quick attack can save you almost from the blast line.

Just because Thunder Spamming without hitting the sweetspot is less viable the character isnt worse.

Koopa is an enemy in Smash Run though.
You also forgot Lucina's Japanese pronunciation (lu-kee-na).

Edit: Mega-Man is not Tier D. I would say C from the demo. Pikachu and Villager both C and Link and Mario B. Villager can be B if you spam cheap tricks, but ehhhh...

Axass

Ahaha. How cute.

Expect a couple of weeks of 3DS menu pics still.

Corrected that for you.

Many Japanese requested characters weren't included.

He isn't "out of touch", he just doesn't capitulate to rabid fans :p

Serious question: is there a japanese Ridley? A highly requested non-main character that apparently can't get in, no matter how vocal the fans are?

Besides that who are the japanese fan favourites?

Semajer

Lol wat. Pikachu's thunder kills at like 100% if you connect the sweetspot. And you don't want to use thunder in sudden death anyways. Use quick attack, second hit of that kills in sudden death.

Pika is so much better than in Brawl. Can combo far better and offstage gimping is a thing of beauty since quick attack can save you almost from the blast line.

Just because Thunder Spamming without hitting the sweetspot is less viable the character isnt worse.
Waaaattt..!? I think pikachu is the best hes ever been since 64 I can the hits he putting in like before

hello ;P

Pikachu feels far weaker to me. His standard a attacks seems slightly stronger, but all of his Smash attacks are completely lacking in kill potential. I constantly struggle to get kills even over 150%, which wasn't a problem in Brawl at all. You also can't do two a attacks in one jump like Brawl could.

His side-b seems to move further, which makes recovery easier, but the thunder is super weak now, it doesn't seem as tall, and the hitbox is tiny. His Final Smash is useless at killing too.

KHlover

Banned
Pikachu feels far weaker to me. His standard a attacks seems slightly stronger, but all of his Smash attacks are completely lacking in kill potential. I constantly struggle to get kills even over 150%, which wasn't a problem in Brawl at all. You also can't do two a attacks in one jump like Brawl could.

His side-b seems to move further, which makes recovery easier, but the thunder is super weak now, it doesn't seem as tall, and the hitbox is tiny. His Final Smash is useless at killing too.

1. Huh? Pikachu's Final Smash is nothing short of awesome. Very easy to control and you just keep the enemy in complete hitstun until you've blasted him out of a blast zone of your choice. Far better than in Brawl where the knockback was enough to blast enemies out of your reach but not far enough to KO them, so they just could run away.

EDIT: Also just tested: Uncharged F-Smash killed at 100% from the ledge of Battlefield.

I... I.. just disagre D:

*runs away crying*

EDIT: Also just tested: Uncharged F-Smash killed at 100% from the ledge of Battlefield.
That's not really where you want to get a kill at, though. Plus AI's DI is weird.

Unless you're using Link I feel chasing and killing off stage is what you should do with the demo characters because of the large blast zones.

KHlover

Banned
That's not really where you want to get a kill at, though. Plus AI's DI is weird.

Unless you're using Link I feel chasing and killing off stage is what you should do with the demo characters because of the large blast zones.

Yeah, I also got most kills offstage. But Smashes at the ledge were what got my enemies offstage pretty often (that or Pikachus aerials *-*), so getting a kill there at 100% isn't too shabby

EDIT: Especially easy to gimp CPU Villager there with Thunder or F-Smash since Villager likes to ride Gyroid near the upper blast zone and ends up dropping near the ledge in a helpless state XD

1. Huh? Pikachu's Final Smash is nothing short of awesome. Very easy to control and you just keep the enemy in complete hitstun until you've blasted him out of a blast zone of your choice. Far better than in Brawl where the knockback was enough to blast enemies out of your reach but not far enough to KO them, so they just could run away.

I think that assumes you can actually get off a completely fresh F-smash to being with :p

KHlover

Banned
I think that assumes you can actually get off a completely fresh F-smash to being with :p

C-Stick is a crutch :p
No idea if that's what your sentence is supposed to tell me lol. Or do you just think it's too hard to hit with F-Smash in the first place lol

trixx

Getting Wii u version day one and skipping 3ds version as I already planned. I posted this in a few threads but the 3ds demo pretty much cemented my initial plan.

I'm impressed by the performance and the look of the 3ds version. It also plays fine for a few rounds but then the cramps come in and it starts feeling awkward for me. Can't justify paying extra 45 for that version especially since I'm getting the special Wii u edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom