• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

holygeesus

Banned
I know it is hardly the best game but Homefront is the first title where I am going to have to wait for the HDR Game firmware. Aiming in a 30fps title with laggy HDR is no fun....at all.

KevinG

My repair page lists these things on order for the repair:
Cable,FFC
Cable,FFC
OLED,Module-AM
Power Supply Assembly
Chassis Assembly

So, I'm making the best of the process by geeking out over the repair procedures.

Don't fully understand what everything is.

finalflame

My repair page lists these things on order for the repair:
Cable,FFC
Cable,FFC
OLED,Module-AM
Power Supply Assembly
Chassis Assembly

So, I'm making the best of the process by geeking out over the repair procedures.

Don't fully understand what everything is.

Looks like exactly what you said -- a brand new TV but in parts, and the logic/image processing hardware will be transplanted from your set. But basically, they got the chassis that goes around the screen, the actual OLED panel, power supply an some random ribbon cables to connect shit. In the end, it'll be a brand new TV!

relly they dont Flicker ?

heard of problems relating to ABL ?.....

Depending on the amount of whiteness, you will probably see brightness shifting up and down. I remember when I had my VT60 and did a little web browsing on it, I could make the brightness pop up and down by minimizing the web browser and showing the darker desktop background and then maximizing it to full screen.

holygeesus

Banned
UK 2017 LG prices are out

The flagship of the range is the W7 Signature Wallpaper OLED 4K TV with its separate all-in-one box, which will be available in two screen sizes. The 65-inch model hits stores at the end of this month and will cost £7,999, whilst the 77-inch model will arrive in September and set you back an eye-watering £24,999.

Then there is the G7 Signature 4K OLED TV which comes with a built-in soundbase. This also comes in two screen sizes with the 65-inch model available in April and costing £6,999, whilst the 77-inch model will arrive in August and cost a slightly more reasonable £19,999.

The E7 uses the Picture-on-Glass design and includes a built-in soundbar. It will be available in two screen sizes, a 65-inch model that ships in April and costs £4,999, along with a 55-inch model that hits stores in early May and costs £3,499.

Next we have the C7 with its Alpine stand that is available in two screen sizes, The 65-inch model arrives in stores in mid-April and will cost £4,499, whilst the 55-inch model arrives at the end of March and costs £2,999.

Finally there's the B7 which uses the Crescent stand and will be available in the second week of April. This TV comes in two screen sizes with the 65-inch also costing £4,499 and the 55-inch costing £2,999.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I thought l was nuts paying £3400 for my LG55EG960V OLED but £8K for the 65" wallpaper i'd have to be drunk to place an order..

tokkun

relly they dont Flicker ?

heard of problems relating to ABL ?.....

Yeah, I wouldn't want to use it to replace my PC monitors for this reason.

Some people have mentioned that it is OK if you use a black background and only have your browser window take up a small portion of the screen.

Yeah, I used to roll with Onkyo's back in the day but had some issues with bad capacitors and while it was tempting to fix them by hand I ended up switching to Marantz and haven't had any issues. I'm only driving some weird Dana L/Rs, and an HTD center and powered sub, but it all sounds quite nice. I also have some Grado SR1000s when I want that sort of experience, hooked up to a Parasound to drive them.

I think Marantz also has a 3 year warranty which is nice. I still have my trusty Harmon Kardon, Pioneer and Denon AV receiver from 12 to 16 years ago and besides the Harmon Kardon, they all still work quite well. I just wanted a modern AV Receiver that would accept 4K and HDMI and heard great things about the Marantz which I got instead of another Denon which I heard was owned by Marantz or vice versa? I am running some old Infinity Tower speakers, 2 Infinity small rears, an Infinity center channel, Polk Audio subwoofer and two tower Pioneer speakers for 7.1, but the speakers are like 2 decades old. I am leaning towards getting some Klipsch speakers next, but honestly, the system I have now sound impressive considering the age of the speakers.

Probably very? This will be their OLED flagship. No way Sony doesn't go balls to the wall with their OLED televisions. A lot of manufacturers share panels or buy from a specific company so it isn't a question of not being able to do anything. Things like television build, image and sound processing, they all have an effect.

Sharp of Japan and Hon Hai of Taiwan supplied panels to companies like Hisense and Samsung. Now compare the quality and image between the two even for their budget and flagship models.

Honestly, if the Sony OLED surpasses the LG OLED, I will be very surprised especially the 2017 LG models. I think it will look slightly to even noticeably better, but based on the prices I am seeing so far, people might expect it to perform substantially better in everything. Sure, it will drop in price eventually, but they will probably always cost more than the LG models which will could hold it back a little. I thought the introductory price for the only OLED was $3,999 btw? The Sony OLED looks really nice btw.

holygeesus

Banned
Honestly, if the Sony OLED surpasses the LG OLED, I will be very surprised especially the 2017 LG models. I think it will look slightly better or even noticeably better, but based on the prices I am seeing so far, I expect it to look and perform noticeably better. Sure, they will drop in price eventually, but they will probably always cost more than the LG models which will probably hold it back a little.

I can't see Sony not improving on the motion of the LG. It is a bit of a shock that they haven't improved it at all in their 2017 sets. I don't find it a big deal fortunately.

I can't see Sony not improving on the motion of the LG. It is a bit of a shock that they haven't improved it at all in their 2017 sets. I don't find it a big deal fortunately.

Yeah, I expect the motion on the Sony to be improved, but motion is not a significant deal to me either.

luffeN

Yeah, I wouldn't want to use it to replace my PC monitors for this reason.

Some people have mentioned that it is OK if you use a black background and only have your browser window take up a small portion of the screen.

I don't have any problem browsing the web on my 55 inch E6, but I also sit further away since it is in my living room.

Mother Nature is screwing me right now. I jumped on the most recent Adorama deal and my TV was supposed to ship out today and be here Friday. I think this blizzard is about to delay everything until next week.

tokkun

I don't have any problem browsing the web on my 55 inch E6, but I also sit further away since it is in my living room.

I was referring more to personal annoyance with changes in brightness based on whether you are viewing a page with a light theme or a dark theme.

I also would not trust it for photo or video editing in full screen for that reason. Changing brightness will make you perceive colors differently. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqx_9P645wY

holygeesus

Banned
Currently, the UK prices seem to be as follows:

LG (all confirmed)

W7 65" - £7,999
W7 77" - £24,999
G7 65" - £6,999
G7 77" - £19,999
E7 65" - £4,999
E7 55" - £3,499
C7 65" - £4,499
C7 55" - £2,999
B7 65" - £4,499
B7 55" - £2,999

Sony (based on $=£)

A1E 65" - £6,499
A1E 55" - £4,999

Panasonic (Confirmed)

EZ1002 77" - £??
EZ1002 65" - £6,995
EZ952 65" - £4,995
EZ952 55" - £3,495

Philips

55POS901F - £3,000
9002 - Unconfirmed but rumoured to be cheaper than the 901F

luffeN

I was referring more to personal annoyance with changes in brightness based on whether you are viewing a page with a light theme or a dark theme.

I also would not trust it for photo or video editing in full screen for that reason. Changing brightness will make you perceive colors differently. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqx_9P645wY

Ah, I see. Yeah, I noticed some changes in the general brigthness, but nothing too distracting imo for casual web browsing.

Leeroy605

Hey guys, bought a Philips 49pus6401 last week as a stop gap TV before OLED prices come down (was super cheap) but feel I might need to take it back.

When using HDMI there is what can only be described as two green dots with a line connecting them (see pictures linked below) that can appear and disappear at random.

http://imgur.com/9dL7tcQ

http://imgur.com/9zqexny

Last night was playing Horizon and at the start of my session they was not there, but randomly appeared and did not go.

Have tried changing inputs, HDMI cables, even using my computer on the other HDMI port has them appear and disappear randomly.

Anyone seen anything like this before? To be able to take it back I have to reproduce the problem in store but with the nature it comes and goes afraid it wont happen when I need it to!

ShapeGSX

I'm considering buying an E6.

What about the motion bothers you guys? I noticed some bad artifacting around football players (between legs as they run) when using MotionFlow or whatever LG calls it. On my Sony, I've never seen it that bad.

I really like the passive 3D of my XBR65X900A, and the passive 3D of the E6 OLED makes me want one.

Read my post below.

I'm sure these are the prices most sites will use since these guys are an authorized retailer.

Higher MSRP still means higher prices throughout the year, probably. And while I guess nobody expected LG type deals for the A1E, this could mean that the price stays relatively stable for a long time. I'd like to be wrong though.

My B6 came in and I spent most of my day calibrating the screen and trying to reset the PS4 video settings.

I'll probably spend most of the day today calibrating it again. :<

Mascot

Just dived in with a Sammy UE65KS9000, arriving tomorrow.

Has the same vertical footprint as my 50" Pioneer plasma with side speakers so I shouldn't be too scared.

holygeesus

Banned

What about the motion bothers you guys? I noticed some bad artifacting around football players (between legs as they run) when using MotionFlow or whatever LG calls it. On my Sony, I've never seen it that bad.

I really like the passive 3D of my XBR65X900A, and the passive 3D of the E6 OLED makes me want one.

I can't personally use TruMotion at all for the reason you state. Too many artefacts.

Lol why is the C7 and B7 the same price in UK when it's 500&#8364; cheaper in Germany. Doesn't make sense.

German model of the C7 has dual triple tuners (C7D), while the UK model only has normal triple tuner (C7V).
Same applies to the B7.
E7, G7 and W7 are all the same though, no matter where you buy in Europe.

Yukstin

I've had to turn off trumotion for pretty much everything on my C6. It was causing some frame drops when watching sports and when I watched a blurary it was prone to some judder when 24p mode was also engaged.

Since I turned it off I haven't noticed any motion issues and the picture still looks great.

Your mileage will vary though since it's such a subjective issue.

Does anyone with a Samsung TV has this issue where the image kind of separates and it looks purple for like a second? I don't know how to explain it better. This only happens woth my PS4 Pro.

Yeah, known problem for a while now with a thread in the Samsung forums. Seems to affect all KS models. Here's how it looks like on my ks9000 with a regular PS4 (you could get it to happen by toggling HDR on and off).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFB3-naqzA

This was like a month or 2 back and would happen too with FF 15. Not sure if it's been partially remedied now because toggling HDR on Horizon today does not cause the same side effect.

So, this is actually happening with any HDMI source because my NES mini also does this. What the fuck,Samsung?

So I know basically nothing about modern TVs and stuff.
I mostly hang out in the Retro AV Club/CRT thread.

Some questions I hope someone can answer are:

Why do manufacturers still make 720p sets?

If someone buys a 720p set, is it better to have content (like from a PS4) display in 720 or in 1080? Why?

Also, could someone explain what the black level setting is on tvs, and which is better at which times?

finalflame

Read my post below.

I'm sure these are the prices most sites will use since these guys are an authorized retailer.

The dream is back. Emailed for a quote shipped to where I'll be in moved to in a few weeks. Let's see what they say.

Are there any other/better boutique retailers to get in touch with for the west coast?

Lima

German model of the C7 has dual triple tuners (C7D), while the UK model only has normal triple tuner (C7V).
Same applies to the B7.
E7, G7 and W7 are all the same though, no matter where you buy in Europe.

Okay?
That doesn't explain why LG charges the same for the C7 and B7 in the U.K.

The B7 is 500€ cheaper in Germany compared to the C7. They are essentially the same TV just with a different design. (And honestlay because the C7 is also flat this year they should have just get rid of either the b or c series)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The dream is back. Emailed for a quote shipped to where I'll be in moved to in a few weeks. Let's see what they say.

Are there any other/better boutique retailers to get in touch with for the west coast?

Chris at ClevelandAV is selling them too.
I'd ask him as well, his email was posted a page or two back.

Okay?
That doesn't explain why LG charges the same for the C7 and B7 in the U.K.

The B7 is 500€ cheaper in Germany compared to the C7. They are essentially the same TV just with a different design. (And honestlay because the C7 is also flat this year they should have just get rid of either the b or c series)

Yeah, I noticed after finishing my post. :D

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Want the 65'' Sony OLED but really can't justify any more that 5000€, hopefully it drops eventually.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Anybody? I can't help but feel like the white's are super blown out and I'm not quite sure what the "correct" settings are.

Look on RTings.com, they have calibration guides for a wide range of TV's. If you are having a problem with white levels then you might try adjusting your backlight maybe?

Currently, the UK prices seem to be as follows:

LG (all confirmed)

W7 65" - £7,999
W7 77" - £24,999
G7 65" - £6,999
G7 77" - £19,999
E7 65" - £4,999
E7 55" - £3,499
C7 65" - £4,499
C7 55" - £2,999
B7 65" - £4,499
B7 55" - £2,999

Sony (based on $=£)

A1E 65" - £6,499
A1E 55" - £4,999

Panasonic (Confirmed)

EZ1002 77" - £??
EZ1002 65" - £6,995
EZ952 65" - £4,995
EZ952 55" - £3,495

Philips

55POS901F - £3,000
9002 - Unconfirmed but rumoured to be cheaper than the 901F

When did we get confirmation of the Panasonic prices?

Top Bottom