• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

The rest of them are 360, including Holopoint, Chair in a Room, Hotdogs Horseshoes & Hand Grenades, Accounting, Onward, Brookhaven Experiment, Rec Room, Job Simulator, Budget Cuts, Vanishing Realms, Cosmic Trip, Fantastic Contraption, Tiltbrush, Out of Ammo, HordeZ, Blarp!, Soundstage, Waltz of the Wizard, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Solus Project, Fine China, GPU Cubes and Raw Data.

Just want to point out that many of these games COULD be played in 180 only:
Tiltbrush, GPU Cubes, Waltz of the Wizard, Job Simulator (this is a PSVR game!), Sound Stage, etc.

360 makes them better though.

Zalusithix

Your friend seems to be not well-versed in his own belongings. 180 experiences I own include Space Pirate Trainer, Pong Waves VR, Audioshield, and some bits of The Lab. The rest of them are 360, including Holopoint, Chair in a Room, Hotdogs Horseshoes & Hand Grenades, Accounting, Onward, Brookhaven Experiment, Rec Room, Job Simulator, Budget Cuts, Vanishing Realms, Cosmic Trip, Fantastic Contraption, Tiltbrush, Out of Ammo, HordeZ, Blarp!, Soundstage, Waltz of the Wizard, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Solus Project, Fine China, GPU Cubes and Raw Data.

You can add A Legend of Luca, Hover Junkers, QuiVR, Water Bears VR, and even DEXED (shooting behind yourself) to the 360 list. Some games like Job Simulator can be altered to work in 180 form, but many others would lose critical functionality.

cakefoo

Just want to point out that many of these games COULD be played in 180 only:
Tiltbrush, GPU Cubes, Waltz of the Wizard, Job Simulator (this is a PSVR game!), Sound Stage, etc.

360 makes them better though.
Sure. The key part of the post I replied to was games that "use" 360. Most of the games you listed give the player the creative control over how they lay out their worlds. Though fwiw, Waltz of the Wizard does have 360 requirements, and from what I've read, Job Simulator tracking on PSVR is a big letdown.

Sure. The key part of the post I replied to was games that "use" 360. Most of the games you listed give the player the creative control over how they lay out their worlds. Though fwiw, Waltz of the Wizard does have 360 requirements, and from what I've read, Job Simulator tracking on PSVR is a big letdown.

But you can turn around 360 degrees in EVERY Vive, even seated ones. I've walked around a ton even in Oculus games.

Tain

Given that Trackmania 2 already had VR support at one point, I'm assuming they spent some time with the new Turbo implementation in an attempt to make things at least somewhat comfortable.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://www.facebook.com/oculusmedium/videos/680192928829113/

Oculus Medium looks really incredible. Like, maybe I'm crazy but this looks like it could be used like a legit modelling tool.

There's some posts in the Oculus thread by people who have been using Medium:

VR doodle of the day, done again in Oculus Medium. :)

snPjAWo.jpg

My VR sculpt for the weekend. Done with Oculus Medium. :)

cMauuC5.jpg

fth6Alm.jpg

teDYkqH.jpg

QvS4FvR.jpg

On a different note, InsideSimRacing has put up their review of the CV1, over 40 mins total:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYF7sIFMxd0

01:22 Background Info and Setup
04:33 Immersion
06:36 Resolution
11:24 PC Performance
13:38 Racing by Brail
15:51 Extended Use
17:51 Wearing Glasses
22:00 Head Tracker
24:58 Motion Sickness
29:28 Does It Make You Faster?
30:45 Pros / Cons
31:49 Do We Prefer VR Over Our Triples?
34:32 Do We Recommend VR for You?

One guy's not completely convinced to switch away from triple monitors and go VR headset only but can see the next generation of headsets being where he jumps in, the other guy feels it's good enough for him now to make the switch.

Wallach

For those curious, I got my RABS lenses in from VR Lens Lab for the Rift.

Straight away I can see a big difference in the amount of distortion caused. It's not totally eliminated; at the edges you can still see the distortion from the curvature of the lenses, but the majority of the image is much better and with the distortion really limited to your peripheral the effect is much nicer. Enough that I'd feel comfortable recommending these RABS lenses to other users (where before the distortion was pretty noticeable across the image and it was much more of a toss up between convenience and image distortion).

Also, they include some new spacers for the Rift lens design that really seem to fix the fitting issues they had with the original design. They go in there nice and snug now.

Zalusithix

For those curious, I got my RABS lenses in from VR Lens Lab for the Rift.

Straight away I can see a big difference in the amount of distortion caused. It's not totally eliminated; at the edges you can still see the distortion from the curvature of the lenses, but the majority of the image is much better and with the distortion really limited to your peripheral the effect is much nicer. Enough that I'd feel comfortable recommending these RABS lenses to other users (where before the distortion was pretty noticeable across the image and it was much more of a toss up between convenience and image distortion).

Also, they include some new spacers for the Rift lens design that really seem to fix the fitting issues they had with the original design. They go in there nice and snug now.

Nice to know that they've mostly worked out the distortion issue. Actually contemplating getting a pair now. Not that I have a problem using my glasses (just having to quickly clean them after), but I'd want to be free of them before attempting a welder frame mod for the Vive. I won't want my glasses potentially interfering with the ease of putting it on or taking it off.

Wallach

Nice to know that they've mostly worked out the distortion issue. Actually contemplating getting a pair now. Not that I have a problem using my glasses (just having to quickly clean them after), but I'd want to be free of them before attempting a welder frame mod for the Vive. I won't want my glasses potentially interfering with the ease of putting it on or taking it off.

I am posting from VD right now; I don't know if I'd even say "mostly worked out", but I think it's about as good as they're going to get for external lens over lens kind of action. It's definitely a nice improvement over their previous lenses at least, and more than enough for me to use over glasses or even contact lenses. It's super nice to be able to just throw the headset on again.

Now I just need them to actually ship their damn Rift facial interface replacements with the foam padding. Their Vive padding is way superior to the stock foam pad, but this Kickstarter is way more late than their previous ones.

cakefoo

Are there any games with sliding locomotion that allow you to invert the left stick/trackpad? For instance, I press forward, and the world moves forward. I'm wondering if that's enough to detach me from the inertial confusion and loss of balance I get in games like Onward and Quell 4D.

vermadas

Last night I experimented with Asynchronous Spacewarp in Redout. This is a game that my 980ti struggles keep at 90 FPS unless I have all the visual settings set to low and medium, and even then, dips are frequent.

Holy shit. ASW is some black magic. If I crank up most settings to high, ASW is pretty much constantly on. It feels just as smooth as native 90, and during gameplay, I don't notice any artifacts. I can see them if I concentrate on something like static text and swing my head around, but they are slight. I turned SS up to 1.2 and was still able to stay over the 45 threshold.

So yeah, ASW is a gamechanger. I need to experiment with some other games.

Hopefully Valve gets their equivalent implemented soon for you Vive folks.

Is there a program that lets you watch 3D movies in VR?

I was thinking that nvidia 3D vision lets you watch 3D blu rays on PC if you have it.

In theory, couldnt a VR system also do this just by showing the left and right eye on the appropriate screen? (ie it would just render the entire image without worrying about head tracking)?

I was thinking that nvidia 3D vision lets you watch 3D blu rays on PC if you have it.

In theory, couldnt a VR system also do this just by showing the left and right eye on the appropriate screen? (ie it would just render the entire image without worrying about head tracking)?

Rendering it the way you describe would put your perspective incredibly close to the screen. It would have to be rendered on a smaller screen, which makes it more complicated. But yes, it's certainly possible to do this without head tracking.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

On Oculus you can use Oculus Video to watch 3D movies in a virtual cinema or other space.

Wallach

Yeah, you can watch 3D movies in Virtual Desktop.

Big Screen Beta lets has support from over-under and side-by-side 3d movies and it's free. If the videos are in a different format you can project them to either of those with Bino which is also free.

kinggroin

Banned
Interesting. There's a game called Brookhaven Experiment that got around the 180 issue problem by utilizing a single button 180 degree turn. Not ideal, but i guess it works.

The main reason I was asking was because certain games like Onward on Vive and the upcoming Farpoint on PSVR seem to have figured out the locomotion problem. Teleporting isn't great, and for some reason a few games will allow complete freedom of movement with the left analog. This allows for exploration - which is a direction that I hope more VR games go towards. Wave based enemies assaulting the player at a rooted spot has its appeal, but the real joy of the tech seems to be in allowing the player to become intimate with a space in a way that approximates their reactions in the real world, then affect that space. Slower, more methodical, more exploration heavy experiences are awesome in VR, and it seems that some form of room scale will need to work for those games to work.

I just wanted to measure if gen 1 of PSVR is as far off the technological mark as people think, or are the more substantive exploratory (off rails) experiences achievable on the range of VR tech from PSVR to Vive?

Yeah, i figured some sort of redesign would be in order. My friend who owns and loves the Vive admitted that most games don't really use 360 and that 180 makes up the majority of the great vive games. Yes it was IN-FREAKING-CREDIBLE in Accounting, but i wonder how many games really 'need' to search behind the player? I guess it's awesome for jump scares, but as for design? It's something to consider....

That "need" to do 360° is one component of the Vive that allows it to be the premier experience it is. If anything, you WANT developers to push towards that. Even with PSVR being where it is relative to what Vive has now, you don't ever want to ask if we need something that adds in any way. Eventually, you want Sony to catch up to that benchmark

Yes we need it. Like we needed tracked controllers, like we needed positional head tracking, like we needed high frame rates, and like we needed VR itself :)

Paganmoon

my 2 cents on VR locomotion, teleportation is more immersive than artificial locomotion. It's not to do with motion sickness, just that I get taken out of the experience if my character moves, but I do not. The only time this works is with cockpit games, any other game, teleportation (and room scale) is king.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Interesting. There's a game called Brookhaven Experiment that got around the 180 issue problem by utilizing a single button 180 degree turn. Not ideal, but i guess it works.

The main reason I was asking was because certain games like Onward on Vive and the upcoming Farpoint on PSVR seem to have figured out the locomotion problem. Teleporting isn't great, and for some reason a few games will allow complete freedom of movement with the left analog. This allows for exploration - which is a direction that I hope more VR games go towards. Wave based enemies assaulting the player at a rooted spot has its appeal, but the real joy of the tech seems to be in allowing the player to become intimate with a space in a way that approximates their reactions in the real world, then affect that space. Slower, more methodical, more exploration heavy experiences are awesome in VR, and it seems that some form of room scale will need to work for those games to work.

I just wanted to measure if gen 1 of PSVR is as far off the technological mark as people think, or are the more substantive exploratory (off rails) experiences achievable on the range of VR tech from PSVR to Vive?

Yeah, i figured some sort of redesign would be in order. My friend who owns and loves the Vive admitted that most games don't really use 360 and that 180 makes up the majority of the great vive games. Yes it was IN-FREAKING-CREDIBLE in Accounting, but i wonder how many games really 'need' to search behind the player? I guess it's awesome for jump scares, but as for design? It's something to consider....

why will teleportation limit exploration? Brookhaven Experiment having that 180 turn is a compromise. Its definitely better, more immersive and scarier with true 360 gameplay.

360 is the direction to go and is often paired with room scale, because it gives developers a wider canvas to work on. There are many 180 titles because they are shared with other headsets that lack 360 feature. Games that offer 180 experience can be played on Rift/Gear VR/vive/Ps vr, but with Rift playing catch up by offering their own 360 experience you will only see more 360 experiences in the next few years

bj00rn_

Banned
Your friend seems to be not well-versed in his own belongings. 180 experiences I own include Space Pirate Trainer, Pong Waves VR, Audioshield, and some bits of The Lab. The rest of them are 360, including Holopoint, Chair in a Room, Hotdogs Horseshoes & Hand Grenades, Accounting, Onward, Brookhaven Experiment, Rec Room, Job Simulator, Budget Cuts, Vanishing Realms, Cosmic Trip, Fantastic Contraption, Tiltbrush, Out of Ammo, HordeZ, Blarp!, Soundstage, Waltz of the Wizard, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Solus Project, Fine China, GPU Cubes and Raw Data.

Yep. Also, there's nothing trivial about occlusion-free laser based VR, even in "180 experiences".

I need a new graphics card to use the Vive I'm buying this week, but since the Vive is so expensive I can't go crazy on the card.

I'm thinking a GTX 1060. Any suggestions? Seems like the 1060 will work great for VR and give me excellent 1080p high/ultra gaming for a couple years.

I am thinking of selling my rift after all that Luckey debacle (a bit slow but I've been busy!). I probably won't replace it right away, but just to check - the oculus app is compatible with the vive, now? Or is it still device-locked? (it does not matter too much - mostly curious).

Is there anything the rift does that the vive can't do?

I am thinking of selling my rift after all that Luckey debacle (a bit slow but I've been busy!). I probably won't replace it right away, but just to check - the oculus app is compatible with the vive, now? Or is it still device-locked? (it does not matter too much - mostly curious).

Is there anything the rift does that the vive can't do?

The big unknown is how well Touch games will work through Revive. We'll know in a matter of weeks though.

I can't make up my mind on buying the Vive this Christmas, those news of a "cheaper" version coming next year makes my decision even harder. I can afford it, but I don't want to spend another 900€ in 6 months for the new version.

Durante

It's not just "searching behind the player" that's important, it's having no artificial rotation.

What I notice in very large-scale games like The Solus Project, or fast-paced ones like Raw Data, is that I can orient myself in space far more rapidly than in any traditional on-screen game. I huge part of that is being able to rely on your innate sense of direction. And of course, in fast-paced games, the mental leap of having to do some rotations with a button and others by, well, rotating, seems extremely unintuitive at best.

my 2 cents on VR locomotion, teleportation is more immersive than artificial locomotion. It's not to do with motion sickness, just that I get taken out of the experience if my character moves, but I do not. The only time this works is with cockpit games, any other game, teleportation (and room scale) is king.
I agree. Also, what I consider the most exploration-heavy game in VR currently (The Solus Project) relies on teleportation, and I don't feel like that is a hindrance at all.

Anyway, from reading impressions (on reddit and elsewhere), it seems like the optical tracking on the move controllers is as limited as I expected, and even more finicky within those constraints than I would have thought. Some people also seem to have tracking troubles with the PSVR HMD, but much less so than with Move.

Paganmoon

I agree. Also, what I consider the most exploration-heavy game in VR currently (The Solus Project) relies on teleportation, and I don't feel like that is a hindrance at all.

Yeah, no hindrance. To add to my 2 cents, after trying out the SoulkeeperVR demo/alpha some, I'm pretty steadfast on Teleportation > artificial locomotion. Specially if you have enough room for rudimentary room scale. Artificial locomotion disincentives actual bodily/room scale movement. For instance in Vanishing Realms, using teleportation, I move around the room a lot still. I teleport to a location, look around, see a candle, walk to it to light it. I don't think there was any incentive at all for me to actually use my legs while playing Soulkeeper, my total play time was spent standing still, which is sort of sad, cause I really like the spellcasting mechanics of Soulkeeper.

Anyway, from reading impressions (on reddit and elsewhere), it seems like the optical tracking on the move controllers is as limited as I expected, and even more finicky within those constraints than I would have thought. Some people also seem to have tracking troubles with the PSVR HMD, but much less so than with Move.

I still haven't gotten a second move controller, but the tracking on the DS4 is very finicky. Sometimes it tracks great, other times, it's very jittery. Haven't noticed any issues with HMD tracking though. Haven't played that much with the PSVR really, other than Playroom I can't think of anything I'd want to keep the PSVR over Vive for.

Soi-Fong

I have to be honest. I'm finding it hard to go back to the Vive from the PSVR. I never realized how prominent SDE was on the Vive. I have a hard time ignoring it now after having used the PSVR for so long and getting use to the screen basically being devoid of SDE.

I'm finding it hard to be immersed in the Vive even with games that gave me them like Brookhaven and Raw Data. The individual pixels is just there clear as day taunting me now..

jon_dojah

Banned
I have to be honest. I'm finding it hard to go back to the Vive from the PSVR. I never realized how prominent SDE was on the Vive. I have a hard time ignoring it now after having used the PSVR for so long and getting use to the screen basically being devoid of SDE.

I'm finding it hard to be immersed in the Vive even with games that gave me them like Brookhaven and Raw Data. The individual pixels is just there clear as day taunting me now..

I'm picking up a PSVR today. What were some of your favorite games/experiences?

Edit: I picked up Until Dawn. Not bad for $20

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The Martian VR Experience is coming to PSVR and Vive tomorrow

The Martian VR Experience is executive produced by Scott and directed by Maleficent’s Robert Stromberg. It’s an interactive take on The Martian that lets players inhabit protagonist Mark Watney during specific scenes from the film, doing things like driving a Mars rover and flying in zero gravity. We tried (and thoroughly enjoyed) an early version at this year’s CES, and it later appeared at the Sundance Film Festival, among other places. Now, it’s selling for $19.99 — a price roughly on par with other VR experiences.

Tain

After playing Obduction standing in the Rift at Epic settings and 150% resolution thanks to ASW, I really cannot wait for Valve to implement their equivalent into SteamVR.

Onemic

It's like ATW but fully positional and without judder.

It has a pretty big effect, enough that Oculus is lowering their min spec from a 970 to a 960, and from an Intel i5-4590 to an Intel i3-6100.

Wow, so is there really much of a difference between ASW and native 90FPS? ATW is great, but I can still tell the difference between native and ATW pretty easily, especially if theres a lot of action going on.

Tain

It's not that ASW is better than ATW, but instead that it's very basically the positional equivalent to ATW's rotational, if my understanding is correct. They work wonderfully together.

It's not perfect (you'll get some visual artifacts you wouldn't get at 90fps and the experience isn't quite as rock-solid-smooth as real 90fps), but it really, really helps.

Top Bottom