• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Alt-Right Has Its Own Comedy TV Show On A Time Warner Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I had no idea about this since i dont really watch adult swim anymore. Im a fan of sam's style of comedy. I consider his style punk and not really affiliated with any specific political or social movement. Hes like 4chan personified.

Link please? I only noticed people accusing other people of accusing Obama of having alt right views.

Here you go.

Democrats can have an alt-right view same as a republican can have a democratic view. People don't believe 100% in their political affiliation. It's called an alt-right view because a lot of alt-right people like to prop it up as an issue when literally there's no evidence to say so. Did you know your democratic President also said he's not a supporter of gay marriage? People change and are not binary.

Jonm1010

Banned
Link please? I only noticed people accusing other people of accusing Obama of having alt right views.
Your fingers aren't broken. You clearly have enough time to post in this thread, do your own legwork.

I mean are you really claiming two seperate posters are lying to you? For what purpose or motive lol?

Interesting. I had no idea about this since i dont really watch adult swim anymore. Im a fan of sam's style of comedy. I consider his style punk and not really affiliated with any specific political or social movement. Hes like 4chan personified.

Have you visited 4chan recently? Because 99% of the user-base there is strongly affiliated with specific political positions. The alt-right was pretty much born on /pol/.

Jonm1010

Banned
Not really. I just found your hysterical phrasing funny
That's fine, I stand by it though.

What's more hysterical is your reactionary defense of a fairly benign criticism of the left to the point your first reaction was to infer that one of the longest posting liberals on this board is a GG'er.

shoplifter

So you're saying you're okay with this ?

I just watched it, it was utterly ridiculous. They followed it up with a sketch on how to make municipal tap water. You guys are way fucking overreacting. The show is an absurdist paradise. It means absolutely nothing.

They then follow up with multiple takes on the first sketch for half the show.

There's blackface in the second episode

Shared out of context, that sounds pretty shitty, but it is possible to use blackface "well", e.g. Tropic Thunder - which used a character pretending to be black to lampoon Hollywood's casual racism and misunderstanding of minority representation a number of years prior to this complaint going mainstream via the internet - so just saying "There's blackface" does not tell very much.

Not

Banned
Shared out of context, that sounds pretty shitty, but it is possible to use blackface "well", e.g. Tropic Thunder - which used a character pretending to be black to lampoon Hollywood's casual racism and misunderstanding of minority representation a number of years prior to this complaint going mainstream via the internet - so just saying "There's blackface" does not tell very much.

Somehow I doubt this was what the sketch was about

That's fine, I stand by it though.

What's more hysterical is your reactionary defense of a fairly benign criticism of the left to the point your first reaction was to infer that one of the longest posting liberals on this board is a GG'er.

I think you are showing some confirmation bias here. You have so subscribed to the theory that certain left-wingers are so sectarian that you see it everywhere. I never once called anyone a gamergater?

Jonm1010

Banned
For real though dude don't become what you hate.
No apologies.

I have a low threshold of tolerance after yesterday for people that are so sensitive and defensive to even the most benign criticism that they reach for character attack button immediately. Even if it was only inferred like those two.

I don't care how people characterize it, or how absurdist it is actually intended to be, I cannot abide the notion of giving someone like this a platform. You can call wearing blackface "absurdist" or "satirical" all you like, but ultimately, it's hard to see the satire involved in someone who, assuming that Buzzfeed ain't lying about his viewpoints, does have demonstrably shitty viewpoints and beliefs.

Your fingers aren't broken. You clearly have enough time to post in this thread, do your own legwork.

I mean are you really claiming two seperate posters are lying to you? For what purpose or motive lol?

Just link it

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

If I thought you were lying I would just say so. Posting a link shouldn't be a big deal.

Here you go.

Thanks for the link. Looking at the post, I'm not sure they were necessarily saying that Obama has alt right views, just that they share one specific stance. Even then, I think what Obama said has a lot more nuance than safe space opponents seem to think.

Rayis

I think I'm officially going to stop using the term alt-right, is giving those mufuckas' more attention than they deserve, and meh, let them have their comedy show if it makes them feel better.

