• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 3: Ridley's Believe It or Not!

fisheyes

I'm late to the party, so a few stray observations / thoughts that may of been brought up before

- Rosalina and Luma look great. They wouldn't be even close to my choice for next Mario character (Waluigi am cry), but man, they look fun

- I think Nintendo is purposely trying to push through female characters in their games a lot more - having Peach and Rosalina playable in
3D World
and now SSB4, Dixie in Tropical Freeze, and even WFT in SSB4 also. To that end, I expect to see Dixie, Palutena and maybe a female FE character in SSB4 at the very least as well.

- I think the reveal trailers are being made specifically for the internet, rather than to show up in the game (though they still might appear in game, too) - if this video was made to play before Rosalina was unlocked or something, surely Yoshi and Wario, who you would expect to be starter characters, would appear in it, right? DK is in there, so they weren't worried about having non Mushroom branded Mario characters

-To that note, I really think there may be no unlockable characters this time. Even if you write off Luigi's reveal as being Year of Luigi based, Rosalina would seem to me a perfect unlockable character, and yet here she is, already revealed. When Sakurai talked about the internet giving stuff away in regards to SSE content and the like, I think he may of been also talking about characters getting leaked a few days before release. But if no characters are secret, then he gets greater control of how to reveal them.

Neiteio

Villager
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina & Luma
Dixie Kong
Little Mac
Palutena
Chrom & Lucina
Toon Zelda / Tetra
Takamaru
Pac-Man
Mii

...sounds about right.

Ryce

Villager
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina & Luma
Dixie Kong
Little Mac
Palutena
Chrom & Lucina
Toon Zelda / Tetra
Takamaru
Pac-Man
Mii

...sounds about right.
That's more or less what I'm expecting, but I'm not completely sold on Little Mac and Mii. I also think there might be another retro character.

Neoxon

Villager
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina & Luma
Dixie Kong
Little Mac
Palutena
Chrom & Lucina
Toon Zelda / Tetra
Takamaru
Pac-Man
Mii

...sounds about right.
Not so sure about the bolded. Maybe Takumaru, but I'm still 50/50 on his chances.

Plus you're missing Shulk

fisheyes

Villager
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina & Luma
Dixie Kong
Little Mac
Palutena
Chrom & Lucina
Toon Zelda / Tetra
Takamaru
Pac-Man
Mii

...sounds about right.

Acceptable, and would make for a nice diverse roster when all is said and done (assuming all Brawl characters plus Mewtwo and maybe Roy return), but ultimately a bit too safe. Needs another out of left field character, I doubt they would've revealed WFT so early unless they had something else interesting waiting in the wings.

Neoxon

I'm late to the party, so a few stray observations / thoughts that may of been brought up before

- Rosalina and Luma look great. They wouldn't be even close to my choice for next Mario character (Waluigi am cry), but man, they look fun

- I think Nintendo is purposely trying to push through female characters in their games a lot more - having Peach and Rosalina playable in
3D World
and now SSB4, Dixie in Tropical Freeze, and even WFT in SSB4 also. To that end, I expect to see Dixie, Palutena and maybe a female FE character in SSB4 at the very least as well.

- I think the reveal trailers are being made specifically for the internet, rather than to show up in the game (though they still might appear in game, too) - if this video was made to play before Rosalina was unlocked or something, surely Yoshi and Wario, who you would expect to be starter characters, would appear in it, right? DK is in there, so they weren't worried about having non Mushroom branded Mario characters

-To that note, I really think there may be no unlockable characters this time. Even if you write off Luigi's reveal as being Year of Luigi based, Rosalina would seem to me a perfect unlockable character, and yet here she is, already revealed. When Sakurai talked about the internet giving stuff away in regards to SSE content and the like, I think he may of been also talking about characters getting leaked a few days before release. But if no characters are secret, then he gets greater control of how to reveal them.
The only major FE character in recent memory that's significant to the plot is Lucina, and her chances died when Marth was revealed.

Maybe Anna due to her being in every FE game, but Chrom is way more likely than her.

fisheyes said:
Acceptable, and would make for a nice diverse roster when all is said and done (assuming all Brawl characters plus Mewtwo and maybe Roy return), but ultimately a bit too safe. Needs another out of left field character, I doubt they would've revealed WFT so early unless they had something else interesting waiting in the wings.
Oh hell no. That bastard can rot in hell for all I care.

Gartooth

Toon Zelda is a cheap idea that needs to go in the trash. I hope the Brawl data was a last minute idea to fill in the roster more than anything. If Sakurai really wants to keep the Zelda series to the main three characters, then a classic representation of Ganon is the best way to go. (It is criminal how that character has been treated in Smash)

In regards to Lucina, Marth should have no implications on her chances and if anything I'd wager a Chrom reveal would be more damaging.

Ryce

I'm honestly expecting to see Toon Zelda (as a hidden character if we're still getting those).

1. She was planned for Brawl. That's got to count for something. At the very least, we know Sakurai views Toon Zelda as a serious candidate.

2. The Zelda series has gotten five new entries since Brawl's planning period, so I don't see Sakurai leaving the Zelda roster untouched.

3. Of those five games, Toon Zelda appears in three: Phantom Hourglass (as Tetra), Spirit Tracks, and Wind Waker HD.

She's a "clone," but she's still a major character.

Neiteio

I never would have guessed Villager since Sakurai had previously dismissed him as ineligible. I never would have guessed Wii Fit Trainer for the same reasons no one on the Internet guessed Wii Fit Trainer. I never would have realistically guessed Mega Man, given his prolonged absence at Capcom. And I never would have guessed Rosalina let alone Rosalina & Luma, reasoning that there are already enough core and "extended universe" Mario characters.

But here we are. Sakurai's creative decisions can be hard to predict... But I agree wholeheartedly with his vision for each newcomer so far. :)

That's more or less what I'm expecting, but I'm not completely sold on Little Mac and Mii. I also think there might be another retro character.
Little Mac and Mii are most likely in. They were among the six newcomers leaked by the one person on the Internet who "predicted" Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man, in an unedited post here right before E3.

Not so sure about the bolded. Maybe Takumaru, but I'm still 50/50 on his chances.

Plus you're missing Shulk
Hmm, Sakurai did tweet that image of an orchestra where there was a prop of Shulk's sword, did he not? Maybe he has Xenoblade on the brain.

I think Takamaru is likely because 1) Sakurai likes reviving retro characters and Takamaru completes the "Famicon Four" with Link, Samus, and Pit, and 2) Mysterious Murasame Castle was recently approved for an English-language Virtual Console release by the Australian rating boards, and 3) one of the 12 attractions in Nintendo Land was "Takamaru's Ninja Castle."

Add Shulk and a return for Mewtwo and I'm all set. Not too fussed about Toon Zelda though.
I didn't list Mewtwo because I'd consider him a veteran.

Regarding Toon Zelda -- data mined from Brawl suggests a Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik had been in development at one point. Perhaps Sakurai will revisit those concepts but use Tetra instead of Toon Sheik, given how Tetra has reappeared in TWW HD and also appeared in Phantom Hourglass. Toon Zelda, meanwhile, could have her spirit moves from Spirit Tracks -- doubly appropriate, given the Spirit Tracks level in the 3DS game.

Ryce

Little Mac and Mii are most likely in. They were among the six newcomers leaked by the one person on the Internet who predicted Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man, in an unedited post here right before E3.
I know that, but I don't think the rumor was completely accurate. For one, the rumor specified that all six characters would be shown at E3, which obviously didn't pan out. The leaker clearly knew something, but I don't think he knew everything. We'll see.

Neiteio

I know that, but I don't think the rumor was completely accurate. For one, the rumor specified that all six characters would be shown at E3, which obviously didn't pan out. The leaker clearly knew something, but I don't think he knew everything. We'll see.
Notice how the newcomers each had their own trailer? This allows them to be mixed and matched in any order. It's perfectly possible six trailers were prepared, and the plan was to release them one at a time until Sakurai thought the reactions were enough. Sakurai might've gone in with six, planning only to use three, but which three would be decided by ear.

Notice how the newcomers each had their own trailer? This allows them to be mixed and matched in any order. It's perfectly possible six trailers were prepared, and the plan was to release them one at a time until Sakurai thought the reactions were enough. Sakurai might've gone in with six, planning only to use three, but which three would be decided by ear.

rule #1 of speculation: if you have to add qualifiers to your statements, it's already dead

DaBoss

No it's not. Today's trailer had Luigi and Peach.

Neiteio

Regarding the rumored Mii, Little Mac and Pac-Man, it's worth noting:

- There is a "Find Mii" stage in the 3DS version, and a Wuhu Island/Pilotwings stage in the WiiU version.

- There is a boxing ring in the WiiU version that has the exact same details as the ring in Punch-Out!!

- Sakurai was asked about Pac-Man by Richard George (check this) at IGN, and Sakurai asked Rich how he'd implement Pac-Man, and Rich suggested the classic arcade form, and a Final Smash where he powers up and chases enemies around the screen trying to gobble them up. And Sakurai agreed it was a good idea. The implication, it was said at the time, was Sakurai was already thinking along these lines.

Those three characters make sense given other content and clues we've received, beyond the poster who, right before E3, uncannily "predicted" Villager, Wii Fit Trainer AND Mega Man.

Gartooth

I think Pac-Man's presence on the list is more damaging than the other two. Sakurai statements about Namco not automatically getting a rep just by developing the game, and also stating regarding Mega Man that he wants the characters to feel authentic makes me question whether an arcade representation of Pac-Man could be pulled off.

Not

Banned
I just hope this means Sakurai's going to lean on the side of adding more female characters. WFT, Samus, Peach, and Rosalina so far.

*Still crossing fingers for Krystal, Lucina, Sami, and Palutena*

Ryce

Eh... I don't really see that situation as being plausible. Three newcomer trailers is a lot to sit on. If Little Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man trailers were finished as far back as E3, I don't see why Rosalina was revealed today instead of one of those three. There's also the fact that Rosalina's trailer features characters, stages, and items that have been revealed over the last few months; Sakurai would have to retool those old Little Mac/Mii/Pac-Man trailers to include newer content, which seems like a huge waste of time.

DaBoss

There was an Electroplankton, Pictochat, and Animal Crossing stage in Brawl. Stages don't mean much.

Sakurai says a bunch of things and was asked a question and answered it. It neither confirms or denies anything.

For the record, I completely trust that rumor that had the 6 characters. There is no justifying or denying it. It is just wait and see. This is why Sakurai stopped tweeting a lot since everything he would say would find its way to be "Smash-related confirmations".
Eh... I don't really see that situation as being plausible. Three newcomer trailers is a lot to sit on. If Little Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man trailers were finished as far back as E3, I don't see why Rosalina was revealed today instead of one of those three. There's also the fact that Rosalina's trailer features characters, stages, and items that have been revealed over the last few months; Sakurai would have to retool those old Little Mac/Mii/Pac-Man trailers to include newer content, which seems like a huge waste of time.
Not really. The CGI portion of the trailers don't have to include any of the characters that weren't initially revealed.

Yes this is contradictory to my previous post. My point is nothing proves or disproves anything.

Sciz

I just hope this means Sakurai's going to lean on the side of adding more female characters. WFT, Samus, Peach, and Rosalina so far.

*Still crossing fingers for Krystal, Lucina, Sami, and Palutena*
Clearly the obvious answer here is Ms. Pac-Man.

solomon

I knew that the the Villager's up special recovery would be terrible, hopefully his rocket will be more useful.

I was really excited when I first saw him, but the more and more info is shown, the lower in tier's he goes in my mind (Honestly I don't care for tiers, I usually play a low tier as my primary character) but that balloon pop thing sort of sucks. I've played ness since melee so I'm used to my recovery being stopped ,at least with ness you have some ways around it but if its that easy to pop the balloons.... ._. , hopefully they give it a little durability. Picture characters with range attacks like fox, pit etc just sniping you out.

It is pretty interesting how off we all were in predicting newcomers. Of the initial three, Mega Man was the one with the most support--the Villager was seemingly ruled out many years prior and the Wii Fit Trainer never got brought up at all. And sure, Rosalina seems like an easy choice now after 3D World, but if you had brought her up back before E3 for instance you'd be laughed out of the thread.
And this is why I am shying away from predicting which character will make it in. We really don't know as much as how Sakurai decides characters as we think and the fact that I legitimately believed that Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina and Villager had absolutely zero chance of getting in has caused me to eat my words several times.
Villager
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina & Luma
Dixie Kong
Little Mac
Palutena
Chrom & Lucina
Toon Zelda / Tetra
Takamaru
Pac-Man
Mii

...sounds about right.
Just add Ridley and King K. Rool and we're set.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm absolutely certain that Dixie is one of the newcomers

Tetra/Toon Zelda is one of my favorite Nintendo characters but she's far less likely to be in the game

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I was really excited when I first saw him, but the more and more info is shown, the lower in tier's he goes in my mind (Honestly I don't care for tiers, I usually play a low tier as my primary character) but that balloon pop thing sort of sucks. I've played ness since melee so I'm used to my recovery being stopped ,at least with ness you have some ways around it but if its that easy to pop the balloons.... ._. , hopefully they give it a little durability. Picture characters with range attacks like fox, pit etc just sniping you out.

If anything it should be more than everyone else's up special, alot of characters if they get hit during their up b will fall with no chance of recovery wherever they're, villager gets up to 2 or 3 hits to take advantage of his recovery, i dont know how you can see it as worse

Flowmoney

I hate that Sakurai is catering and marketing to current Nintendo fans.

There is other series like Mach Rider , Joy Mech Fight , Custom Robo , Advance/Battalion Wars , Golden Sun and etc. that could easily work into roster.

Ray MK II-III(MK whatever) can be like how he was as assist trophy and have rush down style with his projectiles mixed with his high mobility.

Mach Rider could be like gritty action hero in same ways of captain falcon and utilize hand to hand combat that is different from captain falcon. His Final Smash could be motorcycle that shoots out different things.

Sukapon could make use of his stretchy limbs to have dhaslim like attacks in his air moves and smash attacks.His specials could be his specials from his game.Could have awkward movement to represent his classic status like GAW and ROB.

Takamura could have a samurai based sword style.

Isaac is pretty straight forward from Golden Sun series.

Andy from Advance wars could fight with his wrenches and custom build tanks to fight with as special moves.His final smash could be like Reinforcements like strategy games are known to have at times.

I mean there is a lot that can be done with older characters , yet they get no love at all from Smash of all things.

Caladrius

Costume swap images of Rosalina with her in the outfits of Peach, WFT, DK, Mario, Etc.

I don't think we've seen any of the alts for any of the characters yet (Unless the Male Fit Trainer is indeed a costume.)

We'll probably see those close to release. They've got bigger priorities.

Ryce

Here’s an interesting observation regarding Brawl’s roster: the newcomers are evenly assigned to two major categories and to two minor categories.

Pre-Melee (6)
Relevant characters created before Melee’s roster was put together.

Wario (new franchise), Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, Pokémon Trainer, King Dedede, Wolf (late addition)

Post-Melee (6)
Relevant characters created after Melee’s roster was put together.

Olimar (new franchise), Zero Suit Samus, Lucas, Lucario, Ike, Toon Link (late addition)

Retro (2)
Classic characters who haven’t appeared during the last few console generations.

Pit, R.O.B.

Guest (2)
Third-party characters.

Snake, Sonic

Of course, there’s no telling if Sakurai plans on balancing SSB4’s newcomers out in a similar way, but it’s something worth considering, I suppose. He’s really rigid about this kind of stuff. I feel like a big part of Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina's inclusion has to do with the fact that they're "new" characters who didn't exist during the Brawl planning period.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
*yawns and continues to eats sour grapes in space*

J@hranimo

Banned
Soooo does anyone have an idea of why in some clips the lumas are different colors? I can't think of any reason right now. I thought it was interesting.

Caladrius

But what if it's actually THREE random characters!?!?

OR FOUR?!

My reaction will still be the same.

MILD IRRITATIOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN

Here’s an interesting observation regarding Brawl’s roster: the newcomers are evenly assigned to two major categories and to two minor categories.

Pre-Melee (6)
Relevant characters created before Melee’s roster was put together.
Wario (new franchise), Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, Pokémon Trainer, King Dedede, Wolf (late addition)
Post-Melee (6)
Relevant characters created after Melee’s roster was put together.
Olimar (new franchise), Zero Suit Samus, Lucas, Ike, Lucario, Toon Link (late addition)

Retro (2)
Classic characters who haven’t appeared during the last few console generations.
Pit, R.O.B.
Guest (2)
Third-party characters.
Snake, Sonic

Of course, there’s no telling if Sakurai plans on balancing SSB4’s newcomers out in a similar way, but it’s something worth considering, I suppose. He’s really rigid about this kind of stuff. I feel like a big part of Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina's inclusion has to do with the fact that they're "new" characters who didn't exist during the Brawl planning period.

It's interesting, but It isn't really something that you can make solid speculation with because all of the games have been made in vastly different circumstances. Well, that and the category-based nature of it means we would have to guess who comes next based off of what's "missing", so we wouldn't be able to predict very far ahead.

SmithnCo

Soooo does anyone have an idea of why in some clips the lumas are different colors? I can't think of any reason right now. I thought it was interesting.

Maybe they randomized them so it's easier to see which Luma belongs to you when there are multiple Rosalinas playing.

Top Bottom