• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swine Flu pandemic approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
devilhawk said:
Good luck finding some N95 masks. I got a hold of one that I keep sealed just in case. The government has bought them all up and even hospitals are having a hard time increasing stock. Cipro, tamiflu, and N95 masks would definitely be in my zombie kit. That and shotguns and shells.

ebay

Hootie

Wow a lot of SAT test centers are closed today due to the virus, even one here in Rhode Island. Luckily I'm not taking it at that one though.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8030365.stm

Mexico has revised down the suspected death toll from swine flu from 176 to 101, indicating that the outbreak may not be as bad as was initially feared.

Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova told the BBC that, based on samples tested, the mortality rate was comparable with that of seasonal flu.

The news came as Mexico continues a five-day shutdown in an attempt to contain the spread of the virus.

pandemic

DCX

DCX
LuCkymoON said:
fuck that!
This is what I will be using
clip_image002_0001.jpg
Dharma Masks? It didn't help when Ben fucked the DI back in the day :/

DCX

devilhawk said:
Good luck finding some N95 masks. I got a hold of one that I keep sealed just in case. The government has bought them all up and even hospitals are having a hard time increasing stock. Cipro, tamiflu, and N95 masks would definitely be in my zombie kit. That and shotguns and shells.
And a cricket bat, I hope.

Sapiens

Whatever. It's not like people from Mexico have an easy time getting into the states anways. We should be okay.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
WHO seriously needs to revamp their warning level system. It doesn't at all take into account any sort of numbers. That's ridiculous.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
devilhawk said:
To hell with Cipro. My urologist prescribed it for my UTI, and I'm still burning like the morning sun.

D:

mrkgoo

hockeypuck said:
I feel like adding fuel to this fire.

Whenever I see news photos of lay people with masks, they're wearing basic stuff like this:
2nq8bie.jpg

Masks like these are actually optimized to prevent spread (i.e., those already infected).

If you want to survive the impending zombie apocalypse, then you need one of these bad boys:
14ctq1s.jpg

The Type N95 respirator. Even has a cool name. Looks like a basic painter's mask, but this one is more heavy-duty. Whenever health staff visit patients with tuberculosis in their negative-pressure isolation chambers, they wear these things, which are relatively more air-tight on the sides. Good enough for TB, good enough for flu and cheaper than a gas mask.

hahaha.

Well, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the infectious agent that causes TB is a gram-positive bacillus bacteria. For scale, I'll use an analogy I got from a recent podcast (Futures in Biotech) - If a typical virus particle was the size of your fist, then a cell would be the size of half the empire state building. Granted, he was probably refering to eukaryotic cells vs. prokaryotic, but bacterial cells are actually pretty big in comparison to viral particles too, so if something can filter out bacteria, that doesn't necessarily mean it can filter out virus particles.

mrkgoo

nyong said:
Me too, after my run. I'm going to laugh my ass off if come Monday everyone is walking around with a mask on.

You know, you may laugh, but technically it IS a safe thing to do. More people should adopt the hypochondriac asian trend of wearing masks, at least when THEY are sick.

nyong

Banned
mrkgoo said:
You know, you may laugh, but technically it IS a safe thing to do. More people should adopt the hypochondriac asian trend of wearing masks, at least when THEY are sick.

You're probably right. I was stationed near Tokyo for awhile. I really did think it was a good idea at the time, considering the proximity to other people. I'm mostly wondering whether people are going to start freaking out.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
in daily life there is always a balance between safety and looking like an idiot. otherwise we would all wear helmets all day

nyong said:
Oh snap, shit just got real. That's my school.
Did you get the campus-wise email sent out? I don't know if it'll spread because the kid was sent home and kept there until he got better. I'm living on campus and a friend of mine had a fever yesterday... thankfully it was just violent strep.

Barrett2

Haha, I just found out the elementary school in Houston I attended as a kid, and at which I have 3 nieces / nephews currently attending has been shut down for three weeks because of a possible infection. Looks like early summer party time for my nephews & niece.

MIMIC

Banned
I think I have swine flu. I was with a bunch of people last night and after I got back, I vomited a few times. Even this morning, I felt like shit.

...or maybe I'm just hungover.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MIMIC said:
I think I have swine flu. I was with a bunch of people last night and after I got back, I vomited a few times. Even this morning, I felt like shit.

The only answer is to shut down your workplace/school for three weeks and quarantine your entire neighborhood/building.

nyong

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Did you get the campus-wise email sent out? I don't know if it'll spread because the kid was sent home and kept there until he got better. I'm living on campus and a friend of mine had a fever yesterday... thankfully it was just violent strep.

No email, but there is a link on the UO homepage. It's business as usual for now on campus.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Well this is interesting:

The local High School here (South FL) has a DECA group. They're in charge of organizing events and designing the yearbooks, so on and so forth; after school club kind of thing. They just went on their end of the school year trip, this time to California. The trip is now over but they're not allowed to come back home until they're proven to not be infected with the Swine flu.

The kids are going to miss their graduation ceremony because of this. :lol

I guess they quarantined them so as not to spread it to this part of Florida? We have no cases in this part of FL yet so ....

Dead Man

kozmo7 said:
Well this is interesting:

The local High School here (South FL) has a DECA group. They're in charge of organizing events and designing the yearbooks, so on and so forth; after school club kind of thing. They just went on their end of the school year trip, this time to California. The trip is now over but they're not allowed to come back home until they're proven to not be infected with the Swine flu.

The kids are going to miss their graduation ceremony because of this. :lol

I guess they quarantined them so as not to spread it to this part of Florida? We have no cases in this part of FL yet so ....
Who told them they can't come back?

mrkgoo said:
Well, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the infectious agent that causes TB is a gram-positive bacillus bacteria. For scale, I'll use an analogy I got from a recent podcast (Futures in Biotech) - If a typical virus particle was the size of your fist, then a cell would be the size of half the empire state building. Granted, he was probably refering to eukaryotic cells vs. prokaryotic, but bacterial cells are actually pretty big in comparison to viral particles too, so if something can filter out bacteria, that doesn't necessarily mean it can filter out virus particles.
Acid fast > Gram
No simple mask is going to be particularly effective against viruses. But the CDC and WHO both recommend N95 or more complex masks for viral protection, despite typical protection being less than 10X.

Okay, enough seriousness from me. Back to throwing gasoline.

NotWii

Banned
hockeypuck said:
Acid fast > Gram
No simple mask is going to be particularly effective against viruses. But the CDC and WHO both recommend N95 or more complex masks for viral protection, despite typical protection being less than 10X.

I heard N95 masks can't filter influenza, but they can help keep influenza to yourself (if you sneeze/cough) on naturalnews.com or something

I heard that N100 masks do a much better job, but a gas mask is best.

Can anyone confirm?

mrkgoo

hockeypuck said:
Acid fast > Gram

Well, true. Due to the high mycolic acid content of Mycobacteria cell walls, M. tb actually weakly retains gram stain. I guess the idea is that your spit and breath may be at least somewhat contained.

nyong said:
No email, but there is a link on the UO homepage. It's business as usual for now on campus.
Yeah. I'm not stressing. It was only a "suspected" case. No other cases have been reported so far.

Kevtones

mrkgoo said:

:lol I'm not that concerned if only for the reason I've had unrelated health issues for about 8 months here... If anyone was going to get sick from the Swine Flu, it'd be me. Luckily, I'm fantastic at being contagious so goodbye Lane County!

Well I just heard a rumour they are testing someone for a possible case of swine flu at my university. I swear to god if they delay finals I will be fucking pissed.

MNC

MIMIC said:

You keep that vomiting to a single topic!

Edit: Holy shit at belgium :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom