• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

1upmuffin

Hey everyone, thought now would be a good time to remind everyone about the SmashGAF irc channel. We talk about Smash and sometimes other stuff as well. It hasn't been very active lately but more people should join.

The server is irc.rizon.net and the channel is #smashgaf

qq more

lol no. Unless you're talking about Ken Penders, who is obviously not a member there. I've lurked there for years and the mods are pretty good at putting their foot down at even a hint of personal attacks between members. As far as shining beacons of civility go NeoGAF is practically GameFAQs compared to Sonic Retro.

Thanks for the laugh

Firehead

Hey everyone, thought now would be a good time to remind everyone about the SmashGAF irc channel. We talk about Smash and sometimes other stuff as well. It hasn't been very active lately but more people should join.

The server is irc.rizon.net and the channel is #smashgaf

Sweet, will join it. :D

Yes, your experience from years of lurking there is clearly better than my experience from years of posting there.

Because as we all know, reading most of the posts on the forum yields a poor understanding when compared to making some of the posts on the forum.
Since I only read the content of the forum I am in no position to judge the content of the forum...gotcha.

Because as we all know, reading most of the posts on the forum yields a poor understanding when compared to making some of the posts on the forum.
Since I only read the content of the forum I am in no position to judge the content of the forum...gotcha.

Because as we all know, making some of the posts on a forum means that you obviously don't read as many posts as a lurker.

...Gotcha.

How many people are planning on getting the gamecube controller adapter to play this?

wavebird.jpg

A wireless device connected to a wireless device connected to a Wii U.

Um, I think I'll just wait for someone to make a USB adapter for the GC controller. Or use the Pro controller.

RomanceDawn

Those things you just listed sound far more boring and repetitive than story. But to each their own.

I think the difference is that Smash at its core is a competitive game. The things I mentioned are repetitive but in an addictive sense. You are always trying to better your score with your best character and constantly compare it too your peers. Where the story modes are concerned there really is no incentive to keep trying it over and over aside from trophies.

Not trying to discuss tourney competetive smash here.

Well, considering those without accounts can't view a good chunk of the boards, because they're hidden to non-members, there's actually some truth to it. And most of the shit happens in those forums - Member's Lounge, in particular, goes down the tubes often, especially when politics get involved.

But I was more getting at how you seemed to be implying you know more than me because you lurked there, when I've been posting there since 2006 and know the place quite well, thank you very much. Hell, rule 6 explicitly allows flaming, discouraged though it is.

Either way, we're getting really sidetracked here. This is the Smash thread, not the "let's discuss Sonic Retro" thread. It's bad enough that I brought up my grievances with Village (which really could've been done more tactfully). I don't need to drag this thread further through the mud.

I feel like I'm one of the rare people that liked SSE. I don't know has someone said it here before (I don't feel like checking every page), so can someone tell me what people don't like about it.
SSE was liked by several people, I've found.

I'm not particularly one of them, but you don't need to feel alone in this regard.

NeonZ

So what could they do new to the single-player mode that would satisfy more people? There wont be cutscenes, but are people against the idea of a long campaing entirely?

I've said this several times - but I really think they should have gone for multiple smaller campaigns. In the end, it'd be kind of similar, I guess, but I think breaking it up like that would have helped the pacing and also incentive variety while designing them.

Even taking Brawl as it is, make the maze a separate mode from Subspace Emissary proper, rather than a huge stage tacked on right before the final battle with very different pacing from the rest of the mode, and I'm sure opinions about both the labyrinth itself and subspace emissary's pacing would improve.

Edit: A general design decision that likely could have made the mode much more enjoyable would be to cut the times where the screen "locks" and the player has to face a certain amount of enemies before advancing. There are some areas where the player is thrown in an area and ahs to face enemies, and those could stay, but all the times that the screen locks and only moves again after the player has cleared the area is one of the SSE's cheapest and most recycled design elements.

qq more

I feel like I'm one of the rare people that liked SSE. I don't know has someone said it here before (I don't feel like checking every page), so can someone tell me what people don't like about it.