Except on that shitpost in that safe space thread, I totally meant that ;)

Already was. Any more barriers or hoops you want me to jump through before I have a right to criticize the left for their own issues?

You speak of how irritating it is that people are leaping to make broad strokes on people as being alt-right, but your response to asking you to just link something instead of saying "Google it" is to be pretty damn disrespectful and try to lump me into this grievance that you are having. The only thing I can glean from that is that maybe you've recently moved into a beautiful glass house and decided "fuck it, let's throw some stones."

There is literally no way to take this show seriously

The creator is a Trump supporter who dislikes BlackLivesMatter and likes Alex Jones

It is a very reasonable possibility that part of the reason that we saw blackface was because he doesn't think that blackface is bad.

bsp

I don't care how people characterize it, or how absurdist it is actually intended to be, I cannot abide the notion of giving someone like this a platform. You can call wearing blackface "absurdist" or "satirical" all you like, but ultimately, it's hard to see the satire involved in someone who, assuming that Buzzfeed ain't lying about his viewpoints, does have demonstrably shitty viewpoints and beliefs.

Just link it

Buzzfeed isn't lying, but Sam is. Anyone familiar with Sam or MDE should know that everything he does is never some real statement. This is the same person who almost got away with Kickstarting an entirely fake/satirical brony game and got Jace Connors rolling as an extreme parody of GamerGate.

I guess you can still dislike him for pushing these fake views, but don't be mistaken in thinking it is sincere. He's an extremely competent person who isn't actual crusading for Alex Jones and white supremacy. Despite his niche of esotericism he is just basically a reactionary comedian who goes after everything for a response.

Man look

South Park is still funny, with some flat eps (like any long running show)

The 4th season of Boondocks was unwashed ass out of the gate but the first 2.5 were gold

This week's fascination with "alt-right" is crazy

That post you guys think is evidence or whatever isn't even saying Obama had alt right views. That poster is using him and his past view of gay marriage as an example of how views aren't binary. Being against gay marriage is a "normal" right view lol. Liberals can have views on certain topics that mirror the right and vice versa.

Buzzfeed isn't lying, but Sam is. Anyone familiar with Sam or MDE should know that everything he does is never some real statement. This is the same person who almost got away with Kickstarting an entirely fake/satirical brony game and got Jace Connors rolling as an extreme parody of GamerGate.

I guess you can still dislike him for pushing these fake views, but don't be mistaken in thinking it is sincere. He's an extremely competent person who isn't actual crusading for Alex Jones and white supremacy. He is, at the end of the day, just a pseudo-reactionary comedian. A troll.

I see. Well at the very least, I do not exactly care for him either way.

Buzzati

Banned

I guess you can still dislike him for pushing these fake views, but don't be mistaken in thinking it is sincere. He's an extremely competent person who isn't actual crusading for Alex Jones and white supremacy. Despite his niche of esotericism he is just basically a reactionary comedian who goes after everything for a response.

What makes you think he's not being sincere?

locustlx

It's funny it's almost as if everyone here hasn't watched the show and is merely spewing forth their opinions based on one article they may have skimmed.

The article itself is intended to give this reporter some likes on a twitter page. You know how I know that because for about 8 pages we haven't even been talking about the right show. We've been talking about South Park as if it justifies all the points in the original buzzfeed article. No one is willing to talk about the show itself because once we start doing that, we'll realized how absurd this whole entire thread actually is. All we are reacting on are posts on Twitter and videos on Youtube that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual show itself.

Buzzati

Banned
It's funny it's almost as if everyone here hasn't watched the show and is merely spewing forth their opinions based on one article they may have skimmed.

The article itself is intended to give this reporter some likes on a twitter page. You know how I know that because for about 8 pages we haven't even been talking about the right show. We've been talking about South Park as if it justifies all the points in the original buzzfeed article. No one is willing to talk about the show itself because once we start doing that, we'll realized how absurd this whole entire thread actually is. All we are reacting on are posts on Twitter and videos on Youtube that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual show itself.

