• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

SeanR1221

So your solution is to take out that enjoyment for people who buy the game and would like to go through a story mode.

This is the dumbest.fucking.logic. I've ever read. What the flying fuck....

Wow. And I was actually contemplating a Wii U for this. Never change, Nintendo.

georly

Meh.. SSE was only good for one playthrough. The 2nd time I tried was a snoozefest.

I agree. I do hope there is a pretty expansive single player mode though, especially for 3ds. Something that keeps me playing when i'm on the go, have no friends or wifi nearby, etc. Something to let me feel like i'm making progress, not just unlocking trophies and stickers.

Kurtofan

The lack of SP isn't bad as long as there's SP content.
There will be, won't there?

Most certainly, Melee didn't have a story mode but it still had a lot of SP content.

He said this for 3DS:
The new Smash Bros. game will not feature a story mode, but Sakurai said the 3DS version would include a game mode that will "act as a separate mode from the standard versus play," though he did not go into any greater detail.

Also Sakurai said there would still be cutscenes:

Though the upcoming Smash Bros. game will not feature such cutscenes, Sakurai said he remains interested in launching character-specific videos that can be shared online. Nintendo has already released such videos for newcomers the Villager, Mega-Man, and the Wii Fit Trainer.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/new-smash-bros-wont-have-story-mode-cutscenes-6412031

Village

So your solution is to take out that enjoyment for people who buy the game and would like to go through a story mode.

Agreed.

I think my newspaper sakurai idea is looking pretty good right now.

Most certainly, Melee didn't have a story mode but it still had a lot of SP content.

He said this for 3DS:

Also Sakurai said there would still be cutscenes:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/new-smash-bros-wont-have-story-mode-cutscenes-6412031

If its like melee that is worse. We just downgraded.

With his logic, devs shouldn't even bother with making cutscenes or a story in their games, all dat shit gets uploaded to Youtube anyway. Sorry, this is just...hilarious to me right now.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
And even if it lags if the online is structured where the skill wall gets steep for some reason, it still wont matter. I hope not ,the bloody thing sells more than 10 million. I hope they account for a lot of those people sucking ass so they create a system that pits you against people dependent on how much ass you suck.

I am fine with getting my ass handed to me as long as I can actually see my ass getting handed to me.

Kurtofan

If its like melee that is worse. We just downgraded.

I don't know. The Adventure mode was pretty boring but the Events and Target Test were better imo.

I'd like Board the Platforms to be back.

SSE's cutscenes were nice but SSE itself was kind of...boring? I don't know on the one hand I'm sad they don't try to improve it but on the other I'm kind of glad they don't waste resources on Bosses etc...

His logic against cutscenes is weird though.

Village

I don't know. The Adventure mode was pretty boring but the Events and Target Test were better imo.

I'd like Board the Platforms to be back.

SSE's cutscenes were nice but SSE itself was kind of...boring? I don't know on the one hand I'm sad they don't try to improve it but on the other I'm kind of glad they don't waste resources on Bosses etc...

His logic against cutscenes is weird though.

I want them to SSE , but better, the idea isn't bad. The execution was , a story mode where your favorite heroes adventure around a universe. I am always down.

I am indifferent about events and target tests. They are there , and there isn't exact anything bad about them. However they were not interesting to me.

XenodudeX

Who fucking cares. Brawl's story mode was shit. Just go back to adventure mode like Melee and be done with it.

SuperSah

Banned
I'm not liking Sakurai's excuse for not including cutscenes. Sure, no biggy at all, but seriously, blaming people for uploading them is stupid.

It could be seen as free advertising since people might see them and think "woah cool!" and research more.

It sounds as if he's really been gimped with time constraints and they're rushing this as much as possible.

NeonZ

It sounds as if he's really been gimped with time constraints and they're rushing this as much as possible.

Well, if you look at the full quote, he mentions a new mode in the 3ds version at least. So, it doesn't sound like it was just cut, but replaced by something else.

If there's no cut scenes, no story mode, character limit due to 3DS, who knows what other limits, watch music be cut and limited :(

The hell is taking so long for this game to come out?

It should get released the same day/month Brawl got released but it's getting held til holiday 2014 :/ Smh

I would have been completely fine with "CG takes time bro."

It was cool to see Samus team up with Pikachu, but I would have tossed Subspace Emissary into a fire to get Brawl in 2007.

If there's no cut scenes, no story mode, character limit due to 3DS, who knows what other limits, watch music be cut and limited :(

It should get released the same day/month Brawl got released but it's getting held til holiday 2014 :/ Smh

Did you read it at all? That's not the reason they're doing any of that in the slightest :\ Seems like you just have an axe to grind.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I recall something to the effect that:

3DS = Single Player Oriented

Wii U = Multiplayer Oriented

And that there will be some correlation between the two.

NeonZ

I think we already got a confirmation that the Wii U and 3ds versions would have different soundtracks (like stages)? I might be mistaken though.

It was cool to see Samus team up with Pikachu, but I would have tossed Subspace Emissary into a fire to get Brawl in 2007.

The CG stuff isn't really done by the main development team...

SuperSah

Banned
Well, if you look at the full quote, he mentions a new mode in the 3ds version at least. So, it doesn't sound like it was just cut, but replaced by something else.

Yeah, true, but they didn't need such a bad excuse for not releasing cutscenes. They should of at least had a decent excuse for excluding it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yeah, true, but they didn't need such a bad excuse for not releasing cutscenes. They should of at least had a decent excuse for excluding it.

I don't understand why it should be an excuse. can't it be simply his idea about that "issue".
it's not that for KI Uprising he didn't develop cutscenes, even if those could have been on youtube after awhile.
probably he thinks that in a beat'em up like Smash the story mode is interesting only to discover cut scene, unlike an adventure game like KI.

Kurtofan

Sakurai said the two games would have different Music, so I don't see the 3DS is limiting the Wii U.

SuperSah

Banned
Basically, pretty much no one liked Subspace Emissary.

If i'm honest, I enjoyed SSE and seeing my favourite characters fighting some whacky ass boss.

So what other SP can there be? Also to the earlier poster; i'm sure both games will have multiplayer considering KI:U's good netcode and Wii U's better infrastructure.

Cse

Banned
Sakurai really does have some backwards thinking.

He doesn't think Smash is a "fighting" game.

He intentionally deployed mechanics in Brawl to reduce the skill gap so casual players would have more fun.

Now, he's eliminating an entire portion of the game simply because some of it may leak out on to the internet...? The casual crowd that he so heavily caters to won't even see the leaks, and the devoted fans would obviously have a choice in whether or not they wanted to expose themselves to that information.

"A lot". Yeah, sure, if you consider being forced to play the same single player content 24 times to unlock everything better. (Because you had to play classic or adventure mode with every other character to get game and watch).

How people can consider that better than a dedicated single player baffles me.

Basically, pretty much no one liked Subspace Emissary.

Yeah, no. The only problem with it was generic enemies and stages instead of picking from all the nintendo history he had access to. It was, at least, an enjoyable coop game the first time through, and I was waiting/hoping for another new one. It was certainly better than melees clear classic/adventure mode x times with x different characters to get more.

NotLiquid

In terms of his "excuse", I'll just put this out there.

Considering how Sakurai was responsible for Kid Icarus Uprising, a game that was full on set pieces and story without an abundant use of cutscenes but also through game play, there is merit in his reasoning. A game doesn't need cutscenes if it has anything to leverage itself with, and if the best thing a Smash Bros single player story mode can offer is "cutscenes" (which was basically the only thing worth playing SSE for), it's a pointless affair. It might as well do the Melee adventure mode which allows for a much better crossover campaign.

Perhaps the real point to be taken from him is that there was no point in doing another SSE affair because all it had to offer in the first place was cutscenes. Under those circumstances, I can get behind his decision. There's going to be a single player campaign mode anyways, so it'll probably just be the same thing but without those cutscenes, and because of that it'll potentially also have a lot more to do with "Nintendo" seeing how SSE had to skewer the story in favor of an original new villain.

SuperSah

Banned
Also, if his excuse is that the SSE wasn't really liked, why not admit it?

Then we'll have a reason to listen, but using cutscenes as the reason is a bit silly.

Village

In terms of his "excuse", I'll just put this out there.

Considering how Sakurai was responsible for Kid Icarus Uprising, a game that was full on set pieces and story without an abundant use of cutscenes but also through game play, there is merit in his reasoning. A game doesn't need cutscenes if it has anything to leverage itself with, and if the best thing a Smash Bros single player story mode can offer is "cutscenes" (which was basically the only thing worth playing SSE for), it's a pointless affair. It might as well do the Melee adventure mode which allows for a much better crossover campaign.

Perhaps the real point to be taken from him is that there was no point in doing another SSE affair because all it had to offer in the first place was cutscenes, and if it really has nothing to offer other than that there's no real point to it. Under those circumstances, I can get behind his decision. There's going to be a single player campaign mode anyways, so it'll probably just be the same thing but without those cutscenes.

Injustice-Logo.png

Im sorry I thought we were talking about competent developers.

cut scenes are an offering because its a bloody crossoever, that what you buy a crossoever for character interaction.

NeonZ

So what other SP can there be?

Well, the quote about the 3ds version's single player mode...

For the 3DS version, they are planning on having the usual versus mode, plus another completely different way to play.

Sounds like something different from Smash Bros core gameplay. I'm fearing it might be a bunch of tacked on minigames, personally.

Kid Icarus didn't have cutscenes. It had a lot of dialogue/setpieces, but those were all contained within the game itself. There was no instance where you were sitting around watching something happen for more than 10 seconds.

Kurtofan

"A lot". Yeah, sure, if you consider being forced to play the same single player content 24 times to unlock everything better. (Because you had to play classic or adventure mode with every other character to get game and watch).

How people can consider that better than a dedicated single player baffles me.

Events, Target Smash, trophies to collect, stadium... there was still single player content.

NotLiquid

cut scenes are an offering because its a bloody crossoever, that what you buy a crossoever for character interaction.

Well hey good news, you're getting those too. The trailers we've gotten for the new characters are infinitely better than anything Brawl had on offer.

Camjo-Z

The shorts they've released so far have been 100x better than the dull Brawl cutscenes, and SSE wasn't that much fun anyways. I'll be glad to see them go.

Dr.Hadji

Sakurai really does have some backwards thinking.

He doesn't think Smash is a "fighting" game.

He intentionally deployed mechanics in Brawl to reduce the skill gap so casual players would have more fun.

Now, he's eliminating an entire portion of the game simply because some of it may leak out on to the internet...? The casual crowd that he so heavily caters to won't even see the leaks, and the devoted fans would obviously have a choice in whether or not they wanted to expose themselves to that information.

This isn't a crazy notion. Other popular fighting series have some through the same thing at some point or another if they were ever popular enough to be called a bit hit. Maybe not as much as the perceived difference between Melee and Brawl. But the thought is still sound.

Village

I'm... not sure what your point is?

A game doesn't need cutscenes if it has anything to leverage itself with, .

this is a cross over game, a crossover fighting game. The reason one purchases a crossover anything is to see things interact. That is what cut scenes are for, competent developers can provide both these things. That line of logic just seems like sorry if it sounds offensive apologetic loser speak. You are bloody nintendo fucking neither realms is doing better than you in the story department and now in the internet department

HOLY SHIT

Well hey good news, you're getting those too. The trailers we've gotten for the new characters are infinitely better than anything Brawl had on offer.

With no story what is the point.

Also that is super opinionated.

SuperSah

Banned
Well, the quote about the 3ds version's single player mode...

Sounds like something different from Smash Bros core gameplay. I'm fearing it might be a bunch of tacked on minigames, personally.

Seriously hope it's not a bunch of crappy minigames, lol.

I'm buying Smash Bros. 3DS for the main core gameplay, and multiplayer, so I guess a campaign isn't really necessary, but it'd be nice if it wasn't minigames.

Revven

How people can consider that better than a dedicated single player baffles me

How is it baffling? Each mode was short enough to allow for replayability. The gameplay in Smash is what you play it for and would be the incentive to replay those modes to unlock the other shit.

Also in Melee there are alternative ways to unlock characters just like Brawl. You don't have to play Classic Mode with all the starting characters to unlock Marth, you can instead play each starting character in VS mode once to unlock him for example.

And besides, you're acting like you didn't have to do that in Brawl at all, when in fact, to get all the trophies you had to slog through SSE levels with that stupid trophy stand and throw it at enemies. Not to mention having to play All Star and Classic modes to get everyone's trophies again... and so on.

SSE didn't improve on that aspect at all and in fact made it so much more worse (aside from character unlocking, but even so it was boring to slog through to get all the characters).

And as far as "my friends liked it!" is really anecdotal and doesn't prove anything lol. All that shows is, yes, some people liked it. But there's always a group of people who like something.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So I plan to purchase a digital version for the 3DS and a Retail version for Wii U.

What about you?

For me having Smash wherever I go on my 3DS is appealing.

If it supports a E-shop release.

NotLiquid

this is a cross over game, a crossover fighting game. The reason one purchases a crossover anything is to see things interact. That is what cut scenes are for, competent developers can provide both these things. That line of logic just seems like sorry if it sounds offensive apologetic loser speak. You are bloody nintendo fucking neither realms is doing better than you in the story department and now in the internet department

HOLY SHIT

If "cutscenes", a non-interactive medium, is the main thing constituting crossover interaction in what is a game, an interactive medium, then you're probably in this gig for the wrong reasons. There are plenty other ways which Smash Bros can crossover much better.

And as I've said, if cutscenes is what you want that badly then you've already got Sakurai confirming all the character trailers we'll be getting - which so far is off to a good start. So there's your best of both worlds.

Calm down.

With no story what is the point.

Smash Bros always had a story to it. It was just simplified to it's most reasonable point.

Village

How is it baffling? Each mode was short enough to allow for replayability. The gameplay in Smash is what you play it for and would be the incentive to replay those modes to unlock the other shit.

Also in Melee there are alternative ways to unlock characters just like Brawl. You don't have to play Classic Mode with all the starting characters to unlock Marth, you can instead play each starting character in VS mode once to unlock him for example.

And besides, you're acting like you didn't have to do that in Brawl at all, when in fact, to get all the trophies you had to slog through SSE levels with that stupid trophy stand and throw it at enemies. Not to mention having to play All Star and Classic modes to get everyone's trophies again... and so on.

SSE didn't improve on that aspect at all and in fact made it so much more worse (aside from character unlocking, but even so it was boring to slog through to get all the characters).

And as far as "my friends liked it!" is really anecdotal and doesn't prove anything lol. All that shows is, yes, some people liked it. But there's always a group of people who like something.

Fun fact, that logic works in reverse.

So what is your point here.

Events, Target Smash, trophies to collect, stadium... there was still single player content.

And all those things made it to brawl, (and no-one really cared) so I don't see your point. Yeah, ok, target smash was scaled back from a dedicated stage for each character, but that's hardly a bad trade off for a 8 or so hour campaign.

SuperSah

Banned
So I plan to purchase a digital version for the 3DS and a Retail version for Wii U.

What about you?

For me having Smash wherever I go on my 3DS is appealing.

If it supports a E-shop release.

Of course it'll be on the eShop.
I'm getting 3DS ver. for portable smash and online.

I'll probably get it on Wii U if I ever own one by then.

Cse

Banned
This isn't a crazy notion. Other popular fighting series have some through the same thing at some point or another if they were ever popular enough to be called a bit hit. Maybe not as much as the perceived difference between Melee and Brawl. But the thought is still sound.

Perhaps.

The issue is that the base to which he was catering didn't care one way or the other. Casual players had fun in Melee and Brawl. They don't sit around complaining about specific mechanics and balance issues - they're going to pick up the game once or twice or month and have a good time regardless.

More devoted, competitive players, however, do look at such details - and for some reason, Brawl placed limitations on just how good a player could be.

It's like if you have a jumping contest between two people - one is a corpulent slug, the other is a world class athlete. If you ask both of them to jump, it's likely that the athlete will be able to jump higher, but most importantly, no limitations were placed on either individual. Now, however, lower the ceiling to the point where it's just inches above the athlete's head, and then ask both individuals to jump. The results have been normalized, as the athlete can no longer create any separation.

Top Bottom