• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution PS3 Excusive Free To Play 6/11/13

Interesting. In 10 years supporting XBL I received 2 XBLA games, a stupid avatar helmet, and a chance to win one of the 10th anniversary consoles (not even the opportunity to just buy one as thanks for my support). Was so insulted that I didn't even register for the chance to win the console.

Just got a White 500GB PS3 with the year of free PS+ and already have more excellent complimentary content in two weeks than MS gave in 10 years.

But then what happens what you try to get them into "real" Tekken?

I just don't see this working well.

Well that's why Im hoping. Since they won't have any of the BS in a real tekken game, I doubt they could really transition.

^ And I didn't even think of this...

Zukuu

Banned
RPG elements + Bound system still intact = huge bummer. :<

Tekken 5 was the last decent entry in the series imo with T4 being the best system and mode-wise. (Tho, missing Tekken Ball)

RPG elements + Bound system still intact = huge bummer. :<

Tekken 5 was the last decent entry in the series imo with T4 being the best system and mode-wise. (Tho, missing Tekken Ball)

Don't start...Tekken 4 was far from the best system....everything else was nice though.

PopInnovation

Neo Member
But then what happens what you try to get them into "real" Tekken?

I just don't see this working well.

I still think it's a very good medium to act as a stepping stone for those who love Tekken but find games like TTT2 just way too overwhelming. It might not be a quick transition, but it will give newer players a chance to start building basics (movement, how to block, punish, etc). Once they then jump in with the "big boys" a lot of the game is going to make sense to them.

Additionally it will help to grow interest for the series overall, and maybe not for TTT2, but it could lead to greater sales for the next Tekken (be it TxSF or whatever).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't even understand what the point of this game is.

What is the appeal exactly?

Being free they wont get any ill will, and it will let them build up new players to the tekken franchise. This will also let them test out new mechanics with no downsides.

Be a little more open minded :p

Being free they wont get any ill will, and it will let them build up new players to the tekken franchise. This will also let them test out new mechanics with no downsides.

F2P is not a direction I'm eager to see fighting games go in.

alstein

Tekken does have to try some new things. After TTT2, they can't just keep adding more stuff to the same model.

So, while I'm really skeptical about the F2P elements given how they sound, having a non-competitive fighter they can muck around in , and Tekken vs SF, will help them transition/ get folks used to the changes in Tekken 7, which I'm sure will be controversial.

I can't think of any fighter that heavily changed mechanics that didn't have a large amount of the old playerbase hating on it.

FroJay

Banned
Interesting. In 10 years supporting XBL I received 2 XBLA games, a stupid avatar helmet, and a chance to win one of the 10th anniversary consoles (not even the opportunity to just buy one as thanks for my support). Was so insulted that I didn't even register for the chance to win the console.

Just got a White 500GB PS3 with the year of free PS+ and already have more excellent complimentary content in two weeks than MS gave in 10 years.

Kind of wondering why I haven't jumped ship yet to PS3. Sony is throwing stuff at customers.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
F2P is not a direction I'm eager to see fighting games go in.

I don't mind it as long as training mode lets you play what ever and there are discount "normal price" full releases. I rarely use more than 2 or 3 characters in a game.

I just don't want it to be f2p only style because it cockblocks tournaments.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 said:
ZO9jZ0E.jpg
Tekken Revolution said:
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 said:
Tekken Revolution said:
This reminds me...I remember Harada saying that the girls in Tekken X Street Fighter were going to have much "cuter" looking faces than you'd usually see in the Tekken series. I wonder if these new models were/are supposed to be from it? Hmm...

Anyway, day 1 download for me.

Also, while the thread title change fixed the game title from Evolution to Revolution, it still says "Excusive." Hah.

alstein

The best F2P model for a 3D fighter would be to have costume part packs that you sell (each char gets something in all the packs, so you have to buy as many as possible) that you put out monthly or so.

Don't touch the gameplay. VF or SC would work best with this model.

AAK

I'll keep an open mind... but looking at the overall mechanics and direction my brain is telling me this version is not for me.

neither

I'll try it out. It is free after all.
I hope that all the characters + moves are free and the customization is the part you pay for.
Edit:
Choose from an initial cast of eight iconic TEKKEN characters
Ughh :(

If they are going to sell customization stuff, they are going to have to really step up their game. I'd gladly spend $20 on a customization pack for TTT2 if it added a ton of new things. And I mean a lot. Like 10x more than what exists now.

:/

It looks like TxSF is dead and they used its mangled remains to patch together a quick and dirty Tekken spinoff.

No Mishima's included in the 8 starting characters confirms this is not one for long time fans.

No Baek, so I'm stuck with Paul for the time being...

No Heihachi either. Or Eddie/Christie. The latter is a good thing.

The limited roster will definitely help new players. Pnly having tonget used to fighting 8 characters is a lot better than 59.

OmahaG8

Same boat, more or less (10+ years). Makes you realign things.

AAK

So, is this confirmed to be the fighting game that Namco is showing at E³?

I'm gonna go ahead and say yes to this... unless they're going to announce a new Fighting Game IP or a new Soul Calibur. Judging by the likelihood of the latter scenarios I'm sure you can see why I came to my conclusion.

Krackatoa

I'm so excited for them to have a go at this business model. I've been saying that companies should be doing this for years, and that the Namco engines (Soul Calibur and Tekken) are primed and ready to go. This is thanks to their skeletal systems that give them the cosmetic inroads that make for a successful F2P model.

I hope they do this for Soul Calibur VI. Sure, allow for the purchase of the full game, but give players who don't want to shell the ability to boost the online playerbase with a limited roster and slower-to-unlock customization options.

I play fighting games more for the competition, but even I'm drawn into the whole "craft your fighter" when the engine is balanced (Customized characters with "Playstyles", such as "Soul of Yoshimitsu" or "Soul of Astaroth" is practically fool-proof, while still providing that customizable vanity goo).

RM8

You know, I'm actually somewhat interested now with the new stuff they announced. This is obviously not a "real" substitute for main Tekken games, and being free I really think this game can't be harmful to the series. Will download :p

SkylineRKR

Perkel asked for RPG elements, Harada delivers. lol.

But I don't see the problem, this is an experiment and its free. If the base game sucks, then I won't invest in it. But perhaps it turns out to be a fun fighter with good netcode.

Perkel

Banned
The best F2P model for a 3D fighter would be to have costume part packs that you sell (each char gets something in all the packs, so you have to buy as many as possible) that you put out monthly or so.

Don't touch the gameplay. VF or SC would work best with this model.

Yeah. Path of exile works like that and i see that Tekken with proper F2P (not P2W like here) big community would be actually amazing thing.

Perkel asked for RPG elements, Harada delivers. lol.

But I don't see the problem, this is an experiment and its free. If the base game sucks, then I won't invest in it. But perhaps it turns out to be a fun fighter with good netcode.

lol yeah but not like this and my version of "progression" mechanics would be only used to get new players into game where predefined characters still would be set in stone and all people would use them to fight competitively.

This thing looks like shit imo.

ryuzaki57

Banned
For the first time in TEKKEN history players will be able to level-up their characters, increasing three key attributes; Strength, Endurance and Vigor

WTF is this!? Matchmaking has better be VERY efficient.

The game also features new bone-crunching Special Arts and Critical Arts moves designed to help newcomers deliver hard-hitting attacks

This is what made SCV a terrible game. Guess I won't play many fighting games if this trend continues. Fortunately there are games like DOA5 that DON'T favor noobs.

Doomshine

I'm ok with this, it's meant to bring in new players and all this stuff they are trying won't conflict TTT2... and you know, it's free.

I don't know why people keep saying that TxSF is dead because of this, Harada has said a couple of times that it might be a next gen game.

I think Tekken Card Tournament had something like that. An endurance bar that would drain the more games you played, once it's dried up you couldn't play until the next day.

Could be wrong on the details of it though, I haven't touched TCT in a long while.

I think each stamina bar requires in 20 minutes, so a 100 minutes to recover it fully.

Top Bottom