• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The colors of this photo will appear different to everyone. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarion07

People seeing deep blue and black are the ones getting the optical illusion. There is no black on the dress in the photo, only light blue and yellowish brown.

Ummm what?
Of course in the picture it does not show deep blue and black.
But that's what a brain is for.
Translating imagery according to the surrounding conditions.
You do realize that your eyes perceive eveything upside down?
It's the brain that turns it back around.
And there is no argueing that the dress in real life is black and blue.

Zoe

Ummm what?
You do realize that your eyes perfeive eveything upside down?
That is why it's an optical illusion. Some people here have said that they see deep blue and black instead of the colors shown in Photoshop.

I don't believe I've seen anyone say they see pure white and gold.

Anarion07

That is why it's an optical illusion. Some people here have said that they see deep blue and black instead of the colors shown in Photoshop.

Ok yeah, everyone who says that in the picture, the depicted colours are deep blue and black are wrong.
But the answer to the question "Which colour is this dress" is blue and black.

Its a question of semantics then

I think most people saying either black/blue or white/gold mean that if they were to order that dress in this picture, that's the colour they would get delivered.
And in this regard, white/gold is simply wrong.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
YOu guys should take this test. it pushes some pretty awesome parts of your color vision.

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

post your score.
Whoa, got a perfect zero. Didn't expect that.

7FxoyCm.png

I first saw the picture in the OP as blue and dark brown, in an overexposed pic with a yellowish light.

People have to be changing the picture, last night I saw it on the tumbler or w.e and it was clearly dark/medium blue and faded black.

But the one in OP looks white/super light blue and gold.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

The way it's been described both camps are seeing an optical illusion, the brain correcting one for shade and the other for artificial light. No one would describe the sky blue as white, or the brown as black.

A third camp just sees the image as it is with no correction.

Anarion07

The way it's been described both camps are seeing an optical illusion, the brain correcting one for shade and the other for artificial light. No one would describe the sky blue as white, or the brown as black.

A third camp just sees the image as it is with no correction.

Exactly. It's all about the question you ask.

"What colours can you see on this picture"
or
"What colour is this dress"

Ummm what?
You do realize that your eyes perceive eveything upside down?
In real life it is black and blue. In that picture it is absolutely not the case (well... the "white" is actually light blue).

An RGB colour picker will be able to verify that. In fact anything on the white -> black spectrum would have to have equal RGB values, which those colours do not have. So anyone who sees that orangey/brown/gold as black is not perceiving it correctly.

conman

YOu guys should take this test. it pushes some pretty awesome parts of your color vision.

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

post your score.
Scored a zero. And it didn't take long either.

The dress for me has constantly switched back and forth, but the thing that always brings me back to blue/black is the small strip of black and white clothing just on the lower left edge of the image, between the dress and the edge of the frame. Once I focus on the black and white sliver, the dress locks in at blue and black sometimes right before my eyes. It's a weird thing watching the dress suddenly transforming from gold/white to blue/black.

I haven't found a way to consistently switch it back from blue/black to white/gold. Usually, it appears white/gold when I haven't looked at it in a while and just see the top of the image (the part without the black and white strip on the lower right side). But as soon as I see that sliver on the edge, it locks in at blue/black.

lednerg

If the dress was white and gold, it would look like the one on the left:
PZZdifE.jpg

Here it is with the contrast and white balance corrected:
dqrP4GH.jpg

Alright, I think I'm done with this.

Anarion07

In real life it is black and blue. In that picture it is absolutely not the case (well... the "white" is actually light blue).

An RGB colour picker will be able to verify that. In fact anything on the white -> black spectrum would have to have equal RGB values, which those colours do not have. So anyone who sees that orangey/brown/gold as black is not perceiving it correctly.

As I said, I think a lot of people talk about what colour the dress is, and not what colour the pixels in this image are.
Semantics.

People have to be changing the picture, last night I saw it on the tumbler or w.e and it was clearly dark/medium blue and faded black.

But the one in OP looks white/super light blue and gold.

And now after a shower the OP one looks like blue and black to me, weird as fuck.

pestul

If the dress was white and gold, it would look like the one on the left:
PZZdifE.jpg

Here it is with the contrast and white balance corrected:
dqrP4GH.jpg

Alright, I think I'm done with this.
I'm still not seeing black in any way in either version. I just see a darker 'gold' even on the right. I do see a blue-ish tinge to both parts people see as white, however I would say that the dress was white and gold with a poor exposure. This is really neat how people see it so differently.

3phemeral

I'm still not seeing black in any way in either version. I just see a darker 'gold' even on the right. I do see a blue-ish tinge to both parts people see as white, however I would say that the dress was white and gold with a poor exposure. This is really neat how people see it so differently.

That absolutely blows my mind that even in the version that's been modified to be blue and black, that you see white and gold. I'm actually a bit jealous that I can't seem to switch my perception like some others are able to, but I gather it's not something as simple as that spinning dancer silhouette.

b0qXEU

Anarion07

That absolutely blows my mind that even in the version that's been modified to be blue and black, that you see white and gold. I'm actually a bit jealous that I can't seem to switch my perception like some others are able to, but I gather it's not something as simple as that spinning dancer silhouette.

Same here. I can't force my mind to think the dress could be white and gold.
Of course in some altered pictures the colours are a really really bright blue and a gold/brown tint, but I still know it is a blue and black dress.

rjinaz

Whoa, got a perfect zero. Didn't expect that.

7FxoyCm.png

I first saw the picture in the OP as blue and dark brown, in an overexposed pic with a yellowish light.

Got a 0 as well. That was actually kind of fun.

I see light blue and gold dress colors by the way.

JesseZao

I think part of this depends on how tired your eyes are. Last night I could see the white and gold then faint blue and black. Today it's dark blue and black.

4500 posts in and people are still harping on about RGB values.
4500 posts in and people are still harping on that they're seeing black WHEN IT ISN'T BLACK!

As I said, I think a lot of people talk about what colour the dress is, and not what colour the pixels in this image are.
Semantics.

We're talking about the original picture of the dress, not what it looks like in real life or in other pictures.

The white balance of the camera that took that photo was not accurate so it recorded the image with inaccurate colour (which differs from the real article), but it still doesn't make the brown in the original photo black.

Camera phones usually have an automatic white balance, so when you have a blinding light beamed directly into the lens (as in the original photo) it'll adjust the colour to that light (which probably isn't white). Take another photo seconds later and what the camera perceives as white will likely change again thus making the dress appear differently.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Really don't understand how someone would interpret the blue as white. Sure the picture's got some weird exposure and lighting, but directly next to the damn thing there's a rack with clothing that undebatably has white patterning, and it couldn't be more evident that the dress's color is an entirely different shade from that.

This feels more like a test for total blindness to visual contextualization than it does to color acuity.

MiszMasz

4500 posts in and people are still harping on that they're seeing black WHEN IT ISN'T BLACK!

We're talking about the original picture of the dress, not what it looks like in real life or in other pictures.

We are actually talking about the dress, not the digital image. As are most other places on the net. That's the point, given the way the camera captured the image, what colour would you say this dress is?

That is the point of the illusory effect, regardless of RGB values, it's a question of perception and the different experiences of colour constancy people have.

The OP was worded wrong, and we've had several explanations of what's going on with how people see this dress. Unfortunately, lots of people won't even read a few pages back and pop into the thread with another drive-by about RGB values and what photoshop says as if that's all there is to it.
We know, we absolutely know what sort of colours are actually in this image, but that is not the point and were it that simple there wouldn't be any discussion in the first place.

We are actually talking about the dress, not the digital image. As are most other places on the net. That's the point, given the way the camera captured the image, what colour would you say this dress is?

That is the point of the illusory effect, regardless of RGB values, it's a question of perception and the different experiences of colour constancy people have.

The OP was worded wrong, and we've had several explanations of what's going on with how people see this dress. Unfortunately, lots of people won't even read a few pages back and pop into the thread with another drive-by about RGB values and what photoshop says.
We know, we absolutely know what sort of colours are actually in this image, but that is not the point and were it that simple there wouldn't be any discussion in the first place.
So I'm being asked to determine the colour of the actual dress without seeing it in person? If you post a digital image and ask me: What colour is this dress then I'm going to base my answer on what I see before me.

It is astonishing that there have been thousands of posts on this...

lednerg

We know that it isn't black in the picture, but we can also tell that the entire picture is yellow, as evidenced by the object behind the dress to the left. So we subtract the yellow and see that the stripes are really black. We do this more or less automatically. It's like looking at a picture with an old-timey Instragram filter and knowing that the green sky is really blue, and the yellow shirt is white.

Anarion07

So I'm being asked to determine the colour of the actual dress without seeing it in person? If you post a digital image and ask me: What colour is this dress then I'm going to base my answer on what I see before me.

Yes, that's what it was initially about.
Her band had been booked to play at a wedding in Colonsay of McNeil's friends, Grace and Keir Johnston. Grace had been sent a photo by her mother that revealed the dress she planned to wear to the ceremony: due to the quality of the photo, both the bride and groom were unsure over whether the dress depicted was coloured blue and black, or white and gold.

from Wikipedia

MiszMasz

So I'm being asked to determine the colour of the actual dress without seeing it?

I am astonished that there have been thousands of posts on this...

Sort of, so: Given the original image, what colour would you say this dress is?
Not: What colour are the pixels in this image?

There's so much discussion on this because people perceive the colours of the dress differently, regardless of the actual RGB values in the image.

joetachi

i want some of the white gold people with artistic talent to draw and paint everything in the pic just to know what else they see different.

The overexposure is the key. Look at the light in the areas next to the dress .. . they are all washed out due to too much light. If you can get your brain to apply those lighting conditions to the dress, it will appear blue/black. But there is only a small amount of context lighting so your brain is using the ambient lighting of your local room.

Basically, it is a real life version of this famous optical illusion wherein the A and B squares are actually the exact same color:
Grey_square_optical_illusion.PNG

checkerboard.jpg

How does the dark gray tile B appear white? Because it is in the context of the shade from the cylinder.

3phemeral

i want some of the white gold people with artistic talent to draw and paint everything in the pic just to know what else they see different.

I'm inclined to believe that those with an artistic eye would probably interpret the dress as black and blue but then you'd still have to ask them in two ways:

• Recreate the dress as you think it looks like in reality
  • Duplicate the image hue for hue.

Although, I am curious about someone who sees it as white and gold - without copy pasting the pixel values - drawing the dress as they imagine it to exist in person.

MiszMasz

This gif is great. I can finally see my initial white/gold reaction again :D

And i can't, but that's fine in both our cases.
And that's why this is actually interesting, because our senses of colour constancy are different.
You can see the flip between colours, whereas to me it always looks like a blue and black dress, but just under different lighting conditions. As if someone's turning a strong, yellow-tinted light on and off.

This picture is blowing my mind. The first time I looked, I thought it was plainly white and gold. When I looked again later it was blue and black. Mind blowing!

bengraven

The overexposure is the key. Look at the light in the areas next to the dress .. . they are all washed out due to too much light. If you can get your brain to apply those lighting conditions to the dress, it will appear blue/black. But there is only a small amount of context lighting so your brain is using the ambient lighting of your local room.

Basically, it is a real life version of this famous optical illusion wherein the A and B squares are actually the exact same color:
Grey_square_optical_illusion.PNG

checkerboard.jpg

How does the dark gray tile B appear white? Because it is in the context of the shade from the cylinder.

This.

ItIsOkBro

dear diary,

today the dress is black and blue.

surefire way to get it from gold to black: just at the upper half of the dress while squinting your eyes. squint for like 30 seconds. then slowly, slowly open your eyes and it should be black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom