• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

pattheflip

Neo Member
FWIW, I don't think "play X game to prepare for SF5" makes any sense in a vacuum. If you play ST to prepare but you're practicing Original T. Hawk option selects, you're not going to learn shit. Same thing if you pick up 3s but you end up playing Yun or Urien.

The best thing you can do to prepare for SF5 is play characters that win off of footsies in whatever game you feel like. Play Divekick, doesn't matter.

The biggest change people need to get used to from SF4 to SF5 is that you don't win off of one knockdown. Footsies is a thing you need to win in consistently if you're going to do well.

ST is great for this because everyone has to be super vigilant about footsies or else you're going to lose to fireball/DP traps for days.

3s is okay for this because many characters have big damage off of a c.mk or c.mp at footsies range, though parries complicate this in ways that don't directly cross over to SF5.

SF4 is also okay for this if you pick the right character. Watch that Choi/Daigo match from Evo 2014. It looks more like SF5 than SF4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA9y69Zyi0E

I really have to play smart in ST. It has me scratching my head sometimes but I enjoy the puzzle of it. As Chun, I've got a Ryu doing nothing but jab shoryu's for meter. Whoops. I'm going to roundhouse sweep your ass on its recovery. Playing Deejay and think you can cross me up and jump in my face constantly? Whoops. I'm going to kick you in the face, asshole. I have already started correcting the flaws I want to work on.

Playing ST has forced me to adapt by pure design. I have to play more creatively because there's so many what the fuck strategies just to survive a fight. I have to make sure that guy doesn't spam shoryu so he gets meter by punishing everything he's got. If I miss my timing with Deejay jump ins, as Chun, he's not going to let up and he's going to combo you in the corner to death. One wrong move and it's over.

Sink or swim.

Highly suggested. I played 3S and a bit of IV yesterday, and my anti-air is already much better thanks to ST.

That SFIV match owns, Pat.

Kyonashi

Subbing to this thread. Been trying out SFV and the whole package is so tight it really makes me want to finally get gud, after like, trying on and off for years.

In all honesty, you don't have to play smart in ST with chun. Walk forward and mash st. Mp, throw in the random instant jump lk then mash forward and mp after it's blocked. I've beaten an obscene amount of st players doing just those 2 things.

In all honesty, you don't have to play smart in ST with chun. Walk forward and mash st. Mp, throw in the random instant jump lk then mash forward and mp after it's blocked. I've beaten an obscene amount of st players doing just those 2 things.

store charged super and walk forward throw/super in their face smh

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Throw in walk up super/throw

Like I said Chun is whack in ST xD

ptown

Didn't watch the video, but read most of your article on developing a strategy, pattheflip. Thanks man!

I'm interested in learning more about developing strategies/game plans. I'm guilty of playing my matches without much of a plan and most likely give things away because I'm making subpar decisions. If anyone else has more ideas or examples of developing a plan I'd love to hear it.

Changing subjects. Noob question: throws have always baffled me (speaking about street fighter). Once people get in throw range or near throw range it seems so 50/50 or RPS ish... Could anyone share their insight on throwing in street fighter and break the throw situation down so it isn't something that is so scary to me (if I'm fight a grappler it's even more frightening)? Once it's throw range, is it really a roll of dice like I might have imagined it to be? Maybe some explanation about common throw tactics, how throwing has changed from different street fighters series, etc. could be helpful?

The experienced SF players I watch tend to be able to tech most throw attempts their defense is pretty good and I just don't understand it. I suspect that there is some common throw knowledge that they might hold that makes them choose when to throw/tech... I'd like to increase my defense especially wih throws.

McNum

Huh, I feel a little proud all of a sudden. Capcom uploaded the two minute character introduction to Karin for SFV, and they pretty much said exactly the same things I've been thinking since the beta ended.

So that uppercut IS as important as I thought it might be. In fact, a beginner gameplan for Karin is probably something like "Hit that uppercut, then spend meter!" And if she has a Super ready, then spend ALL the meter. I guess that's going to be my training mode plan, then. Find out what follows that uppercut that I am able to do. And find out just how safe/unsafe it is on block. Can it be spammed, or do I need trickery?

I probably need trickery. But it's nice to have an objective so I'm not just throwing out MKs because it's fun. I'm going to be throwing them out to bait attacks that can be whiff punished with that uppercut.

Didn't watch the video, but read most of your article on developing a strategy, pattheflip. Thanks man!

I'm interested in learning more about developing strategies/game plans. I'm guilty of playing my matches without much of a plan and most likely give things away because I'm making subpar decisions. If anyone else has more ideas or examples of developing a plan I'd love to hear it.

Changing subjects. Noob question: throws have always baffled me (speaking about street fighter). Once people get in throw range or near throw range it seems so 50/50 or RPS ish... Could anyone share their insight on throwing in street fighter and break the throw situation down so it isn't something that is so scary to me (if I'm fight a grappler it's even more frightening)? Once it's throw range, is it really a roll of dice like I might have imagined it to be? Maybe some explanation about common throw tactics, how throwing has changed from different street fighters series, etc. could be helpful?

The experienced SF players I watch tend to be able to tech most throw attempts their defense is pretty good and I just don't understand it. I suspect that there is some common throw knowledge that they might hold that makes them choose when to throw/tech... I'd like to increase my defense especially wih throws.

I'm working on that myself and the general seems to be "if I were them, I'd throw". If you're thinking of throwing, your opponent is too.

Also, the more I think about throwing, the more I'm starting to predict when they'll throw.

Another thing to be aware of is when they move forward. It takes practice, but if they punch you one or two times, especially when crouching, and you block the attacks, if you see them walk a bit forward, chances are they're going to throw.

A good defense I'm learning from ST, because it has no real throw tech mechanic, is to toss out a light kick to give yourself room to breathe if I think they're throw me, especially if I'm in the corner. Sometimes this gives me the opportunity to counter attack upon hit.

ptown

I'm working on that myself and the general seems to be "if I were them, I'd throw". If you're thinking of throwing, your opponent is too.

Also, the more I think about throwing, the more I'm starting to predict when they'll throw.

Another thing to be aware of is when they move forward. It takes practice, but if they punch you one or two times, especially when crouching, and you block the attacks, if you see them walk a bit forward, chances are they're going to throw.

A good defense I'm learning from ST, because it has no real throw tech mechanic, is to toss out a light kick to give yourself room to breathe if I think they're throw me, especially if I'm in the corner. Sometimes this gives me the opportunity to counter attack upon hit.
Thanks cindi!

I have been training my eyes to see them walk forward tick throw like you said. And with some players I can stick a jab out to stop them moving in.

Other times, people are point blank and that part especially seems RPS like. You ever see point blank crouching jab into throw where they don't walk at all or give much or any visual cue? Maybe it's that point blank throw range is what is bothering me.

Yep, trying learn the mechanics or mentality behind it. It's tough.

Other times, people are point blank and that part especially seems RPS like. You ever see point blank crouching jab into throw where they don't walk at all or give much or any visual cue? Maybe it's that point blank throw range is what is bothering me.

That's called a Kara Throw.

The jab increases their range.

SFV does not have Kara's.

The more you play the better you'll get a sense of when people will throw, which will help with your teching.

markwaters

Neo Member
That's called a Kara Throw.

The jab increases their range.

SFV does not have Kara's.

The more you play the better you'll get a sense of when people will throw, which will help with your teching.

It sounds more like a tick throw to me. They are using the advantage granted by a jab to create a frame trap/throw mixup at point blank. In most SF games, you can do a couple of blocked light attacks before being pushed out of throw range.

