• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

Roo

Todays picture

xJzFdBa.jpg

I really like DK's fur. Actually, I like this model more. It looks waaaayy more detailed and polished than the DK model from Mario Kart 8. Wonder if they'll fix it in time.
Here's a comparison.

igVkQZm6leWUD.jpg

DAT aliasing D:

Josh7289

It's a completely new game in the series, faster gameplay than Brawl, made by Namco so the online should be good, new characters, stages, etc.

Not to be rude, but was Brawl the first Smash Brothers you played?

Nah, I've played all three for hundreds of hours. Each one felt really fresh, but I'm not feeling it with SSB4 (obviously I haven't played it yet though). The art direction is nearly the same as Brawl, and the gameplay looks the same so far to me. The only changes I've seen are obvious ones, like some new characters.

RomanceDawn

Every DK in Smash looks a bit off to me. Melee looked great at the time but that was coming off of Donkey Kone. I wish he looked a little more like Dk Returns Dk.

SmithnCo

Nah, I've played all three for hundreds of hours. Each one felt really fresh, but I'm not feeling it with SSB4 (obviously I haven't played it yet though). The art direction is nearly the same as Brawl, and the gameplay looks the same so far to me. The only changes I've seen are obvious ones, like some new characters.

The gameplay looks noticeably faster to me, which is already a plus coming from Brawl. Really, if they can work with Namco to get working online this one will be worth it for me easily.

Gleethor

I don't know man, I really can't agree with you there.

NeonZ

I really like DK's fur. Actually, I like this model more. It looks waaaayy more detailed and polished than the DK model from Mario Kart 8. Wonder if they'll fix it in time.
Here's a comparison.

igVkQZm6leWUD.jpg

DAT aliasing D:

Well, Mario Kart has to handle a higher number of characters on screen than Smash, so I think it's natural that it doesn't look quite as good. The new model is actually much closer to Smash's than Mario Kart Wii's Donkey Kong was to Brawl's Donkey Kong though (or even Double Dash vs Melee).

Josh7289

The gameplay looks noticeably faster to me, which is already a plus coming from Brawl. Really, if they can work with Namco to get working online this one will be worth it for me easily.

Yeah, it looks a little faster, but the speed was never an issue for me. I also don't care about online. Smash is a game I like to play with friends in the same room.

I dunno.

Village

Exactly: don't. Village has shown time and again he's incapable of holding a meaningful argument about anything with anyone.

I was listening. Feel free to mindlessly assume things while not contributing anything to the meaningful to argument. Hey pot.

I don't even know how you got into this series if you feel that way lol. If all you care about is single player, why are you playing a fighting game? Smash Bros. has never been about having a deep storyl-

Wait, stop. Why do I bother? You won't listen anyway lol.

I got into the series because MP, I think the single player can do better. Also there are plenty of games you can call fighting games I play for the single player.

I don't think its worthless crap. With Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, Home Run Contest and Event Mode one could really take those short experiences and go for really high scores and such. There is a lot of worth in the usual single player smash modes compared to Subspace. Those and newer single player modes would be much better than a super long and boring story mode in my opinion.

Those things you just listed sound far more boring and repetitive than story. But to each their own.

ffdgh

Here's a comparison.

igVkQZm6leWUD.jpg

DAT aliasing D:

Fur would be great but I'm not complaining... At lease he...and others don't look like plastic.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Y'all might have discussed this to death, but since I'm just finding out today...

Sakurai's reason for ditching story mode is utter horseshit. It's true that SSE was retarded, but that was more the execution than anything else. The idea is still good and I'd like to see it properly developed.

Furthermore, SSE was like half of Brawl. What the hell is Sakurai gonna do to make up for it?

Berordn

Yeah, it looks a little faster, but the speed was never an issue for me. I also don't care about online. Smash is a game I like to play with friends in the same room.

I dunno.

When you get down to it, there wasn't much that changed from Melee to Brawl that we could actually see until we had out hands on the game. The artstyle was a simple evolution and the returning characters had very few changes. The only notable addition was the final smash, which ended up not even being that big a deal in the game proper.

All the actual changes in the game, like the floaty physics and tripping only became evident once we got our hands on it.

Smash Bros. sequels have thus far been about evolution, not innovation.

Roo

Well, Mario Kart has to handle a higher number of characters on screen than Smash, so I think it's natural that it doesn't look quite as good. The new model is actually much closer to Smash's than Mario Kart Wii's Donkey Kong was to Brawl's Donkey Kong though (or even Double Dash vs Melee).

Yeah, maybe you're right. It's not a bad thing tho. I like both models but Smash's DK is my favorite. Besides, EAD is working and figuring out all the HD work all by themselves whereas Sora is getting some help from Namco who somehow have previous experience with HD development.

georly

More features in MP hopefully. You spend a couple hours in SSE but it's the MP that people will put hundreds of hours into.

I agree. I'd really rather have all that extra manpower/time go into adding more characters, stages, modes, and online components than a singleplayer mode I haven't touched since 2008. 99% of my time in smash was spent in the vs mode, so i'm perfectly ok w/ more resources going there.

THAT SAID:

The 3DS version will be on my 3DS at all times and I won't always have other people to play with, so i'd like SOME sort of single player mode that feels like i'm accomplishing something (other than trophies), but a story mode w/ cutscenes doesn't have to be it.

Josh7289

When you get down to it, there wasn't much that changed from Melee to Brawl that we could actually see until we had out hands on the game. The artstyle was a simple evolution and the returning characters had very few changes. The only notable addition was the final smash, which ended up not even being that big a deal in the game proper.

All the actual changes in the game, like the floaty physics and tripping only became evident once we got our hands on it.

Smash Bros. sequels have thus far been about evolution, not innovation.

Single player was a lot better, there was a lot more junk to collect, you could create your own stages, and as you said Final Smash was added. I don't see anything new for SSB4 on the same scale as these additions so far, and they've actually removed the story mode. =/

Caladrius

Single player was a lot better, there was a lot more junk to collect, you could create your own stages, and as you said Final Smash was added. I don't see anything new for SSB4 on the same scale as these additions so far, and they've actually removed the story mode. =/

The game was just announced and is still over a year away. I would give it more time before passing any judgement on it.

So what could they do new to the single-player mode that would satisfy more people? There wont be cutscenes, but are people against the idea of a long campaing entirely?

Berordn

We didn't know about *any* of that until much, much, MUCH later. We've only been getting information on SSB4 for a month.

And there's still going to be solo modes, just no SSE.

Josh7289

The game was just announced and is still over a year away. I would give it more time before passing any judgement on it.

Yeah, I plan to. It just hasn't done much of anything for me yet, and I was looking to see if I was alone here with that sentiment or not. I guess I am, but this is a thread dedicated to the game, after all.

Village

We didn't know about *any* of that until much, much, MUCH later. We've only been getting information on SSB4 for a month.

And there's still going to be solo modes, just no SSE.

That isn't going to be enough for some. I would assume that is where all the complaining is coming from.

More features in MP hopefully. You spend a couple hours in SSE but it's the MP that people will put hundreds of hours into.

That all depends on who you are talking to.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in vastly preferring Melee's Adventure Mode. Every time this discussion's come up in the past, I'm pretty much the only one defending it.

Exactly: don't. Village has shown time and again he's incapable of holding a meaningful argument about anything with anyone.

..and Revven's lol-peppered dismissive response just was so meaningful! You know, if you have something bad to say about Village, you could say it directly to him directly instead of being such an asshole about it.
I'd like to see you get away with putting down other forum members that way at Sonic Retro.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just got a screaming deal on a 3ds XL for this game.

I hope they do a cross-buy type program where you get the 3ds version free or discounted if you purchase the Wii U version.

Berordn

That isn't going to be enough for some. I would assume that is where all the complaining is coming from.

Except we don't know if it'll be like SSE but not eight hours long or equally crossover crazy or what. We might get a spiritual successor to SSE which covers most of its flaws, it still wouldn't be SSE.

We just don't know yet.

qq more

..and Revven's lol-peppered dismissive response just was so meaningful! You know, if you have something bad to say about Village, you could say it directly to him directly instead of being such an asshole about it.
I'd like to see you get away with putting down other forum members that way at Sonic Retro.

lol

If only I could use the Wii Wheel for this game.

Regarding single player junk, I hope they expand on event matches. Those were always my favorite, and I feel like they can do so much with it. Also give me another event match with legendary Pokemon only like in Melee.

I was listening. Feel free to mindlessly assume things while not contributing anything to the meaningful to argument. Hey pot.
There's no assumption here; this is basically what I see being tossed around on a daily basis behind your back. I'm just saying it right in front of you, instead.

