• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Also, can't believe nobody suggested this to me yet for iCade. What's the best Pac-Man game on iOS? Is there just the classic one, or is there a port of those recent remakes done for XBLA and such or?

Can't Jailbreak (or can I, latest iOS iPad2), I had the MAME release that got through the App Store but I've since deleted it, I couldn't get it to work at the time so yeah, no go.

Rat Salad

Banned
Wild Blood, which is a GOW clone by Gameloft is wicked bad ass. Playing this on IPAD 3, its PROBABLY the most beautiful game I've seen on IOS. Controls are great too. Feels like Im playing an epic game, great presentation too. Its on sale for a buck, grab it if u like hack and slash games.

Ok, I said no shmups but I'm getting that because it's not a bullet hell like Cave's or a puzzle like R type and I remember having fun with it in the arcades, kinda like the Aero Fighters games.

No reply on how good the Metal Slug ports are?

Metal Slug ports are fantastic, although I am playing on the pad itself if you are looking for icade impressions.

J0dy77

Also, can't believe nobody suggested this to me yet for iCade. What's the best Pac-Man game on iOS? Is there just the classic one, or is there a port of those recent remakes done for XBLA and such or?

Can't Jailbreak (or can I, latest iOS iPad2), I had the MAME release that got through the App Store but I've since deleted it, I couldn't get it to work at the time so yeah, no go.

They have full versions of Ms Pac Man and Pac Man for iPhone that you can simply play at 2x. Have extra pixels on a pac man game won't make a difference.

They have Pac-Man championship edition (not the ex version) for the iphone as well, doesn't play as well blown up but still works.

Alexios

Pac-Man and Ms Pac-Man are for iPad too...

But oh God at the Ms Pac-Man icon and I read on the internet the Pac-Man iCade controls aren't 100% responsive.

Shame.

How about a good Tetris?

And oh God what did they do to Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3... Shitty 3D... But is gameplay 100% exact and fluid (on iPad2)?

All in all there seems to be a surprising lack of retro goodness on the store, outside shmups, I didn't realize before because I didn't care to look for these games without having an appropriate controller around. But I thought there are more.

I'm still getting the iCade for my sister and her husband but it'd be nice to have a better selection of games.

Does Bubble Bobble Double support it? Oh God there's not even a Bust-A-Move for iPad...

Or is that what New Bubble Bobble Puzzle is? Is it worth it? How are these Taito games then?

Sorry I keep asking if this or that supports it but ION's compatibility page doesn't work for me atm.

I could use a couple Bust-A-Move/Pac-Man type games at least so it doesn't seem the gift is just for her husband.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wild Blood, which is a GOW clone by Gameloft is wicked bad ass. Playing this on IPAD 3, its PROBABLY the most beautiful game I've seen on IOS. Controls are great too. Feels like Im playing an epic game, great presentation too. Its on sale for a buck, grab it if u like hack and slash games.
Yeah I like the game too but I need more space on my phone or buy a 64G iPad mini

Absinthe

I can't really recommend 100% an iCade if you can't run something like iMAME. If you're on iOS5 you might be lucky, but I've had the fortune of getting a refurb iPad 3 with the older, jailbreakable iOS on it so I get to experience something like Blutrol (it lets you map the joystick/buttons as a touch action on the screen) and buckets of emulators (including Amiga and arcade).

You're lucky. I have 5.0 on my iPad 3 and can only upgrade to 6 now because Apple stopped signing 5.0.1. The iCade 8-bitty with blutrol on my iPhone is fine, but I really want it on the iPad. So now I wait until 6.0 is JB. I just wish Apple would make a controller and use something like blutrol so I can play every game without the need to JB.

Aaron

Midway Arcade Classics supports icade pretty well. Blazing Star, another neo-geo port, also supports it, as does the non-retro Shogun.

Going to do another iOS music gaming session tonight - just Theatrhythm and jubeat plus are on the menu since I'm getting started pretty late. Check it out: http://twitch.tv/starcreator/

EDIT: Broadcast done, recording available here. Theatrhythm is the first 20 minutes, rest is jubeat plus (mostly saucer pack 05, because LUV CAN SAVE U is the best song ever)

WTF I just played episode 3 (Walking Dead) for like an hour and a half and I exited to come back to it later find it completely not there? My iPad is acting like I never installed it even though my save game is still there.

PFD

I got this yesterday and it does indeed look awesome (ipad 4). Controls surprisingly well too.

Heel

Minigore 2 is a cool dual sticky type zombie game. Though it's pretty similar to the first game I guess.

Cool, never played the first so I guess I'll check it out.

I know I'm being a snob but EA's Fifa series on iOS is so overrated. It resembles nothing like soccer in terms of gameplay other than you just ping pong it up the field. The passing and shooting system is painfully weak and limited. The ball physics are kind of wack too (or at least how the player/ball interaction is).

If you're itching for a soccer game, pick up Dream League Soccer for free (or their earlier First Touch Soccer...although outdated in terms of graphics and rosters...next one won't be out for a few more months). Dream League's gameplay is far superior and responsive. I've scored some unbelievable goals.

That said, if you just want to kick around with some licensed teams then give Fifa a shot...it's only $0.99 anyways.

K I'll grab Dream League. I see they did the Score! Classic Goals game, liked that. Thanks!

How's Ascension? :)

What did you Happy Streeters get yesterday? A bunch of normal items, snow cat, and 10 tokens.

Yep, same thing and I was maxed out. A lot of items that take forever to make was nice. 6x cake, soup etc. if I remember right.

Rat Salad

Banned
Abit off topic but my friend loves my Ipad 3 and now wants to buy an Ipad 4. Any deals on one with the major retailers like Best Buy or Target. Maybe a gift card thrown in if you buy from them? Maybe he should wait for the new years sales? Anyone hear of any cool deals coming up?

Jamaro85

Really loving Jelly Defense. I know it's old, but man it has that Pixeljunk Monsters type of gameplay that I really like. Obviously. :p

Well time for bed. Merry Christmas everyone!

Thanks for posting this! Love tower defense games and this one has been a challenge so far. Passing the level isn't difficult but I'm pretty sure I spent at least 45 minutes trying to ace one particular level and still have yet to do so. $0.99 well spent!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
WTF I just played episode 3 (Walking Dead) for like an hour and a half and I exited to come back to it later find it completely not there? My iPad is acting like I never installed it even though my save game is still there.

Mine does a similar thing but not mid-play. Every time I go to dl a new episode all the others are gone and I have to re-dl them. Pain in the arse.

Booter

Got an iPad today.

Can't believe how shitty Mikey Shorts is after all the reviews and praise - it's a bloody terrible excuse for a 2D platformer and nothing to do with the fact I hate touch controls for these types of games either.

could be wrong here but I think Mikey Shorts is a game that will be a lot better on iphone/ipod than on ipad.

Just grabbed a $50 gift card for $39.99 today. Sweet! Grabbed Raiden Legacy.

Also, that freeappslots thing seems screwy for me. Just started with it yesterday and downloaded one of the suggested games. I've played it for about 10 minutes and still no free spins. What gives?

PFD

Mine does a similar thing but not mid-play. Every time I go to dl a new episode all the others are gone and I have to re-dl them. Pain in the arse.

Is your device out of space / nearly full? Mine tends to delete digital magazines when it goes below 5GB or so. But app devs can add a line to prevent that.

ParityBit

I'm on a 16gig so yeah, I'm always running out of space! That does sound like a likely culprit though, mystery solved :)

I have a 64 and it's pretty much full. I have SO many games I have yet to play/beat. I never want to delete anything! I probably should get rid of some. I do not even have any movies/music/etc on it!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can't believe I'm ready to buy Final Fantasy Dimensions after initially thinking it would be crap. The music is seriously fantastic, too.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Thanks for posting this! Love tower defense games and this one has been a challenge so far. Passing the level isn't difficult but I'm pretty sure I spent at least 45 minutes trying to ace one particular level and still have yet to do so. $0.99 well spent!
It's really great! Definitely a tough game underneath the cute graphics. Have you happened to try the special Christmas level? I can't even beat that one. :(

Mrbob

Wait till March for new iPad. Rumored to be thinner and lighter

Six month cycle for the Ipad now? I don't think this cycle is going to go over well long term. However, thinner and lighter is good news to me. The Mini is going to steal a lot of regular Ipad sales. It's so much nicer to hold. My Ipad 3 feels bulky now.

Of course, Apple might have to something sooner rather than later because the Mini is eating into regular Ipad sales. Less revenue for apple means lower stock value.

sk3tch

Six month cycle for the Ipad now? I don't think this cycle is going to go over well long term. However, thinner and lighter is good news to me. The Mini is going to steal a lot of regular Ipad sales. It's so much nicer to hold. My Ipad 3 feels bulky now.

Of course, Apple might have to something sooner rather than later because the Mini is eating into regular Ipad sales. Less revenue for apple means lower stock value.

I just want a Retina screen on an iPad mini...I'm in then. I'll sell my iPad 4.

Mrbob

Yeah the mini is really nice. I brought my Ipad 3 with me yesterday to compare devices since I bought my mom a Mini for Christmas. There is a difference between the two, but I really think the issue is overblown.

I guess I fall for the marketing hype too since I'll wait for a Retina Mini as well, but the only time I really noticed a difference was having the two side by side. Once I put away the Ipad 3 and used the Mini I completely forgot about the lack of Retina. Higher resolution is nice, but there is more than just that to a screen. The color saturation on the Mini looks to be on par with the regular Ipad. Using the Mini felt better in my hands.

ParityBit

Yeah the mini is really nice. I brought my Ipad 3 with me yesterday to compare devices since I bought my mom a Mini for Christmas. There is a difference between the two, but I really think the issue is overblown.

I guess I fall for the marketing hype too since I'll wait for a Retina Mini as well, but the only time I really noticed a difference was having the two side by side. Once I put away the Ipad 3 and used the Mini I completely forgot about the lack of Retina. Higher resolution is nice, but there is more than just that to a screen. The color saturation on the Mini looks to be on par with the regular Ipad. Using the Mini felt better in my hands.

Isn't the mini based on the iPad 2 tech? So moving forward, are you not concerned that games will take advantage of the more powerful 4/5 and will seem to grind on the mini.

I have a 3. Mainly waiting for a 5, and a reason to upgrade besides just upgrading.

Mrbob

Isn't the mini based on the iPad 2 tech? So moving forward, are you not concerned that games will take advantage of the more powerful 4/5 and will seem to grind on the mini.

I have a 3. Mainly waiting for a 5, and a reason to upgrade besides just upgrading.

This is probably true. I don't plan on buying a Mini anytime soon. Maybe in the next couple years. I do like the larger size of the regular Ipad overall, but really dislike the bulk now. If Apple is going to make the regular Ipad thinner and lighter I'll get a future revision. But if they are updating every 6 months I might as well wait till Ipad 7.

J0dy77

I'm the opposite here. I love the size and feel of the mini but can't take the non Retina Display. I've been using the Retina displays on the iPad and iPhone for so long now I can't go back.

I also don't want to support a product that is clearly apple putting a carrot on a stick. Apple knew the demand for an iPad mini and could have easily built in a retina display but then why would people buy the iPad mini 2 in 2013? I love my apple products but their amazing inovation run is coming to an end. The upgrades the past couple years have been very minimal and expected instead of game changing. (Don't take this as a hate for apple, love the products. It just feels like the smartphone market has gone as far as possible for a few years).

Alexios

So, everyone already done with iCade recommendations of real amazing games that will make the best first impression for it? Seems Raiden Legacy is the best to get, I read Metal Slug has some problems with it like stopping responding and having to exit/reopen the app to get it to work and what not, no word on if the on screen controls are gone in iCade mode either etc. I asked in the iCade thread on TA for recommendations but nobody replied yet, maybe I wrote too much but this is the gist of it.
For now I'm only looking for ports and games that are truly great, in that they will perform well on iPad2 which we both have, disable any on screen controls when played on the iCade (I suppose this is not a must if the game has borders due to the aspect ratio and shows the controls on there), look great without (or merely optional) blurry graphics filters, control great with the iCade and more than anything they have to be amazing games that will make the best impression for the platform with no annoyances in interface, gameplay (credits balance!), stability, performance, or anything else negative, to sour the first experience of the present at all.
Active football and AirAttack HD look promising too but again there's not much information about them on iCade/iPad2.

I seemingly have more great freeware retro games on PC than I can find to buy on the App Store... Stuff like Hydorah, Arvoesine, Cave Story, Dungeons of Fayte, Genetos, L'Abbaye des Morts, Maldita Castilla, Maximus Action Carnage, Merry Gear Solid 2, Spelunky, Treasure Adventure Game, Streets of Rage Remake, Verminest and Verminest '83 and many more, nevermind those I've finished and deleted... And some paid like La-Mulana... These are the kind of games that would be great.

Edit: Finally caught a glimpse of Metal Slug 3 on iCade in a compilation video on YouTube and it does indeed hide the controls when playing it on iCade, so I guess I'll get that also. I'm thinking about Soul Calibur as well but... Meh, expensive and barebones. But still probably the best fighting offering for iPad and iCade, since KoF is iPhone only...

I played The Room finally over the Christmas break-it's very good, of course. I wonder if it's safe to go ahead and delete this from my iPad-it mentions The Room Will Return-but I don't know if that means DLC or another separate app entirely..

EA sale started? AFAIK, everything's $0.99

What do you recommend? I think I'll try: Mass Effect: Infiltrator, Dead Space, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, etc.

kodt

Banned

What do you recommend? I think I'll try: Mass Effect: Infiltrator, Dead Space, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, etc.

Dead Space and Mass Effect are both worth it. Haven't tried Most Wanted yet.

Tizoc

Alright GAF, I got my salary for this month and am ready to spend on some cheap stuff, aside from EA sale what else is on sale worth getting?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Go to daily deals.eamobile.com on your iPhone, and click 'Daily Spin'. You can get a free game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom