• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

finalflame

Fuck, the E7 is so much better. Not sure I can get a B6 after seeing that review and those comparisons :/ My bank account is about to weep.

Picking up a new TV today. I did get the Sony 55" XD93, which is pretty good, but with the recent price drops on the 55" OLEDS I'm looking to get either the B6 or C6.

I think I like the uniqueness of the C6, as I know LG are getting rid of the curved screen with the C7. It's quite a small curve, and the 3D adds and extra benefit as well.

Decisions......... :D

I found this vid. pretty interesting, maybe it helps you for your decision

https://youtu.be/GPlhOW-oq9M

Paz

I'm kinda glad the E7 doesn't have 3D because it makes me not care so much about the upgraded elements over my E6, the E6 (and other 6 models) are also the first time since leaving CRT that I'm genuinely happy with every aspect of a TV which also dulls my desire for upgrading.

Glad to see them rapidly improving though, will be happy to move up in several years when the differences are extreme :)

I'm kinda glad the E7 doesn't have 3D because it makes me not care so much about the upgraded elements over my E6, the E6 (and other 6 models) are also the first time since leaving CRT that I'm genuinely happy with every aspect of a TV which also dulls my desire for upgrading.

Glad to see them rapidly improving though, will be happy to move up in several years when the differences are extreme :)
This is my feeling. The LG OLED is the consumer electronics product I've had the least amount of buyer's remorse with ever.

The E7/W7 sets sound like nice improvements, bit of a disappointment that the review kind of makes it sound like the ultimate SDR TV, but not really that excellent for HDR.

holygeesus

Banned
The E7/W7 sets sound like nice improvements, bit of a disappointment that the review kind of makes it sound like the ultimate SDR TV, but not really that excellent for HDR.

Indeed. A darker but more accurate HDR image doesn't exactly sound that appetising to those who like their nits.

Indeed. A darker but more accurate HDR image doesn't exactly sound that appetising to those who like their nits.

It sounds like something they can change anyway, and LG are pretty good at responding if the need is there, but as it stands the 2016 sets handle HDR better if you are ok with a bit less detail, I'd be in that camp.

Jigolo

I guess the next gaming specific improvement we need besides lower input lag is enabling 4:4:4 chroma in game mode. Personally I think it should be enabled in game mode because it does make a difference in PQ for games. It might not matter on movies and TV but it's important to video games.

16.67ms > input lag
4:4:4 chroma
OLED response time
better motion handling

gaming bliss

master of all trades TV. But this for movies sports and TVs

John_B

Those LG sets are extremely tempting.

I will get one before PlayStation 5 surely, just waiting for a set with perfect chroma and VRR.

KevinG

It just looks like the back plastic wasn't clipped entirely in place. You should be able to press it into place until it clicks. Though that side is where the power supply PCB is and if the set does have a defective PS PCB, it should be a relatively simple fix (they'll just order the PCB replacement to install into the new set). LG will usually overnight the part and the install will take less than a half hour. I doubt you have a panel or input board problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You're putting my mind at ease, and I like that. Thank you!

Taggen86

Yeah it looks like it is going to be a wait for me though, as a B6 owner. I can't justify the massive outlay for those improvements, considering how expensive it will be here in the UK.

Also the motion not being improved at all is odd. I expect better from Sony on that front, but the price will be key.

Either way, I'll be happy with my B6 for another year.

Agree the difference between the 2016 and 2017 oleds appear to be smaller than the difference between the 2016 and 2015 oleds and do not justify buying another tv.

For example:
-Peak brightness is only up 70 nits from 633 to 700 cd/m2 10% window;
-Motion resolution is the same: 650 with [TruMotion] engaged; 300 otherwise
-Measured DCI-P3 coverage is only up 1 percent

The big difference is input lag in game mode that is down 20 ms from 44 to 21. However since I mainly play single player games, It does not matter much for me.

(comparing http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/w7-e7-201703114438.htm to http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oled55b6v-201611044381.htm

Feels good to be a new b6 owner today =)

by the way, the fact that they have renamed the color gamut standard setting to auto in the 2017 OLEDS demonstrates that standard is the correct setting for HDR content (games and video) (which most calibrators already have figured out)

holygeesus

Banned
Agree the difference between the 2016 and 2017 oleds appear to be smaller than the difference between the 2016 and 2015 oleds and do not justify buying another tv.

For example:

The big difference is input lag in game mode that is down 20 ms from 44 to 21. However since I mainly play single player games, It does not matter much for me.

(comparing http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/w7-e7-201703114438.htm to http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oled55b6v-201611044381.htm

Gaming lag on the B6 will be lower as soon as LG get the damn firmware released. Think it will be about 28 then. Not too shabby.

Taggen86

Gaming lag on the B6 will be lower as soon as LG get the damn firmware released. Think it will be about 28 then. Not too shabby.

That would truly be awesome. I just hope the we get this firmware update. I am a little worried since the US got the update already in december and the C6 owners in Europe already have it. It seems that it is very difficult to get the update to work on our b6vs (which have a different chipset).

holygeesus

Banned
That would truly be awesome. I just hope the we get this firmware update. I am a little worried since the US got the update already in december and the C6 owners in Europe already have it. It seems that it is very difficult to get the update to work on our b6vs (which have a different chipset).

The initial US release was broken. They only received a fixed version last week, and seeing as we usually see firmware a fortnight after the US, it could finally hit this week here in the EU. Fingers crossed anyway.

tokkun

But have you heard about the E8? It's rumored to have HDMI 2.1 compatibility.

That is one feature that does not sway me much. HDMI 2.1 will have the same problems 4K did when it launched - lack of content and lack of source devices. And it will probably similarly take years before it is useful for anything other than PC gaming. Adaptive refresh would be nice for consoles, but seems unlikely things would be ready in time for it to make it into Scorpio, so you are probably going to be left waiting for the next generation / major refresh.

For example:

by the way, the fact that they have renamed the color gamut standard setting to auto in the 2017 OLEDS demonstrates that standard is the correct setting for HDR content (games and video) (which most calibrators already have figured out)

The major difference seems to be better handling of dark content - less shadow crush and artificating / noise. I could see that mattering for gaming. I am playing The Witcher 3 right now and there are a lot of really dark areas in this game where I have to squint to make things out even on a calibrated IPS monitor.

I had posted a youtube video a while back showing a side-by-side of a 6-series OLED and a KS8000 playing Doom, and there were definitely details in dark areas that appeared in the KS8000 and didn't in the OLED.

anyone have any suggested settings adjustments to the 2016 models to correct for black crush?

its nowhere near as bad as my old led but still present.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Crushed shadow detail is really my only negative with my OLED after some good use now.
I know it can be mitigated with some tuning, but I'm no expert.

I'll get the set professionally calibrated the next time whenever D-Nice or one of the other ISF guys is in town.

vpance

It sounds like something they can change anyway, and LG are pretty good at responding if the need is there, but as it stands the 2016 sets handle HDR better if you are ok with a bit less detail, I'd be in that camp.

Just put it in vivid.

lgoled2017handson-5l.jpg

So in the most accurate picture mode, basically there is no significant nits gain over 2016. Huh.

I discovered that my B6 has a lazy pixel, impossible to see unless you're using one of those videos to find them, but would like to know if there's a way to fix them.

Chumley

Banned
Crushed shadow detail is really my only negative with my OLED after some good use now.
I know it can be mitigated with some tuning, but I'm no expert.

I'll get the set professionally calibrated the next time whenever D-Nice or one of the other ISF guys is in town.

What settings exactly do you tune to fix that?

Kambing

Re: Why the OLED jump from 16' to 17' is less than 15' to 16'

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1484640539

LG has taken the tick tock approach to panel development. The 2017's are part of their 'tock' of second generation panels. If they are on track, 2018 should see the introduction of third generation panels. My prediction is that the 2018 sets will come HDMI 2.1 ready, but it will be a very poor first attempt, much like HDR's first implementation (and still is lol) -- they will nail HDMI 2.1 in 2019 as part of their 'tock' optimization of third generation panels.

Kyoufu

Re: Why the OLED jump from 16' to 17' is less than 15' to 16'

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1484640539

LG has taken the tick tock approach to panel development. The 2017's are part of their 'tock' of second generation panels. If they are on track, 2018 should see the introduction of third generation panels. My prediction is that the 2018 sets will come HDMI 2.1 ready, but it will be a very poor first attempt, much like HDR's first implementation (and still is lol) -- they will nail HDMI 2.1 in 2019 as part of their 'tock' optimization of third generation panels.

That article says the 2017 OLEDs are close to 1000 nits? I thought they were around 700-800.

holygeesus

Banned
My own settings ended up at

Contrast 84
Brightness 51
OLED Light - adjust to taste and lighting of room

Gamma BT.1886
5 IRE +5
10 IRE +4
15 IRE +3
20 IRE +2
25 IRE +1

Colour adjustments
Cyan Tint -3
Magenta Tint -2
Yellow Tint +5

Then all processing off. All other settings ISF Dark defaults.

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah if that's true, that's a HUGE difference.

I notice from that article that they removed the anti-reflective filter. My guess is that automatically improves brightness to a degree, even without any other developments. It will be interesting to see how daytime viewing is impacted.

Edit - and 3D removed of course = more brightness too.

holygeesus

Banned
Yup in reality the 2017 sets are 700-800 nits -- feel that the article in question had the LG rep use very selective rounding for "close to" lol

Isn't it just that vivid mode will provide 1000 nits but won't be an 'accurate' image? That's what I got from the article. That or 1000 nits is what it is capable of before ABL knocks it down?

Does TV GAF have a consensus on the best TV for gaming? I'll be grabbing a new one later this year and I'm planning on going for something OLED, 4k and HDR. Not looking to break the bank too much, are there any sets I should be looking at in particular?

About to pull the trigger on a KS8000. I can go Amazon or Costco. About the same price, but Amazon lets me tack on installation which saves me some hassle. Costco, however, will give me a two year warranty (from purchase) and has no questions asked return policy (which could be good in case of dead pixels, etc.). However, Costco's has a different model # and rtings called it a warehouse version -- is it inferior?

Regarding installation, they'd put the power cord behind the wall, which is nice, but not the incoming HDMI or the outgoing cord that provides audio to the receiver from the TV (what's that called -- Optical something or other?). I could instead opt for a cable hider, is there typically room for all three cables in those?

Thanks!

Already see the C7 out in the wild, prices are a punch in the dick, but I think it's time to upgrade. The Sony being a grand more isn't surprising, but are they supposed to have anything on LG?

Also the rtings review of the C7 says it's a 120hz panel. Would this be at 4k or 1080p (in pc mode)?

Madness

Does TV GAF have a consensus on the best TV for gaming? I'll be grabbing a new one later this year and I'm planning on going for something OLED, 4k and HDR. Not looking to break the bank too much, are there any sets I should be looking at in particular?

Consensus this year was overall price vs picture quality and input lag was the KS8000. For under 49", the best television was the Sony X800D series. If you could afford the increase to OLED, the LG B6/E6 combo were solid choices as well. But if you are wanting one this year, wait for all the new models to roll out and let them be reviewed a bit to find which has tbe best picture quality vs price again. Keep in mind ideally you want the television that will give you the best 4K HDR image with low gaming input lag. Seems Samsung's offering this year almost halved the brightness of last year despite improving color.

About to pull the trigger on a KS8000. I can go Amazon or Costco.

Costco is just a bezel change from chrome silver to sort of black ice/gunmetal etc. I would do Costco for the ease of return and extra warranty if price is same. Amazon shipping is horrendous as is how these televisions are kept in warehouses. I bought from Samsung direct and was extremely wary of the delivery. Installation is ridiculously easy. It is two pegs you put in the bottom if you want it on a stand or basic wall mount installation on the back etc.

Consensus this year was overall price vs picture quality and input lag was the KS8000. For under 49", the best television was the Sony X800D series. If you could afford the increase to OLED, the LG B6/E6 combo were solid choices as well. But if you are wanting one this year, wait for all the new models to roll out and let them be reviewed a bit to find which has tbe best picture quality vs price again. Keep in mind ideally you want the television that will give you the best 4K HDR image with low gaming input lag. Seems Samsung's offering this year almost halved the brightness of last year despite improving color.

Costco is just a bezel change from chrome silver to sort of black ice/gunmetal etc. I would do Costco for the ease of return and extra warranty if price is same. Amazon shipping is horrendous as is how these televisions are kept in warehouses. I bought from Samsung direct and was extremely wary of the delivery. Installation is ridiculously easy. It is two pegs you put in the bottom if you want it on a stand or basic wall mount installation on the back etc.

Yeah I was thinking I'll probably be best to wait until this years are out. To be honest I was going to go that route even if I buy last years model since it means a pretty hefty price cut usually. The KS8000 did actually catch my eye earlier when looking, but unfortunately I doubt I can find a slot that big for a TV. I guess the Sony might be a better fit.

Already see the C7 out in the wild, prices are a punch in the dick, but I think it's time to upgrade. The Sony being a grand more isn't surprising, but are they supposed to have anything on LG?

Also the rtings review of the C7 says it's a 120hz panel. Would this be at 4k or 1080p (in pc mode)?

Better processing unit

I think I want an A1E. When are we likely to see in-depth reviews for them?

Sony has a conference on Tuesday where they will announce official prices and launch dates.

KevinG

How much are the 2017 KS8000s?

I'm just trying to see what my possible options are if my B6 can't get fixed and I can't afford another new B6.

BumRush

Isn't it just that vivid mode will provide 1000 nits but won't be an 'accurate' image? That's what I got from the article. That or 1000 nits is what it is capable of before ABL knocks it down?

I think we'll need more reviews on these first. If LG themselves said 700-800, no reason to expect it'd be HIGHER in real life, haha.

Madness

Don't waste your money. The Sony tax is real on that. Sony's picture processing is not going to be that much better than LG's. Buy an LG OLED.

I don't know, why would it be a waste of money. Sony build quality, image quality is better than the rest when it comes to flagship televisions, in my honest opinion. Plus the utility of Android TV 2017 cannot be beat. Easily better than WebOS and Tizen. You have to wait until they are out and the reviews come in honestly.

Top Bottom