• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The colors of this photo will appear different to everyone. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtyle

regardless what colors each person sees, I will also say this, not all monitors will display these colors the same. Basically not all our monitors are calibrated to display the colors the same...so maybe there is that too??

I'm just arguing about the primary colors of the picture (which are obviously blueish and goldish), not the actual objects inside of them.

FiggyCal

Banned
xpHEms1.jpg

Come on guys, HOW IS THIS BLACK?
We might be getting trolled. I don't even...

This is clearly white and gold.

Skux

White and gold. The white look a bit blueish, but that's because of the white balance.

Why on earth would it be black to anyone? It would have to be dark to be black.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Seriously, it's plainly blue and a dark, somewhat brownish gold. I can sort of see how the gold might be an overexposed black, but I cannot fathom how you can see white in that.

It's not like a white-white, like paper or something. It's a white color that's been tinted blue because it's in shadow.

Despera

Banned
I remember having a lengthy discussion with friends about the perception of colour, citing different articles about the subject online.

but this is kind of experiment is new to me haha

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, now this is freaking weird. For shits and giggles, I inverted the image. To me, the colors look EXACTLY THE SAME but they... switched positions.

9m3sunn.jpg

So GAF, I will attach the explanation below. TL DR, some of you will primarily see blue and black in this photo, and some will see white and gold. I personally see blue and black, while my girlfriend sees white and gold.

There is also a chance that I am full of shit, so see for yourself and compare results.

npnAHBt.gif

Explanation:

I just see a dress.

Izuna

Banned
We might be getting trolled. I don't even...

This is clearly white and gold.

That isn't white though, look at the colour closely. Does it look like the same colour as the text (dark GF background) the reply button even?

Okay, now this is freaking weird. For shits and giggles, I inverted the image. To me, the colors look EXACTLY THE SAME but they... switched positions.

9m3sunn.jpg

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

BraXzy

I see weird blue with gold, but I know that the weird blue is just badly photographed white.

So white and gold.

MiszMasz

Feeling kinda sorry for the people in this thread who've lived their lives thinking they were white when they're actually blue.

Frith

i'm looking at a color calibrated monitor i use for grading and its white and gold with a slight blue white balance. white like you were shooting in daylight with tungsten white balanced camera.

my eyes are sweet and also rad

photoshop says blueish white and gold

blue and black crew hi functioning like having an extra chromosome is not always the best

a-v-b when you say is a saturated black don't you mean was not is, who cares how we got here the colors are measurable as white and gold

I really don't see how black could be that level of bright brown. And its not my eyes, as others have pointed out in this thread.

So you see what, a gradient? That fades to black?

If I take a colour picker, I can see that the darkest part of the dress is that colour with less luminance.

I think a big part of this discussion is going to revolve around a difference of interpretation at this point. Both types of people will hear "What color is this dress in this photo?"

Some will interpret that as "What color is the dress...that is in this photo." That's currently me. So I can see a picture of something that's black, and even when the picture is all washed out, even when that means the actual pixel no longer has a value of 'black', I know that the dress in the photo is black, so I say black.

Others will interpret it as "What color is the dress as it appears in the photo?" Those people (me previously, I think) saw it as white and gold. Because the actually values of the colors of the pixels are white and gold. Regardless of what the color of the dress actually is, in the photo, it looks like white and gold to these people.

I'm wondering if this distinction of "what color is the dress v. what color are the pixels" has to do with people getting different colors. I mean, I saw white and gold for most of the thread, but when I saw the corrected version, suddenly it switched to blue and black. Is that because, now that I know what color the dress actually is in reality, my mind won't let me see it how the pixels actually are in the photo? I don't know. I'd have to do more tests.

My hypothesis still wouldn't explain why some people see black&blue immediately, and white some see white&gold, even after exposure to the corrected image.

RoKKeR

Just asked my two roommates and they said white and gold. Was pretty surprised for some reason because it is so clearly blue and gold to me, interesting stuff!

FiggyCal

Banned
That isn't white though, look at the colour closely. Does it look like the same colour as the text (dark GF background) the reply button even?

I looked at it on my second monitor and it is actual more blue than white. Still very visibly gold on both though.

Vaporak

I'd be really helpful if people looked at the photoshop selections of the colors and said what they see there. It seems to me like there's a lot of people with bad eyesight in here. :/

Burt

Okay shit, I came back to it after ten minutes and it went from being very black and very blue to very white and very gold. Something is wrong here.

I can definitively say that if you're arguing technicalities and stuff, you're doing it wrong. It's very clearly one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom