• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AKmPlYZ.jpg

Is this a Samus mod?

edit: Sorry about that. I have images disabled and when I clicked the image, it didn't display in its real size.

Gartooth

I'm not afraid to admit I love the NSMB series. Graphics are fine, they fit the simplistic look of the Mario series. On an artistic level I agree they need to not crap out plains/desert/beach/snow/jungle/mountain/cloud/lava worlds over and over again. Biggest crime is soundtrack though. Make NSMB stage with 0 NSMB music and I'm happy.

Gartooth

Oh my god I just saw Project M Wario for the first time. A few move changes and he already looks a lot more like Wario should in a fighting game than the Brawl version.

DaBoss

I would say the Nunchuk is better than Classic Pro. That's how bad I think it is. The sticks are way too elevated. It feels like a cheap plastic toy (because it is cheap and plastic lol). Shoulder buttons are shaped in a terrible way. The only thing the Classic Pro has over the Nunchuk is the second stick. And then the regular Classic is just lol.

SmithnCo

Oh my god I just saw Project M Wario for the first time. A few move changes and he already looks a lot more like Wario should in a fighting game than the Brawl version.

Yeah, they really did a lot of work to Wario. (Even if his down smash - down smash - forward smash combo is hella annoying)

I still like his Brawl version though, even with his spastic animations. I think they were trying to emphasize Warioware because it was pretty new and unique.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, they really did a lot of work to Wario. (Even if his down smash - down smash - forward smash combo is hella annoying)

I still like his Brawl version though, even with his spastic animations. I think they were trying to emphasize Warioware because it was pretty new and unique.

For Wario, You can avoid Down Smash > Down Smash > Forward Smash. My friend managed to avoid my combo few times.

SmithnCo

For Wario, You can avoid Down Smash > Down Smash > Forward Smash. My friend managed to avoid my combo few times.

Oh really? In between down smashes? I might have to figure out the timing then. I thought it might have been a guaranteed hit like Ness double PK fire.

Gartooth

I think it was a big mistake to focus Wario's character around a series which hinges on mini games rather than the actual character. Wario Land series (and Wario World) are character action games that show Wario has tons of cool ideas to bring to Smash. I remember him having a couple grabs in Wario World that could have made an interesting move set considering there aren't any real grapplers yet. A group of fans captured his essence more than an official release. I don't even remember what was pulled from WarioWare, was it only the motorcycle, farts, and outfit?

Edit: Oh yeah Wario Man too.

ffdgh

Project M bowser is so much fun and i also love how his giga bowser transformation actually matches his picked color. same for yoshi's egg shields.

Project M bowser is so much fun and i also love how his giga bowser transformation actually matches his picked color. same for yoshi's egg shields.
Bowser is a freaking BEAST in Project M. Is there any other side smash that beats Bowser's in pure damage and knockback?

I really hope we get a Dry Bowser alternate in SSB4! That's legit.

qq more

Wish Nintendo would put a Wii Mode specific firmware so that the Wii Mode can read GamePad and the Pro as a classic controller

SmithnCo

I think it was a big mistake to focus Wario's character around a series which hinges on mini games rather than the actual character. Wario Land series (and Wario World) are character action games that show Wario has tons of cool ideas to bring to Smash. I remember him having a couple grabs in Wario World that could have made an interesting move set considering there aren't any real grapplers yet. A group of fans captured his essence more than an official release. I don't even remember what was pulled from WarioWare, was it only the motorcycle, farts, and outfit?

Yeah, they should've used his throws from Wario World, those were great. He can do a running grab in Project M too which is nice.

I also remember one of his moves in Brawl looked suspiciously like something from Warioware official art or an ad (possibly his up-B, but it's hard to find the exact pic).

Village

Wario has far more character in the ware games than land.

The land games fun and mechanically sound.

But ware is a good ol' time, and I think that is why sakurai likes it more. Wario wasn't just not mario, wario became something else when ware came around. he had is own friends, and his own style of humor. It was a cool deal, and I think him being a weird character makes far more unique moveset than just his platforming stuff. I know there is nostalgia there, but honestly fuck it. I like what brawl has, its unique good character design.

Your argument seems to keep stemming from things that LOOk like fighting games moves, and as a person who loves Pheonix Wright in marvel, it does not have to look like a fighting game move.

Gartooth

Yeah, they should've used his throws from Wario World, those were great. He can do a running grab in Project M too which is nice.

I also remember one of his moves in Brawl looked suspiciously like something from Warioware official art or an ad (possibly his up-B, but it's hard to find the exact pic).

Everything related to Wario in Brawl was weird, choose to embrace goofy WarioWare version then turn him into a villain that stalks and kidnaps kids. I really hope we see a different take on the character in this game.

Phoenix Wright in Marvel is also weird. Evidence mechanic and stances are cool, but random ass beams and ghost fingers are odd. I guess the most important thing is that someone feels 'in' character. Got that with PW, not really with Wario.

Village

Everything related to Wario in Brawl was weird, choose to embrace goofy WarioWare version then turn him into a villain that stalks and kidnaps kids. I really hope we see a different take on the character in this game.

Phoenix Wright in Marvel is also weird. Evidence mechanic and stances are cool, but random ass beams and ghost fingers are odd. I guess the most important thing is that someone feels 'in' character. Got that with PW, not really with Wario.

It is in character, you can not like wario ware wario, but that is wario.

R0ckman

So...
How does everyone feel about Wolf?
New moveset required? Good as he is already?

Falco and Wolf should be cut to air out the roster, reflecting the condition of the franchise. Out of respect, Falco is moved towards a team summon final smash where Fox calls in his team for an air raid with some dialogue. Wolf can be an assist or level cameo. They are both not unique in presentation, all space animals from the same game with quick differences.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh really? In between down smashes? I might have to figure out the timing then. I thought it might have been a guaranteed hit like Ness double PK fire.

Yeah, he dodged/rolled out of specific timing right after down smash. I'm trying to figure it out too since he rarely use it against me in the past. I always use that combo against him so he learned how to roll out of the combo.

Caladrius

Wish Nintendo would put a Wii Mode specific firmware so that the Wii Mode can read GamePad and the Pro as a classic controller

You didn't learn your lesson after last time, did you?

*sighs*

To actually address your point, It'd be nice but It's a lot of work and money for something that isn't much more than a convenience.

Kokonoe

Banned
The Game Pad can't be used to control Wii games. It can only display Wii output on the screen.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Game Pad and U controller doesn't work in wii mode.

You didn't learn your lesson after last time, did you?

*sighs*

To actually address your point, It'd be nice but It's a lot of work and money for something that isn't much more than a convenience.

I consider controllers for the console I'm playing on to work with backwards compatibility a necessity to be quite honest. PS3 did it with the PS3 controller and PS1/PS2 games, Xbox 360 did it with the Xbox 360 controller and Xbox games, and even 3DS does it using the Circle Pad with DS games in DS mode.

Village

Falco and Wolf should be cut to air out the roster, reflecting the condition of the franchise. Out of respect, Falco is moved towards a team summon final smash where Fox calls in his team for an air raid with some dialogue. .
NOPE

1) People like those characters
2) Captain falcon would be removed

Wolf can be an assist or level cameo. They are both not unique in presentation, all space animals from the same game with quick differences.
\

What even is this/

ffdgh

Falco and Wolf should be cut to air out the roster, reflecting the condition of the franchise. Out of respect, Falco is moved towards a team summon final smash where Fox calls in his team for an air raid with some dialogue. Wolf can be an assist or level cameo. They are both not unique in presentation, all space animals from the same game with quick differences.

Umm yeah can't agree with cutting them just for the sake of it and they are plenty unique especially wolf.

It's that his double jump is based on this piece of artwork, right?

Anyways I like Wario's moveset. His Land moveset (from what I can surmise, I've only played some of 4) primarily consists of transformations (which would really be a nightmare to model for), and his standard moves from Land are generally pretty well represented from what I can tell (I really only know the dash and the ground pound off the top of my head, and the former is his side smash and the latter is down throw, right?).

Other than that, he has his moves from World, which... I would say the Smash team isn't alone in forgetting, when it comes to representation in games. That's the only qualm that I have off the top of me head, really. I haven't played it, but my understanding of the game is that it's a brawler of sorts and probably has lots of physical moves Wario could use. He has enough relatively plain standard moves that I think a few World moves could fit in to his moveset.

Still, this is the perspective of someone who really likes WarioWare and hasn't really played his platformers, so take it as you will. I think his Brawl moveset generally does a good job of reflecting his personality, and a decent job of reflecting his moveset from past games.

Gartooth

It is in character, you can not like wario ware wario, but that is wario.

It is Wario in the sense that Ganondorf in Smash is Ganondorf. Doesn't mean it is an accurate portrayal of the character. I'm not saying every single move needs to be pulled from a source game, but at the same time I like the feeling of seeing someone like Mega Man ripped from his NES games, or Yoshi from Yoshi's Island, Samus from Super Metroid, etc. All I get from Wario is that Sakurai was bored and didn't care for him in Wario Land so decided to embrace the comedy and randomness of WarioWare by making the character completely bonkers in many aspects.

Berordn

It is Wario in the sense that Ganondorf in Smash is Ganondorf. Doesn't mean it is an accurate portrayal of the character. I'm not saying every single move needs to be pulled from a source game, but at the same time I like the feeling of seeing someone like Mega Man ripped from his NES games, or Yoshi from Yoshi's Island, Samus from Super Metroid, etc. All I get from Wario is that Sakurai was bored and didn't care for him in Wario Land so decided to embrace the comedy and randomness of WarioWare by making the character completely bonkers in many aspects.

The character takes all his cues from WarioWare, with a few references to Wario Land. He's very much Wario, even if you dislike his WarioWare rendition.

Top Bottom