• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Alt-Right Has Its Own Comedy TV Show On A Time Warner Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
boy imagine how sad and lonely you must be to put so much effort into creating an account to spew garbage like a 14 year old.
Don't refract my point. How is altering your hormones acceptable in any way?
Also to add to that how is Islam, a religion with 109 verses that call violence to non believers (that are advocated to this day), a religion with a literal pedophile as a prophet, acceptable in a modern western society. And I don't want to hear about Christan verses of violence. They're not practiced today and the Bible has a revision. Give me a legitimate answer as to why the Quran shouldn't be revised before allowing Muslims into America.
I'll wait for a real response.

Nudull

Banned
Also to add to that how is Islam, a religion with 109 verses that call violence to non believers (that are advocated to this day), a religion with a literal pedophile as a prophet, acceptable in a modern western society. And I don't want to hear about Christan verses of violence. They're not practiced today and the Bible has a revision. Give me a legitimate answer as to why the Quran shouldn't be revised before allowing Muslims into America.

And the hits just keep coming!

Fat4all

Banned
Waaaahh waaaahh, he likes Donald Trump! Waaaahh get off tv, I hate all Republicans waaaaahhh. Das racist!
You people are horrible, unfunny, and any woman would get tired of your collective shit in a single day.
Find the nearest cliff, neofags.

P.S. being Transgender is a disorder in the same vain as schizophrenia and its people have a high suicide rate. Prove me wrong before banning me. (You can't)

this is a parody of the guy in the OP's post stand-up...

... right?

edit: :/

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Your are trying too hard. When it's this obvious you are trolling it doesn't really work.

Waaaahh waaaahh, he likes Donald Trump! Waaaahh get off tv, I hate all Republicans waaaaahhh. Das racist!
You people are horrible, unfunny, and any woman would get tired of your collective shit in a single day.

P.S. being Transgender is a disorder in the same vain as schizophrenia and its people have a high suicide rate. Prove me wrong before banning me. (You can't)
clown

South Park is a almost literally what happens when two Libertarians grow up playing video games and watching Monty Python. It hasn't been particularly funny for about 8 years, but it's not alt-right.

As far as Boondocks being anti-black... this whole thread is confusing the hell out of me.

What's with this d grade troll? Where the art to it? The finesse? These kids just barrel through threads with no respect. Take a look at some classic GAF threads first. Look at the space moors guy. That's a slow burn, a boiling the frog type of troll that by the time you realize they are crazy, the transatlantic slave trade is a lie.

HStallion

If you are going to troll you can't start things off trolling as hard as possible. You need to at least partially convince people you are legit before going all in. It's just sloppy and shows a real lack of experience at getting under people's skin.

BigDes

If you are going to troll you can't start things off trolling as hard as possible. You need to at least partially convince people you are legit before going all in.
Alt right idiots don't understand shit like nuance or the slow burn. They have to come in swinging all the time.

HStallion

Alt right idiots don't understand shit like nuance or the slow burn. They have to come in swinging all the time.

I did chuckle when he asked us to refract his point but sadly I don't have a prism to do that.

Zackat

If you are going to troll you can't start things off trolling as hard as possible. You need to at least partially convince people you are legit before going all in. It's just sloppy and shows a real lack of experience at getting under people's skin.

There's actually been a lot of them lately, really shitty attempts to infiltrate in here or something.

Don't refract my point.

..."refract"? What?

Anyway, now that they're gone -

South Park is, as others have pointed out, basically teenage "It's all bullshit anyway" cynicism masquerading as profundity. It can, sometimes, be funny, usually when they're in full-on absurdism mode. Other times, especially when they're trying to make a political point, it's gratingly didactic and relies on a middle schooler's grasp of nuance.

Their stuff about trans people in the past is basically unforgivable, though their more recent stuff has at least been less awful than it could have been (which is, admittedly, a pretty low bar).

And as for the "they shit on everyone equally" thing - that's such an enormous cop out. It's like the old Anatole France quote - "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

"Shitting on everyone equally" does not have an equal impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Xoqy0iTns

Probably my favorite MDE bit.

I always got the impression that Sam Hyde is living like Andy Kaufman and is just fucking with people's minds most of the time.
I'm saying this as a fan of T&E and Eric Andre; I can barely even follow what's happening. Seems to dial the surreal factor too far for me to even make a judgement about whether it's a parody or sincere representation of the alt-right or whatever the fuck it's trying to say. Given how blatantly liberal the rest of [as] and its creators are, I'm holding out from making a judgement until this develops a bit more.

Also saying South Park is alt-right is incredibly disingenuous. Their contrarian style and 'both sides are the same!' rhetoric can get obnoxious, but unless you inherently have an issue with Matt and Trey being libertarian with conservative leanings (I'd absolutely consider them socially liberal however), I'm not really sure where it's coming from? Both in interviews afterwards and even in the episodes themselves I think they made it pretty clear their stance on PC was legitimately "it's a good concept but some people take it way too far for personal gain and don't solve the issue', not "PC culture is me not being able to call someone a fag/nigger without getting called out on it". Hell they even tried to drive that point home in the finale with PC Principal staying around yet humbled instead of just getting horribly mutilated like people who took him at face-value hoped he'd be.

Not to mention they went full-ham on Trump last season regardless. I get that there's a ton of material in the last season unsavory online types are going to jump all over, but I highly doubt they're going to stay quiet on a lot of issues those alt-right/GG/Neo-nazi types probably want them to stay quiet on this season.

how the hell is boondocks 'anti-black' either

Jonm1010

Banned
So you just ask random people this question? When you go to the bank, do you ask the teller "Any more barriers or hoops you want me to jump through before I have a right to criticize the left for their own issues?"

Please, do not be disingenuous. You very clearly have a chip on your shoulder, because this is not a normal question that you ask people, because unless you can find a post where I imply that you should not be able to criticize the left, it's no more relevant to me than it is your bank teller.

Don't play coy. You jumped into the middle of a pile on after I dared make a rather benign observation that could be considered a criticism of some on the left's broadly encompassing use of the term alt-right on this forum and the lack of an agreed upon definition.

350 posts in here prior to mine and you decided this was the battle you needed to get in on.

These were the two posters you felt you needed to help out by reiterating their demand for qualification that they had no mind to demand of anyone else.

Of all the opinions thrown around casually in this thread prior, mine was the one you just had to do that for.

More commenting on this post than to the poster, but

1. It's always funny how posts like these are always the most outraged and angry about something.

2. For posterity, the psychological community does not recognize being trans as a disorder.

3. Trans people have a high suicide rate because of abuse, not because they are trans.

4. You talk about suicide rates, but the most suicides I see are from alt-right accounts like yours.

Dio

Banned
I'm saying this as a fan of T&E and Eric Andre; I can barely even follow what's happening. Seems to dial the surreal factor too far for me to even make a judgement about whether it's a parody or sincere representation of the alt-right or whatever the fuck it's trying to say. Given how blatantly liberal the rest of [as] and its creators are, I'm holding out from making a judgement until this develops a bit more.[/spoiler]

I pretty much agree with you. You'll notice that one of the skits:

https://youtu.be/i3Xoqy0iTns?t=78

is making fun of the wacko alt-right people, talking about 'how the only way to have safe money is to put your money in gold bars, like in Looney Tunes" (one of the alt-right/libertarian tenets is how awesome the gold standard is and how everyone should switch to it) and "if you wanna be safe, get a bomb shelter, get an AK-47 and booby trap your house with live grenades."

I still think Sam Hyde is just fucking with everybody.

Oh right, here's him making fun of "redpilled" conspiracy nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5wkQm6B44

Jonm1010

Banned
PurgeThisSite
Joined 10.30.15. 2 posts.

That seems like a lot of work for whoever is behind purgethissite to go through just to have one short off-topic, hateful rant in a thread that isnt even getting that much traffic.

I'm sure he could get some well earned brownie points over on that reddit of the same pejorative he used for the name of this forum. Not sure what he will do with them though, maybe they have achievement badges or something?

typist

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die, dummy

Permanently A

4. You talk about suicide rates, but the most suicides I see are from alt-right accounts like yours.

tumblr_inline_nltz3tCmfd1tr5v0b.gif

Gun Animal

what did you guys think of tonight's episode? The look on Sam's face as he said "David Duke" like he just got away with something was priceless. That Moonman namedrop was also the most actually alt-right thing that's happened on the show so far. It also may be the ironic lowpoint of his comedic career, since as far as I know he's never referenced an internet meme directly before.

I know he was dressed as someone specific in that short music video, but I can't tell who. Was it the Hatred protagonist, or a black metal vocalist or something?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I think I accidentally caught most of the first episode after watching Eric Andre. I don't remember noticing anything particularly 'alt-rightish' or political. I just remember it being weird.

Gun Animal

I think I accidentally caught most of the first episode after watching Eric Andre. I don't remember noticing anything particularly 'alt-rightish' or political. I just remember it being weird.
The first episode was originally going to be the fifth episode but MDE switch it around because they felt it would serve as a way to "ease in" the adult swim audience. It's the most tame episode of the bunch. (although it does have a lot to say about prostitution, sex work, sexual violation and degradation etc. in the last sketch.)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Yeah, it's just real absurdist and out there.

