• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superior Devil May Cry 4 Official Thread (new VIDEO 4/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtz

TheJollyCorner said:
I apologize if this has already been mentioned/responded to, but....

what was the big surprise relating to DMC that was suppose to be revealed @ TGS?

-PSP game?

-360 version?

-near-launch announcement?

(hopefully not the damned anime -_-)
I think it was the anime, yeah. I wish it was the PSP/near launch release, but nope. And DMC4=PS3 exclusive.

Snaku

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
I apologize if this has already been mentioned/responded to, but....

what was the big surprise relating to DMC that was suppose to be revealed @ TGS?

-PSP game?

-360 version?

-near-launch announcement?

(hopefully not the damned anime -_-)

I think it was the anime.

Bebpo

Banned
Taken from the Ninja Gaiden thread from Mielke's blog

But for people riding on the fence as to whether this will be worth it, let me just say I'd rather play an enhanced-Ninja Gaiden again than any of the new launch titles. Some of the guys who've checked out Devil May Cry 4 said it's essentially what you'd expect, and didn't sound particularly blown away. While DMC3 was something of a return to form for the series (in particular, I refer to the Special Edition with all the extra stuff in it), it's still not the same as if that series' creator, Hideki Kamiya is responsible for it, so my enthusiasm is kept somewhat in check, since DMC3 was pretty unbalanced and poorly designed in places.

This seems to be the reaction were getting from EVERYBODY playing it. "oh it plays like DMC...meh...let's move on". Am I living in some bizarro universe or was DMC3 not the greatest action game ever? I mean if DMC4 plays like DMC3 + new moves/enemies/bosses...how is that a boring thing?

It's like suddenly everyone in the press is going "yeah, that DMC3 sure was an average forgettable game. Can't wait for some GoW2!!". Is this the backlash years later from the press not getting past the 1st boss without cheat saves? Man, wtf.

Aside from fire monster stomping the shit out of a house, all of the vids I've seen of DMC4 are just too 'been there, done that'-feeling. Perhaps there's more to see that'll add a needed feeling of freshness to the table. I don't care for the insano particle and translucent-sprite shit flung everywhere when Nero swings his sword...too much shit too quickly. It makes the combat looks less special because there's no calm before the storm...no contrast in visualized power by tempering it with more normal-looking attacks.

Surreal

Bebpo said:

This seems to be the reaction were getting from EVERYBODY playing it. "oh it plays like DMC...meh...let's move on". Am I living in some bizarro universe or was DMC3 not the greatest action game ever? I mean if DMC4 plays like DMC3 + new moves/enemies/bosses...how is that a boring thing?

It's like suddenly everyone in the press is going "yeah, that DMC3 sure was an average forgettable game. Can't wait for some GoW2!!". Is this the backlash years later from the press not getting past the 1st boss without cheat saves? Man, wtf.

Mielke did give DMC3 a 7/10, so....

Bebpo said:

You're quite correct. DMC3 is the greatest action game ever. Some people are just, well, slow.

black_13

Banned
Bebpo said:

So he's saying DMC4 is too much like DMC3 yet he wants to play NG:Sigma instead which is practically a graphical upgrade of the last gen game?

Somebody just doesn't want to admit that this game is looking so damn fine.

mckmas8808

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Aside from fire monster stomping the shit out of a house, all of the vids I've seen of DMC4 are just too 'been there, done that'-feeling. Perhaps there's more to see that'll add a needed feeling of freshness to the table. I don't care for the insano particle and translucent-sprite shit flung everywhere when Nero swings his sword...too much shit too quickly. It makes the combat looks less special because there's no calm before the storm...no contrast in visualized power by tempering it with more normal-looking attacks.

You just went against everything DMC really is.:lol

Calm down before the storm? :lol The guy gave DMC3 a 7/10.

Shouta

Bebpo said:

Bizzaro World, definitely. Oh, if Mielke said that, it's ****ing Mielke =P.

Was the build shown at TGS running at 100 fps, or did Capcom just say that the game could run at it? And would it be a noticeable difference from 60 fps?

Kittonwy

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:

Been there, done that? Just about every other 3D action game series hasn't even gotten on the damn bus.

Holtz

Man, the milkman (damn, what a stupid nickname) is so full of shit. His analysis of DMC4 is so biased it's not even funny. And DMC3 a 7/10?! WTF?! The guy couldn't be more of a ridiculous fanboy if he tried.

