• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERHYPERCUBE cancels Oculus support

RoyalFool

Banned
I wanted Oculus to fail since the Facebook buyout, as petty as it sounds - worried they would try to wall it into their own marketplace and monopolize a new category that needs openness to really take-off..

but i didn't want it to be like this :(

Phil Fish

2LzsaA8.gif

well done

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I thought they were Canadian?

I can assure you the result of the upcoming american election (and the result of any american election really) will have repercussions outside the US.

jay

Good. It's kind of exciting to see real world politics actually matter this much in the game industry. It's also fun to think of how angry a segment of gamers are because "games are just for fun and don't mean anything."

Shoeless

I thought they were Canadian?

He is. He's French Canadian. His actual name is Phillipe Poisson, which is the French word for "fish."

But, to be fair, considering the proximity, we Canadians are watching the coming American elections with a fairly high level of interest.

Shiggy

So Facebook now has to fire that guy and give him a big compensation package, which gives him even more money to fund stupid groups? Quite a PR disaster for Facebook/Oculus already.

Wonder what will happen next. Sucks for current Oculus owners though.

Tain

I'm curious as to exactly what they mean. No Oculus store is obvious. No Oculus API? That makes sense, especially if they haven't implemented it yet.

I'm assuming they mean that they're only implementing SteamVR. Which means the game actually will have Rift support.

Ferr986

The moe anime avatar squad on twitter are already shitting on them LOL.

But really, good on them. This is more serious than just left or right winged politics.

Silexx

Phil Fish talking about bigotry and hate? Now that's rich.

Oh? Phil Fish has always been outspoken against racism on social media. One of the reasons he was doxxed was because of his support for BLM on social media and then butting heads with racists over it.

So Facebook now has to fire that guy and give him a big compensation package, which gives him even more money to fund stupid groups? Quite a PR disaster for Facebook/Oculus already.

Wonder what will happen next. Sucks for current Oculus owners though.
Without seeing his contract it's hard to say. There may be a clause about off-duty conduct that could allow them to do it without a severance package.

What was he a bigot against? Japanese games?

The dude could be a jerk, but it's hardly on a level comparable to this recent news.

It is absolutely fucking ludicrous that we have a literal fascist with a great chance to become the most powerful person in the world and some people are preoccupied with equating the phrase "Japanese games just suck" with bigotry.

jrcbandit

Glad to see something come out of this. If you are a public figure, especially the main figurehead representing your company, you shouldn't be able to provide support (financial or otherwise) to hatemongering groups without having some consequences.

jay

It is absolutely fucking ludicrous that we have a literal fascist with a great chance to become the most powerful person in the world and some people are preoccupied with equating the phrase "Japanese games just suck" with bigotry.

But I really like Japanese games and he hurt my feelings.

collige

Banned
I'm curious as to exactly what they mean. No Oculus store is obvious. No Oculus API? That makes sense, especially if they haven't implemented it yet.

I'm assuming they mean that they're only implementing SteamVR. Which means the game actually will have Rift support.

This is probably the case, but not releasing on the Oculus store certainly hurts Oculus financially since they won't get any cut of software sales.

Phil Fish talking about bigotry and hate? Now that's rich.

I'm not the biggest supporter of Fish since he did act like an ass towards others including a couple of devs but even I think that's ludicrous to say.

Sure he said he hated Japanese games but he never said "I hate the Japanese" or anything like that.

Oh? Phil Fish has always been outspoken against racism on social media. One of the reasons he was doxxed was because of his support for BLM on social media and then butting heads with racists over it.

Yeah he doesn't like japanese games though so he's literally hitler

Shiggy

Without seeing his contract it's hard to say. There may be a clause about off-duty conduct that could allow them to do it without a severance package.

They'd probably want to avoid a lengthy lawsuit which keeps this up for years. Without a severance package, such a lawsuit would be even more likely I suppose.

Props to them, always good to see a company with principles.

Equating Phil Fish's comments on Japanese games to the bile spewed by Trump and his alt-right is some childish shit.

Top Bottom