• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I heard there are other games on iOS? I wouldn't know...

hex3.png

I can't stop playing this game!

Oh man, I did not even think of that. If I do that will I loose my friends list? I will defintly try to do that.
You'll lose your friends list, but as long as you remember their friend codes you can easily refriend them. Or make new friends randomly, which will fall onto your lap if you have a good leader like Green Odin or Amaterasu. Mine's 359,535,296.

I have never played a music game, and most of my ios gaming is with the sound off. but I took the dive for $2 to try something new.

You can really do better; Cytus is pretty and all but it only barely qualifies as a music game mechanically, and the part that does qualify is just terribly done.

If you have an iPad, jukebeat and REFLEC BEAT + remain my favorites; KONAMI is almost solely responsible for the current generation of music games and these two benefit greatly from their experience. Groove Coaster Zero is another good choice, and one that seems universally praised even from non-rhythm gamers. There's also Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, a competent if minimalistic port of the 3DS game. And all four of these are free to try.

I used to play games with the sound off until I picked up a BT headset. Now I always play with the sound on. Huge difference! Way better than the iPad speaker too.

You should be warned transmitting audio via Bluetooth or AirPlay introduces lag; using wired headphones or speakers will always have the best results.

ParityBit

You'll lose your friends list, but as long as you remember their friend codes you can easily refriend them. Or make new friends randomly, which will fall onto your lap if you have a good leader like Green Odin or Amaterasu. Mine's 359,535,296.

Ok what is the best way to delete the data/etc to start fresh? I will add you and Li Kao again when I get setup with a better leader.

Also, should I just be looking for 5 star eggs when I do this?

Zia

So, I was on a flight over the holiday playing Super Hexagon, and should've received a couple of the Hyper Mode achievements, but didn't, as GC wasn't online. I've since repeated both achievements, but they're still not showing up. Any recommendations?

Ok what is the best way to delete the data/etc to start fresh? I will add you and Li Kao again when I get setup with a better leader.

Also, should I just be looking for 5 star eggs when I do this?
I think if you're not jail broken you should just delete and reinstall. If you're jail broken there are some backups apps which I have experience in. Do it when there's some basketball or whatever that doesn't require interaction.

Gonna quote this from SA; I generally agree with the list:
So here is list of gods I recommend you reroll for:
Roman Gods: none
Japanese Gods: Viper Orochi, Amaterasu
Indian Gods: Shiva
Norse Gods: none of them, norse gods suck <-- personal educated opinion
Misc God: Green Odin
*Special Exception: Valkyrie (can only be found in the rare egg machine and is used for unique and powerful healer teams)

I admit this is a very short list and your chances of getting one of these are microscopically small but this is the list if you want the best of the best of the best from the rare egg machine. Here are the rest that are acceptable to keep:
Roman Gods: Venus, Hades, Neptune
Japanese Gods: Yomi
Indian Gods: Parvati, Lakshimi, Vritia
Norse Gods: lol yeh rite
Misc God: Blue Odin
Very Hard to Farm Orb Changers: Berserker, Highlander
Commonly Farmed Non Gods (These you can eventually get them easily some other way later on without the rare egg machine but these are all classified as super useful and everyone will want to be friends with you for them):
Siren the Enchanter, Ancient Dragon Knight, Archangel, Alraune
The first batch is figuratively like hitting the jackpot. I kept Neptune and didnt hit a wall until the 3* earth dungeon, and that was purely because my team was unbalanced against fighting earth monsters.

Pepboy

So I heard there are other games on iOS? I wouldn't know...

hex3.png

I can't stop playing this game!

I bought this yesterday, played it forty times without music. I did not understand the hype at all. Put on music and it wasnt any better. I find the gameplay boring and the visuals a bit nauseating. Any advice on how to enjoy this? Did others feel the same early on? I dont even see a way for me to progress or improve much at this point.

Edit: i also find the floaty controls annoying. Most deaths are because I over or undershoot by a tad, would much prefer one tap per zone. Normally I would just delete the game, but GAF rated it 2nd on latest OS game list, so I may be missing something? Or is the developer a fellow Gaffer / did the newness factor (at the time) help push it up the list?

I bought this yesterday, played it forty times without music. I did not understand the hype at all. Put on music and it wasnt any better. I find the gameplay boring and the visuals a bit nauseating. Any advice on how to enjoy this? Did others feel the same early on? I dont even see a way for me to progress or improve much at this point.
I found that its brilliance revealed itself over time, as my first impression was fairly similar to yours. Don't let the times fool you, I struggled on many of those levels for weeks at a time before finally hitting 60 seconds on them. It's amazing how you will always think you've hit your skill ceiling but if you keep playing you will keep getting better. That's the true marvel of the game to me, watching my brain slowly adapt to instinctively handle each obstacle more and more efficiently through practice and sheer determination.

At this point it's easily my favorite high score chasing game of all time.

Why don't you feel able to improve? One of the most important realizations I had about the game was that it will never spawn a pattern on you that's impossible for you to solve given your current position. After that I started to analyze my deaths and identify what I could have done to survive.

The game becomes a journey of self-improvement; deaths were no longer "fuck this bullshit" but instead "okay that was my fault, lets try for better". I beat Hyper Hexagonest a few days ago and it's weird to think that I struggled to survive on Hexagon for more than ten seconds at first.

Pepboy

I found that its brilliance revealed itself over time, as my first impression was fairly similar to yours. Don't let the times fool you, I struggled on many of those levels for weeks at a time before finally hitting 60 seconds on them. It's amazing how you will always think you've hit your skill ceiling but if you keep playing you will keep getting better. That's the true marvel of the game to me, watching my brain slowly adapt to instinctively handle each obstacle more and more efficiently through practice and sheer determination.

At this point it's easily my favorite high score chasing game of all time.

Okay thank you, I guess I will try playing it a few times a day and see if it grows on me.

Edit:

Why don't you feel able to improve? One of the most important realizations I had about the game was that it will never spawn a pattern on you that's impossible for you to solve given your current position. After that I started to analyze my deaths and identify what I could have done to survive.

The game becomes a journey of self-improvement; deaths were no longer "fuck this bullshit" but instead "okay that was my fault, lets try for better". I beat Hyper Hexagonest a few days ago and it's weird to think that I struggled to survive on Hexagon for more than ten seconds at first.

I did realize that pretty early on, but at the same time, there isnt much time between when I first see a "wave" and when it hits, so sometimes I need to swing around 3 sides in a short period and be precise with the movement as well. The pulsating graphics also don't help with identifying which side to be on.

The funny thing with Super Hexagon is that "isn't enough time" becomes "wow this game gives me ages to do these" after a while. The pulsating graphics and rotation take a while to get used to; one of the first mini goals I had starting out was to stay near the top of the screen so my controls wouldn't be reversed.

GeekyDad

This is NeoGAF. It doesn't have to be great to induce a pile on. It just has to be the right time.

PS if you wanna save scum for Gods in Puzzle & Dragons the rare egg gacha is gonna have a boosted 3x rate starting tomorrow until the end of the year.

Edit: just kidding the rare egg event is only for New Year's Eve and Day! Instead you get 2 Rainbow Stones each day until the end of the year.

AEREC

Any thoughts about Baldur's Gate? I keep hearing crappy things about the UI and other nitpicks. 10 bucks is a lot for a risk.

Might as well get it...right now the game is unplayable for me due to touch issues but many other people are still enjoying it. I'll wait for the smart radius patch before playing again...but aside from the interface it's one of the greatest games ever made.

ParityBit

PS if you wanna save scum for Gods in Puzzle & Dragons the rare egg gacha is gonna have a boosted 3x rate starting tomorrow until the end of the year.

Edit: just kidding the rare egg event is only for New Year's Eve and Day! Instead you get 2 Rainbow Stones each day until the end of the year.

So are you saying I should wait to restart? Or I should just restart? lol I so confused

So are you saying I should wait to restart? Or I should just restart? lol I so confused
Haha yeah wait till the 31st to restart, but log n evey day with your current account until then for those free rainbow stones and hope it yields a good monster.

Apparently they'll be releasing new Gods on the 31st, too!

ParityBit

Haha yeah wait till the 31st to restart, but log n evey day with your current account until then for those free rainbow stones and hope it yields a good monster.

Apparently they'll be releasing new Gods on the 31st, too!

Man, I was looking forward to trying tonight. Maybe I will anyways. Maybe I will get lucky and get one of the awesome ones to start with. I will just save all my stones that I get except for the first spin.

Speaking of which, do you ever use your stones for restarts (ugh) Or more spots for monsters in the box?

xCobalt

Man, I was looking forward to trying tonight. Maybe I will anyways. Maybe I will get lucky and get one of the awesome ones to start with. I will just save all my stones that I get except for the first spin.

Speaking of which, do you ever use your stones for restarts (ugh) Or more spots for monsters in the box?

If you don't feel like restarting, you could use one of my monsters as a leader to get pass some dungeons. Got several monsters with over 1000 attack. My ID is 356 137 283

The number one thing you should use stones for is pulls on the rare gacha. Only expand your box if there is absolutely nothing you can fuse together / sell. Because of how difficult stones are to come by you should never under any conditions use the stones to refill stam or retry a stage. That's why the free rare pull from the tutorial is so huge; it's the fastest way to get five rainbow stones.

For reference, I currently have 35 slots in my box. About half of those are evo materials, less than a quarter is my actual party, and the rest is enhance material with a little bit of wiggle room for dungeon spoils.

Zeth

I've been trying to find all the little gems I've missed this year. So far Polara is my favorite. Awesome game. Ikaruga platform runner. Difficulty curve seems perfect but I'm not sure how far I am in Story mode.

Also, Spaceteam is hilarious and amazing fun.

lol is there any reason why you are using one of those pay per click links?

I think it's just a link shortened by twitter.

Most codes are region locked...anyone invested in iOS gaming should have an US account already.

Yeah, I did have one but having half my games on one account and half on another made updating them a real hassle, I like the simplicity of all my games being in one place, as it were.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, I did have one but having half my games on one account and half on another made updating them a real hassle, I like the simplicity of all my games being in one place, as it were.
You (currently? I never needed to) don't need to change accounts for updates though, unless the game in question isn't available at your local App Store. Sometimes the most you'll be asked to do for updates is to type the password of the account that downloaded the game if you're not logged with it (even on iOS 6), but besides that it's not cumbersome to maintain.

Synless

You can really do better; Cytus is pretty and all but it only barely qualifies as a music game mechanically, and the part that does qualify is just terribly done.

If you have an iPad, jukebeat and REFLEC BEAT + remain my favorites; KONAMI is almost solely responsible for the current generation of music games and these two benefit greatly from their experience. Groove Coaster Zero is another good choice, and one that seems universally praised even from non-rhythm gamers. There's also Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, a competent if minimalistic port of the 3DS game. And all four of these are free to try.

You should be warned transmitting audio via Bluetooth or AirPlay introduces lag; using wired headphones or speakers will always have the best results.
I would have to disagree with you about Cytus. People praise DJMax Technika and it really isn't much different from that. I think Cytus is a competent music rythem game, especially when you play it on hard. It's certainly better than Groove Coaster.

kodt

Banned
I would have to disagree with you about Cytus. People praise DJMax Technika and it really isn't much different from that. I think Cytus is a competent music rythem game, especially when you play it on hard. It's certainly better than Groove Coaster.

I have never played it but people claim the timing is off.

Synless

I have never played it but people claim the timing is off.
Maybe it depends on the phone/tablet? I haven't had any issues with that particular problem. I'm not saying the game is perfect by any means, it has many flaws, but to say it is trash is ridiculous. I would say it is my favorite music game right behind DJmax.

Maybe it depends on the phone/tablet? I haven't had any issues with that particular problem. I'm not saying the game is perfect by any means, it has many flaws, but to say it is trash is ridiculous. I would say it is my favorite music game right behind DJmax.

The difference from Cytus and Technika is that Technika was made by people who know how to make music games. Besides the lack of originality (Technika came before Cytus and clearly was their unspoken "inspiration"), the game completely fails on a technical level: almost every song in the game is off sync, with the sync actually varying from play to play.

To compensate for their inability to synchronize their own game, they made the timing window very, very large - to the point that there are literally hundreds of people in the leaderboards that have achieved perfect scores for every song in the game. (No other music game on iOS with cumulative leaderboard tracking has even ONE person with a perfect sweep, and that includes games with track lists 1/10th the size of Cytus's.) Furthermore, only one type of note in the game, the basic tap, even has any sort of rhythm timing; the holds and drags can be executed literally as soon as the timeline is moving in their direction, with no scoring penalty.

This all makes the game a thoroughly empty experience, because every chart can be phoned in for a perfect score despite not actually deserving one. There's simply no challenge to keep players coming back, and to practice the game and get used to the lax timing would serve only to make the player worse at every other music game that actually has a real scoring system.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well, I went on a bad late night buying spree and these are the iCade games I came out of it with (ok, some of these I had from before during free offers etc, but I basically spent about 24 on the store for the whole haul so not little)...

http://minus.com/mbxar0pAlR8Vfi

Few are great (and some that are great have interface annoyances, lack of portrait mode, etc), some like Katana Jack (I've removed this from the list now, and some freebies like Super Lemonade Factory) are seriously disappointing, some like the Midway Arcade will be barely played (I unlocked all games, and on the Namco Arcade Galaga, Rolling Thunder and Pac-Man), but I went for variety instead of top quality since both were not possible at this time.

For the future I'm considering Qwak HD, Active Soccer, Soul Calibur and a few others that were suggested to me at TA.

Hopefully the compatibility situation will improve over time as I'm still missing beat em ups, fighting games, more platform, puzzle and action games. And more than anything I'll hopefully be able to Jailbreak, or someone will slip another official MAME release through the cracks for another day or two, that would be so amazingly awesome and this time I'd keep it.

But yeah, iPad+iCade seem like a super easy and decently affordable way to get some arcade cabinet style fun going for people who aren't hardcore enough to make room for and buy or make the real thing, I'm kind of baffled there's so little support for it, from consumers and developers. Sure, it could definitely be cheaper for the quality it offers from what I read, but it's not to bad and it can't be that hard for developers to support it yet they don't even for games that are perfect for it. Isn't the SDK 100% freely available? ION should pimp it more to the right channels, not just as this niche novelty item. Send a couple to every notable developer and App site etc, anything other than waste time on things like the iCade Mobile and Jr.

My sister asked me to download so games to her iPod Touch 4g....Holy balls, is it me or this model is slow as fuck?

Every app I download stays a long ass time waiting before starting to download. She's on iOS 6, dunno if that has to do with anything though.

How much is ff tactics? I just bought it yesterday for $8.99. I hope I didn't blow it.

Since ios6, my 4th gen touch has been near worthless. I only use it for music and gaf now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom