• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superman is coming to Supergirl in Season 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like it could very well end up being a pseudo-backdoor pilot to a Superman TV series in case they end up cancelling the Supergirl series. Really, the budget would practically be the same as Supergirl and Superman have the same power set, with the only difference being that Superman would probably draw far more viewers than Supergirl.

Will never happen. It's Berlanti's female-led show. They won't replace it with Superman.

Busty

Banned
What..are you talking about?

Having a Superman onscreen (on the CW no less) is going to devalue the character as a cinematic property. No doubt it.

There's no way that they'd ever have 'a Batman' turn up on a CW show, in theory, because it would devalue the character's drawing power as well as pissing of Affleck.

I'm utterly baffled as to WB's thinking behind this.

I think it's worth remembering that back in the day the WB Network wanted to make a live action Bruce Wayne show (about a teenage Bruce and co) the film division stopped it fearing that it would devalue the still to be released Batman Begins.

strafer

As you can see, the Matt Bomer idea is not that bad.

He wont have trouble being one of the Supermen.

vtDgFg5.jpg

DrBo42

It sounds like it could very well end up being a pseudo-backdoor pilot to a Superman TV series in case they end up cancelling the Supergirl series. Really, the budget would practically be the same as Supergirl and Superman have the same power set, with the only difference being that Superman would probably draw far more viewers than Supergirl.
I feel like he just wouldn't work in a stand-alone series based on the adult experienced version. Part of the reason Supergirl works is that she can fail as she's growing as a hero and Benoist is great/super likeable. Superman of course can fail too but he seems much harder to write well for live action. Especially when you're bound to a TV budget when he's already an established hero.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Awesome news. Hope to god they nail the casting.

Honestly I wouldn't be 100% shocked if they used Welling. I know he was interviewed this past year and asked if he would want to do it and he wasn't against it. I'm sure that also has to do with his career being kinda whatever now lol

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
As you can see, the Matt Bomer idea is not that bad.

He wont have trouble being one of the Supermen.

vtDgFg5.jpg

Bomer looked nothing like Superman in that Superman Returns Japan car tv spot He looked like someone cosplaying in a Returns outfit imo. He's far smaller in build ( even after working out) & frame than the other 3 guys.

Superboy more like it.

It was getting quite frustrating how Supegirl had to dance around Superman's lack of appearance in S1. I'd love to see Lois with Lucy, too.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Having a Superman onscreen (on the CW no less) is going to devalue the character as a cinematic property. No doubt it.

There's no way that they'd ever have 'a Batman' turn up on a CW show, in theory, because it would devalue the character's drawing power as well as pissing of Affleck.

I think it's worth remembering that back in the day the WB Network wanted to make a live action Bruce Wayne show (about a teenage Bruce and co) the film division stopped it fearing that it would devalue the still to be released Batman Begins.

Maybe they realized that there isn't a proof that bares that out? Batman devalued itself just fine in the 90s without a TV series.

Audiences are more sophisticated now more than ever. A two episode cameo on a CW show is going to have very little impact on the future of Superman. Honestly, what is the best case scenario for ratings on this?

The TV shows do well and keep people invested in the franchises, as well as educate them about more obscure characters. But I don't think people see a bad interpretation of a character on a CW show and say "Oh man, well I definitely don't want to see them in the film now." It would be an issue if the DC universe connected TV and film, but they don't. That's why Marvel plays it so safe. Characters that have very little chance of appearing in their own movies are the ones with shows. If it flops and isn't accepted, whoops. *sweeps under the rug*

This is always going to be small potatoes compared to the movies. It's a footnote on the history of the character, not some dramatic shift.

Matrix

Yea cause they didn't do that already by fucking Supes over on the big screen without a true & proper solo Man of Steel 2.

At this point the more Supes we can get the better in any form of entertainment if you're a fan of the character.

Busty

Banned
This is always going to be small potatoes compared to the movies. It's a footnote on the history of the character, not some dramatic shift.

Maybe. I know the shows are actually big hits, globally speaking, but it still feels a little like the studio are maybe downgrading Superman a little with this move.

I could be wrong. Maybe this is all part of WB's new strategy moving forward with Johns exerting more influence?

Right now Superman onscreen as a cinematic character is hurting Superman as a cinematic property.

That's a fair point.

TDLink

Bomer looked nothing like Superman in that Superman Returns Japan car tv spot He looked like someone cosplaying in a Returns outfit imo. He's far smaller in build ( even after working out) & frame than the other 3 guys.

Superboy more like it.

Welling definitely did not have a great physique in the Superman suit when he finally wore it. Dean Cain never did either. Bomer looks the part and is a good actor, he'd be good in the role. At some point you have to acknowledge that comic book characters regularly have fantastical and unattainable physiques by the average real life human.

Aceun

Honestly, I would argue that Superman has had a much better track record on TV than he ever did with the movies.

Barring the original Donner film, my fondest memories of Supes were Lois & Clark and Smallville.

Superman's character can work really well in either a serialized or procedural fashion (or a nice blend of the two)

Ahasverus

The amount of people who watch Supergirl compared to the public for Superman movies is so, so, so very tiny, that the need for embargo is a fever dream.

kunonabi

Welling definitely did not have a great physique in the Superman suit when he finally wore it. Dean Cain never did either. Bomer looks the part and is a good actor, he'd be good in the role. At some point you have to acknowledge that comic book characters regularly have fantastical and unattainable physiques by the average real life human.

Season 7 Welling with a bit more definition would look just fine in the suit.

Welling was too just busy with directing and producing to keep himself in shape for the finale. He would be in a much better position to try and get back in shape now if he wanted to.

Soodanim

I barely watched Supergirl (not sure it's finished in the UK yet) but from what I have I've seen a few scenes, like where Kara is surrounded by
Kryptonians
and I think all she was would need to do is shout Kal and shit would go down.

tumblr_nm6y55cexJ1thcdsgo1_500.gif

Guy is supposed to be as awesome as Ray in real life, he even has already said he wants to do a Superman team-up with a lot of winks and references.
It would be worth it purely for a "Hey guys, do you think I could pull off that suit?" joke.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
He would be in a much better position to try and get back in shape now if he wanted to.

Not really. Superman is appearing in the first two episodes, he would have about a month. Whoever they pick needs to be ready now.

MisterHero

Honestly, I would argue that Superman has had a much better track record on TV than he ever did with the movies.

Barring the original Donner film, my fondest memories of Supes were Lois & Clark and Smallville.

Superman's character can work really well in either a serialized or procedural fashion (or a nice blend of the two)
TV as a medium affords way more time to have different storylines, enemies, lore, etc. The DCCU movies could be the greatest things ever and still not hold a candle to serialized stories. The movies will NEVER get to things like Mr. Myxzptlk for example, or his evolution from evil prankster to Superman's comedic sidekick.

Bat-Mite has gotten more exposure in the last few years, and it tears me up inside!

Matrix

Welling, can you really say he wore it? a shirt rip lol the rest was shitty cgi

Cain... I don't even consider Superman.

I just don't see Bomer in the role and never have. He comes across as too boyish to me, sorta like Cain did.

WedgeX

Banned
So Superman is going to die in the second episode of next season?

I will be very unhappy if this happens.

Unless they bring him back later on and then introduce the Real Hank Henshaw, Superboy, Eradicator, and Steel.

Then it would be okay.

TDLink

Season 7 Welling with a bit more definition would look just fine in the suit.

Welling was too just busy with directing and producing to keep himself in shape for the finale. He would be in a much better position to try and get back in shape now if he wanted to.
Welling, can you really say he wore it? a shirt rip lol the rest was shitty cgi

Cain... I don't even consider Superman.

I just don't see Bomer in the role and never have. He comes across as too boyish to me, sorta like Cain did.

Whether you consider him Superman or not, Cain played the character for years. If Welling primarily was CGed into the suit in that last episode then I think that says even more about how he didn't really fit into it.

Again though, it's dumb to have these unrealistic expectations for actors to look like inhuman Body builders. The proportions of comic book characters are unrealistic. Very few actors can attain them and fewer still can maintain them. All of these leads in superhero films are put on ridiculous training regiments and likely take some HGH as well, and they still don't maintain the same size throughout filming. Chris Evans has even talked about how he goes directly from working out into his shirtless scenes because otherwise that look is impossible.

On a TV schedule it is even more unreasonable to expect an actor to look like that. The budget is lower and the network doesn't have the same kind of money as a film studio to throw at personal trainers for a lead, much less a guest spot. TV cast and crew also don't have much time to do anything other than the specific show they're working on. Those are 12+ hour days.

You have to be a bit realistic.

Matrix

So Superman is going to die in the second episode of next season?

I will be very unhappy if this happens.

Unless they bring him back later on and then introduce the Real Hank Henshaw, Superboy, Eradicator, and Steel.

Then it would be okay.

Multiverse, you don't have to kill him off.

It's gonna be hillarious if/when the CW has a better live-action take on Superman than WB.

that won't and isn't true for many reasons.

Dean Cain if he still looks the part.

nah saw him in person recently, he's fat and pretty short. doesn't (never did) look the part at all.

now this might be hard to understand, after all this is a vey complicated concept but I'll try to make it clear....you see............i liked them.

nobody was attacking your (questionable) personal taste, just stating that those episodes were crap.

This has confusing disaster written all over it. Superman should be reserved for cinematic outings only.

What happened to all the talk of WB bringing in a 'name' filmmaker to soft reboot Superman with a Man Of Steel sequel?

I'm not feeling this at all.

that was never a rumor.

Matrix

Whether you consider him Superman or not, Cain played the character for years. If Welling primarily was CGed into the suit in that last episode then I think that says even more about how he didn't really fit into it.

Again though, it's dumb to have these unrealistic expectations for actors to look like inhuman Body builders. The proportions of comic book characters are unrealistic. Very few actors can attain them and fewer still can maintain them. All of these leads in superhero films are put on ridiculous training regiments and likely take some HGH as well, and they still don't maintain the same size throughout filming. Chris Evans has even talked about how he goes directly from working out into his shirtless scenes because otherwise that look is impossible.

On a TV schedule it is even more unreasonable to expect an actor to look like that. The budget is lower and the network doesn't have the same kind of money as a film studio to throw at personal trainers for a lead, much less a guest spot. TV cast and crew also don't have much time to do anything other than the specific show they're working on. Those are 12+ hour days.

You have to be a bit realistic.

How's this... I don't like Bomer as an actor though you do. Didn't care for him on Chuck when he was a spy, didn't care for his show on the USA network, it's more than just his form/looks. Also I don't care if Welling plays Supes or not to be honest.

There is a reason he's been passed up every single time to play Superman on film and it's not just his looks. He obviously hasn't nailed what WB was looking for all around.

edit- He did get a voice part in an animated Supes film as Supes ( Unbound) if I recall & he was decent. I'll say that.

Matrix

And yet the Arrowverse continues to murder its way through heroes. Wildcat excepted.

Arrow's writers are just awful now. Hoping the events on Flash and Supergirl coming over help fix some stuff on that show, but I think that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Should just get Routh to take another shot at Donner supes. It's not like him and Palmer are anything alike anyways lol. And he'll only appear in supergirl for a bit I imagine.

Ashhong

I disagree, especially if they are going to keep the Universes separate. I also find it funny that you think having a Batman would piss off Affleck...like, why would it? How do you know this?

But my original question was referring to your comment about rebooting Superman after MoS, when was this talked about?

that won't and isn't true for many reasons.

I guarantee you that this Superman will be the Donner style and people will love it, or at least pretend to, and say "CW does Superman better than WB/DC! LOLOL". Going to be annoying.

PreFire

It's happening!

But.. Here's the but.. Will he be coming up with some lame excuse to leave earth for an undefined amount of time? That way, if the world is gonna end, it's not him to comes, it's Kara lol

"I believe in you, Kara. You're stronger than me. Now, I'm off to bathe in the sun for ten years. Take care of Earth while I'm gone."

Superman finally exists in arrowverse. Now they gotta acknowledge his existence.. Depending on how Supergirl's earth gets merged into the arrowverse.

Tom Welling would be awesome, but I remember reading somewhere that he wouldn't wear a full on superman costume.

Hope to god it's not Matt Bomer, Joe Manganiello on the other hand..

I'm glad this is happening, I'd really only be upset if it was some new introduction, but they've mentioned him since season one and just danced around his actual appearance in the most silly way possible. I'd rather they commit themselves or just not do Superman at all instead of this weird half ass thing.

We need that Mary Marvel tho, especially since she inspired Supergirl's creation.

It would be sweet if Superman left Supergirl and joined Arrow. Then we can get 99% relationship rubbish while Supes comes in at the end of each arc and cleans up.

Matrix

I disagree, especially if they are going to keep the Universes separate. I also find it funny that you think having a Batman would piss off Affleck...like, why would it? How do you know this?

But my original question was referring to your comment about rebooting Superman after MoS, when was this talked about?

I guarantee you that this Superman will be the Donner style and people will love it, or at least pretend to, and say "CW does Superman better than WB/DC! LOLOL". Going to be annoying.

Maybe they won't if he doesn't throw a punch :p , then again you can't win with a Supes who throws too many smh I can totally see what you're saying happening and it will be annoying as hell.

Matrix

It's happening!

But.. Here's the but.. Will he be coming up with some lame excuse to leave earth for an undefined amount of time? That way, if the world is gonna end, it's not him to comes, it's Kara lol

"I believe in you, Kara. You're stronger than me. Now, I'm off to bathe in the sun for ten years. Take care of Earth while I'm gone."

Superman finally exists in arrowverse. Now they gotta acknowledge his existence.. Depending on how Supergirl's earth gets merged into the arrowverse.

Tom Welling would be awesome, but I remember reading somewhere that he wouldn't wear a full on superman costume.

Hope to god it's not Matt Bomer, Joe Manganiello on the other hand..

Yea when he was on Smaillville he 100% said that. I think he also got out of shape near the end so he wouldn't have to suit up & gave us a shirt rip instead. He was interviewed the past year and was open to possibly doing it if they asked him, when the show was still on CBS. He didn't flat out say no this time to wearing the suit and he seems to be in shape again despite being even older. Most likely just wants some work lol or realizes now that wearing a suit is something that's not laughed at much anymore.

Matrix

i cant wait for felicity and superman to get married !!

Then Superman by mistake crushes her while having sex and the DCU tverse will be a better place.

Bluth54

It's about time, the way they were handling Superman on Supergirl was pretty awful.

Maybe even more exciting is the thought the the fact that DC may let different versions of a character appear in both the movie universe and the TV universe.

Maybe even more exciting is the thought the the fact that DC may let different versions of a character appear in both the movie universe and the TV universe.

They did that in 2006.

Again, the Superman they've shown in Supergirl isn't some jacked specimen of modern masculinity, at least not according to his silhouette and the fleeting looks at his shape from the neck down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom