• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread - *NO. SPOILERS. PERIOD.*

What will TLOU 2 average score be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm actually anticipating Angry Joe's video review.

People anticipate his video game review out of all the video game YouTubers out there. This is probably the biggest review for Joe of this generation.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I also think people should try to limit themselves from YouTube. There's more leaked footage coming out.

Velius

Banned
Doesn't matter, he's irrelevant.

95 meta might as well be 100 meta, cause we all know the reviewers only give those to Nintendo and R*.

GOTY
iu

I am so excited. Just a few more damn days. I'm thinking about doing a playthrough of Uncharted 4 just to get in that mode. Been watching some old U4 reviews/talks and I forgot how stunning that game is.

People anticipate his video game review out of all the video game YouTubers out there. This is probably the biggest review for Joe of this generation.

I'd guess Cyberpunk 2077 will be his biggest review. Especially with how big of a fan that he is of CDPR as a studio since even the very 1st Witcher.

Last edited:

Strategize

Joe is a terrible reviewer. I've said it for years, outside of his production quality. All the points he makes are the most generic talking points possible parroted by what the general feel of the gaming community is towards said product at the time.

The circumstances in which he reviews games is bad aswell. On stream, in front of a chat that can color perception, sometimes with people talking to him in the same room taking attention off the game.

And that's ignoring the fact that he already jumped the gun on this game and decided to be mad about partially fake leaks so he could make a rage video and get money from it. Complete fraud.

Last edited:
Joe is a terrible reviewer. I've said it for years, outside of his production quality. All the points he makes are the most generic talking points possible parroted by what the general feel of the gaming community is towards said product at the time.

The circumstances in which he reviews games is bad aswell. On stream, in front of a chat that can color perception, sometimes with people talking to him in the same room taking attention off the game.

And that's ignoring the fact that he already jumped the gun on this game and decided to be mad about partially fake leaks so he could make a rage video and get money from it. Complete fraud.
Man...Some of ya'll take video-game reviews in some big weird ass directions. They've always been opinions. I don't think I've given a shit about a review since I was maybe 15. I 9 times out 10 already know far ahead of most of my game purchase whether I'm gonna buy it or not. There's usually tons of information to make a decision before hand.

I like Joe's reviews because he puts effort into their production and he usually spends weeks playing the games before he makes a review making his "reviews" usually well after they'd make him any influence on a day 1/week1 consumer looking to purchase. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, I'm usually entertained either way. I don't really follow any of the "drama" channels or rage outtakes from really anyone for any subject, I see them as clickbait or reactionary and just don't really care.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I am so excited. Just a few more damn days. I'm thinking about doing a playthrough of Uncharted 4 just to get in that mode. Been watching some old U4 reviews/talks and I forgot how stunning that game is.

I'd guess Cyberpunk 2077 will be his biggest review. Especially with how big of a fan that he is of CDPR as a studio since even the very 1st Witcher.

I'll respond to you both.

He's not a great reviewer, but if he gives this game a good score, I can see hundreds of people going after him.. If not, then people are going to use his review like the Skill Ups review.

I say it will be biggest review of this gen because of the controversy surrounding this game.

Collin

Banned

yup that guys a total bozo. if you’re over the age of 14 you really shouldn’t care what he has to say. his angry reaction to the leaks is so obnoxiously childish. like what a fucking baby. atleast be funny if you’re shtick is “anger”

I'll respond to you both.

He's not a great reviewer, but if he gives this game a good score, I can see hundreds of people going after him.. If not, then people are going to use his review like the Skill Ups review.

I say it will be biggest review of this gen because of the controversy surrounding this game.
I guess I never realized that there was a "controversy" surrounding the game. I didn't want to spoil anything for the game itself and usually opinions/hot-takes/outrage of any kind across media topics (videogames/movies/politics/music) are always opinions with a high emotional perspective attached and usually devoid of complete perspective/facts/evidence/etc. that it makes it hard for me to care as I can just make up my own mind. Without even knowing what the fuss was about I'd wager it's just people mad that maybe Ellie is the main protagonist this time or that maybe because she's a lesbian? I dunno, I really don't care. Makes absolutely no difference to me.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I guess I never realized that there was a "controversy" surrounding the game. I didn't want to spoil anything for the game itself and usually opinions/hot-takes/outrage of any kind across media topics (videogames/movies/politics/music) are always opinions with a high emotional perspective attached and usually devoid of complete perspective/facts/evidence/etc. that it makes it hard for me to care as I can just make up my own mind. Without even knowing what the fuss was about I'd wager it's just people mad that maybe Ellie is the main protagonist this time or that maybe because she's a lesbian? I dunno, I really don't care. Makes absolutely no difference to me.

Right now, there are a lot of people who think Sony paid journalist to give this game a good review.

IGN gave the game a 10 out of 10, and their video review is sitting at 36k upvotes and 20k downvotes. The only reviews they see as real and honest are the ones who gave it a low review score.

It all started with the leaked videos and fake 4chan plot leaks. A lot of people made up their mind that this is a bad game and anyone who says other wise is a shill.

Angry Joe may not be the best, but I can see people who are trashing this game saying, "I can't wait for Angry Joe to review this game." because they think he's going to completely trash this game, and if he doesn't, he's going to get a lot of backlash from those people and be accused of being a shill.

THEAP99

Banned

39/40 like the first game

Last edited:

haadim

39/40 like the first game
I would not put words ‘Famitsu’ and ‘honest’ in the same sentence, personally, but, whatever

THEAP99

Banned
This is worth listening to. As I suspected, Neil and his team deliberately spliced scenes together to throw you off the scent and even changed dialogue. She says you will be surprised at what the game really is. I'm excited!

Lol. Imagine the outrage if TLOU2 wins goty cus of better representation than Cyberpunk. Other reasons as well are possible, but that reviewer at the end thinks Cyberpunk's got is a "distant dream" now due to representation and not knowing what to expect with it. Also how she believes that narratively it won't be able to match Part 2.

Lol. Imagine the outrage if TLOU2 wins goty cus of better representation than Cyberpunk. Other reasons as well are possible, but that reviewer at the end thinks Cyberpunk's got is a "distant dream" now due to representation and not knowing what to expect with it. Also how she believes that narratively it won't be able to match Part 2.

She even claims Cyberpunk 2077 is not a "single-player narrative-driven game", which is exactly what CDPR are known for and advertising the game as.

If a significant part of her praise hinges on Representation, I cannot take her review seriously. And, additionally, it remains to be seen how CP2077 handles so-called Representation, which is a godawful concept.

But at the end of the day I haven't played either game, so these are open-ended questions.

soooo... what did you guys feel bout this?
2016 is better than Eternal and Death Stranding is decent.

and?

The whole point is sticking to a reviewer that reflects your own tastes and opinions so get a better idea if you will like a game or not and save money.

Edit: and no one pays for 10/10s to be honest they do not need to as most websites are to scared on losing advertising from the companies, this is a fact from the likes of EA, Bethesda, Konami etc they will black list you in a heart beat if you say anything bad about them.

Last edited:

Valentino

This is worth listening to. As I suspected, Neil and his team deliberately spliced scenes together to throw you off the scent and even changed dialogue. She says you will be surprised at what the game really is. I'm excited!

Ohhhhh I'm glad to hear this! I completely forgot ND do this with their trailers.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
The whole point is sticking to a reviewer that reflects your own tastes and opinions so get a better idea if you will like a game or not and save money.

This isn't the problem.
It becomes a problem if people act like their reviewer is the only honest one, while all the others are just liars, afraid to lose money or publisher benefits.
It's fair to form your own opinion, just don't use it to downplay others.

Edit: and no one pays for 10/10s to be honest they do not need to as most websites are to scared on losing advertising from the companies, this is a fact from the likes of EA, Bethesda, Konami etc they will black list you in a heart beat if you say anything bad about them.

And big media outlets will report about that, creating backlash.
This narrative is so pointless. If that would be true, every AAA game from a big publisher would have 90+ ratings. And the last years have shown that this just isn't the true.

Last edited:
We went from "the game will be woke" to Polygon and Kotaku saying they arent' fans because it's too disturbing and violent, guess it wasn't quite woke enough for them?

On the Angry Joe subject: He's got pretty normie takes and his drama bs and his stuff about movies/tv shows proves he's not the most reliable person, however, one thing you can't take away from his reviews is that they're comprehensive enough you have a very good idea of what the game will be like and if you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:

Valentino

I've just been on a Naughty Dog game binge. TLoU, then Uncharted 4, then Lost Legacy, now i've just downloaded the Nathan Drake collection. Honestly, Uncharted 4 has to be one of my favourite games. I did every collectable and every optional conversation which I hadn't done before. And once i made sense of a few stories from the collectables (like the pirates who went after the the same treasure hundreds of years ago) it just added a whole new layer to the game. Really felt like there was some history to the locations. Lost Legacy is a great expansion too.

DarkBatman

I've just been on a Naughty Dog game binge. TLoU, then Uncharted 4, then Lost Legacy, now i've just downloaded the Nathan Drake collection. Honestly, Uncharted 4 has to be one of my favourite games. I did every collectable and every optional conversation which I hadn't done before. And once i made sense of a few stories from the collectables (like the pirates who went after the the same treasure hundreds of years ago) it just added a whole new layer to the game. Really felt like there was some history to the locations. Lost Legacy is a great expansion too.

I loved the U4 ending.
It was a very smart move to pass the legacy of a legendary adventurer on to the next generation. I'll never forget opening the cupboard as Nathan Drakes daughter, seeing all the treasures from the past games. It was just a perfect closure to a perfect story.

PanzerAzel

Angry Joe’s an obnoxious moron. Much of his shtick is childish and meandering, but that’s his appeal. I think he’s self-aware enough to understand why his audience tunes in, he doesn’t pretend anything otherwise, and I personally highly enjoy his juvenile antics, tantrums and absurd skits. He’s for entertainment, nothing more, and in that he succeeds if you’re into his particular flavor. I’ve no idea why anyone would take his critique seriously.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Gold Member
What kind of nonsense is this. Their last major release, Red Dead Redemption II, had a story mode that was easily 50hrs.
This is true and imo RDR2 is a masterpiece but I feel that was their last hurrah. We should have gotten SP expansions and we should be on GTA 7 by now instead of rehashing GTA V.

HotPocket69

Banned
Funny how I don't see this backlash when Mario or Zelda or RDR2 get 10/10's.

People really get triggered when PlayStation get those crazy meta's.

There was plenty of backlash for the “perfect” RDR2 scores once the game was in people’s hands upon its official release.

As for Zelda and Mario, that’s just that good ol Nintendo grading curve 😉

Spaceman292

Banned
Interestingly, Polygon and Kotaku seem to dislike the game. They echo some of what Skill Up had to say about the story and characters. Here are a few quotes that stood out to me.

Kotaku:

Polygon:

I tell like I will totally agree with these reviews. Just psychotic violence without anything clever to back it up.

Winkle

The more vids i see of this game the more im thinking they are PS5 ready with it due to the prompt colours. Not colour buttons like all their previous games on the PS4 but white now which falls inline with the PS5 colour button configuration. GOT also does this, I wonder what treats they have in the improved version for us?

Vroadstar

Gold Member
The more vids i see of this game the more im thinking they are PS5 ready with it due to the prompt colours. Not colour buttons like all their previous games on the PS4 but white now which falls inline with the PS5 colour button configuration. GOT also does this, I wonder what treats they have in the improved version for us?

They probably have one running already but ND is keeping it close to their chest in the meantime. Given that this got released so close to PS5, I'll be playing this on Pro several times and then on PS5 several times again just like the original

Here we go again about objectively reviewing things......

For the last time you can't "objectively" state an opinion on media/food/art etc, it's all subjective because one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I love hack//gu series but you might find it utter trash.

Danjin44 Danjin44 finds Nier Automata one of the best games ever while i find it to be a mediocre game with a fantastic OST.

Humdinger

If the issue for them is the game is too “bleak” then I guess I have nothing to worry about. I loved games like Drakengard which way more bleak than TLOU part 2.

That's not really it. I mean, that's part of it, but it's more than just "it's bleak and violent." If I'm reading them correctly, it's about several other things as well:

- The fact that you are forced to do things and then the developers pedantically make this obvious point over and over, that what you've just done is bad and wrong. The game figuratively wags its finger in your face for doing things it forces you to do.

- The "points" the story makes are obvious first-grade level ideas. It beats you over the head with them, repeatedly, as if you are some moron who won't understand unless the lesson is repeated a dozen times. And yet it's something you already know. You don't need the developers to enlighten you. So there's a condescending quality to it.

- The characters are unable to figure the simplest moral truths out. They are emotionally stunted people who pursue petty agendas the entire game. They never figure the most basic things out, even as the game makes the same first-grade point over and over and over. So, they found the characters to be unrealistically, unbelievably stupid (emotionally or morally speaking).

- The developers are focused on "deconstructing" the characters, meaning removing any redeeming qualities from them, leaving nothing but a shallow husk.

- Ellie also loses her uniqueness as a character and becomes interchangeable. Petty stories of revenge and violence would be a dime a dozen in this world.

I know you've said you are going to play the game and see for yourself, and I support that. I just wanted to clarify that, to these reviewers, there is more to it than "the game is violent and bleak." It's more than that.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
If the issue for them is the game is too “bleak” then I guess I have nothing to worry about. I loved games like Drakengard which way more bleak than TLOU part 2.
Drakengard had a message behind it. Plus it's a janky-looking fantasy ps2 game. There aren't any lovingly rendered throat stabbings like in TLOU.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Bay Area Gaf:
Let us unite in search of an early release copy of this game. I'm calling a couple places in the East Bay and will report back. Anyone down to check other sections of the bay or know any spots that commonly break release?

Bryank75

Banned
Angry Joe might talk bollocks sometimes but at least he's not a vile, sour, toxic bearded pissflap like the Quartering, some of the shite he's put out lately is unreal.
Have to agree, I used to watch him from time to time but he has become insufferable.... maybe he was always like that but I didn't watch enough to notice.

Most critics do strive for objectivity, it's why they ding points on a game they love for inarguable imperfections like glitches. They don't critique games like one would critique art, it's more like product reviews, hence the ability of that product to function being part of the review.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Drakengard had a message behind it. Plus it's a janky-looking fantasy ps2 game.
I LOVE the way Yoko Taro writes stories and characters, but the biggest massage in Drakengard is that people can do horrible, horrible things to each if they think their side is right

There aren't any lovingly rendered throat stabbings like in TLOU
Honestly don't mind that, this game is not about glorifying "killing" same way games like Doom or Mortal Kombat does.

Bay Area Gaf:
Let us unite in search of an early release copy of this game. I'm calling a couple places in the East Bay and will report back. Anyone down to check other sections of the bay or know any spots that commonly break release?
I haven't been in The Bay Area for a few years, but I DO remember a Mom and Pop videogame store in Alameda that was run by an older Chinese couple that often broke street date years ago when I'd go their. I can't remember the name, but it was like the ONLY videogame store in Alameda on Park Street. Oakland has 1 or 2 independent stores too but I never had much luck with them.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Easy Allies responded to accusations that they were paid to give this game a good score.

There have been a lot of baseless accusations about our review simply due to the fact that we gave it a high score, which by the way, is a consensus broadly shared by numerous critics who we've had no communication with nor way of knowing that they would be of similar opinion. Our review is based on the opinions and critical judgment of Michael Huber and absolutely nothing else. He's worked hard to say what he thought is important to say without spoiling events for anyone. If you play the game and decide to disagree with his review, that's fine, but there are no grounds to question our integrity. This review has not been handled any differently than any of our past reviews.

This review is not sponsored. We've never done a sponsored review, have no intention of doing any sponsored reviews, and generally avoid sponsorship from companies we cover.

As for those who think we would be afraid of losing access to review copies, we absolutely are not. I've never had a publisher withhold copies due to a low score in the past, nor in any way insinuate that they would, and it would be an absolutely boneheaded PR move if they did. In some cases, I've had publishers actually send additional copies of a game after we gave it a low or average score, and they generally just thank us for the honest feedback so they can improve the product in patches or improve future products.

If in some theoretical case, if someone did decide to hold back copies, then oh well. I would be upset with that representative, I would argue with them, I would likely take it up with their coworkers or supervisors, but never in a million years would we alter a review because we thought it would make a publisher unhappy. They also do not get access to reviews or scores before the public.

I've been writing about games for decades. I'm not going to throw that trust away over the possibility that a publisher might be petty over a review. Either that person would cool down and decide they need to start sending us review copies again or they would eventually be replaced by someone else.

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor, Easy Allies

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Angry Joe might talk bollocks sometimes but at least he's not a vile, sour, toxic bearded pissflap like the Quartering, some of the shite he's put out lately is unreal.
Agreed several times over. I'm not some huge Joe fan by any means, the dude started with a schtick and personality that got him attention. But it's clear he puts a lot of work into his content, and I respect that. People like what they're gonna like. Streamers, influencers, etc., they're all pretty damn subjective.

That being said I followed The Quartering for a bit, but then he just went down this whole where it felt like he was really reaching. A lot of the time he felt desperate for attention and clicks. More stuff got click-baity, and some things even felt misplaced.

Even if his content ain't something I'm 100% into, I respect Joe a LOT more than I do The Quartering.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

Easy Allies responded to accusations that they were paid to give this game a good score.

Just read through the comments to their statement - and people still accuse them of being paid by Sony.
It's just so sad. Easy Allies, especially Huber, worked so hard for so many years to gain the trust of the community.
Now they have to write such a statement AND defend it against those hardcore haters who really think Sony is paying 80+ outlets around the world, because anything else wouldn't fit into their stubborn and hateful narrative.
I'm just embarrassed what happend to (parts) of the gaming community.

Even if his content ain't something I'm 100% into, I respect Joe a LOT more than I do The Quartering.

Amen. Just saw his latest video on "The Last of Us 2" and it's just terrible how hard he tries to spin every news surrounding the game and give it the worst spin he can.
Meanwhile Joe lost me a few years back due to his overdone angry rants and mediocre jokes, but at least he manages to present his own opinion in a comprehensible way.

Sygma

Expecting good representation in Cyberpunk is the funniest shit since the game is all about dog pilling on fucking everybody not high enough on the social scale. Its going to make people angry and I can't wait for it tbh

Top Bottom