I'd probably be doing you a better service spelling out what, exactly, people take issue with, but unfortunately I'm not 100% on the specifics. Generally it's things like ignoring entire arguments (you dismissed practically all of Revven's post with a mere "I disagree" and nothing more, for instance), changing the subject to what you want to argue when the other side has no interest in doing so (in an earlier argument with me over Adventure Mode vs. SSE, you kept trying to change the discussion into "what's got better character interaction?" when I was trying to discuss what was more fun to play mechanically), extending an argument well beyond when anyone else is willing to keep going, et cetera.

Is this insulting? Well... yes, it almost certainly is, and so I apologize for not bringing this to your attention with a lot more tact. Nevertheless, I figured you might want to know about it, because it's not just me who's been taking issue.

A) Just did. Was writing this up the same time you chipped in.
B) People get put down at Sonic Retro all the damn time. They're not exactly what I'd call a shining beacon of civility. Very bad choice of example on your part.

1upmuffin

There was a bunch added but the gameplay was worse so a lot of that extra stuff ended up not mattering. Smash 4 is supposed to take the best elements of Brawl like the character roster, and remove the bad elements like tripping and floatiness.

There will still be single player modes and I'm guessing there will be more than just classic and all stars mode. They would not just remove something like a SSE without giving the fans something back. Nintendo is trying to please as many Smash fans with this entry as it can, not just casual (Brawl) or competitive (Melee).

Also, a lot of Namco fighters have had quite interesting single player modes, so maybe their imput would be very helpful. Tekken Force in Tekken 3 and Tekken 4 in particular were quite enjoyable.

Here's a comparison.

igVkQZm6leWUD.jpg

DAT aliasing D:

Shorter, more matted down fur that's a lighter shade of brown =/= less detailed or polished. And even though Smash's use of AA does make a big difference when it comes to screenshots, Mario Kart 8 looks so good in motion its barely noticeable.

Every DK in Smash looks a bit off to me. Melee looked great at the time but that was coming off of Donkey Kone. I wish he looked a little more like Dk Returns Dk.

Donkey Kone?

So the Wiimote won't get in the way?

Wavebird is amazing, I recently bought one so I don't see the problem with this.
The Wiimote probably has a miniscule amount of input lag, as is inherent with wireless devices. The Wavebird similarly probably has some. A Wavebird through a Wiimote has both amounts of input lag stacked against one another.

1upmuffin

So the Wiimote won't get in the way?

Wavebird is amazing, I recently bought one so I don't see the problem with this.

The problem would be the lag from the Wiimote, which on it's own isn't too noticable, mixed with the Wavebird lag, which again, on its own wouldn't be too noticeable, added together would likely create noticeable controller lag.

Also don't both of those require batteries? I hope you have rechargeables if you plan on this setup.

georly

We have no idea how much single player content is in the game. It could be way more than what brawl had, it just doesn't sound like it'll be cutscene-based, story-driven single player.

B) People get put down at Sonic Retro all the damn time. They're not exactly what I'd call a shining beacon of civility. Very bad choice of example on your part.

lol no. Unless you're talking about Ken Penders, who is obviously not a member there. I've lurked there for years and the mods are pretty good at putting their foot down at even a hint of personal attacks between members. As far as shining beacons of civility go NeoGAF is practically GameFAQs compared to Sonic Retro.

TreIII

So what could they do new to the single-player mode that would satisfy more people? There wont be cutscenes, but are people against the idea of a long campaing entirely?

It depends on how it was done.

An arcade-y style beat em up that married the best aspects of KSS (and less of the things that dragged SSE down), would be okay. But honestly, I would rather they focus more on things that worked better well in the concept of what the game is all about.

In other words, I'm talking the kind of "RPG-lite" modes that made Mario Tennis and Mario Golf's GBC ports as legendary and outright addicting as they were. If this isn't already what Sakurai had in mind for the 3DS version, I'll honestly be disappointed. It's the main way I could see the whole "customization" angle working out well, and really making the 3DS version stand apart from its console counterpart.

As for the Wii U version? Mission Mode/Event Match is one of the modes that I continually came back to in Melee and Brawl, if only because the idea of coming back to see if you can beat your best times and trying different strategies with different characters was actually a pretty fun means that helped enlighten you on various aspects of the game itself. If anything, I would rather they focus more on making Mission Mode the main mode of that version of the game.

lol no. I've lurked there for years and the mods are pretty good at putting their foot down at even a hint of personal squabbling. As far as shining beacons of civility go NeoGAF is practically GameFAQs compared to Sonic Retro.
Yes, your experience from years of lurking there is clearly better than my experience from years of posting there.

Top Bottom