• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Greatness of the Star Wars Prequels

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

That useless spin makes me laugh to this day. Like, what the fuck, Obi Wan? XD

It worked, Vader was paralyzed by confusion and unable to take advantage. It portrays the student and mentor relationship. Even though Darth Vader feels like he's outgrown his master, his master still has lessons to teach him, like this one for example.

The prequels is just dumb choreagraphy, Lucas is an idiot and anyone involved in that project was too stupid for their own good.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The greatness of the prequels resides in two men

latest

561803-136041mace_20windu.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
But he was a complete douchebag in the Clone Wars cartoon.

Unless you mean the Genndy Clone Wars cartoon, where he was indeed awesome.
I do indeed mean the Genndy cartoon.

?oe?oe

In the OT, the lightsabres are more metaphoric. ESB is great, because Vader is just toying with Luke. In ROTJ, Luke overcomes Vader for reasons. The fights aren't over-choreographed, but Luke or Vader never felt like experts in swords. Luke just flails the thing all the time without any precision. A kid has the same skill as Luke. I can't defend the ANH lightsabre battle.

If only the PT put emotion and depth in the fights with more attempted "death strikes", it would have been perfect.

Hopefully the Sequels have a nice blend of the two. Finn is scared when facing Kylo, so that gives me hope, a new hope.

Jar Jar was never the problem, but that doesn't mean he's some kind of great character.

Ewan McGregor was pretty good. I'd have no problem with Disney bringing him back for an Obi-Wan prequel.
Obi wan prequel? God yes! He's the best part of the prequels!

a916

Jar Jar was never the problem, but that doesn't mean he's some kind of great character.

Ewan McGregor was pretty good. I'd have no problem with Disney bringing him back for an Obi-Wan prequel.

The last thing the Star Wars franchise needs is more prequels, please god just give us something new that isn't handcuffed by the OT like the Old Republic or something.

Toxi

Banned
In the OT, the lightsabres are more metaphoric. ESB is great, because Vader is just toying with Luke. In ROTJ, Luke overcomes Vader for reasons. The fights aren't over-choreographed, but Luke or Vader never felt like experts in swords. Luke just flails the thing all the time without any precision. A kid has the same skill as Luke.
The choreography of the ESB fight is intended to make Vader look like an expert, but in a different way. At the start of the fight, Vader often wields his lightsaber with one hand and doesn't move his body with his strikes, suggesting he's handling poor Luke with contemptuous ease and little effort.

It's very cool-looking.
The last thing the Star Wars franchise needs is more prequels, please god just give us something new that isn't handcuffed by the OT like the Old Republic or something.
The Star Wars movie next year is a prequel.

Big One

Banned
All the other jedi fight why can't yoda?
It was never established in the OT that the Jedi Order was war-faring, only that Obi-wan and Anakin fought in the Clone Wars.

In fact originally the Clone Wars was a much smaller thing than what it ended up being. George originally envisioned it was a more localized event where Lando Calrissian was the template for a planet of clones that caused the "Clone Wars" mentioned in Episode IV.

In the context of the original trilogy, it doesn't make sense for Yoda or Palpatine to use a lightsaber.

Toxi

Banned
It was never established in the OT that the Jedi Order was war-faring, only that Obi-wan and Anakin fought in the Clone Wars.
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic."

AKA they were space cops

Granted, Yoda seems to not be very fond of battle.

"War does not make one great."

?oe?oe

The choreography of the ESB fight is intended to make Vader look like an expert, but in a different way. At the start of the fight, Vader often wields his lightsaber with one hand and doesn't move his body with his strikes, suggesting he's handling poor Luke with contemptuous ease and little effort.

It's very cool-looking.
Definitely. Though since Vader's suit is restrictive, it does make some of his moves look awkward, especially in ROTJ. He can't really raise his arms.

Big One

Banned
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic."

Guardians of peace and justice =/= war-faring generals and tacticians.

Bishop89

He also never pulls out a lightsaber once in either ESB or ROTJ, despite Obi-wan actively using his in ANH.
I know when I'm on my own on an abandoned planet, I like to take out my lightsaber, just cause.
Yoda had no reason to take out his lightsaber. Why would he?

Also did he even still have it at that point?

Big One

Banned
I know when I'm on my own on an abandoned planet, I like to take out my lightsaber, just cause.
Yoda had no reason to take out his lightsaber. Why would he?

Also did he even still have it at that point?
To teach Luke how to be a Jedi? Afterall, Obi-wan tells Anakin in Episode II that his lightsaber is his LIFE. The prequels make it that important essentially.

He never had a lightsaber in ESB because he didn't need one to teach Luke how to be a Jedi. Because in the OT, a Jedi isn't about being highly skilled at using the lightsaber it's about a connection with the Force. This is missed completely in the PT by Lucas who decided to make everyone into master swordsmen.

Garlador

To teach Luke how to be a Jedi? Afterall, Obi-wan tells Anakin in Episode II that his lightsaber is his LIFE. The prequels make it that important essentially.

He never had a lightsaber in ESB because he didn't need one to teach Luke how to be a Jedi. Because in the OT, a Jedi isn't about being highly skilled at using the lightsaber it's about a connection with the Force. This is missed completely in the PT by Lucas who decided to make everyone into master swordsmen.

To the prequel's credit, how was Yoda first mentioned by Obi-Wan?

"A great warrior."

Not a wise man, not a sage mentor or teacher... but "a great warrior", there to teach him how to kick ass and defeat Vader.

Now, Yoda in the original films is certainly wise, and he makes it clear the Force is more than just physical fighting... but he's still this legendary warrior, so making him this awesome fighter in the prequel films is, well... it's accurate to how Obi-Wan remembered him and described him.

Toxi

Banned
To the prequel's credit, how was Yoda first mentioned by Obi-Wan?

"A great warrior."

Not a wise man, not a sage mentor or teacher... but "a great warrior", there to teach him how to kick ass and defeat Vader.
No, that was Luke's assumption. Obi-Wan just said Yoda was his master.

Kettch

The greatness of the prequels resides in two men

561803-136041mace_20windu.jpg

I felt that Jackson was used terribly here. An actor renowned for his energy and emotion...and they cast him as an emotionless jedi. Thousands of actors could have played Windu just as well.

He could have been an amazing villain, bounty hunter, charismatic politician, or anything else really.

a916

It's very cool-looking.

The Star Wars movie next year is a prequel.

I know, as are the next 6 9 if you count the next 3 episodic movies, that are prequels or directly related to the OT (rumored)... that's what I mean. Can we get a Star Wars movie that expands the lore beyond the usual suspects?

Fj0823

AKA they were space cops

That and "Victory you say? Not Victory, the shroud of the Dark side has falleb, begun the Clone War has"

and his entire "I hate this shit" attitude during Geonosis

MikeDown

Banned
Ignoring all the Clone Wars bullshit, we got Darth Maul, arguably the greatest villain of the series. Parts of the podrace were neat to watch, and I enjoyed parts of the battle between the droids and gungans.
Did you forget the Clone Wars TV CGI show?
If only I could....

Garlador

I'd be lying if I said I didn't love the Order 66 "purge". Particularly Yoda "feeling" each and every one of his friends being exterminated one by one.
tumblr_mtc9h1NI1h1qex0dmo3_r1_500.gif

kIdMuScLe

The reason yoda didn't have his light saber because he had no need for it. And it was all about the light saber still in the OT because then why teach Luke How to fight? Yoda wised up after Qui-Qon Jinn taught obit wan and yoda how to be one with the force

Fj0823

The reason yoda didn't have his light saber because he had no need for it. And it was all about the light saber still in the OT because then why teach Luke How to fight? Yoda wised up after Qui-Qon Jinn taught obit wan and yoda how to be one with the force

He didn't have it because he lost it in his last battle.

Big One

Banned
No shit. Yoda doesn't need one period, even if he was fighting in the Clone Wars. Yoda's whole point was the the Force was something of defense not of offense.

There's no reason why the backdrop of the prequel trilogy involves the Clone Wars or any galactic war for that matter.

Garlador

No shit. Yoda doesn't need one period, even if he was fighting in the Clone Wars. Yoda's whole point was the the Force was something of defense not of offense.

There's no reason why the backdrop of the prequel trilogy involves the Clone Wars or any galactic war for that matter.

"You fought with my father in the Clone Wars?"

Luke asks Obi-Wan that in the first movie, so the Clone Wars backdrop makes sense.

Ishida

Banned
It worked, Vader was paralyzed by confusion and unable to take advantage. It portrays the student and mentor relationship. Even though Darth Vader feels like he's outgrown his master, his master still has lessons to teach him, like this one for example.

The prequels is just dumb choreagraphy, Lucas is an idiot and anyone involved in that project was too stupid for their own good.

Mmmh no. Sorry, but you need a higher level of mental gymnastics than those in order to justify that idiotic spin.

It was an idiotic spin, product of a poor coreography. That's it.

Ok? So because George Lucas made it up, it means it isn't stupid? Yeah, no.

There's clear discrepancies, whether you choose to ignore them is up to you. It doesn't matter if you think the scene is cool or not when it fails are doing it's job as showcasing Yoda in the time of the Old Republic. The whole point of the prequels by design by George himself was to explain all the mysteries of the OT, only the end result raised more questions on their own which was later explained in series like Clone Wars and other EU material.

I'm not debating on whether Yoda using a lightsaber was stupid or not.

I'm saying that all the fanboys' headcanon about "Yoda not needing to use one" or "being above it" is just headcanon nonsense. That's just an idea that they made up in their heads and now are angry because Lucas showed they were wrong. No other way around it. You can like or hate it all you want. That's how the current canon goes, and no amount of assumptions by fans can change that.

It's weird to me that people complain about the prequels being "high tech" compared to the OT. The universe still very much feels "used" outside of coruscant and kamino, which are both rich planets. I think people are confusing CG for in-universe technological advancement.

I give that discussion credit on 1 point.
latest

Feels more advanced and practical than pretty much everything in the OT imo.

Its like they are soo good why would the Empire ever retire them.
You can say from the EU they have something similar but why would you not send that to attack Echo Base on Hoth with the AT-ATs for example.

Though seems like Rebels might be getting something similar in Rogue One.

Mr_Moogle

Whats with the love for Darth Maul? The dude only had like one line in the whole movie. Is it just the double edged light saber because aside from that he's a lame villain.

Ignoring all the Clone Wars bullshit, we got Darth Maul, arguably the greatest villain of the series. Parts of the podrace were neat to watch, and I enjoyed parts of the battle between the droids and gungans.
If only I could....
What makes Darth Maul "arguably the greatest villain in the series" when doesn't ever do anything? His sole moment of being threatening is followed up by him being cut in half by a Padawan. He has 2 lines of dialogue. He's completely irrelevant to Star Wars until there were like eight bad attempts to bring him back.

Fj0823

The Daughter is above a lightsaber. Yoda isn't

Anyone saying Yoda is above one because he could give his opponent a heart attack through the force is just fanwanking.

Yoda needs lots of concentration to move rocks and stuff. Every Jedi needs. Windu force crushing grievous chest or Yoda effortlessly clashing two airborne ships are non canon for that reason.

Vice

It's weird to me that people complain about the prequels being "high tech" compared to the OT. The universe still very much feels "used" outside of coruscant and kamino, which are both rich planets. I think people are confusing CG for in-universe technological advancement.

I see it as the Rebels having fewer resources than the Jedi. The Jedi, as far as we see int he films,a re pretty high in society until Episode 3. I see them as the Vatican with super powers. It makes sense that a group of rebels would have shittier equipment.

The Empire goes for mass produced easy to use weapons like Tie Fighters or ones with big intimidation factor.

Oersted

Whats with the love for Darth Maul? The dude only had like one line in the whole movie. Is it just the double edged light saber because aside from that he's a lame villain.

Exact. Not just a lasersword. A doublesided lasersword! And he doesn't talk much. A badguy who does not talk much!

If there is a faster way to impress teenage boys, show me!

What makes Darth Maul "arguably the greatest villain in the series" when doesn't ever do anything? His sole moment of being threatening is followed up by him being cut in half by a Padawan. He has 2 lines of dialogue. He's completely irrelevant to Star Wars until there were like eight bad attempts to bring him back.
The same could easily be said for Boba Fett, lol.

I agree about him not being the greatest villain in the series. I can understand his popularity though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom