• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

NeonZ

Hey has this been posted?

http://nintendoeverything.com/why-sakurai-isnt-keen-on-adding-fighting-characters-to-smash-bros/

Sakurai doesn't like the idea of fighting game characters in Smash.

Isn't it just the title of the article being misleading?

“The biggest feature we look at in Smash Bros. is, ‘What does this character bring to Smash Bros. that other characters don’t?’ If you look at… someone from a fighting game already, and people like fighting with this character, from my point of view, it’s like ‘this guy does what this guy already does. He fills the role that this character already has. So while you may like this character and he’s interesting, that doesn’t really merge well, here.”

It seems more like he's just saying that he doesn't want to add new characters that would be similar to older ones. I don't think that's specifically referencing fighting games, it seems more like just an example.

Degen

So he essentially doesn't want to add fighting game characters because it would make too much sense

I respect the choice but that is the weirdest explanation

Village

Driving home is hard anyways lets get to it.

I think the difference is that Smash at its core is a competitive game. The things I mentioned are repetitive but in an addictive sense. You are always trying to better your score with your best character and constantly compare it too your peers. Where the story modes are concerned there really is no incentive to keep trying it over and over aside from trophies.

Not trying to discuss tourney competetive smash here.
I disagree both things can be addictive in nature, you just have to incentivise it in the right way.

As for tourney smash , yeah good idea.

We have no idea how much single player content is in the game. It could be way more than what brawl had, it just doesn't sound like it'll be cutscene-based, story-driven single player.

That doesn't leave for much else really. But I dunno maybe its some avante garde SP content. It sounds like more boring nothing crap. But hey time wil tell

There's no assumption here; this is basically what I see being tossed around on a daily basis behind your back. I'm just saying it right in front of you, instead.

I'd probably be doing you a better service spelling out what, exactly, people take issue with, but unfortunately I'm not 100% on the specifics. Generally it's things like ignoring entire arguments (you dismissed practically all of Revven's post with a mere "I disagree" and nothing more, for instance), changing the subject to what you want to argue when the other side has no interest in doing so (in an earlier argument with me over Adventure Mode vs. SSE, you kept trying to change the discussion into "what's got better character interaction?" when I was trying to discuss what was more fun to play mechanically), extending an argument well beyond when anyone else is willing to keep going, et cetera.

Wat?

of course not... I will use the superior Pro Controller.
Wii-U-Pro-Controller1.jpg

there, I said it... Pro controller > Wavebird

come at me bros.

I agree with you that overall the Pro Controller is the better pad, BUT the Wavebird (and its wired equivalent) were made for Smash Bros games. The nice big A for Smash attacks, the tiny B for special attacks and the lima bean X and Y for jumping. Also the unassuming right stick for quick smash attacks was really nice too. Granted, the button layout of the GCN controller made for awkward play in a lot of genres, but in Smash Bros., it was king.

I won't go as far as trying to pair it with the Wii U though. It'd be far easier for me to adjust to the Pro Controller, but I really like it, so it won't be that big of an issue.

Ryce

Isn't it just the title of the article being misleading?

It seems more like he's just saying that he doesn't want to add new characters that would be similar to older ones. I don't think that's specifically referencing fighting games, it seems more like just an example.
I just read the article, and you're right. He doesn't say anything about not wanting to include fighting game characters. It's an awkward translation, though.

You can't really call that a bad decision, though. It's not like there are any fighting game characters important enough to be the sole representative of a third-party company. Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man fit Smash Bros. better than Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, and Tekken.

I would disagree with Mega Man being "bigger" than Street Fighter, especially in the past decade.

Village

I said it would include cutscences like injustice..what is the problem?

That is what I am trying to figure out. All I suggested was cutscenes and a new set up similar to Milky way simulator to Kirby super star to set up the story, and I would guess act as a world map. Just the same thing as SSE but written better and the map is from space. I am confuse

That is what I am trying to figure out. All I suggested was cutscenes and a new set up similar to Milky way simulator to Kirby super star to set up the story, and I would guess act as a world map. Just the same thing as SSE but written better and the map is from space. I am confuse
I like the cutscenes, I dont like the gameplay. Sakurai said they will be making those new videos for each newcomer so im fine with that.

RomanceDawn

Bad reason for a good thing.

The only 3rd party fighting game character that belongs to smash is Ryu and we already have Mario xD
Get the Tekken and Soul Calibur away from my videogame classics =P

The problem is that it may lead to "no Little Mac" and that is sad =(
..and no that pink vectorman like from the nes fighting game, but I can survive with that =P

Crap! You just made me remember Sakupon or Skapon, the pink Vector Man would be so awesome. You know Sakurai considered him for Melee. I'd like to think that not having any games for such a long time would exclude him from that reasoning. Little Mac I am certain will be in the game.

TreIII

Crap! You just made me remember Sakupon or Skapon, the pink Vector Man would be so awesome. You know Sakurai considered him for Melee. I'd like to think that not having any games for such a long time would exclude him from that reasoning. Little Mac I am certain will be in the game.

On the other hand, Sakurai may still be prone to pull out at least one more good "WTF/Retrotastic" pick. Skapon would certainly fit the bill.

Platy

I would disagree with Mega Man being "bigger" than Street Fighter, especially in the past decade.

The problem is not bigger. Is how important to Videogame classic history.

Ghost from Call of Duty is bigger than 90% of the smash cast, but Megaman was super important in the early days of gaming, so he wins.

Being an important part to game history is basicaly the ONLY reason a character is included in smash, SPECIALY third party characters, simple as that.

Ryu is a close second to Mega Man because he praticaly created fighting games....next to the other 6 playable characters from Street Fighter 2 =P

I would love to see the meltdowns if they announce Sakupon xD

Village

The problem is not bigger. Is how important to Videogame classic history.

Ghost from Call of Duty is bigger than 90% of the smash cast, but Megaman was super important in the early days of gaming, so he wins.

Being an important part to game history is basicaly the ONLY reason a character is included in smash, SPECIALY third party characters, simple as that.

Ryu is a close second to Mega Man because he praticaly created fighting games....next to the other 6 playable characters from Street Fighter 2 =P

I would love to see the meltdowns if they announce Sakupon xD

I have seen heated debates to what megaman actually contributed to game design, i can find a few people that ryu has done a bit more for video game history than megaman.

Anth0ny

Lol guys, it's just a random picture I found on the internet. You can take out the wavebird receiver and plug in a standard controller.

how about now

images

Pro controller analog sticks are too tall, same as the Wii classic controller.

How many people are planning on getting the gamecube controller adapter to play this?

wavebird.jpg

So beautiful. Can't wait to play Smash 4 with my GC controller ^_^

jwj442

I'm going to repost what I wrote in another topic about single player modes.
Brawl's single player is not better than Melee's. Okay, I'll give it Subspace Emissary over Adventure (though even that's debatable - Adventure is more replayable and has arguably better fanservice). But while Brawl has more content, almost every mode that's in both games is better in Melee. And why are people acting like Melee was bare-bones on content? On its release it was praised for the plethora of different modes and things to do. Yes, it's multiplayer first, but there's more single player than most fighting games.

In Melee, the character lineups for Classic and All-star were random. You would fight characters in a different order every time, which gave it replay value. You have a mostly-fixed character/stage order for Classic - you'll fight a Zelda character for the first match every single time, while in Melee you might not fight one at all. The type of battle (team, giant, single, etc.) is randomized in Brawl, but it's still not as good as a different order of characters every time. It makes it less fun to replay. Reverting back to a fixed character order like Smash 64 (which Melee was praised for fixing) was a bad idea.

All-star's order is even more rigid, and the difficulty progression from Melee (from solo to doubles to triple opponents) is gutted. Both classic and all-star also lack the scoring system - earning little achievement-type bonuses was fun and a feature of Smash since 64.

Break the Targets is completely ruined with five bland stages instead of one tailored for each character. Home-run contest fares somewhat better, but the addition of the shield around the platform takes away from its uniqueness and challenge.

Multi-man Melee - Okay, this is pretty much the same in both games.

Trophies - Brawl has more. But Melee has a better selection. Brawl's are heavily weighted toward recent games and have way too many bland Subspace villains that are tedious to get. And Melee's are more fun to earn, really one of the best "achievement" systems ever. I enjoyed getting them in Melee, while in Brawl I got bored long before. Beating Adventure with every character could get old in Melee, but Brawl has a lot of tedious trophies that are worse than that, especially since a lot of the single player modes are worse than Melee. I would prefer them not to do trophies in Smash 4 unless they can think of a way to make them really fresh and different.

Brawl does have boss rush, but it's not really that great. The game's mechanics aren't designed for these types of bosses. Master Hand was fun, but fighting a bunch of Master-Hand type enemies in a row gets old.

Events are better in Melee. Admittedly, I didn't play the co-op ones in Brawl. But Melee's are more creative and change up the rules more often.

I say that I'll give Brawl SSE over Adventure, but I'm not even sure it's actually better - I'm just willing to grant it for the sake of argument. I did forget coin launcher in Brawl, but that's a very minor bonus.

By the way, you did not have to beat Adventure or even Classic 24 times to unlock Game and Watch. You only have to clear Target Test with everyone. And you didn't have to beat Classic with every character for Marth, only use every character in Vs. Mode (you can do this very quickly even with no other players).

Village

I could find any character boring if you want to argue semantics.

I was talking about the moves and cross overs thing. I do find OG megaman boring though.

He is in a bunch of cross overs with simular moves.
Yes.

Seriously? The character who has a ton of robot master's moves to draw from is as boring as the guy who uses hadouken and the same range of other moves in every appearance?

I am just saying , he like ryu or at least versions of himself have been in cross overs with similar moves.

Not saying its a good or a bad thing, just saying that isn't something you can hold against just ryu.

Roo

Bad reason for a good thing.

The only 3rd party fighting game character that belongs to smash is Ryu and we already have Mario xD
Get the Tekken and Soul Calibur away from my videogame classics =P

The problem is that it may lead to "no Little Mac" and that is sad =(
..and no that pink vectorman like from the nes fighting game, but I can survive with that =P

Do you mean that Capcom whore that appears in every single fighting game?
No thanks.

Gartooth

Yes.

What? The only crossover that I can think of that has classic Mega Man is Marvel vs Capcom 1 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 where he had a moveset that's nothing at all like the one in Smash, let alone much like the moves from his game.

If your talking the Mega Man character in general with all the various incarnations, know that I believe the only other Mega Man to get in a fighting game besides classic, was Mega Man Volnutt in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and again his set of abilities are completely different. (for example he focuses on using different "arms" rather than robot master powers)

I was talking about the moves and cross overs thing. I do find OG megaman boring though.

Yes.

Oh right, I remember Mega Man in Capcom Fighting Jam, all of Capcom vs SNK and specially how his moveset in Street Fighter X Tekken is the same as Marvel vs Capcom and Smash Bros.

Village

What? The only crossover that I can think of that has classic Mega Man is MvC1 and MvC2 where he had a moveset that's nothing at all like the one in Smash, let alone much like the moves from his game.

I was talking about megamen. But your point is valid.

However there only so many ways you can do ," transforms into something and shoots things from his hands"

Oh right, I remember Mega Man in Capcom Fighting Jam, all of Capcom vs SNK and specially how his moveset in Street Fighter X Tekken is the same as Marvel vs Capcom and Smash Bros.

Aside from that x whatever thing you speak of that didn't happen. He shoots things from his hands and transforms into other stuff. Or in smash's cases just uses it ( why doesn't he change color ).

SmithnCo

I am just saying , he like ryu or at least versions of himself have been in cross overs with similar moves.

Sure. But not to the extent of Ryu. He isn't as tired as Ryu is. Hell, OG Mega Man wasn't even in UMVC3 or Project X Zone. And his moves aren't set in stone like Ryu's are.

Ryu is in every Capcom crossover so to see him in Smash would be really boring at this point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It should get released the same day/month Brawl got released but it's getting held til holiday 2014 :/ Smh
The same Brawl that got delayed six hundred and seventy two times?

Rather they have a release date that is ages away that they'll meet rather than going through what we did with Brawl again.

Village

Sure. But not to the extent of Ryu. He isn't as tired as Ryu is. Hell, OG Mega Man wasn't even in UMVC3 or Project X Zone. And his moves aren't set in stone like Ryu's are.

Ryu is in every Capcom crossover so to see him in Smash would be really boring at this point.

Oh goodness no I actually agree with you.

I want Megaman in smash. I was just saying that argument isn't exactly something you can hold against just ryu.

To you, I guess. I would love to see Ryu in it, but different tastes, etc. I get everyone's point, despite me disagreeing.
There were EIGHT World Warriors, including Ryu!

Anth0ny

Ryu deserves a spot. People forget how important SFII was to the SNES. It was one of the top 5 best selling games on the console if I recall correctly.

Ryce

Ryu would be at the very top of my list if I was forced to pick a second Capcom guest, but Mega Man will always be #1.

SmithnCo

Eh, I still kinda hold it against Ryu. I've reached oversaturation with him, his design and moves are the total vanilla of fighting games to me. So for that I'm glad Sakurai isn't really considering fighting game characters, not that there are many seriously eligible candidates anyway.

Gartooth

I was talking about megamen.
Aside from that x whatever thing you speak of that didn't happen. He shoots things from his hands and transforms into other stuff. Or in smash's cases just uses it ( why doesn't he change color ).

Your underselling the character, if you add up all his different abilities from all the various Mega Man games and try to turn him into a fighting game character I can assure you he would have more moveset potential than 90% of the current characters in Smash Bros., especially when you factor in each different "Mega Man" character. (and only classic and X have some ability overlap, the others are far far different)

TrueBlue

I'd be fine with Ryu. I always envisaged his B-specials being influenced by the light/heavy attacks of Street Fighter, with the longer you hold the button and the direction, the more powerful the attack would be. Of course, this would also leave Ryu vulnerable for longer.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm pretty sure Sakurai is talking about traditional fighters which excludes Punch-Out.
Yeah, Punch-Out is more puzzle game than fighting game.

The more important news is that with Tekken out of the picture the chance for the iDOLM@STER to be the Namco rep increased six hundred fold.

Rhapsody

Banned
How many people are planning on getting the gamecube controller adapter to play this?

Me? I dunno. For one, I have no idea if that converter lags or not. Also I have no clue which controller I will end up using. Guess I'll just try whatever out and get used to it.

Top Bottom