The show isn't a good reflection of Sam's work and writings, elsewhere. The buzzfeed article specifically looks beyond the show for any implication upon Sam.

Jonm1010

Banned
You speak of how irritating it is that people are leaping to make broad strokes on people as being alt-right, but your response to asking you to just link something instead of saying "Google it" is to be pretty damn disrespectful and try to lump me into this grievance that you are having. The only thing I can glean from that is that maybe you've recently moved into a beautiful glass house and decided "fuck it, let's throw some stones."

The creator is a Trump supporter who dislikes BlackLivesMatter and likes Alex Jones

It is a very reasonable possibility that part of the reason that we saw blackface was because he doesn't think that blackface is bad.
Providing a personal observation is not broadbrushing. I didn't declare my opinion to be anything but.

SexyFish

Banned
There's blackface in the second episode

Jon-Hamm-Black-face-30-rock.gif

bsp

What makes you think he's not being sincere?

I can't link you to a comment or email of Sam calling it all a joke but it rather comes from being fooled too many times in the past. As I said in my previous reply this is a man who has assembled his entire comedic genre on fucking with people (fake Kickstarters, persons, TED talks, standup) and every kind of stereotype imaginable as he steals his mom's food stamps to buy cookies and tells some girl about it to humiliate himself. He leaves his political tirades to one-second flashes on some surrealist, insane video which would be too vague to even understand what he's talking about.

The only thing I can think of that remains consistent about Sam's beliefs is that he hates marijuana (evident in even World Peace with the teacher skit), expensive schools (like the ones he went to), the tech/marketing industry, and coddling young adults with said schools. The marijuana thing may even be not real as Nick is a pretty avid smoker. Intermixed is a whole lot of self-hatred.

It is possible he could finally be showing his true persona, I just doubt it. He is way too competent of a person to be seriously supporting conspiracies of Clinton's health like has been on Twitter recently.

jWILL253

Banned
A thread that once focused on whether a conservative-slanting, hate-spewing show ran by a twat had the merit to exist, is now caught up in an argument of semantics. Whodathunkit?

Note: For those who are suggesting alt-right is becoming a throwaway term like "SJW", please note that "SJW"-types that are asking for a small amount of decency, respect, and a break from your world of bullshit - they're actually harming absolutely NO ONE by requesting such things. Alt-right types cause active harm with their hateful rhetoric, constant harassment of prominent women and minorities, and extreme measure they take to silence dissenting opinions. So, you guys might want to re-evaluate this discussion.

On-topic: Adult Swim has always catered to edgelords a bit, so a show like this isn't too far from the norm for them. That said, this particular show should be an exception. Can't call it "social commentary" when the creator of said show isn't even trying to provide said commentary from a place of subjective neutrality.

Metrotab

Banned
A thread that once focused on whether a conservative-slanting, hate-spewing show ran by a twat had the merit to exist, is now caught up in an argument of semantics. Whodathunkit?

Note: For those who are suggesting alt-right is becoming a throwaway term like "SJW", please note that "SJW"-types that are asking for a small amount of decency, respect, and a break from your world of bullshit - they're actually harming absolutely NO ONE by requesting such things. Alt-right types cause active harm with their hateful rhetoric, constant harassment of prominent women and minorities, and extreme measure they take to silence dissenting opinions. So, you guys might want to re-evaluate this discussion.

On-topic: Adult Swim has always catered to edgelords a bit, so a show like this isn't too far from the norm for them. That said, this particular show should be an exception. Can't call it "social commentary" when the creator of said show isn't even trying to provide said commentary from a place of subjective neutrality.

What does your second paragraph even have to do with throwaway terms?

locustlx

Ultimately none of this even matters, tbh. We're talking about a show that airs on Friday night at 12:15 on Adult Swim. A show that gets less than a million viewers every week. It's not as if this is some sort of underground movement that is sweeping the nation. It's a 6-episode series that airs on Adult Swim...at midnight. What's funny to me is the vitrolic reaction this is all recieveing. It seems like MDE fans fall in two distinct camps. On one side you have the hardcore fans who take everything MDE do as what it's supposed to be, bad comedy. On the other side, you have all the individuals who prefer their comedy to be of the same monotonous routine showcasing an hightened consciousness and "globalist" perspective. But somewhere in the between, it's like we forgot that comedy, or any art for that matter, should constantly be challenging our beliefs. We need to be shocked and appalled because its shows us exactly where the line between acceptable and unaccetable opinions exists....and I'm just now realizing that's what's been hapening for the last couple of pages. So regardless of the actual content in the show itself, this show has engaged us on a discursive level that other shows only dreamed of reaching.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Going back to the article though, if you sit down and actually analyze the article (you can see how bad this is from a journalistic perspective)

The article's title calls out the fact that an "alt-right show" is on a Time Warner Network. But the article itself states: "Though none of the three episodes that have aired so far have touched on politics or the alt-right, they have hardly been in good taste."

The body of the article directly contradicts the headline of the article. But it doesn't matter because the vast majority of people don't read the body of the article. There are only two purposes to an article like this.

Number one...to give a journalist something "controversial" to talk about for the next couple of days and provide hits to his buzzfeed article / tweets (I bet in a couple of days, we'll see an article about the abuse this reporter recieved from MDE's twitter fans)

Number two...to give Buzzfeed's audience a reason to read their article and form a new crusade against a corporation. (since it's easier to get a show off the air then it is to actually tackle the injustices and sterotypes that exist both in the show and in reality)

All this is is new media fighting old media. New media is attempting to push a narrative that Time Warner, old media, (notice they didn't mention Cartoon Network [which would have enraged more people]) is pushing outdated sterotypes and that it is the new media's job to keep the old media in line with current political standards.

Sam Hyde and MDE are merely tiny pawns on a much bigger chess board. This has gone past the notion of a TV show and now we're talking about political discouse and various -isms. Now all of this is a totally valid discussion that needs to be engaged but it still doesn't change the fact that the article itself completly missed its original point.

It was supposed to show its audience how "alt-right" this new TV show is but it doesn't. The reporter knew this going into the story and instead highlighted a whole bunch of things unrelated to the show in an attempt to smear the "brand of MDE".

jWILL253

Banned
What does your second paragraph even have to do with throwaway terms?

It means that "SJW" is the only throwaway term in that entire discussion. Dismissing those who preach acceptance with a term that... to be honest, isn't really much of an insult. And it isn't even accurate. Asking for someone to not be a dicklord doesn't make him/her a warrior for social justice.

Alt-right, on the other hand, is right on the goddamn money for the actions, opinions, and sentiments the folks who fall under that umbrella hold.

It's used to label online communities of neo Nazis, homophobes, and sexists that are willing to to attack anyone that isn't on their side.

What are you really trying to say?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
To be fair, alt right is already getting overused to label all kinds of jerks.
It's used to label online communities of neo Nazis, homophobes, and sexists that are willing to to attack anyone that isn't on their side.

What are you really trying to say?

Buzzati

Banned
I can't link you to a comment or email of Sam calling it all a joke but it rather comes from being fooled too many times in the past. As I said in my previous reply this is a man who has assembled his entire comedic genre on fucking with people (fake Kickstarters, persons, TED talks, standup) and every kind of stereotype imaginable as he steals his mom's food stamps to buy cookies and tells some girl about it to humiliate himself. He leaves his political tirades to one-second flashes on some surrealist, insane video which would be too vague to even understand what he's talking about.

The only thing I can think of that remains consistent about Sam's beliefs is that he hates marijuana (evident in even World Peace with the teacher skit), expensive schools (like the ones he went to), the tech/marketing industry, and coddling young adults with said schools. The marijuana thing may even be not real as Nick is a pretty avid smoker. Intermixed is a whole lot of self-hatred.

It is possible he could finally be showing his true persona, I just doubt it. He is way too competent of a person to be seriously supporting conspiracies of Clinton's health like has been on Twitter recently.

Well, like you - I don't have confirmational evidence that the multitude of bigoted things Sam has said are sincere reflections of his ideas. I really hope you're right, because there are aspects to his comedy that I really like, but I can't reconcile that with those opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom