• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

KingK

I really want P3P, but $40 is pretty expensive. If I get through all the other, cheaper games that I want to play and it still hasn't gone down it price, then I'll just pay up anyway.

xxczx

I really want P3P, but $40 is pretty expensive. If I get through all the other, cheaper games that I want to play and it still hasn't gone down it price, then I'll just pay up anyway.
That's what they want you to do!

scy

P3P was a release day purchase (on Vita, lol) for me, and I have >95 hours played on it so far. For me, it was worth $40 :p

I can easily see how $40 is a stretch for most people though, that's pretty expensive.

Especially when you already own it three times.

I eagerly await them to find a way to get me to buy Persona 3 a fifth time.

TheExodu5

Banned
P3P is absolutely worth $40, but not for long. P4 is simply a better game and the Vita version will be the definitive version of that game. If you're going to buy one, the choice is clear.

I just purchased a Vita (birthday gift!), so I'll be making purchases from the PSN store soon. I play to rebuy some of my game (Trials, and YS7). I plan to buy Tactics Orges and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Now, my question, should I buy the 16 of 32 memory stick? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Labadal

I just purchased a Vita (birthday gift!), so I'll be making purchases from the PSN store soon. I play to rebuy some of my game (Trials, and YS7). I plan to buy Tactics Orges and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Now, my question, should I buy the 16 of 32 memory stick? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Buy the 32gb MC if you plan on buying lots of DD games.

Venfayth

P3P is absolutely worth $40, but not for long. P4 is simply a better game and the Vita version will be the definitive version of that game. If you're going to buy one, the choice is clear.

Yeah. P4 Vita .. hnnggggghhhhhh.

Hope we get it this year :(

Kind of crazy how expensive P3P is on the US PSN when it's only 2,300 ish yen on the JP one. One of those strange cases of Japan actually being cheaper with something? Dear god, my world is crashing down upon me.

xxczx

wow wow wow

God Eater looks AMAZING on the Vita. You could really notice the dithering on PSP but unless you're looking for it, it's barely noticeable anymore!

Now to get hooked all over again

blackflag

wow wow wow

God Eater looks AMAZING on the Vita. You could really notice the dithering on PSP but unless you're looking for it, it's barely noticeable anymore!

Now to get hooked all over again

I just couldn't deal with not having the second analog. That's why I gave up MH on the psp too. God eater is glorious on the psp. Still don't understand most of the bullet stuff but I am hooked

C-Jo

Kind of crazy how expensive P3P is on the US PSN when it's only 2,300 ish yen on the JP one. One of those strange cases of Japan actually being cheaper with something? Dear god, my world is crashing down upon me.
Atlus' digital PSP pricing is all out of whack now. Really hoping for some significant price drops soon. I'm more than willing to double dip, but not at $40 a pop.

Joe Molotov

I don't know if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but I was just noticing that some stuff is cheaper on Gamestop than it is in the PSN store. Not much, most of it is the same, some of it is more expensive, but still.

Cladun - $14.99 PSN --> $9.99 GS
Disgaea 1 - $14.99 PSN --> $9.99 GS
Disgaea Infinite - $14.99 PSN --> $7.99 GS
ZHP - $29.99 PSN --> $19.99 GS

It's worth checking GS's digital prices first if you're about to buy a PSP game.

Unfortunately, the Persona games are $40 no matter where you buy them from.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That's what I decided. It'll be a good investment down the road, since I'll be getting a lot of my PSP from PSN.

I went and got a 32 after I realized most Vita games got a nice discount for buying DD.

That will pay for itself before too long.

Meier

VC2 looks beautiful. So excited to finally play this!

Two questions: Does the install option actually do anything in this case where it's already digital? And is the DLC playable on the Vita too? I just copied the game thus far.

VC2 looks beautiful. So excited to finally play this!

Two questions: Does the install option actually do anything in this case where it's already digital? And is the DLC playable on the Vita too? I just copied the game thus far.

the install won't do anything. and all 22 DLC works on vita.

Ingram

Only thing stopping me from buying VC2 is that my GF has VC1 sitting there that I could play instead.

The idea of playing games on any other platform besides the Vita is something I'm still not ready for yet. Would be cool if remote play could work for VC1?

Eusis

I've tried installs before on a digital copy (Hexyz Force). Noticed no difference with or without it, so the only time it's ever going to matter is Peace Walker, and that's because of some of the audio data being decompressed to use. Even then I believe there's a specific option JUST for decompressing that data and not a full blown install.

So I saw those voting things online... any chance Tactics Ogre will be on sale? I have it on PSP, and I don't want to drop another 20 on it. I'm tempted to double dip on TitS because I want to support Xseed.

How can I get my old saves onto my psv?

maks

I don't know if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but I was just noticing that some stuff is cheaper on Gamestop than it is in the PSN store. Not much, most of it is the same, some of it is more expensive, but still.

It's worth checking GS's digital prices first if you're about to buy a PSP game.

Unfortunately, the Persona games are $40 no matter where you buy them from.

First post of this thread covers those. Here are some others from CAG...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287798
PSP
Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos - GameStop.com - $5.99 - 25% off
Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light - GameStop.com - $5.99 - 25% off
CLADUN: This is an RPG! - GameStop.com - $9.99 - 50% off
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - GameStop.com - $9.99 - 33% off
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days - GameStop.com - $14.99 - 25% off
Disgaea Infinite - GameStop.com - $7.99 - 47% off
Dragoneer's Aria - GameStop.com - $7.99 - 20% off
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance - GameStop.com - $7.99 - 20% off
Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle - GameStop.com - $9.99 - 50% off
Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? - GameStop.com - $7.99 - 20% off
Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood! - GameStop.com - $9.99 - 66% off
Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman - GameStop.com - $19.99 - 33% off

So I guess it would be worth it to get a VITA if I plan to buy anymore PSP games? There are still some PSP RPG's I still want to play, but it seems like playing them on VITA is a much better experience from what I've read so far.

.... Has SEGA just removed Phantasy Star Portable 2 from the EU store?

Not showing up on PS3 nor Vita, was about to buy too.

I can confirm this, it's nowhere to be seen and I just wanted to get it too...

I wish there would be a warning if something vanishes from PSN, 3-4 days before would be enough.

Great thread OP, thanks so much, I had completely forgotten about the Ys games. Wanted to play them back in the day but never got around to buying a PSP.
Have put maybe 9 or 10 hours into Ys Seven, really good fun. I'm very impressed by the battery life when playing these games, too, I used barely 20% of my battery playing this for a few hours on an east to west coast trip today.

Jigsaw

Banned
I can confirm this, it's nowhere to be seen and I just wanted to get it too...

I wish there would be a warning if something vanishes from PSN, 3-4 days before would be enough.

maybe they are about to release psp2i on psn and don't want psp2 to eat up sales

fu sega

Anyone have any recommendations for their favorite vita compatible coop titles? Whether adhoc party compatible or infastructure?

So far I have monster hunter freedom unite.

I enjoy just about every game genre.

decaf

.... Has SEGA just removed Phantasy Star Portable 2 from the EU store?
So glad I picked this up last week. Are there any other titles that have disappeared from the US store? Just asking as I presume this is usually a death sentence for the same titles in Europe eventually.

Eusis

I'd say Oath is more fun. Seven has more to it and is more of an RPG but not as enjoyable for me.
Ys Seven is great either if you're already sold on the Ys series, or REALLY need your party members and piles of equipment. It's a really good game still, just that Oath would probably leave the better first impression.

Though thinking about it, it's fitting in a way to go with Oath. Ys III was the first easily accessible entry in the US, being on SNES and Genesis rather than only relatively obscure platforms (well, Ys 1 saw a DOS port but no one seemed to have played that when it came out), and now Ys Oath is arguably the best of the English released titles, if not period, and is simple yet refined gameplay-wise. Ergo, a great entry point.

I would like to request a little decision help everyone! :)

I want to fulfill my Vita RPG fix and recently had the luck to get 40€ from a sudden side-job so this came in handy.

Basically I can't decide between God Eater, Persona 3 and Trails in the Sky though other suggestions are always welcome too!

To not just put this freely into the room here's a quick look on my RPG background:

Favorite "action" RPG: Terranigma/Secret of Mana
Favorite RPG in general: Grandia
Favorite FF: FF9

Now to the games itself, I never really could do much with the Monster Hunter series because I dislike the setting which wouldn't be a problem but I don't even have Monster Hunter playing friends here. God Eater looks like it fixes my setting dislike very much and seems just as fun, especially with the recent opinions that it's even better on the Vita.

Persona 3 is a thing, I played it before (the PS2 version) and essentially felt like I liked it but it never really clicked back then, Persona 4 on the other hand I totally enjoyed so that might have been a mood thing.

And lastly Trails in the Sky! From what I've seen it looks like a mighty wonderful RPG and I hear praise all over I just fear I might get another Grandia moment with it. That means, when I first played Grandia I hated it and forced myself to play
up until you reach the new continent
From this point onwards I was enchanted by this game and couldn't let go.

Another minor candidate is Mana Khemia, I do like the Atelier games though I heard the PSP port is rather bad :/

I maybe should also say that story and setting can pull me over many flaws of a game, I played Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars about four times just because the story hooked me till the end.

So yeah before I shoot money to the moon, a bit help would be much appreciated!

Eusis

Basically I can't decide between God Eater, Persona 3 and Trails in the Sky though other suggestions are always welcome too!

To not just put this freely into the room here's a quick look on my RPG background:

Favorite "action" RPG: Terranigma/Secret of Mana
Favorite RPG in general: Grandia
Favorite FF: FF9
All I need to see to say Trails in the Sky, and I don't think it'll take quite as long to click with you as Grandia. Though P3's one of the most highly regarded JRPGs in years, so get to that eventually.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You could get both Trails and God Eater for the price of P3P. I'd just pick up both of those and wait until Atlus has a sale or price drop. I can't imagine them never offering their games for less than $40, they can't be that crazy.

Aru

I'm wondering the same. What are the differences between RPG and Action mode? (just bought the game)

RPG mode = your character is controlled by an AI that you can influence by selecting some commands. You can only defend yourself by pressing buttons IIRC.
Action mode = you control your character entirely.

Dingotech

If I've got a US PSN account for my Vita, but I'm based in Australia can I purchase games from Gamestop to use on my account?

Do they sell you a code that you active via the PSN store?

decaf

Playing through the start of Ys 7 now and it's pretty much like everyday life in Japan.

"OH, YOU'RE A FOREIGNER."

Top Bottom