• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

I got back from the store with my vita ...
powering up ATM... this will be good thanks everyone for teh recommandation , this thread is awesome :)

I may just go ahead and buy another PSN card and try my luck with transferring Ys Chronicles from my PS3 to my Vita. At the worst I'll have the game in my library once they update it to run on the Vita.

Joe Molotov

All I knew about Corpse Party was the "butter up my pooper" scene, but this game is actually pretty cool so far. I just beat Chapter 1. Is there any benefit to collecting the bad endings, other than sheer collectivism?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Lunar doesn't work. Plays through the first couple of battles, then crashes to a black screen of death after a cinematic. Will be in touch with Sony about a refund this week...

All I knew about Corpse Party was the "butter up my pooper" scene, but this game is actually pretty cool so far. I just beat Chapter 1. Is there any benefit to collecting the bad endings, other than sheer collectivism?

Many of them reveal extra plot details/character stuff that isn't mentioned in the main route.

Lunar doesn't work. Plays through the first couple of battles, then crashes to a black screen of death after a cinematic. Will be in touch with Sony about a refund this week...

weird, i finished the game last week on my vita no problems, then again i dont know if it makes a difference but i had already purchased the game on the psp before redownloading it again on the vita and continued my save halfway through the game, maybe its slightly different there?

Theonik

weird, i finished the game last week on my vita no problems, then again i dont know if it makes a difference but i had already purchased the game on the psp before redownloading it again on the vita and continued my save halfway through the game, maybe its slightly different there?
Could be 2 things, you may have the US version of the game. Or more likely there is a bug at the start of the game that causes it to crash on the Vita. The black label FFVIII release had a similar issue when run on the PS3's emulator which they fixed on the download so hopefully this can also be corrected.

tokkun

A couple of the bad endings unlock chapters from the Extra menu. My personal recommendation would be to just look the Extra chapters up on YouTube rather than wasting time trying to discover all the bad ends.

xxczx

A couple of the bad endings unlock chapters from the Extra menu. My personal recommendation would be to just look the Extra chapters up on YouTube rather than wasting time trying to discover all the bad ends.
I wouldn't call it wasting time, it gives it that replay value.

TheFatOne

What are the longest rpgs in terms on play time? I am going to get a vita soon, and I want to buy games that will last through the drought.

Zafir

What are the longest rpgs in terms on play time? I am going to get a vita soon, and I want to buy games that will last through the drought.
If you haven't played it already, definitely Persona 3. When I completed the PS2 version, my save was at 110hours.

Got a PSV due in some part to this amazing thread. Running through FFIV now. Been seeing a lot of love for TitS so I may scoop that too. Never played the Personas but my trusted friend keeps telling me to get them. $40 though? Maybe I'm just being cheap, but that's a hard sell. But so far I'm happy with the Vita. Hopefully Tales of Innocence R gets an NA release.

BomberMouse said:
Wild Arms XF is pretty long and sometimes brutal.

If you only got one, would it be better to get Disgaea or Wild Arms?

GopherD

Got a PSV due in some part to this amazing thread. Running through FFIV now. Been seeing a lot of love for TitS so I may scoop that too. Never played the Personas but my trusted friend keeps telling me to get them. $40 though? Maybe I'm just being cheap, but that's a hard sell. But so far I'm happy with the Vita. Hopefully Tales of Innocence R gets an NA release.

If you only got one, would it be better to get Disgaea or Wild Arms?
Both are pretty good, but I'd personally go with Disgaea.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Could be 2 things, you may have the US version of the game. Or more likely there is a bug at the start of the game that causes it to crash on the Vita. The black label FFVIII release had a similar issue when run on the PS3's emulator which they fixed on the download so hopefully this can also be corrected.

If anyone else is in the same situation, I found a workaround - skip the cinematic where Ramus first appears. Haven't had any crashes since then.

B-Dex

So I got TitS. HUGELY disappointed so far. It's been very slow and boring. The battle system seems fine but everything else is a total bore.

Would have rather got FFIV Complete or Lunar at this point even though I've played both of those games a lot already.

xxczx

So I got TitS. HUGELY disappointed so far. It's been very slow and boring. The battle system seems fine but everything else is a total bore.

Would have rather got FFIV Complete or Lunar at this point even though I've played both of those games a lot already.
It's a grower, hang in there!

NeededSleep

Wish Tales of the world: Radiant Mythology series came to NA. loved the first on the psp so much! :( Wish it was downloadable so i could play it on the vita.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
I'm surprised the OP doesn't have "Sega Genesis Collection" the list just for Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4. $14.99 to have 3 amazing RPG's is a steal. It's not on SONY's game list, but if you download on PS3 and transfer to Vita it works perfectly fine.

Games look better with the PSP color space, plus you have the option of "original video resolution", even though the games look pretty decent stretched out on the full Vita screen.

One thing to remember is not to actually save in the games, since that obviously doesn't work, but to hit select and make a save game state.

Been enjoying Phantasy Star IV for a while, first time I ever got to play it on a portable WITHOUT the crazy bad PSP load times and not-black screen.

Eusis

I'm surprised the OP doesn't have "Sega Genesis Collection" the list just for Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4. $14.99 to have 3 amazing RPG's is a steal. It's not on SONY's game list, but if you download on PS3 and transfer to Vita it works perfectly fine.
More like one great RPG (though that's arguably enough), II I have fondness for but really hasn't aged well at all, while III is generally considered the black sheep of the series. Only IV remains great and aged relatively well.

How many games are in that genesis collection?
  • Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Altered Beast
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Decap Attack
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Ecco: The Tides of Time
  • Ecco Jr.
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe II
  • Golden Axe III
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Phantasy Star II
  • Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
  • Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
  • Ristar
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Sonic The Hedgehog 2
  • Super Thunder Blade
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • Vectorman
  • Vectorman 2
  • Virtua Fighter 2
The RPGs are listed in bold. The 360/PS3 version also comes Beyond Oasis, Fatal Labyrinth, Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention, and Shining Force II: The Ancient Seal. The first Phantasy Star is an unlockable.

Murkas

I'm torn between what games to get from the price drops. Going to buy £25 credit and have to chose 3 games between:

Ys 7
Ys Oath
God Eater
Prinny 2
Phantom Brave

I'm worried about Prinny 2, I finished and enjoyed the 1st one but I remember weeping for my square button the whole way through, don't want to do the same for the Vita.

God Eater looks interesting, I love MH and the consensus among most MH fans is that it's actually good and not a full on clone.

I missed Phantom Brave the first time it came out.

I think I'll most certainly buy Ys 7 as that's got good reviews all across and I was so close to buying it when it was £12 a week or so ago. At this price I definitely will.

Would appreciate opinions!

Murkas

Unless you plan to pick up the Steam version, I recommend Ys: The Oath in Felghana over the rest of the games.

Does the Steam version have much improvements/extras over the PSP one?

I would rather play it on my comfy couch bed and 50 inch OLED screen!

I also apologise if my original post implied I could only get one, think I'll have just enough for 3.

I really enjoyed the PSP version, but playing it with a Dualshock controller might be even better. Both are good options!

You don't need to buy two Ys games at once, so that leaves three other options. I'd probably go with God Eater and Phantom Brave.

Murkas

I really enjoyed the PSP version, but playing it with a Dualshock controller might be even better. Both are good options!

You don't need to buy two Ys games at once, so that leaves three other options. I'd probably go with God Eater and Phantom Brave.

Good point!

Going to go with Ys Oath and God Eater for now.

Ok, this thread just convinced me to buy a Vita asap! I was planning to wait for a pricedrop/bundle but I need some RPG goodness. Good thing it's my birthday in 2 weeks so I can justify buying one. Definetely picking up all the Ys games, TiTS and corpse party, good thing most of them are only 10€ now.

btw, I was watching some trailers for the Ys games and goddamn that soundtrack is godly :O Has been on auto-loop on youtube since then.

hertog

the YS games are now only 9,99 on the EU store.

I've never played any of them. Does it matter which one I play first? Which one do people recommend?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
the YS games are now only 9,99 on the EU store.

I've never played any of them. Does it matter which one I play first? Which one do people recommend?

It doesn't really matter, they all play differently and none of the stories are connected. I'd recommend either Seven or Oath to start since they are more modern.

Mondriaan

Personally I've found the battle system to be bad. When you kill something, it feels like you have to wait for it to die and explode into a bunch of gems.

A lot of battle animations are pretty slow and it really seems like they could have streamlined battles by starting death animations after something's taken enough damage to die rather than starting the animation after the attack animation has ended.

Not much to say about the story or characters, though. They're just there.

krYlon

As has been said many many times before, TitS starts off slowly and I guess if you are not a fan of character development it may be boring at first.

However, many posters have complained about it being slow to begin with only to end up loving it.

As for the slow battle animations, I can't say I noticed.

Raoh

Downloaded MHFU last night, I have been sleeping. I now need to invest my time in getting acquainted with this entire series.

Is the new one coming out for vita also coming in america?

Filth

So I bought the first Ys game it's it's pretty awesome. Can't beat the boar boss for shit though. I'm dodging and everything. It's just a long fight I can't keep up with :(

spats

I'm like six hours into Ys 7 now. I still really, really like it. You can clearly see where they skimped on the budget, but I think it actually holds its own visually, even for an older PSP game with 3D graphics.

Somebody is propably going to try to punch me through the internet for saying this, but I'm playing it on easy and having a lot of fun with it because of that. I don't get stuck on every boss, which I usually do in JRPG's and just see how my characters progress and how the story unfolds. When I finish this, I might pick up the other Ys games available for the PSP and play them on a higher difficulty, but I'm not really regretting playing this on easy.

mxgt

Banned
I've never played a Ys game, but 7 looks pretty fun. Should I look into previous games first or is it not necessary?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've never played a Ys game, but 7 looks pretty fun. Should I look into previous games first or is it not necessary?

Besides being a superb action RPG, Oath in Felghana is an x-treme remake of Ys III - so I would figure lore-wise you might want to play Felghana first.

Eusis

Nevertheless, it really isn't essential to look back first, playing Oath first is just as much (if not more) due to it being one of the most awesome entries in the series.

Durante

You can't really go wrong with either one, but in case you're a PC gamer note that Oath will be released on Steam in 2 days, while 7 doesn't have a PC version.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Seven is actually a good place to start since it's easier than the other games on PSP. None of the stories are directly connected though, so you don't need any prior knowledge to enjoy the game.

Top Bottom