Either way, it's a mixup and you just have to learn when they'll throw. SF3/SF4/SFV's mechanics are such that you can tech "late" and still avoid being thrown while still blocking if they continue the frame trap.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on performing Spinning Bird Kicks and 720 motions?
I'm fine execution wise with all the other special move inputs I can think of, but I struggle with these two. The fact I struggle with SBK's annoys me because I can do the Shout of Earth motion easy as anything, and that's basically a more awkward version of an SBK motion.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on performing Spinning Bird Kicks and 720 motions?
I'm fine execution wise with all the other special move inputs I can think of, but I struggle with these two. The fact I struggle with SBK's annoys me because I can do the Shout of Earth motion easy as anything, and that's basically a more awkward version of an SBK motion.

What part of SBK gives you issues?

Comboing? That takes practice. Combing a target combo into SBK is tougher than Kikoken for some reason. All I can do is say to keep practicing in training mode for that.

If it's the timing, that comes with time (lol).

It sounds more like a tick throw to me. They are using the advantage granted by a jab to create a frame trap/throw mixup at point blank. In most SF games, you can do a couple of blocked light attacks before being pushed out of throw range.

Either way, it's a mixup and you just have to learn when they'll throw. SF3/SF4/SFV's mechanics are such that you can tech "late" and still avoid being thrown while still blocking if they continue the frame trap.

Nah, sounds like he's talking about Kara's. The fact that they don't walk or give much visual clue is the big hint. Even with ticks, you usually have to walk up after one jab.

Taking advantage of frames to throw sounds exactly like a kara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diqWHCko3w4

Excuse the awful editing in this video this guy made.

ptown

Haha, I am actually just talking about staying in throw range after a single crouching jab. I see pro players doing that a lot in video. Just wasn't sure exactly why I see this so much. I guess if the attacker after the jab is at frame advantage, if the timing is exactly right, the attacker's throw input should initiate first and therefore defender's throw input will always be teching? Trying to get a better sense of how this works by the numbers and find the reasoning/mentality behind it I guess.

I'm aware of kara throw. That just seems to make things even more complicated/tricky.

Some times people expect block strings to last a while. A good tactic is to throw out one punch and then throw because they'll likely expect one or two more moves during the string. Since they'll still be blocking you've caught them off guard and they'll get thrown.

markwaters

Neo Member
Some times people expect block strings to last a while. A good tactic is to throw out one punch and then throw because they'll likely expect one or two more moves during the string. Since they'll still be blocking you've caught them off guard and they'll get thrown.

Yes. This is called a tick throw. :)

And edit:
Haha, I am actually just talking about staying in throw range after a single crouching jab. I see pro players doing that a lot in video. Just wasn't sure exactly why I see this so much. I guess if the attacker after the jab is at frame advantage, if the timing is exactly right, the attacker's throw input should initiate first and therefore defender's throw input will always be teching? Trying to get a better sense of how this works by the numbers and find the reasoning/mentality behind it I guess.

I'm aware of kara throw. That just seems to make things even more complicated/tricky.

More or less, yes. A lot of times the attacker has frame advantage and the defender is forced to react to the options the attacker is leveraging even if the frame advantage is miniscule (+1 or +2). It's not a good idea to throw anything out as a defender in these situations. If the attacker has a good understanding of their options, most of the defender's options will end up with them either getting thrown or counter-hit. You get a general sense of the pacing/timing of tick throws, block strings, frame traps and so forth the more that you play.

This kind of pressure has very low risk to the attacker, and a lot of times, it's shoving the defender into the corner for even more pressure. It serves to fluster the defender as well. It can "crack" impatient players or set up mind games -- i.e. if an attacker lands multiple tick throws on a defender and the defender begins to anticipate tick throw setups, the attacker can then leverage options and setups that beat throw techs completely. A teched throw resets the situation somewhat, but that and getting hit with a reversal are generally the worst outcomes for the attacker.

The biggest aspect of this is, as the defender, is understanding your opponent's options and intentions as well as being patient. Often, for the defender, the best options are do nothing and block, or block and late tech. A few pages ago, people were talking about "turns", this is one of those situations where you block/tech patiently and wait for your turn unless you can spot holes in their offense to be exploited -- unsafe moves, big gaps in their strings, bad spacing, and so on.