I felt the levels were either too long, boring and/or repetitive. They were rarely exciting and were just really generic. That's my major issue with it. Also, I feel the environments looked too realistic and boring.

Another thing was that dumb maze at the end... it was senseless padding.

I've tried that. It doesn't work.

Then, as long as he isn't attacking other members and purposely trying to start something, if anyone doesn't like what he posts they can just ignore list him or otherwise dealwithit.gif I came here to read about Smash Bros., not people's criticism of Villager's argumentative style or lack thereof.

RomanceDawn

Donkey Kone?

Remember the original Smash? DK's curl was just a cone on top of his head, thus Donkey Kone.

Also I just want people to be clear, while there is no story mode Sakurai did say there will be special CGI movies but unlocked from the get go.

I love the GameCube controller and still have a relatively fresh white one I used for my final years on Brawl. Still, I think its time to let it go. The Pro controller feels great and has super duper battery life.

And yet you bothered replying to Shadowhog and Lightning Lord

lol

lol Because I'm sick of seeing particular members getting called out for doing absolutely nothing wrong? lol lol lol lol

Remember the original Smash? DK's curl was just a cone on top of his head, thus Donkey Kone.

Also I just want people to be clear, while there is no story mode Sakurai did say there will be special CGI movies but unlocked from the get go.

I love the GameCube controller and still have a relatively fresh white one I used for my final years on Brawl. Still, I think its time to let it go. The Pro controller feels great and has super duper battery life.

Ah, OK. Yeah, I always hated the way they screwed up his head in the original game.

1upmuffin

lol Because I'm sick of seeing particular members getting called out for doing absolutely nothing wrong? lol lol lol lol

1. There's no reason to say "lol" in a post 4 times.
2. Village was doing something wrong, he responded to lengthy arguments by saying "I disagree.", and not saying why he disagreed.

Disagreeing with people is fine if you have reasons why you are disagreeing, not just entirely dismissing someones opinion.

ffdgh

I refuse to let the gcn controller go. If Nintendo makes a special one for smash 4, I'll use it for every other wii u game if compatible.

kpeezy

Banned
How many people are planning on getting the gamecube controller adapter to play this?

wavebird.jpg

Lol guys, it's just a random picture I found on the internet. You can take out the wavebird receiver and plug in a standard controller.

how about now

images

of course not... I will use the superior Pro Controller.
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2012/06/Wii-U-Pro-Controller1.jpg

there, I said it... Pro controller > Wavebird

come at me bros.

Pro controller analog sticks are too tall, same as the Wii classic controller.

1. There's no reason to say "lol" in a post 4 times.

There is if you're mocking someone's insufferable tendency to do it every post.

2. Village was doing something wrong, he responded to lengthy arguments by saying "I disagree.", and not saying why he disagreed.

I disagree. I can't say why I disagree with that particular notion because at its most basic level I disagree with that notion. You can just say you disagree with someone without wanting to extend the argument. At any rate its much nicer than saying "there's no point in arguing with you lol".

I also liked it. I wouldn't mind a full game out of it one day. Fix it up a little bit and make it more platformy than smash and I'd have a nice little Nintendo mashup platformer.

1upmuffin

I refuse to let the gcn controller go. If Nintendo makes a special one for smash 4, I'll use it for every other wii u game if compatible.

I'd buy 4 immediately.

Oh, I just realized something, how are shields gonna work now that there are no analog triggers on Wii U? In Melee or Brawl you could choose your shield strength by how hard you held down a trigger. This isn't a huge feature lost but still...

qq more

I'd buy 4 immediately.

Oh, I just realized something, how are shields gonna work now that there are no analog triggers on Wii U? In Melee or Brawl you could choose your shield strength by how hard you held down a trigger. This isn't a huge feature lost but still...

It absolutely baffles me that Nintendo got rid of analog triggers. Can't wait to see how they can implement the GameCube VC since certain games uses analog triggers like Mario Sunshine.

CorvoSol

I felt the levels were either too long, boring and/or repetitive. They were rarely exciting and were just really generic. That's my major issue with it. Also, I feel the environments looked too realistic and boring.

Another thing was that dumb maze at the end... it was senseless padding.

I see what you mean, but I think my only real complaint with SSE was the lack of Nintendo enemies to fight. The SSA was okay, but I liked Melee's Adventure mode letting me fight Like Likes, too. It'd've been better if it had taken me through more Nintendo themed areas and against more Nintendo themed monsters. The first level of Adventure mode was good like that.

It still gave me a super sweet remix of Bramble Scramble, though.

I'd buy 4 immediately.

This is literally all you need if you already own a GCN controller:

OgpWF9G.jpg

qq more

I see what you mean, but I think my only real complaint with SSE was the lack of Nintendo enemies to fight. The SSA was okay, but I liked Melee's Adventure mode letting me fight Like Likes, too. It'd've been better if it had taken me through more Nintendo themed areas and against more Nintendo themed monsters. The first level of Adventure mode was good like that.

It still gave me a super sweet remix of Bramble Scramble, though.

Yeah I think making it Nintendo themed would make it a lot more exciting. Nintendo themed stages would offer more variety to keep things fresh. But instead they thought it was a good idea to go with generic forest, generic caves, generic ruins, generic factory which doesn't offer... very much.

what? is that a thing?
Not really but this does kind of hurt the chances of it happening though...

I'm pretty sure Brawl already dealt with it by eliminating variable shield strength, outside of using Z instead of R. At any rate, I don't recall variable shield strength being in the game.

Ryce

Sakurai clearly enjoys designing new characters. With established fighting game characters, though, he'd just be repurposing other people's efforts into the Smash Bros. formula. That's boring.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hey has this been posted?

http://nintendoeverything.com/why-sakurai-isnt-keen-on-adding-fighting-characters-to-smash-bros/

Sakurai doesn't like the idea of fighting game characters in Smash.
But Mega Man was in plenty of fighting games! Power Battles, Power Fighters, Marvel Vs. Capcom, and MvC2!!

All seriousness, I get where he's coming from. It's kind of the reason why I'm not wanting someone from, say, Tekken or Soul Calibur as Namco's guest character (should they get one). You know how they're gonna act based on those games and expect them to stick to that. With SSB, characters can take tons of liberties. In fact, when companies do crossover fighters (like whoever Vs. Capcom), I tend to like it when someone who isn't normally from a fighting game (or hasn't appeared in one for quite some time) makes it in because I get to play as a character that can't be used in other fighting games and it shows the creative side of the company.

Ryce

Sakurai doesn't like a lot of things. Doesn't mean he makes good decisions.
You can't really call that a bad decision, though. It's not like there are any fighting game characters important enough to be the sole representative of a third-party company. Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man fit Smash Bros. better than Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, and Tekken.

Platy

Hey has this been posted?

http://nintendoeverything.com/why-sakurai-isnt-keen-on-adding-fighting-characters-to-smash-bros/

Sakurai doesn't like the idea of fighting game characters in Smash.

Bad reason for a good thing.

The only 3rd party fighting game character that belongs to smash is Ryu and we already have Mario xD
Get the Tekken and Soul Calibur away from my videogame classics =P

The problem is that it may lead to "no Little Mac" and that is sad =(
..and no that pink vectorman like from the nes fighting game, but I can survive with that =P

qq more

Bad reason for a good thing.

The only 3rd party fighting game character that belongs to smash is Ryu and we already have Mario xD
Get the Tekken and Soul Calibur away from my videogame classics =P

The problem is that it may lead to "no Little Mac" and that is sad =(
..and no that pink vectorman like from the nes fighting game, but I can survive with that =P

I'm pretty sure Sakurai is talking about traditional fighters which excludes Punch-Out.

Top Bottom