I've been subscribed to their youtube for years. Kickstarter TV in it's entirety and an Inconvenient Anime are both hilarious. I don't really care about Sam Hyde's political thoughts but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's just making fun of the alt right.

He seems like the kind of guy who would be making fun of you to your face and you wouldn't even know it.

a09c4c181926296a06a6adb14f36b5fdda9abda1ef7c804cf1cda7d112007d47_1.jpg

A bunch of the far left tumblr Steven Universe fanbase got pissy at the show because it advocated nonviolence in the face of oppression.

tumblr_ltwa334QUz1r3uyl0o1_1280.jpg

MyNationalistPony is.... yeah, you probably know everything you need to know from the name.

In short, having a fringe political fanbase doesn't really reflect on the quality of a show.

HStallion

a09c4c181926296a06a6adb14f36b5fdda9abda1ef7c804cf1cda7d112007d47_1.jpg

A bunch of the far left tumblr Steven Universe fanbase got pissy at the show because it advocated nonviolence in the face of oppression.

tumblr_ltwa334QUz1r3uyl0o1_1280.jpg

MyNationalistPony is.... yeah, you probably know everything you need to know from the name.

In short, having a fringe political fanbase doesn't really reflect on the quality of a show.

In my opinion MLP could use a little more fascism. Glitter Hitler would be the cutest failed artist turned dictator Pony

PurgeThisSite
Joined 10.30.15. 2 posts.

That seems like a lot of work for whoever is behind purgethissite to go through just to have one short off-topic, hateful rant in a thread that isnt even getting that much traffic.

I'm sure he could get some well earned brownie points over on that reddit of the same pejorative he used for the name of this forum. Not sure what he will do with them though, maybe they have achievement badges or something?

Must've been somebody's burner they had ready to go for a flameout like this. So long!

Dicktatorship

This is some pretty interesting comedy that is certainly on the bleeding edge of the bleeding edge. I don't know if you guys remember, but Hyde is associated with another comedy-performance artist that gained infamy for threatening Brianna Wu in character. This comedian's channel wasn't the alt-right persona that Sam Hyde has cultivated, but more of a 9/11 truther who thought his fans were trying to make him gay by flashing their dicks to him on skype. He also allegedly sent a friend to Jerusalem to look for fucking 2pac. He maintained his character 24/7 on his youtube and social media for several years without breaking character, until he had to come clean after the Brianna Wu controversy.

Sam Hyde was his mentor, and has taken the same approach with the development of his own comedic persona. The comedy extends beyond the show, into social media, public appearances, and etc. These are the facts. Now whether or not you think this level of immersion into performance art is responsible or not is up to you.

Personally, I'm really enjoying just how experimental this show is and the musical artists that they are collaborating with. They're clearly working on some high concept-stuff here beyond just being random and offensive, and I'm looking forward to how it turns out.

I haven't watched South Park for years but unless it has changed drastically, that stuff isn't even close to being "alt-right".

Seems like an accusation by people who haven't seen it or have seen clips out of context.

I mean some of their parody stuff completely misses its mark sometimes but those guys aren't bad people.

This show looks like trash though, in many different ways.

Triteon

Well, there is an alt-right on the internet, part of that movement has been part of harassment campaigns, part of it is just doing it because it's funny, and part of it is starting to bleed into real life politics.

Every liberal looking at stuff that doesn't ideologically fit in with their narrative and saying "that's alt-right" is new to this campaign though, and troubling.

There does seem to be strong movement in the left for stringent purity tests recently. Not unlike the purity tests we used to rightly mock the right for. Its getting a bit weird out there.

i love that the far-left, anime communist equivalent to cuckservative is just liberal.

Combat Liberalism said:
We stand for active ideological struggle because it is the weapon for ensuring unity within the Party and the revolutionary organizations in the interest of our fight. Every Communist and revolutionary should take up this weapon.

But liberalism rejects ideological struggle and stands for unprincipled peace, thus giving rise to a decadent, Philistine attitude and bringing about political degeneration in certain units and individuals in the Party and the revolutionary organizations.

Liberalism manifests itself in various ways.

To let things slide for the sake of peace and friendship when a person has clearly gone wrong, and refrain from principled argument because he is an old acquaintance, a fellow townsman, a schoolmate, a close friend, a loved one, an old colleague or old subordinate. Or to touch on the matter lightly instead of going into it thoroughly, so as to keep on good terms. The result is that both the organization and the individual are harmed. This is one type of liberalism.

To indulge in irresponsible criticism in private instead of actively putting forward one's suggestions to the organization. To say nothing to people to their faces but to gossip behind their backs, or to say nothing at a meeting but to gossip afterwards. To show no regard at all for the principles of collective life but to follow one's own inclination. This is a second type.

To let things drift if they do not affect one personally; to say as little as possible while knowing perfectly well what is wrong, to be worldly wise and play safe and seek only to avoid blame. This is a third type.

Not to obey orders but to give pride of place to one's own opinions. To demand special consideration from the organization but to reject its discipline. This is a fourth type.

To indulge in personal attacks, pick quarrels, vent personal spite or seek revenge instead of entering into an argument and struggling against incorrect views for the sake of unity or progress or getting the work done properly. This is a fifth type.

To hear incorrect views without rebutting them and even to hear counter-revolutionary remarks without reporting them, but instead to take them calmly as if nothing had happened. This is a sixth type.

To be among the masses and fail to conduct propaganda and agitation or speak at meetings or conduct investigations and inquiries among them, and instead to be indifferent to them and show no concern for their well-being, forgetting that one is a Communist and behaving as if one were an ordinary non-Communist. This is a seventh type.

To see someone harming the interests of the masses and yet not feel indignant, or dissuade or stop him or reason with him, but to allow him to continue. This is an eighth type.

To work half-heartedly without a definite plan or direction; to work perfunctorily and muddle along--"So long as one remains a monk, one goes on tolling the bell." This is a ninth type.

To regard oneself as having rendered great service to the revolution, to pride oneself on being a veteran, to disdain minor assignments while being quite unequal to major tasks, to be slipshod in work and slack in study. This is a tenth type.

To be aware of one's own mistakes and yet make no attempt to correct them, taking a liberal attitude towards oneself. This is an eleventh type.

We could name more. But these eleven are the principal types.

They are all manifestations of liberalism.

Liberalism is extremely harmful in a revolutionary collective. It is a corrosive which eats away unity, undermines cohesion, causes apathy and creates dissension. It robs the revolutionary ranks of compact organization and strict discipline, prevents policies from being carried through and alienates the Party organizations from the masses which the Party leads. It is an extremely bad tendency.

Liberalism stems from petty-bourgeois selfishness, it places personal interests first and the interests of the revolution second, and this gives rise to ideological, political and organizational liberalism.

People who are liberals look upon the principles of Marxism as abstract dogma. They approve of Marxism, but are not prepared to practice it or to practice it in full; they are not prepared to replace their liberalism by Marxism. These people have their Marxism, but they have their liberalism as well--they talk Marxism but practice liberalism; they apply Marxism to others but liberalism to themselves. They keep both kinds of goods in stock and find a use for each. This is how the minds of certain people work.

Liberalism is a manifestation of opportunism and conflicts fundamentally with Marxism. It is negative and objectively has the effect of helping the enemy; that is why the enemy welcomes its preservation in our midst. Such being its nature, there should be no place for it in the ranks of the revolution.

We must use Marxism, which is positive in spirit, to overcome liberalism, which is negative. A Communist should have largeness of mind and he should be staunch and active, looking upon the interests of the revolution as his very life and subordinating his personal interests to those of the revolution; always and everywhere he should adhere to principle and wage a tireless struggle against all incorrect ideas and actions, so as to consolidate the collective life of the Party and strengthen the ties between the Party and the masses; he should be more concerned about the Party and the masses than about any private person, and more concerned about others than about himself. Only thus can he be considered a Communist.

All loyal, honest, active and upright Communists must unite to oppose the liberal tendencies shown by certain people among us, and set them on the right path. This is one of the tasks on our ideological front.

--Combat Liberalism, Mao Zedong

(I mean, they're meaning it more in the sense of Locke/Smith liberalism than "opposite of conservative" liberalism. E.g. as the thing that replaced absolutism and was eventually challenged by fascism and communism; basically every American political party, and most European ones, are some flavor of liberalism under this definition).

bsp

This is some pretty interesting comedy that is certainly on the bleeding edge of the bleeding edge. I don't know if you guys remember, but Hyde is associated with another comedy-performance artist that gained infamy for threatening Brianna Wu in character. This comedian's channel wasn't the alt-right persona that Sam Hyde has cultivated, but more of a 9/11 truther who thought his fans were trying to make him gay by flashing their dicks to him on skype. He also allegedly sent a friend to Jerusalem to look for fucking 2pac. He maintained his character 24/7 on his youtube and social media for several years without breaking character, until he had to come clean after the Brianna Wu controversy.

Sam Hyde was his mentor, and has taken the same approach with the development of his own comedic persona. The comedy extends beyond the show, into social media, public appearances, and etc. These are the facts. Now whether or not you think this level of immersion into performance art is responsible or not is up to you.

Personally, I'm really enjoying just how experimental this show is and the musical artists that they are collaborating with. They're clearly working on some high concept-stuff here beyond just being random and offensive, and I'm looking forward to how it turns out.

Yeah, this is what I make of it. Sam has been satirizing red-pill culture for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom