• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution PS3 Excusive Free To Play 6/11/13

alstein

The super moves weren't the problem with SCV, though they didn't really make the game better.

SCV had issues in other areas (balance, roster, pared movelists, too powerful oki)

Ron K

The best F2P model for a 3D fighter would be to have costume part packs that you sell (each char gets something in all the packs, so you have to buy as many as possible) that you put out monthly or so.

Don't touch the gameplay. VF or SC would work best with this model.

I'm curious how VF5 fared by using a somewhat kind of similar model...the game itself being $15 with full costume packs costing the same (or maybe more? I don't remember).

Or maybe a much closer comparison - I wonder what kind of sell through they had for PlayStation Plus members since the game was free the day it released and costumes were discounted while it was available.

Lumine

As a Tekken fan, I'm not liking any of this. Hopefully people are right that this is more of an experiment than the future of Tekken.

For free, how can you complain? Looks good, especially for free. I am disappointed that there are no Nina or Anna Williams though. :( I really think this game is a test for Tekken 7 or future Tekkens. Maybe they are changing it around a little to see if casuals can pick this version up better than TTT2 or make the gameplay mechanics easier to comprehend? Maybe this is a sample or test for a potential "reboot" to draw more players in? Nothing confirmed yet obviously, but didn't a lot of people complain including the professionals that TTT2 was too hard to play? This might be the results.

Cheddahz

Banned
The second trailer's music (first song) remind me alot of the Tekken 3 OST, but hey if a F2P will make my friends play Tekken with me, then I'm fine with it...though I wish they would just get TTT2 now

HwQS9hp.png

Paint is a crap program.

Monocle

I'm not sure how to react to this. I mean, ignoring the fact that I won't be able to play the game myself (no PS3), it just feels like a new thing that nobody really asked for. Like a free fork with two handles. Thanks, but I already have a one-handled fork that works fine. TTT2 was released fairly recently and it's amazing.

I guess maybe we can think about this as an experiment whose outcome might shape later Tekken sequels. If TR becomes huge, then it seems a safe bet that the next numbered Tekken will incorporate some of its elements. For better or worse.

I have a conservative attitude toward fighting games: if it's not broken, don't try to fix it. Don't pile on extraneous features or impose change for the sake of change. It's true that Tekken has an accessibility problem, in that new players tend to be overwhelmed by the huge roster, giant move lists, and challenging juggle system, but a comprehensive tutorial and a more robust practice mode are the obvious solutions there.

This reminds me...I remember Harada saying that the girls in Tekken X Street Fighter were going to have much "cuter" looking faces than you'd usually see in the Tekken series. I wonder if these new models were/are supposed to be from it? Hmm...

Anyway, day 1 download for me.

Also, while the thread title change fixed the game title from Evolution to Revolution, it still says "Excusive." Hah.

They have the same face now, great... :(

The_Monk

I hope it's not too big regarding HDD space. Dead or Alive seems to have an ok size so I hope this one to be similar regarding the space taken.

Will try of course, thanks for posting this fellow GAFfer!

Deps

I think this is mostly a test for TxSF rather than T7. A lot of 2D players will be interested in TxSF, and this could be a way for those players to try a 3D game. I also doubt they would implement a lot of the crazy ideas into T7. Tekken makes a large portion of its money in arcades, and I don't think stats and shit would sit too well with arcade players.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Day 1 for Lili <3

Not sure if I want supers or them stat things in my Tekken though....

udllpn

I used to play Tekken 3 a lot, back in the PSX days. I think I've only played a bit with the fourth game after that.

Pachimari

I'm a Tekken fan and I really love that they're doing this. Bring in more and new players to the franchise.

It would of been even better, if they would test their gameplay experiments in Tekken Revolution before implementing them in the mainline games.

Also, I absolutely love Tekken Card Tournament.

So going by the trailer I'm assuming the characters shown are the ones you start with? Alisa is the only character I know how to use, so if she is a default that'd be perfect.

kick51

Banned
For free, how can you complain? Looks good, especially for free. I am disappointed that there are no Nina or Anna Williams though. :( I really think this game is a test for Tekken 7 or future Tekkens. Maybe they are changing it around a little to see if casuals can pick this version up better than TTT2 or make the gameplay mechanics easier to comprehend? Maybe this is a sample or test for a potential "reboot" to draw more players in? Nothing confirmed yet obviously, but didn't a lot of people complain including the professionals that TTT2 was too hard to play? This might be the results.

I highly doubt it's any of that at all (and I don't recall any TTT2 tourney players complaining about it being "too hard.") Tekken still prints money at arcades. That's why when a console version of Tekken bombs, they can just come right back and make another.

If anything, this is probably just to have an alternate version out there that's monetized out the butt. They're seeing if the same weirdos that drop tons of money on other F2P games will do it with a fighting game. Stats, costumes, XP, characters to purchase-- it's just another money generating F2P game. The super moves and such suggest this is not some game meant to wean casuals onto the main series.

Manbig

I highly doubt it's any of that at all (and I don't recall any TTT2 tourney players complaining about it being "too hard.") Tekken still prints money at arcades. That's why when a console version of Tekken bombs, they can just come right back and make another.

If anything, this is probably just to have an alternate version out there that's monetized out the butt. They're seeing if the same weirdos that drop tons of money on other F2P games will do it with a fighting game. Stats, costumes, XP, characters to purchase-- it's just another money generating F2P game. The super moves and such suggest this is not some game meant to wean casuals onto the main series.

There's been lots of tourney players complaining that Tag 2 is too hard. This is why Reno even brought it up during his interview with JDCR.

On another note, they can fuck off with adding Lars as an "iconic" Tekken character, but missing so many better choices for that starting roster.

SkylineRKR

Best gameplay indeed, worst content ever, though : (

Which is why an SCV: Complete edition would've been the best in the series. Add a proper arcade mode, a mission mode, and some old favourites such as Talim, Kilik, Taki and they would be at the top.

My thoughts on the roster

Already use these characters so glad they're back: Lili, Lars, Asuka
Plan on using at some point: Paul, Steve
Don't care honestly: Marshall, King, Alisa

Khezu

Are Lars and Alisa super popular in Japan or something? They always seem to have the spotlight in anything Tekken related.

Drachma

Banned
Hmmm... I remember there was some rumour a while back about a Vita version of TTT2, but I'm wondering now if they're maybe planning on releasing this on Vita as well at some point instead. Cross play and shit in there... could work... F2P games seem to be popping up on Vita a lot these days.

So I don't get it. Why is free to play 'bad' for the fighting genre?

pay2win stats/abilities/bonuses that basically separate the haves with dispoable incomes from the havenots who want to experiment or are new to the game

Like someone mentioned earlier, imagine you're a noob to the genre and the first guy you go up against online is a Paul player who has his sliding punch thing power boosted to 300% with life steal and paralysis-on-hit all because he dropped 10bux in the TekkenMart or whatever

hackdog

Banned
pay2win stats/abilities/bonuses that basically separate the haves with dispoable incomes from the havenots who want to experiment or are new to the game

Like someone mentioned earlier, imagine you're a noob to the genre and the first guy you go up against online is a Paul player who has his sliding punch thing power boosted to 300% with life steal and paralysis-on-hit all because he dropped 10bux in the TekkenMart or whatever

Okay I can see that as a negative but You'd still be able to play single-player and if you were seriously into competing in multiplayer/tourneys surely you'd be willing to fork out for those same things?
It just seems like a shareware type approach. Try the game without all the characters/perks and then pay to "enhance" the "experience" to something more complete.

Dahbomb

I don't think Tekken Revolution has a very robust single player.

Pay to enhance the experience in order to compete IS pay to win. Pay to win is the worst form of F2P model in existence.

That said F2P model using the DOTA 2/TF2 system for fighting games is perfect. I would play the hell out of that game if its decent.

if only they took out back dash cancelling or allowed blocking on backdashes so newcomers can actually play the game.

new players are just going to frustrated like i did and will play DoA5U when it comes out

Top Bottom