• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 2: Where Pilotwings is apparently Minecraft

Ryce

Ike and Ness exclusive to Wii U and Chrom and Lucas exclusive to 3DS. God, that would be awful. Imagine the meltdowns.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm super sure if Smash is mentioned in the Direct it will be an update on things we already know like Olimar being in the game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Didn't we get a bunch of screenshots of the Pikmin stage when it was confirmed? Perhaps the same will be done with the Pilotwings stage for this week, revealing just a little bit more of the stage each time?

Kouichi

I would love a Majora's Mask rep.

Ether Skull Kid or Masked Link would be so sick. If only an MM remake came out earlier, then their chances would be possible :(

qq more

I'd imagine having version exclusive characters would only complicate rhings (at least development wise). Sakurai has already said adding characters is stressful enough... so I doubt he'd want another layer of stress lol

Ugh, im not liking the majority of the news in the articles section in the OP, every time I read one of those the 3DS version looks like something that was better not done.

Ether Skull Kid or Masked Link would be so sick. If only an MM remake came out earlier, then their chances would be possible :(

That would be amazing :(

Clearly to make up for the fact that skull kid and masked link won't be in smash ever we need soulcalibur x legend of zelda. and not just a single character this time. a proper crossover.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Apart from their design the Zelda characters are more of a general Zelda rep than a specific game rep. Don't see why Majora's Mask would suddenly get the special treatment.

Frolow

Banned
So, will characters like Olimar, who have never made appearances on handhelds still be in the 3DS version?

Yes, the roster is shared between the games. The stage selection is completely different though, with the 3DS version having stages from handheld games and the Wii U version having stages from console games.

Kouichi

Apart from their design the Zelda characters are more of a general Zelda rep than a specific game rep. Don't see why Majora's Mask would suddenly get the special treatment.

Yeah, that what I meant. I just want a character specifically from Majoras Mask as a new Zelda character.

Sorry for the confusion.

TheOGB

Banned
Let's comrpomise here.

Fierce Deity alt for Link.

Bert409

I'd rather have a second Ganon than a second Link...

tumblr_mocz350xIL1rth7ajo1_500.gif

VideogamePigsTheLegendofZelda-620x.jpg

-PXG-

Spirit Tracks Link is a completely different person than Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link.

Sure, in the Zelda universe and lore it's a different Link, but visually he is the same as WW Link.

Why is Olimar in this game then? Why not the new characters from Pikmin 3? Why even bother putting Lucas in Brawl when the game he was in, has yet to come to the US, still?

OoT Young Link has been done. Toon/WW Link has been done. Adult Link has been represented by OoT, TP and now (kind a sorta...more of a hybrid really) SS Adult Links. Unless they do something REALLY weird, like "Paper" Link or the 2D Link from A Link Between Worlds, it would only make sense, at least to me, to do MM Link. There have been a ton of rumors and speculation about a possible Majora's Mask remake. What better way to tease it and create some fan service than to have the second Link in Smash 4 to be none other than MM Link? It just makes sense and would be a great marketing opportunity. Plus, he would just be fun to play with in the game. It's not something you would expect with seemingly safe and straight forward character.

I could see Skull Kid being an assist trophy. He could summon the moon, have it crash down on the stage, dealing massive damage to everyone. Something like that.

NeonZ

OoT Young Link has been done. Toon/WW Link has been done. Adult Link has been represented by with OoT, TP and now (kind a sorta) SS Link. Unless they do something REALLY weird, like Paper Link or the 2D link from a new 3DS Zelda, it would only make sense, at least to me, to do MM Link. There have been a ton of rumors and speculation about a possible Majora's Mask remake. What better way to tease it and create some fan service than to have the second link in Smash 4 to be none other than MM Link? It just makes sense and would be a great marketing opprutinity. Plus, he would just be fun to play with in the game. It's not something you would expect with seemingly safe and straight forward character.

You do realize that you're actually asking for four characters, right? Maybe Five if Fierce Deity is supposed to have a full moveset too.Just because they'd be all wrapped up in a single box, it doesn't magically make them any easier to add. What you want is four characters based on a single (old) game of a big franchise. The only thing comparable is the Pokemon Trainer, but that's three characters, Pokemon is bigger than Zelda, and he's based on the first and most iconic game of the franchise, not one of its lowest selling entries.

Personally, if we were to get 4 new Zelda characters, I'd rather get various one shot characters from multiple games. Ghiharim or Demise, Vaati, Tetra... rather than MM Link with his transformations.

No offense, but why are people still so fixated on Majora's Mask characters? That game had it's time during Melee.

Also, despite my Pilotwings experience being limited to Pilotwings Resort (which I liked), I'm excited to see the SNES version get some representation. Just nabbed a copy off eBay for eight bucks.

-PXG-

You do realize that you're actually asking for four characters, right? Maybe Five if Fierce Deity is supposed to have a full moveset too.Just because they'd be all wrapped up in a single box, it doesn't magically make them any easier to add. What you want is four characters based on a single (old) game of a big franchise. The only thing comparable is the Pokemon Trainer, but that's three characters, Pokemon is bigger than Zelda, and he's based on the first and most iconic game of the franchise, not one of its lowest selling entries.

Personally, if we were to get 4 new Zelda characters, I'd rather get various one shot characters from multiple games. Ghiharim or Demise, Vaati, Tetra... rather than a single Majora's Mask representative with transformations.

I know. It's merely fun, wishful thinking. I'm a huge MM fan and believe everyone should experience that game. I think it has sold the least out of every single console Zelda game, to date, inlcuding Zelda II and Skyward Sword. Tis a shame, for such a great game. It needs more exposure.

No offense, but why are people still so fixated on Majora's Mask characters? That game had it's time during Melee.

Also, despite my Pilotwings experience being limited to Pilotwings Resort (which I liked), I'm excited to see the SNES version get some representation. Just nabbed a copy off eBay for eight bucks.

Why? Because it's a great game, and mostly, unfairly, ignored, even by Nintendo. They always pretend that it doesn't exist.

Oh, but Pilot-fucking-wings, let alone the SNES version, is somehow more relevant? Okay.... ;)

Kouichi

Majoras Mask is my favorite Zelda game so I would love to have either Skull Kid or Masked Link be playable.

We're all fixated on characters we like and we want to see them playable because we like them. Easy to understand.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

You should give Pilotwings 64 a try as well, since I adored the game. I don't know what people think of the game tho.

Bentendo

Do the purple and white Pikmin make an appearance in the new game? Just out of curiosity...

EDIT: By new game I mean Pikmin 3, not Smash.

-PXG-

How many Link's do we need?

Normal Link is good enough, and Toon was pushing it. We don't need a third one.

You're right. We don't need a third. Get rid of Toon Link. Problem solved.

We need fierce diety link. He can replace regular link.

Unless you make him really slow, a glass cannon, or the Akuma of Smash, he would be stupidly over powered. That doesn't make sense at all, since the Fierce Diety is strong as shit.

We need Wolf Link. :p

FUCK NO. You lost your speaking privileges. Go home, you're drunk.

Masked Link would be awesome enough to warrant a second Link again.

Word.

Toon link is enough.

You can have normal boring link.

Toon Link had his time to shine. Give the spotlight to someone else.

Toon Ganon please.

Now I like this idea. WW Ganondof was a boss.

Why? Because it's a great game, and mostly, unfairly, ignored, even by Nintendo. They always pretend that it doesn't exist.

I love Majora's Mask, but I fail to see why they'd randomly go back and construct a character around it. You could argue the same for OOT since they're making a Gerudo Valley stage, but since that a recent remake it makes sense they'd revisit it. You could also make a viable counterpoint with the Pokémon Trainer character using R/B/Y Pokémon but those are the most iconic (although admittedly I feel it'd be stale if they stuck with them).

Also, when they did they start ignoring Majora's Mask? Because they didn't do a 3DS remake?

Oh, but Pilot-fucking-wings, let alone the SNES version, is somehow more relevant? Okay.... ;)

I'm not arguing that Pilotwings is more relevant than Majora's Mask, but anyway, Pilotwings is an entirely different case since it has yet to be featured in Smash Bros. Majora Mask's already received an ample amount of representation via a stage (Great Bay), trophies (Tingle, Giants, etc.), the Bunny Hood item (it originated in OOT, but they borrowed the speed-up effect from MM), and Young Link's Fire Arrows in Melee (along with the Termina Field track in Brawl). Meanwhile, how much has Pilotwings been represented? Just a sticker in Brawl. That's it.

To reiterate, why suddenly go back and revisit Majora's Mask when there are plenty of untouched Nintendo series barely/yet to be repped in Smash? That's what excites me about the Pilotwings stage (if it is one, anyway), as there's plenty of potential elements to cull from the series in the form of a new stage, music, ATs, trophies, etc., all of which have yet to be seen in the series so it feels fresh. Granted, I don't think it'll receive a playable character but if the Mii rumor turns out to be true I wouldn't be surprised if they used Resort's Jetpack as a recovery move.

.We're all fixated on characters we like and we want to see them playable because we like them. Easy to understand.

Not when there's an intense fascination since the Brawl days surrounding characters from one game that came out thirteen years ago. Sorry if I'm sounding like a party-pooper, but let the newer/underrepped games have their time to shine.

My guess is that, if anything, a new Zelda character would probably be from Skyward Sword (which I would hate but could at least see the reasoning behind it).

You should give Pilotwings 64 a try as well, since I adored the game. I don't know what people think of the game tho.

Will do. I've been on a huge "old game" kick lately so it should be easy to get around to.

ffdgh

Unless you make him really slow, a glass cannon, or the Akuma of Smash, he would be stupidly over powered. That doesn't make sense at all, since the Fierce Diety is strong as shit.

I'm not being completely serious. :D

Besides, link would love to be overpowered for once lol.

Kouichi

Not when there's an intense fascination since the Brawl days surrounding characters from one game that came out thirteen years ago. Sorry if I'm sounding like a party-pooper, but let the newer/underrepped games have their time to shine.

But it's a Smash Bros discussion! Hyping up characters from old games is what we do. Besides, I played MM for the first time last year.

I'm not saying that an MM character deserves to be in or that they're likely or that they should get in over other Zelda characters. I just that want them on the grounds that I like them and they would be fun characters. I don't expect a MM character at all.

I'm not saying that an MM character deserves to be in or that they're likely or that they should get in over other Zelda characters. I just that want them on the grounds that I like them and they would be fun characters. I don't expect a MM character at all.

Mmkay. I'll just leave it that I respectfully disagree.

zroid

Banned

well... this year's platinum reward for Club Ninteno was the Majora's Mask soundtrack.

that's something

I think its 3DS remake is coming out in 2014. Grezzo can't possibly have been totally occupied by Flower Town.

MM is the only 3D Zelda i haven't played :p still waiting for the 3DS version~

GamerSoul

How many Link's do we need?

Normal Link is good enough, and Toon was pushing it. We don't need a third one.

Yea, although I do like the sound of MM Link, we have enough Links imo. I don't think their move sets are going to drastically change anyways.

Kouichi

I wonder how different Toon Zelda/Sheik would have been if they made it in.

Anyone expects Sakurai to try and fit them into this game?

Frolow

Banned
I wonder how different Toon Zelda/Sheik would have been if they made it in.

Anyone expects Sakurai to try and fit them into this game?
Doubt Sakurai is going to add even more clones. Judging from the interviews alone it sounds like most of the clones are getting axed

-PXG-

well... this year's platinum reward for Club Ninteno was the Majora's Mask soundtrack.

that's something

I think its 3DS remake is coming out in 2014. Grezzo can't possibly have been totally occupied by Flower Town.

MM is the only 3D Zelda i haven't played :p still waiting for the 3DS version~

Majora's Mask soundtrack.

Majora's Mask

What...WHAT!!!. WAAAT!!!!?!?!?!?!

I just ordered the Japanese CD LAST FUCKING NIGHT!!!!!

*checks Club Nintendo account*

God damnit!!!!! I could have gotten it for free. Oh well, I'l order this one too, since it is free and I don't want anything else. It's too late to cancel my other order. Shit. Good thing I used my cash back rewards and not actual money. But still...FUCK!

ElFly

A pilot wings stage, one of the islands from the SNES game, got posted on miiverse with a vague description not stating that it was from pilotwings.

Cue hundreds of idiotic kids thinking that it was a minecraft stage.

Maybe not hundreds, but you get the idea.

HAHAHA awesome.

Kouichi

Doubt Sakurai is going to add even more clones. Judging from the interviews alone it sounds like most of the clones are getting axed

Really? From the interviews, it seemed like he wanted to keep as many veterans as possible.

Though, his comment about wanting to add characters that add something new and fresh to Smash Bros. might mean no new clones.

Top Bottom