• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full game and demo question?

Is it just my feeling or is the baseball bat a lot faster than before?
I mean it is a KO-guaranty but i achieved like 6 KOs within seconds in the demo...

Platy

Announcement: Originally, the pic of the day was only supposed to continue for about two months, but I've ended up posting pictures until even today. The 3DS version has already been released in Japan, so I would like to talk about how future posts will be handled.

First, I will not talk about hidden features until the game is released overseas. On the other hand, I definitely will talk about them after the game is released abroad.

In addition, I am planning to continue making posts at least until the Wii U version is released. I haven't decided if I'll go by the Japanese version release or the release of versions abroad, but the point is that I'll continue posting for a little bit longer.

Pic of the day won't focus on introducing new information anymore in the near future, but I hope to entertain you with interesting and funny photos like I originally intended to. Thanks.

raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

So this means that we will know about WiiU's exclusive modes in a direct ? =P

You know, looking at the original few PotD's...

I forgot about this one in particular. Why were people still hoping for Ridley? This along with the Smash Direct leave pretty much no room for speculation. He's a stage hazard. (sorry for bringing Ridley up again haha, I'm sure everybody remembers this pic but myself.. I didn't really follow them at the very beginning)

But Pikachu's shadow!
I always knew he was a stage hazard. He could become an AT like in Magicant. Anyone thinking he was a fighter was silly.

KHlover

Banned
Full game and demo question?

Is it just my feeling or is the baseball bat a lot faster than before?
I mean it is a KO-guaranty but i achieved like 6 KOs within seconds in the demo...

Took 17 stocks in one match :p
Yeah Homerun Bat seems to be a lot faster than in Brawl and I noticed that up to a certain threshold (not sure if damage or knockback) you actually aren't interrupted. Started the animation with 3% DMG and knocked Pikachu out with 6%. I think Pikachu used its Neutral-A attack, but I'm not entirely sure o_O

Took 17 stocks in one match :p
Yeah Homerun Bat seems to be a lot faster than in Brawl and I noticed that up to a certain threshold (not sure if damage or knockback) you actually aren't interrupted. Started the animation with 3% DMG and knocked Pikachu out with 6%. I think Pikachu used its Neutral-A attack, but I'm not entirely sure o_O

And this marks the first time I actually like the baseballbat, because until now its not as common as it was in the other games...my brother used to destroy me with the bat in Brawl and Melee because it was all over the place sometimes even 2 or 3 bats at the same time...

First, I will not talk about hidden features until the game is released overseas.

So, no posts about secret unlockables. That leaves starter stages, modes for Wii U as fair game. Though, he'll probably focus on 3DS until NA launch.

Zantar

Neo Member
So a question at any person with the demo:
What are is your highest score at defending a LvL 9 CPU in 2 Minutes?
After playing the game for a lot of hours and getting better with the five characters, this became my new goal. Especially since it is hard to kill your opponent. My best score is 3 KO with Mega Man against Mario without stupid SDs. Of course, this isn't representative, since the CPU makes a lot of stupid stuff (not targeting the edge while returning for example). But it helps to get into the new gimp-heavy gameplay of SSB4.

5 KOs against Link with Mario is my highest so far. One SD during that match where I overextended a tad too much.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Announcement: Originally, the pic of the day was only supposed to continue for about two months, but I've ended up posting pictures until even today. The 3DS version has already been released in Japan, so I would like to talk about how future posts will be handled.

First, I will not talk about hidden features until the game is released overseas. On the other hand, I definitely will talk about them after the game is released abroad.

In addition, I am planning to continue making posts at least until the Wii U version is released. I haven't decided if I'll go by the Japanese version release or the release of versions abroad, but the point is that I'll continue posting for a little bit longer.

Pic of the day won't focus on introducing new information anymore in the near future, but I hope to entertain you with interesting and funny photos like I originally intended to. Thanks.

Ohohoh, that's very interesting. POTD originally supposed to running for only two months but we ended up getting more than 2 months. Sakurai, I really appreciate that you decided to kept POTD running until now and still ongoing. I don't know how our hype would be if there wouldn't for Pictures of the Day. Heck, I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't have OT17 by then without POTDs. I'm pretty sure that SmashGAF wouldn't even be same without those POTDs, so cheer Sakurai for deciding to stick with it! :)

So, we are not even sure if we are getting new information based on Wii U from Sakurai or so? I guess it's basically wait and see if we are actually getting new informations for Wii U modes, stages and more.

At least, this thread is still useful for Wii U POTD (Characters Wii U pictures which should come in couple of weeks), the small news that we might get from the news that are not worthy enough to have a new thread, etc.

I don't really expect this thread to be moving fast as it used to be but that's good thing since we can discuss at our own pace rather than being overwhelmed with too much hypes :)

*raise a glass of water* few more months, this thread (or next thread) would come to end and may we enjoy our time until it's death!

Wait, Toxi got banned? What happened?

Voluntary Ban.

Ohohoh, that's very interesting. POTD originally supposed to running for only two months but we ended up getting more than 2 months. Sakurai, I really appreciate that you decided to kept POTD running until now and still ongoing. I don't know how our hype would be if there wouldn't for Pictures of the Day. Heck, I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't have OT17 by then without POTDs. I'm pretty sure that SmashGAF wouldn't even be same without those POTDs, so cheer Sakurai for deciding to stick with it! :)

So, we are not even sure if we are getting new information based on Wii U from Sakurai or so? I guess it's basically wait and see if we are actually getting new informations for Wii U modes, stages and more.

At least, this thread is still useful for Wii U POTD (Characters Wii U pictures which should come in couple of weeks), the small news that we might get from the news that are not worthy enough to have a new thread, etc.

I don't really expect this thread to be moving fast as it used to be but that's good thing since we can discuss at our own pace rather than being overwhelmed with too much hypes :)

*raise a glass of water* few more months, this thread (or next thread) would come to end and may we enjoy our time until it's death!

Voluntary Ban.
Well there will be much more fun when these threads finally closed. Im looking forward to tournaments and details for them. :)

Probably has homework/a social life that's going down the drain because of Smash news if I had to guess.

Anyway, the way Sakurai talked in today's update made it sound like there's not much to talk about in the WiiU version, which is sort of worrying, unless the next two weeks are just like nonstop stag and mode reveals. Because then we have the secret characters, and then we have the old skool style funny PotDs.

Looking at the official site I'm reminded of how much better the Wii U version looks. Whenever a new character got revealed the token 3DS pic on their page was always the most 'meh' because of how ugly it looked. And 3DS stuff is all we've seen of the unlockable characters!

Can't wait to see the HD models for Jigglypuff, Ness etc, as well as Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr of course.

emb

At some point it was only supposed to go for two months? That seems... strange. Why even start if you're going to stop two months into it, a full year before the game releases?

This part of the quote makes me worry though:
Please not again. ;__;

Probably has homework/a social life that's going down the drain because of Smash news if I had to guess.

Anyway, the way Sakurai talked in today's update made it sound like there's not much to talk about in the WiiU version, which is sort of worrying, unless the next two weeks are just like nonstop stag and mode reveals. Because then we have the secret characters, and then we have the old skool style funny PotDs.
There will be a bomb ass direct for the Wii U version. That plus amiibos will make the direct stellar. I actually like it, like all wii u games there is always that calm before the storm that cause people to dread only to get excited again.

I've seen other people go in for voluntary bans because of this and I never really 'got' it, not to shittalk people who do find it helpful.

When I wanted a break from GAF at the beginning of this year I just stopped posting for a couple months. If I just went in for a ban for a set length of time there's nothing really stopping me from just 'lurking' the same stuff I was going to read whether I was actively posting or not.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I dunno. I forget why but he told us in SmashIRC.

Well there will be much more fun when these threads finally closed. Im looking forward to tournaments and details for them. :)

Yeah, I have no doubt about that! :)

Well, he said near future so I guess we will have funny but interesting picture updates for next two weeks until Monday after release date, we will starting to get updates about 3DS version (Hidden stages, hidden characters, etc, etc)

Once we are done with 3DS version, then it's more likely that we will starting to get Wii U updates. (Hopefully)

I've seen other people go in for voluntary bans because of this and I never really 'got' it, not to shittalk people who do find it helpful.

When I wanted a break from GAF at the beginning of this year I just stopped posting for a couple months. If I just went in for a ban for a set length of time there's nothing really stopping me from just 'lurking' the same stuff I was going to read whether I was actively posting or not.

Yeah I don't get it either.

I lurk more than I post anyway.

Yeah I go ham with the baseball bat. It got buffed (I think in terms of speed and invincibility frame) though I'm not sure why it needed to be.

Golnei

That's plausible enough, but I'm more inclined to believe it's for marketing reasons - if showing more of the Wii U version could affect the 3DS version's international launch in any way, they'd probably be cautious. Though that could just be irrational optimism; it's not like I want to believe there are hardly any new modes, stages or features, after all.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I'm playing the demo on XL and maaaaaan.

I'm constantly pressing B to jump and up and X for my up special. I'm also finding blocking/dodging and grabbing hard on those shoulder buttons.

Wish they'd have included customizable controls for this.

I'm still hoping that the WiiU will have some sort of body fight mode where a player can use the gamepad to control boss characters against four players. Then Ridley could be playable, along with Master Hand and other cool guys.

ciD_Vain

I'm still hoping that the WiiU will have some sort of body fight mode where a player can use the gamepad to control boss characters against four players. Then Ridley could be playable, along with Master Hand and other cool guys.
That would be cool actually.

Do we know if you can toggle Tap-Jump? I despise using the joystick to jump and nothing is worse than jumping by accident.

Golnei

So this announcement on Miiverse confirms that the Wii U version will also release first in Japan?

Technically it just confirms that the release dates will be staggered. But it might as well be a confirmation that the Japanese release will once again be a month earlier.

emb

Technically it just confirms that the release dates will be staggered. But it might as well be a confirmation that the Japanese release will once again be a month earlier.
Maybe it could end up meaning that the Japanese version is launching a little earlier than we expect.

But I don't think we'll see a difference of a full month this time. probably closer to a week or two, if I had to guess.

Pompadour

I've been assuming it would be the other way around as it is important that Smash makes release before Black Friday in NA whereas that timing is less important in Japan, presumably.

Regardless, I think we'll be getting a release date during a Wii U Smash Direct that will happen shortly after 3DS Smash releases here.

That would actually be pretty cool, basically a new smash game releasing every 3 weeks!

3DSJp>3DSww>WiiUJp>WiiUww

Maybe it could end up meaning that the Japanese version is launching a little earlier than we expect.

But I don't think we'll see a difference of a full month this time. probably closer to a week or two, if I had to guess.

It better be a maximum of 3 days.

I'm playing the demo on XL and maaaaaan.

I'm constantly pressing B to jump and up and X for my up special. I'm also finding blocking/dodging and grabbing hard on those shoulder buttons.

Wish they'd have included customizable controls for this.

I've gotten used to it now but before I would keep on pressing the y button to do my special.

Forkball

Find Mii Ghost fans BTFO

I'm sure there will still be useful information. I mean, we have no idea how Wii U/3DS connectivity works, if there's any exclusive modes for the Wii U version, and of course there's probably exclusive stages, items, trophies etc. He implies that the Japanese version will come out first, which is a bit surprising since there are many rumors that it's coming out 11/21 in the US. Would Japan get the Wii U version in October? It seems very quick.

JediLink

You know, looking at the original few PotD's...

I forgot about this one in particular. Why were people still hoping for Ridley? This along with the Smash Direct leave pretty much no room for speculation. He's a stage hazard. (sorry for bringing Ridley up again haha, I'm sure everybody remembers this pic but myself.. I didn't really follow them at the very beginning)
I think giving up before even getting full confirmation of what the shadow is would be premature. It's just all too suspicious for me still.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Still don't understand why Mewtwo is seen as a must. Adding him would mean four gen one reps. Isn't it good to represent the whole spectrum of Pokémon? It's already leaning heavily to the first generation (and that's with Squirtle and Ivysaur gone!), do we need to lean even more?

Kinsei

Banned
So a question at any person with the demo:
What are is your highest score at defending a LvL 9 CPU in 2 Minutes?
After playing the game for a lot of hours and getting better with the five characters, this became my new goal. Especially since it is hard to kill your opponent. My best score is 3 KO with Mega Man against Mario without stupid SDs. Of course, this isn't representative, since the CPU makes a lot of stupid stuff (not targeting the edge while returning for example). But it helps to get into the new gimp-heavy gameplay of SSB4.

4 KO's on level 9 Mario with Mega Man.

Still don't understand why Mewtwo is seen as a must. Adding him would mean four gen one reps. Isn't it good to represent the whole spectrum of Pokémon? It's already leaning heavily to the first generation (and that's with Squirtle and Ivysaur gone!), do we need to lean even more?

Because it's fucking Mewtwo. He's more iconic than half the Smash cast.

Berordn

Mostly because he's a veteran who has a unique playstyle. If they wanted to get clever they could work Mega Evolutions into his playstyle and make him more of a Gen VI rep.

Kjellson

I wonder when Sakurai will talk about Wii U modes, release dates and DLC (if there is any). I feel like we need a Direct or something before November.

Find Mii Ghost fans BTFO

I'm sure there will still be useful information. I mean, we have no idea how Wii U/3DS connectivity works, if there's any exclusive modes for the Wii U version, and of course there's probably exclusive stages, items, trophies etc. He implies that the Japanese version will come out first, which is a bit surprising since there are many rumors that it's coming out 11/21 in the US. Would Japan get the Wii U version in October? It seems very quick.
I just want to slap that goron's pouty face

emb

Even Pokemon decided he was important/popular enough to bring back and give new forms and use in marketing (though the same could be said for several of the Mega evolutions). And he's the closest thing Pokemon has to a recurring end boss.

I don't think having even representation across the generations is an important goal. Having some pokemon that are newer? Sure. We already have that.

And the fact that he's been in before helps too. I wish we could have all the veterans back. But I know we can't because of reasons.

emb

Pic of the days seem pointless now.
That's because they are.

Like the "Pic of the Day" was originally intended, it's not just a screenshot. Might be funny or interesting, but not really meant to showcase new information. And really, there probably isn't much more to tell. The character for the Wii U version are all the same. I'd like to see the stages, modes, and more music, but the primary information is out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom