• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

I can't imagine why the Subspace would be hated so much. How was Melee's adventure mode any better? I never heard any hate for that.

And the Subspace wasn't even mandatory, you could unlock the characters like before by playing a lot of matches, just like before.

Maybe we should wait and see what kind of single player modes they're actually going to include before jumping to conclusions?

Naw, this wouldn't be GAF unless we had a ton of negative knee-jerk reactions to a detail we hardly know anything about. Anyways, by the way it sounds, people buy Smash Bros for the story and cinematics, not the gameplay.

Village

Smash Bros always had a story to it. It was just simplified to it's most reasonable point.

That sounds fancy words for jack shit to me, have fun with that nothing though.

If "cutscenes", a non-interactive medium, is the main thing constituting crossover interaction in what is a game, an interactive medium, then you're probably in this gig for the wrong reasons. There are plenty other ways which Smash Bros can crossover much better.

And as I've said, if cutscenes is what you want that badly then you've already got Sakurai confirming all the character trailers we'll be getting - which so far is off to a good start. So there's your best of both worlds.

Calm down.

Who said main, I said both. Like i said a good dev can do both, they have fighting down, lets work on a bloody reason they are fighting. Have some extra content so people can enjoy themselves outside of MP.

And to the middle he has already talked bout the things like SSE being cut with no story, what is the point. The best of nothing really , I justice had a story that had all its characters interact and have a reason being there, Why cant the game series who's last installment sold over 10 million copies afford to throw something together.

I may be a bit loud but its all ridiculous to me.
Christ Nintendo

To be fair its probably not even his fault, they might be rushing it out the door because the wii u launch was so crap they do not have to waste.

Galang

Banned
Rather them not waste resources on any fluff like videos or SSE again. If this game is being rushed out I rather all time be devoted to the actual mechanics of the game considering how bloated Brawl was with useless stuff. There's no way there's not going to be a lot of Single Player content. It just sounds like a change in focus. No need to jump to conclusions yet.

NotLiquid

I can't imagine why the Subspace would be hated so much. How was Melee's adventure mode any better? I never heard any hate for that.

And the Subspace wasn't even mandatory, you could unlock the characters like before by playing a lot of matches, just like before.

Melee's adventure mode could be finished in 20 minutes, threw some fun gimmicks, twists and curve balls depending on your performance, was actually Nintendo-based and wasn't just a mindless slog of generic areas and boring enemies. It felt like an adventure through Nintendo memorabilia and was charming as it's own side thing.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Rather them not waste resources on any fluff like videos or SSE again. If this game is being rushed out I rather all time be devoted to the actual mechanics of the game considering how bloated Brawl was with useless stuff. There's no way there's not going to be a lot of Single Player content. It just sounds like a change in focus. No need to jump to conclusions yet.

Didn't the cutscenes take up a lot of space or at the least a decent chunk?

How is it baffling? Each mode was short enough to allow for replayability. The gameplay in Smash is what you play it for and would be the incentive to replay those modes to unlock the other shit.

If you have to introduce an "incentive" instead of making your game enjoyable for at least one playthrough, you have a big problem. Subspace was totally worth at least one playthrough and melees singleplayer is seriously not worth playing 24 times.

Also in Melee there are alternative ways to unlock characters just like Brawl. You don't have to play Classic Mode with all the starting characters to unlock Marth, you can instead play each starting character in VS mode once to unlock him for example.
And if you have to count the alternate ways that aren't from the single player content, you miss the point entirely. As you said yourself, if you're only interested in the multiplayer, you shouldn't even be in this discussion because you don't care about either form of adventure mode. Subspace was significantly better as a method

And besides, you're acting like you didn't have to do that in Brawl at all, when in fact, to get all the trophies you had to slog through SSE levels with that stupid trophy stand and throw it at enemies. Not to mention having to play All Star and Classic modes to get everyone's trophies again... and so on.

Right, because playable characters are directly equivilant to the trophies in a fighting game in requirement for seriously playing the game. That's like yelling at a sequel which has a really hard achievement/trophy and declaring the previous game to be better because of it. Absolute nonsense.

*puts in game and sees no opening video, just cuts straight to main menu*

My soul would be crushed if there's no opening movie, I love them.

But anyway, at least we still get character trailers, I'll take that at least.

Gonna need one of little Mac running on the road with his trainer Louis and a paper(or smash letter) hits him in the face and he rushes to the ring stage

It's from punch out :p

Village

If you have to introduce an "incentive" instead of making your game enjoyable for at least one playthrough, you have a big problem. Subspace was totally worth at least one playthrough and melees singleplayer is seriously not worth playing 24 times.

And if you have to count the alternate ways that aren't from the single player content, you miss the point entirely. As you said yourself, if you're only interested in the multiplayer, you shouldn't even be in this discussion because you don't care about either form of adventure mode. Subspace was significantly better as a method

Right, because playable characters are directly equivilant to the trophies in a fighting game in requirement for seriously playing the game. That's like yelling at a sequel which has a really hard achievement/trophy and declaring the previous game to be better because of it. Absolute nonsense.

* clapity claps*

Except for the last part, however subspace was easy so in this case its not even valid. And there were other ways to unlock everyone you didn't have to touch SSE

Here is the problem, there are people who like SSE. What you call useless fluff plenty of people enjoyed change of focused be damned.

I thought I saw that rumored before, but I'm just a bit disappointed because it seems that younger kids enjoy Single Player modes more than multiplayer modes, but they don't have a voice to output on forums and whatnot. My little brother and I almost exclusively played coop missions together, unless his friends were there

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Subspace Emissary fucking sucked. Definitively missed potential and poorly conceived. Hope they've got better ideas cooking for Smash.

NotLiquid

That sounds fancy words for jack shit to me, have fun with that nothing though.

Brawl's premise is built on the almost same exact narrative as the other games you know. It never bothered doing anything with that narrative as that plot was completely out of the left field and based on something entirely different. In a sense I always found that the appeal of Smash Bros.; especially the metaphors one can draw with the original game.

Who said main, I said both. Like i said a good dev can do both, they have fighting down, lets work on a bloody reason they are fighting. Have some extra content so people can enjoy themselves outside of MP.

And to the middle he has already talked bout the things like SSE being cut with no story, what is the point. The best of nothing really , I justice had a story that had all its characters interact and have a reason being there, Why cant the game series who's last installment sold over 10 million copies afford to throw something together.

I may be a bit loud but its all ridiculous to me.
Christ Nintendo

Fair enough. I haven't played Injustice so who knows, maybe it's the best thing in crossovers since peanut butter jelly. I can see why the removal of SSE-like cutscenes might be a bother but I can also see why, if from a developer perspective, Sakurai wanted to avoid doing another SSE.

Unless I'm mistaken, Sakurai himself took the creative duties of Kid Icarus Uprising simply because he wasn't satisfied with how SSE turned out in the long run - which is why I don't get the arguments against him that the "internet" excuse means he's ass-backwards and against story modes and single player content. The guy can easily do a good single player campaign if he puts his mind to it but I think that in terms of the general picture here, he'd rather give the crossover spice through things like event modes, character trailers and a regular old adventure mode, and that's completely fine in my eyes. Though that's just me speaking.

DaBoss

Subspace didn't have anything resembling a story. It had the basic plot of bad guys doing bad things and good guys confused and eventually join forces to face the ultimate evil. It just did that with cutscenes (some of which were cool). It also made Brawl's opening the weakest of all of the Smash Bros openings so far.

It was a boring long snoozefest that had some trophies locked behind it so one would have to play it multiple times to get them. Only redeeming factor it had was boss battles, which ended up also being a separate mode which was infinitely better than doing boss battles in Subspace.

Sakurai's excuse is bullshit, but it's hard to be disappointed when Subspace was terrible and when he has already confirmed there still will be some form of CGI scenes.

I also think adventure mode from Melee was boring too, but it was at least shorter.

EDIT: Let's not forget how Subspace made unlocking characters boringly easy. I didn't want to start playing MP till I beat SSE.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also I'm pretty sure Sakurai was referring to the SSE cutscenes. With SSE confirmed not to be there, cutscenes wouldn't be there.

Smash never had any cutscenes. All you got is this attack montage and a snapshot at the end.

NotLiquid

It also made Brawl's opening the weakest of all of the Smash Bros openings so far.

I can definitely agree with this, and I hope the new game prevails.

I hope Sakurai isn't too committed with his "meh internet" if anything else because I desperately want to go blind into the opening and get the sense of "holy shit" again. That's the one unique and major cutscene I really want to see. And bring back the "Super Smash Bros" title call with the original voice actor who gave a sense of action over scale.

Village

Sakurai doesn't feel a whole lot of cutscenes are required.

Kid Icarus Uprising is a good example of this.

When did kid Icarus become a fighting game. You can only work so much dialogue into combat situations, epically since many of these characters do not talk.

Brawl's premise is built on the almost same exact narrative as the other games you know. It never bothered doing anything with that narrative as that plot was completely out of the left field and based on something entirely different. In a sense I always found that the appeal of Smash Bros.; especially the metaphors one can draw with the original game.

Fair enough. I haven't played Injustice so who knows, maybe it's the best thing in crossovers since peanut butter jelly. I can see why the removal of SSE-like cutscenes might be a bother but I can also see why, if from a developer perspective, Sakurai wanted to avoid doing another SSE.

Unless I'm mistaken, Sakurai himself took the creative duties of Kid Icarus Uprising simply because he wasn't satisfied with how SSE turned out in the long run - which is why I don't get the arguments against him that he's somehow ass-backwards. The guy can easily do a good single player campaign if he puts his mind to it but I think that in terms of the general picture here, he'd rather give the crossover spice through things like event modes, character trailers and a regular old adventure mode, and that's completely fine in my eyes. Though that's just me speaking.
My issue is that the premise isn't bad, just try again and do better.

Also his reasoning is kind of ass backwards, cut-scenes on the web. Yes sakurai you live in the age of high speed internet and connectivity, and people can see game cutcenes with in days of a games release. But you wanna know what happens when people like your game, they buy it anyway.

PK Gaming

SSE story wouldn't have been so terrible if it wasn't written by the guy who was a scenario writer for several Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts games (FF7, FF8, FFX, etc)

I'm not saying he's a bad writer, but there was a serious discord between story mode and the characters. It shouldn't have be melodramatic, the characters were off and it took itself way to seriously. On the other hand, Kid Icarus: Uprising has a story that's basically the opposite of that (Lighthearted and witty) and was great.

I'm hoping that the next smash game has an adventure mode handles character interactions similarly to Kid Icarus Uprising (EX: In the WFT adventure mode, she lectures each of her opponents) but I doubt that will happen.

Village

How did you people manage to play Melee when it had no cut scenes

I didn't like it . Long short.

Subspace didn't have anything resembling a story. It had the basic plot of bad guys doing bad things and good guys confused and eventually join forces to face the ultimate evil. It just did that with cutscenes (some of which were cool). It also made Brawl's opening the weakest of all of the Smash Bros openings so far.

EDIT: Let's not forget how Subspace made unlocking characters boringly easy. I didn't want to start playing MP till I beat SSE.

Regardless of your opinion on that matter, that sounds like a story.

DaBoss

SSE story wouldn't have been so terrible if it wasn't written by the guy who was a scenario writer for several Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts games (FF7, FF8, FFX, etc)

I'm not saying he's a bad writer, but there was a serious discord between story mode and the characters. It shouldn't have be melodramatic, the characters were off and it took itself way to seriously. On the other hand, Kid Icarus: Uprising has a story that's basically the opposite of that (Lighthearted and witty) and was great.

I'm hoping that the next smash game has an adventure mode handles character interactions similarly to Kid Icarus Uprising (EX: In the WFT adventure mode, she lectures each of her opponents) but I doubt that will happen.

Well Kid Icarus has dialogue which isn't something Smash Bros will have. The dialogue was what made the game very light-hearted and comedic.

Regardless of your opinion on that matter, that sounds like a story.

Meant to add meaningful story in the first sentence. It is like a story that doesn't mean much at all. No crossover game needs a story or a story that makes sense. The whole point of a crossover game is to have characters from different game universes in one game alongside each other.

PK Gaming

The next smash game should absolutely have pre-battle dialogue, like in other fighting games.

It's much more interesting to watch the characters talk instead of glaring at each other. (Though some characters should remain silent)

I'm amazed by the importance you guys give to the 1-p mode. I'm only playing it to unlock stuff. It could be the shittiest solo mode of all time, if the multiplayer is great, I wouldn't care at all.

1P mode can really help make or break a fighting game for me. Since I won't always have people around me to play with, I need some sort of decent activities to do when I want to play by myself. This is one of the key reasons I vastly prefer Melee to Brawl.

That said, Smash 4 should have an excellent online component so the single player won't be as important. But I still hope it has some kind of lighthearted story or story mode - just nothing like the utterly awful SSE.

The thing about sse is that while there were some interesting ideas it didnt feel right with what he type of game smash bros was. Some of it felt to over dramatic and only a few parts realt invoked any humor( which i was expecting in a cross over game where a fat plumber fights a bounty hunter with a plasma cannon)
I will say though i jus a tad dissapointed by this news but im gonna keep my hopes up.

I think what would be interestin if they do go back to with somethin like melees style is that they add some of the elements in sse that was enjoyable (mebe add some exploration or a few boss fights mebe even a riv battle with a cutscene or intro of sorts)

Village

There is no SSE because they can't just pull everything from a Kirby game in development hell.
heh

Meant to add meaningful story in the first sentence. It is like a story that doesn't mean much at all. No crossover game needs a story or a story that makes sense. The whole point of a crossover game is to have characters from different game universes in one game alongside each other.

Smash bros story doesnt have to be meaningful, just interesting. And to many it was, I think they can do better though. Also the point of a crossover besides advertising, and making sick amounts of cash, is character interaction. And I would argue having story should be par for the frigging course in a crossover anything, epically a fighting game. Single player content is valuable, there are plenty of smucks who suck large amounts of ass at fighting games, but would like to play them aside from just bot matches. Having some type of story there would at least provide them some enjoyment. And there some people , epically a lot of kids who get into this story kind of thing. Why limit yourself to only way of expression yourself that way, seems silly.

SSE wasn't the greatest, but it was a nice break from MP and I really enjoyed playing co-op with my brother.

This is disappointing to say the least, and I hope the MP is ridiculously amazing to make up for it. That means they'll need to sort out the online option for those of us who can't LAN and don't want to fight bots all day

SuperSah

Banned
Explains so much.

What was so special about tomorrow...?

They said apparently after talking to a developer on SSB that we'll be seeing a new Pokémon rep this week and Little Mac after. So far, no Pokémon this week, so if it doesn't happen tomorrow, we can rule out such rumour.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They said apparently after talking to a developer on SSB that we'll be seeing a new Pokémon rep this week and Little Mac after. So far, no Pokémon this week, so if it doesn't happen tomorrow, we can rule out such rumour.

Eh. I expect just another screenshot of little importance.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But seriously, the reaction to the cutscene feels so late. I can't comprehend. It's like weeks old but now people are just acting up on it followed by misinterpretations?

zroid

Banned
Because I have absolutely nothing better to do at all, I compiled all the dailies into a minus album: http://minus.com/m_SSB4dailies

I'll try to keep it updated.

As an aside, while I was going through the previous posts, I noticed he said something about a Puzzle Swap panel. There isn't some SSB puzzle I'm missing, right? It's probably coming later...?

Village

Leak.

tumblr_mob3vslyvG1r2u7p0o1_500.gif

180px-272Ludicolo.png

Top Bottom