• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

Zafir

It's already as announced as it's going to get for a while, they're working on it and still have every intention of releasing it. The amount of text in the game is just ridiculous so that's why it's going to be so long before it gets released. The next time XSEED officially comments on it probably won't be until next year, and it will probably be an announcement for the platform (probably PC) and a release date.

And the main story in Trails does wrap up, so it's not like you'd get to the end and feel like you've only played half a game. It's more like you'd played a complete game that was just the first episode in a series. I'm not even sure if SC actually provides closure, though it's probably at least a bit better than the first game in that regard.
Well, that's exactly what I mean. It's not going to be released for a good year or two, and that's if they don't decide to cancel it(Not that I'm saying that they will, I find it hard to believe they'd give up after putting so much effort in, but it's a small possibility). I realise that the TitS arc will be solved, but it's clearly part of a much larger plot which won't be covered, and I just know that will bug me. Consequently, I'd rather wait to finish it nearer the time.

Oath in Felghana. I don't know why everyone is saying Trails over Oath. They're all crazy.

That's where all JRPGs end.

Yeah but i'm sure you know what i meant ;) technically every RPG out of japan is a JRPG but most of the time what we as longtime gamers mean by JRGP is the connotation of the traditional turn based Final Fantasy style type of game that made the genre popular...

And Oath in Felghana is definitely as far from that as you can get!

Jigsaw

Banned
I didn't really like previous PSO/PSU games but I bought it for 5 €. Didn't start it yet, though lol. I hope I'll like it this time. Reviews said that this game is basically the best of the PSU/PSP series.

i can't find it on the euro store anymore,i could swear i saw it just the other day

naib

Just caved and bought Tactics Ogre.

If you have a digital copy, does it even do you any good to do a data install? I assume it's there to improve load times for the UMD? Installing it anyway. I figured maybe it's decompressing something or some shit. LOL

Ended up picking up Gods Eater from PSN and holy crap does the game look great, but even better, it plays 100% times better with the camera controls. It a true analog camera too, can rotate, swing up and down, pan back and forth....so good.

Im having FF9 withdrawal symptoms. Have the game on my PSP but I need it on my new go to handheld. Wonder how long it will take for Sony to patch in PSX support?

If you have a digital copy, does it even do you any good to do a data install? I assume it's there to improve load times for the UMD? Installing it anyway. I figured maybe it's decompressing something or some shit. LOL

only thing it does it take up space lol. like 600MB you could do with installing another game ;P

spats

Ended up picking up Gods Eater from PSN and holy crap does the game look great, but even better, it plays 100% times better with the camera controls. It a true analog camera too, can rotate, swing up and down, pan back and forth....so good.

Im having FF9 withdrawal symptoms. Have the game on my PSP but I need it on my new go to handheld. Wonder how long it will take for Sony to patch in PSX support?

No official word on when we'll get the PS1 BC patch.

We'ge gotten some vague 'soon's in the ps blog comments so my guess would be june/summer.

Bumhead

Banned
So i bought Half Minute-Hero today on GAF recommendations. Its amazing! Only done the first 2 areas so far but it looks fantastic.

le.phat

I somehow thought that with most psp games running better on VITA ,FFT would have less slowdown or something. It does not. Every single ability slows to a crawl, making it unplayable to me :(

I somehow thought that with most psp games running better on VITA ,FFT would have less slowdown or something. It does not. Every single ability slows to a crawl, making it unplayable to me :(

Its not that bad. I mean, I played FFT off a UMD disc, where not only did the game slow but you would here the UMD drive speed up and chug along with the animations. The game is amazing, and you wont notice it after awhile.

Yeah no need to install twice. I think the Vita already improves load times for PSP games.

BTW did you know TO:LUCT might be onsale on Tuesday because of the Gamer Award thing? =/

le.phat

Its not that bad. I mean, I played FFT off a UMD disc, where not only did the game slow but you would here the UMD drive speed up and chug along with the animations. The game is amazing, and you wont notice it after awhile.

Dont get me wrong, i love FFT, have it on PSX, UMD and now also on vita DD. I love the new translation but i really REALLY hoped VITA could turn th DD version in the definitive version. As it stands, i prefer the PSX version with its butchered translation over this version. Seeing the game slowdown over a fucking potion just pisses me off.

Dont get me wrong, i love FFT, have it on PSX, UMD and now also on vita DD. I love the new translation but i really REALLY hoped VITA could turn th DD version in the definitive version. As it stands, i prefer the PSX version with its butchered translation over this version. Seeing the game slowdown over a fucking potion just pisses me off.

But its a potion! All of Ivalice stands silent before the might of the great potion.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What would be the best version of the hardware to pick up these days? Go or one of the disc based ones?

2000/3000, whichever you find cheaper. That way you can play UMD only games. Still get digital copies of anything available on PSN for compatibility though.

I just started playing Tactics Ogre: LUCT and it's immense, it even installs the game to your memory card to load faster! Genius. More games should do that.

Just re-downloaded and tried out my old copy of Crimson Gem Saga on the Vita.

All I have to say is "Wow!" That OLED screen makes 2D sprites look beautiful!

I can't WAIT for Disgaea 4 on the Vita! You know it's coming! ;)

Yeah, I love playing PSP games on the Vita. In fact, I've spent more money on PSP games than Vita ones since I got it! I bought HSG ($30) and Wipeout ($40-20=$20) with a bonus $20 gift card, so $50 on Vita games.

For PSP games, I bought:

Tactics Ogre: LUCT ($20)
Valkyria Chronicles II + DLC ($22.50)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX ($10)
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky ($20)

PSP total: $72.50

And I'm STILL excited to eventually play Darkstalkers, Ys Seven, Ys: Oath in Felghana, Half Minute Hero, Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, Dissidia 012: Duodecim, Corpse Party, Disgaea 1, 2+3, Z.H.P., Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins, Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X, Prinny 1+2, Person 1, 2+3, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus, God of War: Chains of Olympus, God of War: Ghost of Sparta, and maybe Cladun 1+2. And this is just what's on the Vita store right now!

It's pretty much like the Vita launched with a ton of great games, because the experience on the Vita is so vastly superior to the one on the PSP.

I must say, though, that buying Tactics Ogre and VCII at the same time may have been a mistake. They're both awesome, obviously, but having two very-long SRPGs at once is pretty daunting, haha. It's often hard to choose which to play!

Colocho

Banned
What's the consensus on White Knight Chronicles? I'm thinking about picking it up (for the PSP though, don't have a Vita just yet).

inner-G

Banned
I just started playing Tactics Ogre: LUCT and it's immense, it even installs the game to your memory card to load faster! Genius. More games should do that.

I don't think that will make any difference when you're already playing it off of a memory card instead of a UMD.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm trying to decide whether just to play TiTS on my PSP with my UMD Copy I bought, whether to buy and download it now to play on the Vita, or whether to buy it later when it potentially goes on sale for half off.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's pretty much like the Vita launched with a ton of great games, because the experience on the Vita is so vastly superior to the one on the PSP.

Vita may be the first time ever where B/C improved the previous platform's library as far as consoles go. (PC games often do get better with upgrades to hardware.)

Going back and playing the PSP fighting games on Vita is shocking. Between the godlike d-pad, huge screen, and complete lack of ghosting and blurring of 60fps movement, they're like new games.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I can wait.

Imagine when Sony patches in PS2 support? OMG, Vita will be the handheld of the gens.

Is it confirmed it's in the works?
I know the PS3 does it via software, would be amazing if the PSV can do it...

What's the consensus on White Knight Chronicles? I'm thinking about picking it up (for the PSP though, don't have a Vita just yet).

a ok game.(psp)
Its just that there are so many games in the same genre that are better choices.
Nothing is broken but nothing stand out.
The 2nd ps3 game is the version to get if you wish to know the overall story of the saga.

Would love to play Valkyria Chronicles 2 but I have no PS3 so I gotta wait till they put it on the Vita store. If Tactics Ogre wins the contest, I just may purchase it. I miss the days of putting in 60+ hours in an RPG. Need those moments to come back and I think the Vita will help with that.

Pewp

Valhalla Knigts is on sale (and the sequel too). Any thought on these games? Can't find any proper gameplay video.

I bought this and so far, it's not too good. I've never really played an RPG of that style, so perhaps it was not for me.

naib

Yeah no need to install twice. I think the Vita already improves load times for PSP games.

BTW did you know TO:LUCT might be onsale on Tuesday because of the Gamer Award thing? =/
Just read that in another thread.. :(

Guess I should go vote for something else. Ha!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Monster Hunter was a good decision... I'm having fun with it and the second analog is awesome.

I just wish it was online... :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Tits:
Oh my god, haha. Olivier conversations. I hope this game has more awesome chars like this one.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
was just there earlier today <3

Couldnt stop smiling and laughing. Totally out of the blue. Big plus for the game if it has more surprises like that.

Lain

Valhalla Knigts is on sale (and the sequel too). Any thought on these games? Can't find any proper gameplay video.

I love Valhalla Knights. It's not a looker, but it's fun as a loot/action rpg, and on Vita runs pretty well (no slow down in battles that I've seen so far, unlike on PSP). I hate Valhalla Knights 2 though. Maybe Battle Stance fixes my annoyance with it, but i haven't tried that.
You basically make your party (during the game some characters will join you, but mostly you'll be making your own characters) and go into the dungeon to complete quests. As you advance, you'll be able to switch classes, making it easier to build a character able to be a melee that is also able to cast heals etc. If you do get Valhalla Knights, I advise you to start as a warrior and make a healer character to bring with you at the start, makes the start easier. Also, a party of 3/4 good characters is better for leveling than a full party, as the bigger the party, the less the exp you'll get, since the total is divided among everyone in the party.

If you're considering buying the European version of Valhalla Knights 1 though, be advised, the fuckers at Rising Star removed the ability to start as a female character (which might not be a bother to others, but it was to me).

Top Bottom