J2 Cool

black_13 said:
So he's saying DMC4 is too much like DMC3 yet he wants to play NG:Sigma instead which is practically a graphical upgrade of the last gen game?

Somebody just doesn't want to admit that this game is looking so damn fine.

Yep, all his blog is saying is that he loves Ninja Gaiden more than DMC4 and it's better than the rest of the PS3. Fanboy garbage? I think so.

mckmas8808 said:
You just went against everything DMC really is.:lol

Calm down before the storm? :lol
I'm not going to explain this if you don't understand, because you won't understand if you can't understand what I wrote in the first place. Just a preference. Don't hate.

Been there, done that? Just about every other 3D action game series hasn't even gotten on the damn bus.
I'll be more explicit about it: too 'been there, done that'-feeling...meaning what I've seen of the game in vids so far just seems too much like the other DMC games. Where's the beef? New stuff? It's not in those vids that I've seen, that's for sure.

MightyHedgehog said:
I'll be more explicit about it: too 'been there, done that'-feeling...meaning what I've seen of the game in vids so far just seems too much like the other DMC games. Where's the beef? New stuff? It's not in those vids that I've seen, that's for sure.

Unless you're referencing DMC2 in your 'other DMC games', this is a GOOD thing.

Pureauthor said:
Unless you're referencing DMC2 in your 'other DMC games', this is a GOOD thing.
What? There's a DMC2? I'd totally forg...****! Damn it. No, not that boring piece of crap.

I didn't like the pacing of DMC3 anyway. As much as I enjoyed it, my action-game expectations have changed with NG.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
MightyHedgehog said:
What? There's a DMC2? I'd totally forg...****! Damn it. No, not that boring piece of crap.

I didn't like the pacing of DMC3 anyway. As much as I enjoyed it, my action-game expectations have changed with NG.

Then stick to NG, and stop trying to ruin this thread. Ifyou have anything productive to say, feel free by all means, but to say what you're saying and not have any real basis for it, and bring up NG in a backhanded manner like that, puh-lease.

J2 Cool said:
Yep, all his blog is saying is that he loves Ninja Gaiden more than DMC4 and it's better than the rest of the PS3. Fanboy garbage? I think so.

Yeah, Mielke (milkman) took a pretty big swipe at Heavenly Sword as well. In his earlier blog (the one where he praises the Wii) he mentioned that Heavenly Sword was a low-poly button masher with no depth.

I guess he only likes NG. He didn't like DMC3, apparently he doesn't care too much for God of War, and has already written off DMC4 and Heavenly Sword. With HS, I can agree with James. The game does have a mashy-god of war feel to it. But to write off DMC4 just because Kamiya isn't involved is REALLY UN-FAIR considering DMC4 is probably the only next-gen game still using traditional game design and tech. (i.e, fast stable framerates, clean crisp visuals that doesn't impede on the gameplay etc., and balls to walls difficulty with sexy cutscenes in-between.)

MightyHedgehog said:

Dude, your way off in more ways then one.

The super flashy combat you've been seeing in the DMC4 clips IS THE GODDAMN CALM. That's what makes DMC so great. The 'boring' stuff in DMC[4] is probably more visually and controllably more exciting than the most extreme shit in other action games.

Plus, it's a DEMO dude.

You're not going to have a demo be the 'calm' of the game because you want people to witness the storm of it.

The final retail version of DMC4 will undoubtably have a 'purchase / upgrade a move' system like the previous DMC's where you notice the game go from a few simple attacks to attacks and combos that'd make virtua figther jealous.

C- Warrior said:
Dude, your way off in more ways then one.

The super flashy combat you've been seeing in the DMC4 clips IS THE GODDAMN CALM. That's what makes DMC so great. The 'boring' stuff in DMC[4] is probably more visually and controllably more exciting than the most extreme shit in other action games.

Plus, it's a DEMO dude.

You're not going to have a demo be the 'calm' of the game because you want people to witness the storm of it.

The final retail version of DMC4 will undoubtably have a 'purchase / upgrade a move' system like the previous DMC's where you notice the game go from a few simple attacks to attacks and combos that'd make virtua figther jealous.
Well, then...if that's the case and they're just giving you all the crazy powerful shit just for the purpose of the demo, I stand corrected.

MightyHedgehog said:
Well, then...if that's the case and they're just giving you all the crazy powerful shit just for the purpose of the demo, I stand corrected.

Yes and no.

It's more of a mix. Have a few tricks here and there to -- you know, make the demo enjoyable (even though with the scope of games nowadays I doubt how any 10 minute preview of a full-scale game can be enjoyable) but at the same time, don't show all the tricks in your bag.

The whole weapon element wasn't there, Capcom obviously isn't going to entirely ditch the instant weapon changing and style system (considering those are the two elements that made DMC3's combat the best in gaming) and among other things.

mckmas8808

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:

Where's the beef in Lost Odessey? OKAY don't answer that question. Just think about it. I think you know what I'm getting at.

gconsole

Hi C-Warrior.Why wasting your time trying to explain what they won't understand? If that is their attitude, just let them go. It's useless trying to speak with the people who prefer NG combat style and bashing whatever DMC is. The arguement will meet no end with the direction of 'my game is superior than your game'. Damn, DMC series get a lot more reputation and sale wise. I can live happily with theses 2 facts.

C- Warrior said:
Yes and no.

It's more of a mix. Have a few tricks here and there to -- you know, make the demo enjoyable (even though with the scope of games nowadays I doubt how any 10 minute preview of a full-scale game can be enjoyable) but at the same time, don't show all the tricks in your bag.

The whole weapon element wasn't there, Capcom obviously isn't going to entirely ditch the instant weapon changing and style system (considering those are the two elements that made DMC3's combat the best in gaming) and among other things.
I understand. It's just that without some information declaring that this was the nature of the TGS demo, I took all of the footage shown (that I've seen) to mean that this is how the game starts you off, in terms of attacks. And I didn't really care for it visually. And to be clear, outside of the earlier statement regarding NG, I'm in the camp that prefers DMC1's more ebb and flow structure of 'level' progression. DMC 3 was unrelenting with the combat by comparison, IMO. Not a bad thing, mind you...just not my preference as DMC1 and NG share the same kind of flow. I appreciate that you can understand what I typed up while others simply view my statements as bashing non-sense.

jett

D-Member
Mielke's DMC4 impressions mean nothing to me.

p.s. milkman, the tutorial in VF4:Evolution is your friend.

SnakeXs

Raiden said:
Why cant we all both like Ninja Gaiden and DMC just like me.

*shrug*

That would be too simple. The GAF Gods would rumble at such appeasement.

I'm wichu, brother. I just prefer DMC by a mean margin.

MightyHedgehog said:
I understand. It's just that without some information declaring that this was the nature of the TGS demo, I took all of the footage shown (that I've seen) to mean that this is how the game starts you off, in terms of attacks. And I didn't really care for it visually. And to be clear, outside of the earlier statement regarding NG, I'm in the camp that prefers DMC1's more ebb and flow structure of 'level' progression. DMC 3 was unrelenting with the combat by comparison, IMO. Not a bad thing, mind you...just not my preference as DMC1 and NG share the same kind of flow. I appreciate that you can understand what I typed up while others simply view my statements as bashing non-sense.

No, I agree. Most DMC fans usually bust out a big fat "o_O" when somebody says DMC1 was better than DMC3 (or SE, depending on your preference of game difficulty). But I never considered (at least in the eyes of the original creators Kobayashi/Kamiya/Mikami) that DMC was to be a balls to wall action franchise. It was more meant to be a Resident Evil meets Castlevania meets super reponsive controls. DMC3 became Street Fighter meets Virtua Fighter meets Powerstone.

The best DMC game IMO, is one to capture the thematic atmosphere of DMC1/Resident Evil with the action of DMC3.

However, that's way too much design. No action series can do all that. DMC3 (without including SE sales in Europe) has sold 1.67 million, Ninja Gaiden is a ways less then that but it's over a million regardless. But regardless neither game has sold enough as to where you can expect a good story, kickass cutscense, great level design, superb tech, awesome combat, great art design all rolled in one. A Final Fantasy esque budget could pull such a thing off, but the dipshits at Square Enix can't make a good action game if their lives depended on it. And then you'll get a studio that does have the budget to do all that (God of War) but they'll pussy out and make the game over-ly easy in fear that they will lose maximum penatration if they make the game too hard or complex.

The action genre is damned if you, damned if you don't IMO. Take the best we have and support the best we have.

PS: So far, DMC4 is on the right track. It's art design so far seems to be (as 1up put it) a Devil May Cry meets Resident Evil 4. You have the castle influence (DMC) and the cavarn, dock, industrial influence (RE4) which makes sense considering the team composition. The only downfall is that because the game doesn't use a shit load of blur and HDR lighting, the game is getting horrible negative rep from screenshots. My god, maybe Capcom should join the rest of the world and release PR bullshit screens.

C- Warrior said:
No, I agree. Most DMC fans usually bust out a big fat "o_O" when somebody says DMC1 was better than DMC3 (or SE, depending on your preference of game difficulty). But I never considered (at least in the eyes of the original creators Kobayashi/Kamiya/Mikami) that DMC was to be a balls to wall action franchise. It was more meant to be a Resident Evil meets Castlevania meets super reponsive controls. DMC3 became Street Fighter meets Virtua Fighter meets Powerstone.

The best DMC game IMO, is one to capture the thematic atmosphere of DMC1/Resident Evil with the action of DMC3.

However, that's way too much design. No action series can do all that. DMC3 (without including SE sales in Europe) has sold 1.67 million, Ninja Gaiden is a ways less then that but it's over a million regardless. But regardless neither game has sold enough as to where you can expect a good story, kickass cutscense, great level design, superb tech, awesome combat, great art design all rolled in one. A Final Fantasy esque budget could pull such a thing off, but the dipshits at Square Enix can't make a good action game if their lives depended on it. And then you'll get a studio that does have the budget to do all that (God of War) but they'll pussy out and make the game over-ly easy in fear that they will lose maximum penatration if they make the game too hard or complex.

The action genre is damned if you, damned if you don't IMO. Take the best we have and support the best we have.

Well said. I would hope that DMC4 goes back to the feel of DMC1, but with all of the additions of 3/SE...but there's no indication that will happen...yet.

PS: So far, DMC4 is on the right track. It's art design so far seems to be (as 1up put it) a Devil May Cry meets Resident Evil 4. You have the castle influence (DMC) and the cavarn, dock, industrial influence (RE4) which makes sense considering the team composition. The only downfall is that because the game doesn't use a shit load of blur and HDR lighting, the game is getting horrible negative rep from screenshots. My god, maybe Capcom should join the rest of the world and release PR bullshit screens.
Yeah, I like the look of it....well maybe not all of the shit flying around when you attack no matter what...but that's my preference. Capcom seems to be getting on a roll here with the release of DR and LP coming up. DMC4 looks like it'll continue that trend. Capcom may become the gods of the action genre like they were in the 8-bit days.

SnakeXs

C- Warrior said:

That's all, folks.

More DMC1 "action puzzle solving" a la Shadows, DMC1's atmosphere, a story and characters as good as 3, boss fights that are a mix of the two (I want some returning boss fights, damnit), with DMC3's core gameplay engine = pure sex. Add in slightly] more serious Dante (if only to stop the damn complaints from annoying people), with more serious cocky moments (a la flock off feather face, say hello to my son, etc.), more Vergil, an overall solid story, and that's what I personally would call a perfect DMC.

Solid

Damn that trailer is so cool!
speechless-smiley-012.gif

SnakeXs said:
That's all, folks.

More DMC1 "action puzzle solving" a la Shadows, DMC1's atmosphere, a story and characters as good as 3, boss fights that are a mix of the two (I want some returning boss fights, damnit), with DMC3's core gameplay engine = pure sex. Add in slightly] more serious Dante (if only to stop the damn complaints from annoying people), with more serious cocky moments (a la flock off feather face, say hello to my son, etc.), more Vergil, an overall solid story, and that's what I personally would call a perfect DMC.

It's apparent Capcom knows this.

If you look at how the demo is set-up, they are literaly taking the environments and art design form DMC1 and reworking them.

The first part the DMC4 demo has a circular garden with a fountain in the middle -- sound familiar, see here in DMC1:

dmc_32.jpg

The second part of the DMC4 demo was the upward spiral staircase set, which is analagous to this DMC1 area:

dmc_final_9.jpg

The final products obviously look different, but in artistic description it seems Capcom is going straight to DMC1 -- which is a good thing.

Bebpo said:

Those impressions sound good to me. If its what you'd expect from the game then it must be the best action game ever, because after DMC3 (which currently holds that title) that's what I expect from it.

RyuHayate

C- Warrior said:
...My god, maybe Capcom should join the rest of the world and release PR bullshit screens.

And THAT is what pisses me off. The only thing Capcom did was be honest in saying, "This is how our game looks, no touched-up screen shots or other tricks," and they are rewarded with all this bitching and moaning.

Solid

SolidSnakex said:
Those impressions sound good to me. If its what you'd expect from the game then it must be the best action game ever, because after DMC3 (which currently holds that title) that's what I expect from it.
You like DMC3 that much? Then it must be good. I'm buying the SE next week. Anticipation HIGH.

Solid said:
You like DMC3 that much? Then it must be good. I'm buying the SE next week. Anticipation HIGH.

Yep they're the only team that's actually been able to properly get the fight mechanics needed for this type of game. With move set Dante has you can go through the game without seeing alot of repeating in the moves once you get them down unlike other games of this type. It actually makes other action games hard to play which is why alot of DMC fans are so picky when it comes to them.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Solid said:

It could be that the game is already in stores actually! Well at least in Belgium it is. I just called my local shop and they already had the SE in stock since yesterday, strangely enough. I'm getting it later today, since all the media of DMC4 made me want to get get some DMC goodness again.

Aske

SnakeXs said:

An emphatic yes to all this, but especially to action puzzle solving. I loved DMC 3, but I'm not compelled to play over and over again - which is frustrating given all the rewards in the SE. And yet all these years later, I still find myself returning to the first game to relive it time after time because it's so perfectly crafted.

DMC 3 enemies felt so samey when compared to those of the first game. DMC 1 featured less enemy types, but much more variety between each of them. The game forced you to play much more tactically, and I really missed that in DMC 3.

I would love to see the Shadows revamped and brought back in DMC 4. An Uber-Shadow boss would do. But I'd be more than content with new Shadow-like enemies that require a bit more thought alongside the adrenaline.

Also...make Devil Triggering fun again. The shitty Air Raid in DMC 3 felt like a slap in the face.

Aske

Oh no. In the trailer - during what sounds like a conversation between Dante and Nero - do I hear DMC 3 Dante's voice actor back in the role? If so...that's a bad thing. Now an older Dante sounds younger than he did in DMC1. If they must have a previous voice actor, bring back Drew Coombs FFS. But this incarnation of Dante looks like his voice should really have aged much harder - should be a bit of gravel in there.

I quite like Nero's voice though. Shame about the way he delivers the 'arm changed' line, but besides that he seems like a pretty solid all-but-Dante.

Solid said:

The combat system for DMC3 is one of the best systems in any action game, ever.

What DMC3 really needed was a mode where Hells would spawn endlessly, and you could beat them up to your heart's delight. Closest we got was the Crystal Skull room in Mission 7.

keanerie

Holtz said:
Man, the milkman (damn, what a stupid nickname) is so full of shit. His analysis of DMC4 is so biased it's not even funny. And DMC3 a 7/10?! WTF?! The guy couldn't be more of a ridiculous fanboy if he tried.

Actually, Mielke gave DMC3SE a 9 - he'd had beef with the checkpoint system in 3, Capcom fixed it and that was enough to make it a 9/10. I'm not saying I agree with him, I'm just saying he's not as biased as you might think he is. And considering how much he gushed about DMC1 in his Kamiya-related articles, I'd say he's far from being a fanboy.

Personally, DMC3 is the best action game ever, and probably my favorite game of the last generation. 4 seems to be shaping up extremely well - if it's the same core gameplay as 3 with some new mechanics (and the demo doesn't seem to offer much of an accurate picture of how combat will be in the end - wasn't the whole Acceleration system with the Red Queen missing from it? and without weapon switching as an option there goes like 90% of your combo options), and better atmosphere and what actually sounds like an intriguing story, then it should turn out to be awesome as well. (Game also needs a practice mode, dammit).

And yeah, that is the VA from DMC3 for Dante, just speaking it a more gruff, lower register. Basically sounds like DMC3 Dante started smoking cigarettes. And yes, I'd rather have him Drew Coombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom