• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

That's because Zelda is more of an American franchise than Japanese in terms of popularity.

Trueché, but where does that leave Smash Bros? I never thought of it being more popular in a certain territory than in other...Where does the series sell better? I always thought it had pretty equal worldwide appeal, so the Pokémon route seemed the best route to take...

Trueché, but where does that leave Smash Bros? I never thought of it being more popular in a certain territory than in other...Where does the series sell better? I always thought it had pretty equal worldwide appeal, so the Pokémon route seemed the best route to take...

I think it's pretty even, maybe a bit more in America?
There is literally zero reason in this day and age for Smash to not get a worldwide release.

Why are some of you assuming it's over? He wants to focus on the 3DS version right now, but on the other hand he doesn't want to spoil it further before the worldwide release.

We won't see new information in the near feature. Of course he will talk about the Wii U version later.

ugoo18

I find it really baffling, it's 2014 and this is one of nintendos biggest franchises and still no worldwide release.
Even pokemon did it ffs.
How do these people responsible manage to keep their jobs?

Call me salty but Pokemon is top dog for Nintendo and Handhelds an Japan seem to take priority as well.

Clefargle

TILL THE END! WE SHALL RIDE!

Sakurai, take the wheel!

smash-bros-hype-train-png.16126

SoldnerKei

that post from sakurai... somehow it gave me the feels

I'll stick around till the Wii U version is out, gotta play with fellow SmashGAFers too!
also if the SmashGAF power ranking becomes a thing, count me in to fight for Link's spot P:

jnWake

Welp so no new info at least until Smash 3DS launches here. I hope we get a Direct after that though.

The comment about regions doesn't seem that conclusive honestly. Black Friday is a super big date in NA and I'm not sure if Japan has such a shopping spree day. Maybe they'll release the Wii U here first, maybe not. Only Sakurai knows!

Painguy

Showed my friend Smash 4 3DS, and he really loved it. We play a lot of melee with another close friend of ours, and we're all pretty decent, but he isn't a very hardcore gamer so while he enjoys playing melee, the competitiveness isn't exactly ideal for him. We all become very silent and super focused, but if we play Smash 64 we always laugh and shout while playing. Smash 3DS seems to provide more of that laughing and shouting type of fun.

KHlover

Banned
was the rumor for November 21st debunked?

It will be debunked or confirmed only when we get an actual release date. Both sides have good points (makes sense to release 11/21/14 vs placeholder date) and there's no way to know who wil lend up right until Nintendo goes ahead and gives us the goddamn release date >.<

It will be debunked or confirmed only when we get an actual release date. Both sides have good points (makes sense to release 11/21/14 vs placeholder date) and there's no way to know who wil lend up right until Nintendo goes ahead and gives us the goddamn release date >.<

Nintendo wont miss Black Friday in the US with that game plus the Amiibos...there is so much money on the table, a bundle with a Wii U a gamecub controller, the game and an amiboo should be freaking selling like hot cake!

Nintendo wont miss Black Friday in the US with that game plus the Amiibos...there is so much money on the table, a bundle with a Wii U a gamecub controller, the game and an amiboo should be freaking selling like hot cake!

Nintendo isn't quite at Sega levels when it comes to weird decisions, but if there's a way, they'll find it.

KHlover

Banned
That's what I THINK as well, but today's comment hasn't exactly filled me with confidence >.<

I hope US actually gets the game first or Japan gets it in early November, should they get it first. Basically - DON'T MISS OUT ON BLACK FRIDAY NINTENDO ;-;

Nintendo isn't quite at Sega levels when it comes to weird decisions, but if there's a way, they'll find it.

LOL in the mind of some gaffers Nintendo might beat Sega with its launch by saying...look at our new console the Nintendo Wii U which launche.........d quite some time ago!

But seriously after seeing how much Mario Kart draw they have to get Smash out before Black Friday. Everybody and their
duck hunt
dog want to play the game :D

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I find it really baffling, it's 2014 and this is one of nintendos biggest franchises and still no worldwide release.
Even pokemon did it ffs.
How do these people responsible manage to keep their jobs?

Maybe it's because i'm Australian... but ohwell? is it really that bad?

Buy a Japanese 3ds if it's that bad.

Goon Boon

Banned
There really been not a single hint of what Smash Wii U's exclusive mode is so far, has there?

Hopefully whatever it is has online support, because the Smash Run local only thing was a killer.

Nanashrew

Banned
There really been not a single hint of what Smash Wii U's exclusive mode is so far, has there?

Hopefully whatever it is has online support, because the Smash Run local only thing was a killer.

Sakurai only gave the tiniest of hints when he was talking about challenges in the 3DS version. He said they would be much harder in the Wii U version. It's still pretty vague but it's all we have to go on I think. Heath could know more, he's better at keeping track of all of this than I am.

Mistle

You know, looking at the original few PotD's...

2ue8uNS.jpg

Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second&#8230;

I forgot about this one in particular. Why were people still hoping for Ridley? This along with the Smash Direct leave pretty much no room for speculation. He's a stage hazard. (sorry for bringing Ridley up again haha, I'm sure everybody remembers this pic but myself.. I didn't really follow them at the very beginning)

Makai

Will the Wii U version have the same SFX as the 3DS version? There's a lot of really lo-fi sounds, such as the d-d-d when charging a smash attack.

Svafnir

Will the Wii U version have the same SFX as the 3DS version? There's a lot of really lo-fi sounds, such as the d-d-d when charging a smash attack.

I am sure a lot of sounds will be shared, but not all of them. Can't see them redoing all the assist trophy and what not sounds, but we already know there is more music in the wii-u version.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Technically both are a bunch of rectangles placed on a grey background (well technically the 3DS one is lined which wasn't obviously from blurry screenshots)

the Wii U has the advantage that it is framed nicely. Makes all the difference.

FSLink

Banned
I think the clone corner and Shulk being at the bottom of the 3DS CSS is odd, but I love how the backgrounds on the 3DS have different colors for each character (clean rip from me):
CMUK7xG.png

EDIT: for fun and for comparison, here's the CSS from the demo of the 3DS version:

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's funny how the lined background improves the 3DS's CSS compared to when I thought it was just a solid grey lump.

Kouriozan

g3bid.jpg

Pic of the day. These two are a haunting pair. You can only attack Gastly using items, but the Ghost has a perfect guard and reflects your attacks. When you see a Ghost, make sure you use your grab. If you're playing with Diddy Kong, his Monkey Flip should work, too.
Nice.
Hope we'll learn more about Wii U modes soon,

Spinluck

Its been an honor Sakurai. Can't wait for the Direct that we are totally gonna get in the coming months.

I just remembered how much more amazing the Wii U version will be. The game on 3DS is already fantastic, but man, the feel of that demo I played at Best Buy was sublime.

Hype is full speed ahead, we are just changing course!

I'm wondering if the sound is 24KHz instead of 32KHz that the Wii U will likely be (someone with a good ear should listed to Melee tracks then the versions in 3DS).

Most 3DS games seem to be 32KHz (Pokemon XY is more due to using ACC instead) but Kid Icarus was 24KHz (probably cart space issues).

Metal B

So a question at any person with the demo:
What are is your highest score at defending a LvL 9 CPU in 2 Minutes?
After playing the game for a lot of hours and getting better with the five characters, this became my new goal. Especially since it is hard to kill your opponent. My best score is 3 KO with Mega Man against Mario without stupid SDs. Of course, this isn't representative, since the CPU makes a lot of stupid stuff (not targeting the edge while returning for example). But it helps to get into the new gimp-heavy gameplay of SSB4.

Maybe it's because i'm Australian... but ohwell? is it really that bad?

Buy a Japanese 3ds if it's that bad.

It's not about my impatience, it's about basic customer service you would expect from such a major company.
Though we are talking about the same company that still region locks their hardware. They really need to arrive in 2014 already.

After playing the game for a lot of hours and getting better with the five characters, this became my new goal. Especially since it is hard to kill your opponent. My best score is 3 KO with Mega Man against Mario without stupid SDs. Of course, this isn't representative, since the CPU makes a lot of stupid stuff (not targeting the edge while returning for example). But it helps to get into the new gimp-heavy gameplay of SSB4.

On normal mode without iems, just 2 without dying using Link, Mega Man and Villager.

It's not about my impatience, it's about basic customer service you would expect from such a major company.
Though we are talking about the same company that still region locks their hardware. They really need to arrive in 2014 already.

We are talking about 3 weeks...I guess some people would complain if it was a day...

It takes some time to translate every little part of that game and then actually build and ship the cartridges...dont act like its such a major concern, Microsoft needed over a year to launch the XBONE in Japan...

3KO's as Mario, 2 as Villager/Link/Mega Man (the later took awhile to work out how though) and a single knock-out as Pikachu if I'm lucky. Never been able to properly play him for some reason. Mario feels beastly so far but FLUDD is still a useless POS nobody in their right mind ever uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom