• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is now a Wii U thread.

tumblr_m4tgcf8TIx1r0wki4o1_1280.jpg

LOOOL!!

Is that a thing now? weeeoooweeeoo

I'm hoping for Characters to be put on the site so we can at least see how DHD and others look on Wii U. POTD will probably keep being a mix of 3ds and wii u until NA release.

I wonder how they'll reveal the unlockable characters. Will they wait for the game to come out outside of Japan? I don't think they can hide the pictures behind spoiler tags on Miiverse, can they?

Nanashrew

Banned
Conquest mode is a new thing in Smash 4 from the day 1 patch so I bet you we'll see a PoTD of that this Monday when that mode is unlocked.

I wonder how they'll reveal the unlockable characters. Will they wait for the game to come out outside of Japan? I don't think they can hide the pictures behind spoiler tags on Miiverse, can they?

Yeah they'll spoiler it on Miiverse and make it click-through on the website. They did something similar for Brawl's site updates.

Nikokuno

The stats came from our Prediction thread. Since we got a final roster on 3DS version (I'm not going to declare any winner until Wii U has came out in worldwide. Who know if rumor is right or not.)

Confirmed Characters
Mario - 100%
Luigi - 100%
Princess Peach - 100%
Bowser - 99.16%
Dr. Mario - 0%
Rosalina - 4.21%
Bowser Jr. - 22.69%

Yoshi - 100%

Donkey Kong - 98.32%
Diddy Kong - 93.28%

Wario - 96.64%

Link - 100%
Zelda - 99.16%
Sheik - 79.83%
Ganondorf - 91.60%
Toon Link - 71.43%

Samus - 99.16%
Zero Suit Samus - 84.04%

Pit - 97.48%
Palutena - 66.39%
Dark Pit - 9.25%

Marth - 95.80%
Ike - 47.90%
Lucina - 13.45%
Robin - 5.89%

Kirby - 99.16%
Metaknight - 95.80%
King Dedede - 92.44%

Fox - 99.16%
Falco - 89.92%

Pikachu - 100%
Jigglypuff - 90.76%
Pokemon Trainer's Charizard - 46.22% & Pokemon Trainer - 89.08%
Lucario - 36.14%
Pokemon X/Y - 29.42%

Captain Falcon - 100%
Ness - 99.16%
Captain Olimar - 92.44%

Villager - 0.84%
Wii Fit Trainer - 0%
Little Mac - 60.51%
Mii - 20.17%
Shulk - 64.71%

Mr. Game and Watch - 94.12%
R.O.B. - 82.36%
Duck Hunt Dog - 3.36%

Sonic - 89.08%
Mega Man - 58.83%
Pac-Man - 57.15%

Cut Characters (So Far)
Mewtwo - 70.59%
Roy - 15.97%

Ice Climbers - 94.12%
Pokemon Trainer - 89.08%
Pokemon Trainer's Ivysaur - 46.22%
Pokemon Trainer's Squirtle - 46.22%
Lucas - 79%
Wolf - 74.79%
Snake - 60.51%

Top 10 for Least Predicted Characters.
Wii Fit Trainer - 0%
Dr. Mario - 0%
Villager - 0.84%
Duck Hunt Dog - 3.36%
Rosalina - 4.21%
Robin - 5.89%
Lucina - 13.45%
Mii - 20.17%
Bowser Jr. - 22.69%
Pokemon X/Y - 29.42%

Top 2 for Least Predicted Veterans
Lucario - 36.14%
Ike - 47.90%

Yep.

No Chrom at all? Seriously? Even Lucina was predicted, it's kinda weird! I know she's better than her father by far but he's supposed to be the MC of the last entry :eek:

#teamlucina

you can not honestly say they have the demand as mewtwo and ridley does?

japan makes fun of the US players because nobody over there cares about ridley, mewtwo, k. rool, etc

your idea of 'big demand' is inflated by the echo chamber that the threads about smash bros tend to become

reminder that dark pit placed really well in a lot of newcomer polls in japan

Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac... those three were in demand much more heavily than either of the dudes you named. for sure.

you can not honestly say they have the demand as mewtwo and ridley does?

Ridley is a secondary character from a fairly niche series (especially in Japan).

Guess I agree on Mewtwo though. Though the Japanese fanbase in particular tends to gravitate towards the cuter Pokemon.

Is the third "big 3" K Rool though? He's probably not even top 20 material outside of your little bubble lol.

ShinLuigi

Banned
One of the new final destination themes (the one with the organ sounds) is ass. I tried to like it but listening to it on vgbootcamp stream I just couldn't get into it. I've loved all the FD/BF themes in Smash apart from the Giga Bowser one but this new one is the worst yet :/

Do we have any idea if english release is going to have dual audio/text? Haven't heard anything confirming or denying it, wondering if I missed it.

japan makes fun of the US players because nobody over there cares about ridley, mewtwo, k. rool, etc

your idea of 'big demand' is inflated by the echo chamber that the threads about smash bros tend to become

Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac... those three were in demand much more heavily than either of the dudes you named. for sure.

if your trying to say those 3 are not in high demand then your nuts

They're in high demand on gaming forums on the internet. For the general public, characters like Mega Man, Pac Man, and Villager are far more recognizable and popular.

Yes, exactly. Mega Man was in Sakurai's own words the #1 most requested character since Brawl, and I know Little Mac got a lot of traction since he was an assist trophy and then got a new game. Plus he's a big western audience character (japan doesnt really care about punch-out) so he was a pick made to appeal to US and EU audiences for sure

Villager was a worldwide wanted thing, especially with New Leaf being so big with the social media crowd. see also: mario kart DLC

Ridley was wanted by the super hardcore smash bros players who are also metroid fans, and spoke english. with some perspective you can see how small a crowd that actually is, it's a subset of a subset of a subset, who want a character who sakurai has previously said he thinks would be difficult to implement as a playable character. treehouse knows there's some demand, sakurai knows there's some demand, but if you think ridley is as well-known or popular as Mega Man, then you are deluding yourself

Spinluck

Sakurai is well aware that the West can now look up whatever they want about the 3DS version at this point.

Watch him still give us 3DS pics till the worldwide release, lol.

Spinluck

I think Little Mac and Duck Hunt getting in shows that Sakurai is listening to Western demands too, not just Japanese.

Maybe in some superficial aspects, but I feel like a lot of the design choices cater to the Japanese. That's actually who he listens to the most, and a lot of the interviews reflect that.

They're in high demand on gaming forums on the internet. For the general public, characters like Mega Man, Pac Man, and Villager are far more recognizable and popular.
2/3 of those are not even nintendo characters and most ppl in my area dont know what a villager is and the ones that do participate on the forums

Clefargle

Yup, he isn't "out of touch" , just "in touch with the japanese community".

JoeM86

Many Japanese requested characters weren't included.

He isn't "out of touch", he just doesn't capitulate to rabid fans :p

Dark Pit isn't in because the Japanese community wanted him, Dark Pit is in because Kid Icarus is now Sakurai's baby.
And because he was an easy to develop character that wouldn't really drain other dev resources? Sakurai making kid Icarus probably influenced choosing him specifically being a clone, but if it wasn't dark pit it'd be another clone that people would be complaining about.

And because he was an easy to develop character that wouldn't really drain other dev resources? Sakurai making kid Icarus probably influenced him specifically being a clone, but if it wasn't dark pit it'd be another clone people would be complaining about.
Dark Pit is the worst clone we've ever gotten. He's a character that originated from a pallet swap in Brawl.
I don't like clones, but Dark Pit is the first one I actually hate.

Dark Pit is the worst clone we've ever gotten. He's a character that originated from a pallet swap in Brawl.
I don't like clones, but Dark Pit is the first one I actually hate.
He is an incredibly lazy decision and I don't really like his inclusion, but I'm going under the assumption incredibly late in dev. I don't think his inclusion hindered anyone else's chances, and that his slot would simply be empty or replaced with an equally quick clone otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom