• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

Hmm, is Clash of clans any good ?
The mention of the game in a recent Toucharcade best of piece piqued my curiosity.

Don't know why, I don't really like this type of game but I play a lot of them these days. Between Nimblebit, the Simpsons, Happy Street that I just began, Puzzle & Dragons... This is maybe one too much. But who am I kidding, I'm sure I will bite sooner or later.

Hmm, is Clash of clans any good ?
The mention of the game in a recent Toucharcade best of piece piqued my curiosity.
Most profitable game of the year.

Dev's making 500k a day.

I played a few min, seems ok for the style... kinda mixes... farmville, tower defense... a little age of empires? Seems well made, but there probably is a paywall for them to be so profitable.

bob page

Isn't the mini based on the iPad 2 tech? So moving forward, are you not concerned that games will take advantage of the more powerful 4/5 and will seem to grind on the mini.

I have a 3. Mainly waiting for a 5, and a reason to upgrade besides just upgrading.
Yes, but there isn't really anything that advanced yet. By the time those apps hit, you could easily resell the current mini and go with the newer model without taking much of a hit. Hell, I resold my iPad 2 to Amazon this November for $300 and broke even on the mini after ebaying my cases.

NAPK1NS

Any thoughts about Baldur's Gate? I keep hearing crappy things about the UI and other nitpicks. 10 bucks is a lot for a risk.

PFD

I also don't want to support a product that is clearly apple putting a carrot on a stick. Apple knew the demand for an iPad mini and could have easily built in a retina display but then why would people buy the iPad mini 2 in 2013? I love my apple products but their amazing inovation run is coming to an end.

No, the current mini form factor can't support a retina display. It would need a huge battery and a huge SoC. Read Anandtech's mini review, they go into details about this. They don't even expect the mini 2 to have retina.

Fusebox

Banned
Isn't the mini based on the iPad 2 tech? So moving forward, are you not concerned that games will take advantage of the more powerful 4/5 and will seem to grind on the mini.

I have a 3. Mainly waiting for a 5, and a reason to upgrade besides just upgrading.

Same, I have 3 and what I want from 5 is just thinner and lighter and I'll be lining up on day one.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Any thoughts about Baldur's Gate? I keep hearing crappy things about the UI and other nitpicks. 10 bucks is a lot for a risk.

Many thoughts. Lots of bugs, sure. Fantastic game, also sure. I'mm an unbiased first time player and I must have spent at least 40 hours on it. I'm currently on the expansion pack content and loving it. THe game is huge and is a good challenge.

The UI is a little antiquated but once you learn the nuances it's perfectly usable. The controls are similarly idiosyncratic but once you learn the tricks (double tap to attack for instance) it's fine.

NAPK1NS

Alright, thanks for the comments. You got me.

Everyone should check out Cytus. It's a wild rhythm game from Japan. It's got robot boobs.

Shiryu

Neo Member
Not sure if anyone posted yet but Rhythmix is free, both iPad and iPod/iPhone versions. Pretty cool rhythm game that reminds you of DJMax Technica.

Too bad Puzzle & Dragons STILL isn't available in Europe...I never got around making an US iTunes account just for that :/.

Also, I'm trying out this Free App Slots thing, but it seems to not want to give me extra spins on my iPhone 5 (while it has no issues on iPad) when downloading games. Anyone experience a similar problem? Other systems I should be trying as a EuroGAF member?

Thanks

Dingotech

Is there a list somewhere of the free stuff you get obtain via freeappslots?

I've got 15,000 credits and I'm not sure at what point I should 'cash out'.

SeanR1221

Giving up on Ravensword. It's just so lifeless.

I made a couple suggestions to the dev on touch arcade and he kind of rejected them instantly.

Shiryu

Neo Member

Just press the Cash Out button, it'll give a list of the current offers. Think of 10k credits as 1$. So 15k gets you an app between the 1$-2$.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I've settled on these to start the iCade goodness with...

League of Evil 2, Metal Slug 3, Raiden Legacy, Dynamite Jack and Velocispider.

I didn't find much of value in those Atari/Midway/Namco arcades.

A couple of these are kind of filler going against some of my guidelines, there just didn't seem to be more greats.

I also bought Katana Jack, Silverfish Max, AirAttack HD and PaperMonsters but I don't think I'll be giving them these right away for a first impression. They don't seem very good, unless iCade really elevates them, but yeah, I remember Bomb Jack being way superior to Katana Jack in everything and especially controls and level design. And it's kind of obnoxious with its "drawn on iPad" crap all over. I don't care, I just wanna play a fun game. Silverish Max is way too barebones but could be fun if they get hooked. AirAttack HD has a bad perspective that makes your shots narrow as they advance which means being all the way to the bottom left of the screen and firing won't actually hit enemies on the top left of it, you'll miss by a mile. It pales in comparison to the Raiden games regardless. And PaperMonsters seems to lack in level design. I'll need to finish more levels to know but those constant slopes just look boring. But yeah gonna keep these away for when they get bored of the first batch.

I've tried all of them (without iCade yet) and Raiden is a very great port, I hope DotEmu do more iCade supported games, and not just shmups. KoF-i 2012 is taunting me by being iPhone only yet showing iPad screens too.

Anyway, am I missing a truly sweet iCade gem that wasn't suggested yet?

I'm still missing a game my sister would like more though. Shame Tetris doesn't support iCade.

But yeah, seeing the selection I really hope we'll get a Jailbreak for 6.0.2 or 6.1 if they're waiting for that to unveil their exploits on so I can get some more decent use out of it for them with the various emulators.

the think I like about Appshopper is notification only on ur watched apps.

AppZap bombards u with notication u don't need. New notification of apps... but its iOS app store freeze time how can there be new apps for straight 3 days???

dsister44

It seems $10 worth of itunes credit seems to have disappeared randomly from my account ;_;

Edit: And now Apple is trying to make me foolish. Bastards >__>

GeekyDad

Giving up on Ravensword. It's just so lifeless.

I made a couple suggestions to the dev on touch arcade and he kind of rejected them instantly.

I tried the first one a while back, and yeah, that's a good term for it I'd say. As far as that type of game on iOS goes, I found Aralon to be much more enjoyable.

Owzers

I tried the first one a while back, and yeah, that's a good term for it I'd say. As far as that type of game on iOS goes, I found Aralon to be much more enjoyable.

was just going to say that Aralon feels a bit lifeless too, i'm starting to think these types of games aren't for me. Haven't played Ravensword yet though

Absinthe

Is freeappslots better than Freemyapps? Seems like there is a much longer time investment and less reward.

gazele

Banned
was just going to say that Aralon feels a bit lifeless too, i'm starting to think these types of games aren't for me. Haven't played Ravensword yet though

It could just be the developer, since they're the only ones to really try to make that kind of game (which is admirable)

iOS may just not have the CPU power to have good ai for npcs, and you need good art and writing to make those games work

Is freeappslots better than Freemyapps? Seems like there is a much longer time investment and less reward.

Freemyapps is more of a secure time invesment. Freappslots is just lucky ass shit with a horrible website.

Freeappslots can be a hell lot faster, but like I said, is luck based.

Alright, thanks for the comments. You got me.

Everyone should check out Cytus. It's a wild rhythm game from Japan. It's got robot boobs.

It's actually from Taiwan. It's also the worst music game on iOS. Half the notes in the game (the holds and drags) don't even have rhythm timing!

Rhythmix is the better Technika clone if that's the gameplay style you're looking for.

PFD

It could just be the developer, since they're the only ones to really try to make that kind of game (which is admirable)

iOS may just not have the CPU power to have good ai for npcs, and you need good art and writing to make those games work

Dude it's not the AI. Skyrim's AI is obnoxious. It's just that an open world RPG requires a significant budget way beyond what's feasible on iOS.

the think I like about Appshopper is notification only on ur watched apps.

AppZap bombards u with notication u don't need. New notification of apps... but its iOS app store freeze time how can there be new apps for straight 3 days???
I'm asking this honestly and without malice: is English your second language?

PittaGAF

Not that I know of. I am stuck in it t the moment too. Doing he same levels gets boring, especially with all the same drops.

I played it for straight month togheter with one of its clones.
Nice games, but I think D.O.T. Defender of Texel is a better game (at least there is some very slightly more strategy in the attacks).

ParityBit

How far are you? Unlocked the 3* Light dungeon earlier today, but I'm hanging back so I can do some evolving.

I played it for straight month togheter with one of its clones.
Nice games, but I think D.O.T. Defender of Texel is a better game (at least there is some very slightly more strategy in the attacks).

I forgot the name of the dungeon, but I am fighting a frost/ice dragon at the end and it kills me every time. My team barely hurts it and I am not going to spend a gem to continue because they are impossible to get. My main creature is my starting fire dragon. 4 star, level 19 I think. but I need to get level 35 to evolve and its just moving super slow. All the rest of my team are drops from the various dungeons which are not very good.

Since no rares drop for me ever (can they?) unless I use a machine, it has gotten pretty boring seeing the same 4 types of creatures in 5 different colors.

Don't even get me started on the "special dungeons" where my party dies in the first 2-3 levels of the dungeon....

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Dude it's not the AI. Skyrim's AI is obnoxious. It's just that an open world RPG requires a significant budget way beyond what's feasible on iOS.

Ding ding ding. I don't know why anyone expects these games to be any good. A tiny team and they're pumped out with barely a year on the clock? It's admirable for sure, but it doesn't inspire me with hope about the quality of the game.

ParityBit

I have never played a music game, and most of my ios gaming is with the sound off. but I took the dive for $2 to try something new.

I used to play games with the sound off until I picked up a BT headset. Now I always play with the sound on. Huge difference! Way better than the iPad speaker too.

I forgot the name of the dungeon, but I am fighting a frost/ice dragon at the end and it kills me every time. My team barely hurts it and I am not going to spend a gem to continue because they are impossible to get. My main creature is my starting fire dragon. 4 star, level 19 I think. but I need to get level 35 to evolve and its just moving super slow. All the rest of my team are drops from the various dungeons which are not very good.

Since no rares drop for me ever (can they?) unless I use a machine, it has gotten pretty boring seeing the same 4 types of creatures in 5 different colors.

Don't even get me started on the "special dungeons" where my party dies in the first 2-3 levels of the dungeon....
Gonna be honest with you, you should probably delete your data and start over. Having at least one good God type is essential midgame and early game will get you lots of friend requests early on.

When you first start the game, you'll accumulate enough rainbow stones over the course of the tutorial for a rare egg pull. This is the only time in the game you are guaranteed 5 rainbow stones, which is why restarting until you get a good rare is advised. These include some gods (but not all) and the 5* elemental healers.

Also, you should never attempt the Special dungeons unless you know what you're doing.

Maybe I should make an OT lol

Got an ipad for Christmas. I had no idea so many of my iPhone games aren't universal.

The state of universal & iCloud sync are the biggest banes of multi-iOS device owners. I'd love for apple to implement some console like standards in this regard.

I appreciate the pros and cons of universal/non-universal apps in regards to size and development resources, but as a consumer it still frustrates me.

Again, iCloud save support, I appreciate not every devs framework or whatever they use to make their games supports it, but again, as a consumer, it makes for a frustrating experience when you see how it could theoretically be.

ParityBit

Gonna be honest with you, you should probably delete your data and start over. Having at least one good God type is essential midgame and early game will get you lots of friend requests early on.

When you first start the game, you'll accumulate enough rainbow stones over the course of the tutorial for a rare egg pull. This is the only time in the game you are guaranteed 5 rainbow stones, which is why restarting until you get a good rare is advised. These include some gods (but not all) and the 5* elemental healers.

Also, you should never attempt the Special dungeons unless you know what you're doing.

Maybe I should make an OT lol

Oh man, I did not even think of that. If I do that will I loose my friends list? I will defintly try to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom