• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

I thought there was an OLED B6 firmware update for the supposed screen tearing and game mode recently. Looking for it on the site, but I cannot find it. Does anyone know if there a recent update?

NYR

DUDE.

Come on.

You guys smell that?

Enjoy the slanted TVs then, doesn't bother me at all that people will buy them. I do look forward to the reviews when it is revealed Sony is years away from getting OLED right better than the competitors especially the leader in LG. No one is going to nail it the first go around, not with the lead LG has. Sony may have experience with OLED but not at a mass consumer level. Just my opinion, if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.

Picked up a new Marantz that supports 4K/HDR, new monoprice cert'd cables, new UPS as my old pure sine wave kicked the bucket last year. Now I sit and vacillate between a B6 and C7, flipping every few hours. Tick tock.

Costco is just a bezel change from chrome silver to sort of black ice/gunmetal etc. I would do Costco for the ease of return and extra warranty if price is same. Amazon shipping is horrendous as is how these televisions are kept in warehouses. I bought from Samsung direct and was extremely wary of the delivery. Installation is ridiculously easy. It is two pegs you put in the bottom if you want it on a stand or basic wall mount installation on the back etc.

Very good points. However, just checked Costco again and it looks like they only have the curved KS8000 (UN65KS850DFXZA) -- don't know if I misread earlier but I could swear they had the non-curved version. Ugh. I may swing by the store and ensure they don't have it before resorting to Amazon.

Edit: They do have the UN65KS900DFXZA, but at nearly $2000.

Madness

Enjoy the slanted TVs then, doesn't bother me at all that people will buy them. I do look forward to the reviews when it is revealed Sony is years away from getting OLED right better than the competitors especially the leader in LG. No one is going to nail it the first go around, not with the lead LG has. Sony may have experience with OLED but not at a mass consumer level. Just my opinion, if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.
This honestly reads like a console wars style post. Sony has been working on developing OLED for over a decade. In fact I remember they had the first OLED consumer market television back in like 2007. They also used OLED in their Vita etc. They just don't produce panels cheaper than LG right now which is why they are using an LG panel. A lot of manufacturers sometimes buy panels from others ie. Sharp, Toshiba, Samsung etc.

Again, the Sony AE1 is not a mass consumer device. It is a flagship. It will utilize their latest cutting edge technologies. Their image processing will easily beat LG's if they are using the 4K X1 Extreme. Again, this isn't to say the Sony will be better but from what I have read people are saying it is easily one of the best pictures they have seen in OLED and definitely the brightest. Let's see the reviews though.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/sony-bravia-a1e

Okay, let's see if you keep your word and be the first to admit it if you are proven wrong.

This honestly reads like a console wars style post. Sony has been working on developing OLED for over a decade. In fact I remember they had the first OLED consumer market television back in like 2007. They also used OLED in their Vita etc. They just don't produce panels cheaper than LG right now which is why they are using an LG panel. A lot of manufacturers sometimes buy panels from others ie. Sharp, Toshiba, Samsung etc.

Again, the Sony AE1 is not a mass consumer device. It is a flagship. It will utilize their latest cutting edge technologies. Their image processing will easily beat LG's if they are using the 4K X1 Extreme. Again, this isn't to say the Sony will be better but from what I have read people are saying it is easily one of the best pictures they have seen in OLED and definitely the brightest. Let's see the reviews though.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/sony-bravia-a1e

It's going to use the X1 Extreme. I think that's already been confirmed.

Sanctuary

Okay, let's see if you keep your word and be the first to admit it if you are proven wrong.

Chances are, if someone is going to be able to even afford one of those TVs, they're going to have a mounting solution anyway. No slant. Personally, I'm just glad that OLED in general is being adopted by more than just a few manufacturers. When Panasonic dropped out of making plasmas a few years ago, and with OLED still being cost prohibitive, it seemed like it would be a while before affordable OLEDs would be available (so no real successor to the plasmas) and that it could potentially stall before getting out of the gates. Doesn't appear to be the case at all now.

Chances are, if someone is going to be able to even afford one of those TVs, they're going to have a mounting solution anyway. No slant.

Well I mean the dumb bookstand has standard hardware for wall mounting, so your can attach your own stand to the set. The design is stupid but you can fix it yourself. Hopefully in 2018 when I'm planning to buy they will have come to their senses and use a normal design, and also support HDMI 2.1 + Game Mode VRR.

You better go read some impressions before posting next time

Kyoufu

As an LG OLED owner, I'm pretty confident the Sony A1E will be better than LG's offerings in terms of picture processing, at the least. The X1 Xtreme processor is really good and this isn't Sony's first rodeo with OLED. It's not like they just discovered the tech 6 months ago.

In terms of input latency, smart TV OS experience etc, I think LG will probably be on top.

I just bought a 65-inch LG C6 and getting it wall mounted. I also have a PS4 Pro and a Switch in the room I'm gonna put it in. It's arriving this Thursday.

I am super excited.

Kambing

Honestly I wouldn't have an issue IF and WHEN the Sony gets reviewed you come to an informed conclusion -- how the 2017 OLEDs perform, motion handling, etc there obviously will be a clear winner. My only issue and why I gave you a little shit for it is that you are giving recommendations BEFORE reviews for all the sets have come in, and did so in an inflammatory fashion. Have you even seen either TV in person so at the very least you can pass of what you wrote as an impression? Hell for all we know the Panasonic might be best.

Enjoy! It even makes sub-1080p content look amazing. Zelda looks great.

Awesome! I can't wait. I also have a DirecTV mini genie so I'll be able to watch my sports and such on this behometh.

I'm gonna get a sound bar in the summer since I only had enough for the TV. I'm currently looking at the Sony HT-ST5000 and if the reviews are good, I'll definitely pick it up. I was also thinking Sonos but we'll see.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
As an LG OLED owner, I'm pretty confident the Sony A1E will be better than LG's offerings in terms of picture processing, at the least. The X1 Xtreme processor is really good and this isn't Sony's first rodeo with OLED. It's not like they just discovered the tech 6 months ago.

In terms of input latency, smart TV OS experience etc, I think LG will probably be on top.

for sure. WebOS > Android TV for sure. LG OLEDs are terrific terrific smart TVs

holygeesus

Banned
for sure. WebOS > Android TV for sure. LG OLEDs are terrific terrific smart TVs

This. Android TV is horrible.

I fully expect the Sony A1E to better the LG 2017 models, just as I predict the Philips OLED will and the Panasonic. I wouldn't touch an LG TV other than this B6 I bought because it was the only consumer panel available, for reasonable money, at the time, but IMO all the other companies producing OLED sets, just produce better TVs in general. However, you are going to be paying more for all of them.

It still disappoints me that LG haven't improved motion in the 2017 sets. Both Sony and Philips have done so with their efforts.

I should amend - its $3800 - and for some reason I remember it being 3500 - perhaps there was a discount or sale that is no longer active. In any case - its 3800 here and that not too far off the mark for a 65 inch.

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Sony-XBR-Z9D-Series-65-Class-4K-Smart-LED-TV-p/xbr65z9d.htm

Are these people authorized Sony retailers?

edit:

Nope, they are shady borderline scammers
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/198-p...deals/1477270-east-coast-tv-s-experiment.html

This is why I didn't believe the price, don't buy from these assholes

Taggen86

Lower the Gamma at the dark end of the spectrum.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...7-lg-oleds-how-enhance-near-black-detail.html

However this may bring undesired consequences as poor reproduction of near-black details may become more visible:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...leds-noise-picture-w-examples-timestamps.html

What adjustments did you do yourself to enhance black detail? I have figured out that you can turn up brightness to 51 in standard hdr mode and 52 in game mode before you lose the perfect blacks. I have not adjusted the IRE settings since I do not want to mess up the colours and I have not access to tools that can check if everything is alright.

This. Android TV is horrible.

I fully expect the Sony A1E to better the LG 2017 models, just as I predict the Philips OLED will and the Panasonic. I wouldn't touch an LG TV other than this B6 I bought because it was the only consumer panel available, for reasonable money, at the time, but IMO all the other companies producing OLED sets, just produce better TVs in general. However, you are going to be paying more for all of them.

It still disappoints me that LG haven't improved motion in the 2017 sets. Both Sony and Philips have done so with their efforts.

Wasn't in the article from whathifi rumored that the price for the pany (ez952) is 2.5k for the 55?

http://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/tx-55ez952/review

Do we know the price for b7, c7?

mitchman

Gold Member
I thought there was an OLED B6 firmware update for the supposed screen tearing and game mode recently. Looking for it on the site, but I cannot find it. Does anyone know if there a recent update?

Only for the US models. The Euro models will get the firmware upgrade in March according to LG. Waiting for it myself although the input lag does not bother me now.

That rumoured price for the 55EZ952 is why I'm holding fire. If they marry up the benefits of OLED with the processing on their 2016 flagship LCDs then it could be a bargain.

Hopefully the UK price will be reasonable.

reKon

Banned
Ughhh. The 65 inch OLEDs will never drop to that slightly $2K price point that I'm looking for (this year that is). I don't want to wait 2 - 3 years for the price that I'm looking for.

Picked up a new Marantz that supports 4K/HDR, new monoprice cert'd cables, new UPS as my old pure sine wave kicked the bucket last year. Now I sit and vacillate between a B6 and C7, flipping every few hours. Tick tock.

Nice choice. The Marantz AV receiver is excellent. I got an NR1607 and it's amazing. That combined with an OLED is the ultimate home theater imho. I probably need some new speakers though. They sound quite good for their age, but that's the problem. The speakers are so old I am probably holding back the Marantz a little as great as it sounds.

Only for the US models. The Euro models will get the firmware upgrade in March according to LG. Waiting for it myself although the input lag does not bother me now.

I got a US model actually. Did not see it anywhere online or the LG web site. Wish I could just do it from the TV.

KevinG

LG Technician will be here in a few minutes.

Please be good news, either an easy fix or LG replaced my B6 with a new one.

Those are he two scenarios I'd be happy with.

I thought I read the Panny was 5K?

Idk but from the article:

"With a proposed price of €2500, the TX-55EZ952 isn’t cheap, but considering it’s packed with almost all of the cutting-edge 4K HDR technology found in the flagship EZ1002 OLED, we wouldn’t be surprised if it proves to be Panasonic’s most popular OLED screen."

KevinG

LG Technician ordered a new panel, will be here by the end of the week.

Hoping that I've made the right decision on which path to go down with this situation.

With some sort of compensation from Adorama, I believe that I will eventually have this TV (within the next couple of weeks), while any other scenario would have me getting a cheaper set and not getting an OLED.

Situation sucks, but so far LG's customer service has been pretty stellar.

holygeesus

Banned
LG Technician ordered a new panel, will be here by the end of the week.

Hoping that I've made the right decision on which path to go down with this situation.

With some sort of compensation from Adorama, I believe that I will eventually have this TV (within the next couple of weeks), while any other scenario would have me getting a cheaper set and not getting an OLED.

Situation sucks, but so far LG's customer service has been pretty stellar.

Have to admit I would have only accepted a return. That looked like it had taken a fair drop during transit. Is the warped gap in the back being sorted too?

KevinG

Have to admit I would have only accepted a return. That looked like it had taken a fair drop during transit. Is the warped gap in the back being sorted too?

I can still make out a small gap, but the technician already took it off and put it back on, and putt it back on better than it was. At the end of the day, I will have a perfectly functioning panel, it just might take more time.

I can't afford anything more than the $1400 I've already paid. My options are limited, and a full refund would certainly get me my $1400 back, but I want this TV, and $1400 is not going to get me this TV.

The whole thing sucks and I'm second guessing every single decision I'm making with it.

Edit: Just checked my Repair Track through LG, and it looks like the Technician has essentially ordered an entirely new set, just as individual pieces.

tokkun

What adjustments did you do yourself to enhance black detail? I have figured out that you can turn up brightness to 51 in standard hdr mode and 52 in game mode before you lose the perfect blacks. I have not adjusted the IRE settings since I do not want to mess up the colours and I have not access to tools that can check if everything is alright.

Haven't done it myself, just read about it.

holygeesus

Banned

You won't mess up the colours if making only small adjustments. Try

5 IRE +5
10 IRE +4
15 IRE +3
20 IRE +2
25 IRE +1

And see how you get on. They are only small adjustments, but I prefer slightly less shadow detail and no dancing blacks.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Don't waste your money. The Sony tax is real on that. Sony's picture processing is not going to be that much better than LG's. Buy an LG OLED.

Yeah the price on the Sony makes your eyes water. The picture processing on the LG is fantastic, like how much better can Sony make it using an LG OLED panel.

finalflame

Do people really not think the B6 will be $1399 ever again, even with the C7 and B7 launch around the corner and the fact that other retailers also have to drain their stock? The B6/C6 will definitely drop again, probably at major retailers and elsewhere where stock is still plentiful to make way for 2017 stock.

With that said, I've been enjoying the conversation surrounding the A1E over the last page or so. I look forward to it being officially out so we can get full hands-on reviews and impressions. If it's generally ahead of the B7/E7, I'll definitely be gunning for it.

Also, I like the slightly slanted design :)

KevinG

Do people really not think the B6 will be $1399 ever again, even with the C7 and B7 launch around the corner and the fact that other retailers also have to drain their stock? The B6/C6 will definitely drop again, probably at major retailers and elsewhere where stock is still plentiful to wake way for 2017 stock.

With that said, I've been enjoying the conversation surrounding the A1E over the last page or so. I look forward to it being officially out so we can get full hands-on reviews and impressions. If it's generally ahead of the B7/E7, I'll definitely be gunning for it.

Also, I like the slightly slanted design :)

I'm not confident we will see the price at $1400 again.

If I were, I'd have jumped at the refund from Adorama. A lot of what I've been reading gives off the impression that big retailers won't drop below $1800.

Nice choice. The Marantz AV receiver is excellent. I got an NR1607 and it's amazing. That combined with an OLED is the ultimate home theater imho. I probably need some new speakers though. They sound quite good for their age, but that's the problem. The speakers are so old I am probably holding back the Marantz a little as great as it sounds.

Yeah, I used to roll with Onkyo's back in the day but had some issues with bad capacitors and while it was tempting to fix them by hand I ended up switching to Marantz and haven't had any issues. I'm only driving some weird Dana L/Rs, and an HTD center and powered sub, but it all sounds quite nice. I also have some Grado SR1000s when I want that sort of experience, hooked up to a Parasound to drive them.

Madness

Yeah the price on the Sony makes your eyes water. The picture processing on the LG is fantastic, like how much better can Sony make it using an LG OLED panel.

Probably very? This will be their OLED flagship. No way Sony doesn't go balls to the wall with their OLED televisions. A lot of manufacturers share panels or buy from a specific company so it isn't a question of not being able to do anything. Things like television build, image and sound processing, they all have an effect.

Sharp of Japan and Hon Hai of Taiwan supplied panels to companies like Hisense and Samsung. Now compare the quality and image between the two even for their budget and flagship models.

finalflame

If I were, I'd have jumped at the refund from Adorama. A lot of what I've been reading gives off the impression that big retailers won't drop below $1800.

I think you're doing the right thing for your situation in particular, you already got a great price, and especially since you already have the set and want it setup as soon as possible, a sentiment I totally empathize with (I'd probably be doing the same if I were you). I'm sure LG will take care of you.

But B6/C6 prices have nowhere to go now but down. Yes, $1399 was a fantastic deal, but we'll see it happen again at other retailers that still have B6/C6 stock as it'll get harder to sell/move as the 2017 sets start rolling in, and they only have so much inventory/warehouse space. We were seeing insane deals on 2015 OLEDs up until the holiday season last year (2016) at the lowest prices they have ever been.

Anyways, I don't have a horse in this race unless the A1E reviews mediocrely. The more I look at it and think about my history with Sony TVs, the more I want it and am confident Sony is going to blow it out of the water.

holygeesus

Banned

Stock levels must be running pretty low now, so I wouldn't expect massive discounts of the 2016 range. At least new ones.

Madness

Stock levels must be running pretty low now, so I wouldn't expect massive discounts of the 2016 range. At least new ones.

They will still go on sale, but don't expect any massive sales with a lot of units. You may see them on clearance at your local shops or in small numbers through eBay or other sites.

Top Bottom