Kara throws tend to come from moves that have forward-moving startup frames and can be canceled into throw (or other moves), which effectively extends the range. Quickly cancelling the startup of Ken's forward MK into a throw in SF4 is the prime example of this. It can be surprising if you "forget" about it as an option. It's another thing you learn to be aware of with experience, but even the best players will get hit by karas if they're reading a different option.

ptown

More or less, yes. A lot of times the attacker has frame advantage and the defender is forced to react to the options the attacker is leveraging even if the frame advantage is miniscule (+1 or +2). It's not a good idea to throw anything out as a defender in these situations. If the attacker has a good understanding of their options, most of the defender's options will end up with them either getting thrown or counter-hit. You get a general sense of the pacing/timing of tick throws, block strings, frame traps and so forth the more that you play.

This kind of pressure has very low risk to the attacker, and a lot of times, it's shoving the defender into the corner for even more pressure. It serves to fluster the defender as well. It can "crack" impatient players or set up mind games -- i.e. if an attacker lands multiple tick throws on a defender and the defender begins to anticipate tick throw setups, the attacker can then leverage options and setups that beat throw techs completely. A teched throw resets the situation somewhat, but that and getting hit with a reversal are generally the worst outcomes for the attacker.

The biggest aspect of this is, as the defender, is understanding your opponent's options and intentions as well as being patient. Often, for the defender, the best options are do nothing and block, or block and late tech. A few pages ago, people were talking about "turns", this is one of those situations where you block/tech patiently and wait for your turn unless you can spot holes in their offense to be exploited -- unsafe moves, big gaps in their strings, bad spacing, and so on.

Kara throws tend to come from moves that have forward-moving startup frames and can be canceled into throw (or other moves), which effectively extends the range. Quickly cancelling the startup of Ken's forward MK into a throw in SF4 is the prime example of this. It can be surprising if you "forget" about it as an option. It's another thing you learn to be aware of with experience, but even the best players will get hit by karas if they're reading a different option.

Thanks for break down, that was really thorough and helpful. I usually get follow up questions once I hear or see something new so here goes.

There's been many times where I was in an ambiguous throw situation e.g. I think I threw my opponent first or thought I teched a throw attempt and got thrown myself. It's definitely a situation I'd like to experience less often as a "random exchange" and more so as a predictable, controlled event. One of the worst cases is attempting my own throw set up (e.g. tick throw) and getting thrown myself. Makes me feel like I'm really must not be working the numbers right... maybe I'm pressing buttons late.

I might be totally off, but somehow, it got me wondering about if throws "land" during the startup of a move like a normal attack or throw (i.e. essentially, a "counterhit" throw), is the throw untechable? Maybe I'm pressing my throw input later than my opponent and they're getting a "counterhit" throw on me. (Same question on normal attacks too: if a throw "counterhits" a normal attack, is the throw untechable?) Could be a SF common knowledge thing or depends on the game... either way, I don't know. Basically, what are the rules for throwing and teching throws?

I really feel like the whole frame advantage thing will play a bigger role in SFV than previous SFs with the whole button/input buffer thing they have going with it. It's probably more important than ever to understand frame data/advantage and the up close game as the input timing leniency will help people play out their frame data science.

I might be totally off, but somehow, it got me wondering about if throws "land" during the startup of a move like a normal attack or throw (i.e. essentially, a "counterhit" throw), is the throw untechable? Maybe I'm pressing my throw input later than my opponent and they're getting a "counterhit" throw on me. (Same question on normal attacks too: if a throw "counterhits" a normal attack, is the throw untechable?) Could be a SF common knowledge thing or depends on the game... either way, I don't know. Basically, what are the rules for throwing and teching throws?

Now, let's approach this critically. You might think this is semantics, but it's important to break down questions to their most basic components, and this is a train of thought you need to get used to.

First let's ask, can normal throws be teched? The answer is yes.

When can someone tech a throw? When they are in a grounded neutral state.

Let's define a grounded neutral state.

The first part grounded, meaning you must be on the ground.

The second part is "neutral state" - This is a state where you can input an isolated command, be it a button or direction. Key word is isolated. If you do cr. mp xx hadoken, you are not in a neutral state when you perform the hadoken, as you are performing it while in the active frames of the cr. mp. The cr. mp however is performed from a neutral state. So if you are in block stun, hit stun, knockdown, any frames of a move (start up, active, recovery), etc. etc. you are NOT in neutral

With that being said, you can not throw tech while in the start up of a button as you are in not in a grounded neutral state.

Alternatively, ask yourself, can you even do ANYTHING at all during the startup of a move? The answer is no.

ptown

Now, let's approach this critically. You might think this is semantics, but it's important to break down questions to their most basic components, and this is a train of thought you need to get used to.

First let's ask, can normal throws be teched? The answer is yes.

When can someone tech a throw? When they are in a grounded neutral state.

Let's define a grounded neutral state.

The first part grounded, meaning you must be on the ground.

The second part is "neutral state" - This is a state where you can input an isolated command, be it a button or direction. Key word is isolated. If you do cr. mp xx hadoken, you are not in a neutral state when you perform the hadoken, as you are performing it while in the active frames of the cr. mp. The cr. mp however is performed from a neutral state. So if you are in block stun, hit stun, knockdown, any frames of a move (start up, active, recovery), etc. etc. you are NOT in neutral

With that being said, you can not throw tech while in the start up of a button as you are in not in a grounded neutral state.

Alternatively, ask yourself, can you even do ANYTHING at all during the startup of a move? The answer is no.

Nah, I definitely needed to hear all the details especially about the "grounded neutral state". That explains a lot. All the times where I got thrown out of my own moves. The whole point blank jab into point blank throw tactic and possibly why that is effective (well timed frame advantage throw will land and beat out any normal or throw during startup and if the opponent decides to just block). I was going to ask further about exceptions to the "grounded neutral state" with option select normals + throw input, but I think I get how that works now too (and maybe a clue on how people "blow up" crouch tech/OS).

Thanks for the info, fmf. Really helpful stuff! :)

Now, to put it to use to up my defense... and how to apply this for better offense/pressure...

Is there a Steam group for this group here? Would be nice to connect with other PC players in the "Fighting Game Noob Thread" folks to practice, play and learn from when SFV launches.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've had my Chun Li SE2 (my first stick) for a week now and love it! I picked it up quicker than I expected in terms that I'm already playing better than I was with the Hori FC4 pad before. Granted, I'm just getting back into fighting games so pad play wasn't super ingrained in my muscle memory--and I'm still pretty sucky! But my execution is better than I thought it would be so quick at least.

I'm also glad I picked up USFIV to get re-familiarized with SF. I struggled with the last SFV beta, and really struggled even with Arcade Mode on medium on USFIV the first few days. But now I can breeze through that with my favored characters (Cammy, Chun Li, Ryu, Ken), and have gotten most of the core inputs down and at least starting to get some sense of the basics of zoning, basic footsies and mix ups etc. I haven't tried online yet. I'll play a little this weekend just for the hell of it, knowing I'll get owned since any matches I get will be against very experienced players at this point.

Really looking forward to SFV on Tuesday! I have the guide preordered as well, but that's not shipping until the following week per Amazon's estimate.

I've also played a decent amount of MKX. I do much better there as the inputs are simpler and systems less complex than SF. Got through a high difficulty daily tower with little problem and started winning some online matches. Looking forward to the Netcode update as lag is still way worse there than in the SFV Beta.

Really looking forward to SFV on Tuesday! I have the guide preordered as well, but that's not shipping until the following week per Amazon's estimate.

Do you think the Prima guide is helpful?

• Full frame data: Learn the startup, recovery, and active frames for every move in the game for every character.
  • In-depth tactics: Strategies for movement, range, and specific information for each character's moveset.
  • Reliable and situational combos: Learn the best links and combos for the entire cast of characters to get dependable damage, whether you're fighting online or against another person.

I kinda want to get it for the art stuff alone (I'm a sucker for that kinda shit) but just curious how valuable this is actually going to be. Or if it is a "indepth tactics!" and it consists of "don't get punched a lot. Or kicked. Or thrown."

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

• Full frame data: Learn the startup, recovery, and active frames for every move in the game for every character.
  • In-depth tactics: Strategies for movement, range, and specific information for each character's moveset.
  • Reliable and situational combos: Learn the best links and combos for the entire cast of characters to get dependable damage, whether you're fighting online or against another person.

I kinda want to get it for the art stuff alone (I'm a sucker for that kinda shit) but just curious how valuable this is actually going to be. Or if it is a "indepth tactics!" and it consists of "don't get punched a lot. Or kicked. Or thrown."

Honestly I just wanted th art from the collectors edition guide and to have the moves lists handy so I'm not constantly going into the menu when in training mode.

Don't get the guide. It will be out of date in no time and you can learn a lot more from the SRK forums, GAF and other sources. If you have questions just ask here tbh.

FSLink

Banned
Wait for a review of the guide.

Most fighting game guides are complete garbage.

Stuff like USF4, UMvC3/MvC3, and SFxT guides are a rarity. Yeah, some of the combos listed in them are outdated thanks to patches but the majority of them still work and are a nice starting point. USF4's guide in general is really good at explaining why character x is so good and specifics on their tools and how to apply their character specific set-ups, but it also had the luxury of having the knowledge from previous games to go along with good writing.

Just go to SRK on your phone or download FA Tool. Surely googling ________ character SFV movelist on your phone is faster than opening a thick guide.

FA Tool looks awesome... if you have an Android device.

My phone is, but I was hoping to get this for my iPad.

But it looks like the iOS version hasn't been updated in over a year: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/frame-assistant-tool/id886775464

the Android version was updated a few days ago with SFV relevance: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fullmeter.fat

FA Tool looks awesome... if you have an Android device.

???

i4guXWE.jpg

zwjE5yN.jpg

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just go to SRK on your phone or download FA Tool. Surely googling ________ character SFV movelist on your phone is faster than opening a thick guide.

Yeah it's mainly a collecting thing for me. But I do prefer just having the guide open to the nended page not to me vs. dealing with my phone or iPad. Also some nostalgia for playing SF2, the SNES MK games etc as a kid with guides handy.

According to the iOS app store, it hasn't been updated since Jan of 2015.It is version 1.1.4
According to the GooglePlay Appstore, that was updated Feb 7th of 2016. It is version 2.0.

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/frame-assistant-tool/id886775464
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fullmeter.fat

Is there a different FA Tool on the iOS store that is v2.0?

What version is on your phone?

The Android version specifically mentions:

What's New

Ver 2.0.0

* Street Fighter V characters included, along with full frame data, calculation and notes support!

* Complete visual and framework overhaul of the app!

* New and improved notes, with complete markdown support!

* Tons of other new stuff!

McNum

Wow that FA Tool is... neat. You can select two moves and find out if it's a frame trap just like that. That's pretty useful. And what moves can punish what. Of course, frame data isn't everything, the shape of an attack is also to be considered, but still... How many frames are good for a frame trap? 1-2?

I mean, this is still above my level to be practical, but knowing one might be useful against someone who's reversal happy.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Wow that FA Tool is... neat. You can select two moves and find out if it's a frame trap just like that. That's pretty useful. And what moves can punish what. Of course, frame data isn't everything, the shape of an attack is also to be considered, but still... How many frames are good for a frame trap? 1-2?

I mean, this is still above my level to be practical, but knowing one might be useful against someone who's reversal happy.
more frames = beefier move to stuff attacks with

McNum

more frames = beefier move to stuff attacks with
I thought a frame trap was supposed to catch jabs? So anything over 3 frames isn't a trap, it's just a gap that the opponent can use to get a jab counterhit. The entire point being to make the opponent think it's his turn, when it's actually not.

Did I misunderstand that?

Top Bottom