• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

chaosaeon

I wish someone would post a super close-up of Joe's face.

I wish someone would post a super close-up of Joe's face.
post a super close-up of Joe's face
close-up of Joe's face
Joe's face.

joe280.jpg

-griffy-

Banned
Nah, from the comparison pics posted a few days ago that doesn't seem to be the case.

We know at least one element to the "improved" lighting. In the original game, there was a light bounce effect utilized in certain areas, where if you shown a flashlight on an object it would bounce the color of that object around. So a red object would bounce red light off it when light hit it, lighting up the surrounding area with red. But this was only used in certain areas. The remastered version will have this effect enabled all the time. Hence improved lighting.

Cubed

Random rant:

I really hope the AA is better than it's coming off in a lot of these shots. Before I go any further, I want to clarify that I'm not one of those that bitches about every small little detail or expect anything more than just a remaster of the PS3 game. I'm going to enjoy this game all over again no matter what and I think 1080P and 60 frames per second are both the most significant upgrades.

However, I expected the textures to get a decent bump up going off of what was said by naughty dog leading up to the release of this game and it doesn't appear the textures have been remodeled, just simply up-ressed. Okay, I get that that's a lot of work... so then the image quality should at least be super-crisp. I guess I thought I was keeping my expectations in check but maybe I was still expecting too much. I just assumed that textures would get a decent bump and when that didn't appear to be the case, I would at least expect the IQ to increase; but outside of 1080P it doesn't seem to have a better AA filter.

GAF has ruined me, haha. I used to only care about framerate and overall graphical detail, but ever since I've become a regular here I care a lot more about resolution and IQ.

orochi91

Random rant:

I really hope the AA is better than it's coming off in a lot of these shots. Before I go any further, I want to clarify that I'm not one of those that bitches about every small little detail or expect anything more than just a remaster of the PS3 game. I'm going to enjoy this game all over again no matter what and I think 1080P and 60 frames per second are both the most significant upgrades.

However, I expected the textures to get a decent bump up going off of what was said by naughty dog leading up to the release of this game and it doesn't appear the textures have been remodeled, just simply up-ressed. Okay, I get that that's a lot of work... so then the image quality should at least be super-crisp. I guess I thought I was keeping my expectations in check but maybe I was still expecting too much. I just assumed that textures would get a decent bump and when that didn't appear to be the case, I would at least expect the IQ to increase; but outside of 1080P it doesn't seem to have a better AA filter.

GAF has ruined me, haha. I used to only care about framerate and overall graphical detail, but ever since I've become a regular here I care a lot more about resolution and IQ.

I agree. The aliasing was very noticeable in the trailer they put out. It was disappointing.
I need to see more footage before I can make a conclusive decision with regards to a purchase.

Aliasing and Z-fighting detracted from the image quality.

kaskade

Random rant:

I feel like aliasing looks worse in pictures than in motion. I'm thinking the game in motion is going to look really damn good.

The textures are from the much higher source art and not just the PS3 textures "up-ressed". Also, the AA is definitely better than what we got on the PS3. Not sure if you were expecting some sort of super sampling or something. Until a better form of AA is invented that doesn't require the game to be rendered at a much higher form than what will be on-screen, we'll have to live with this kind of IQ on consoles.

antitrop

I feel like aliasing looks worse in pictures than in motion. I'm thinking the game in motion is going to look really damn good.

For The Last of Us on PS3, aliasing was actually much worse in motion due to the supremely distracting shimmer effect on distant objects.

The textures are from the much higher source art and not just the PS3 textures "up-ressed". Also, the AA is definitely better than what we got on the PS3. Not sure if you were expecting some sort of super sampling or something. Until a better form of AA is invented that doesn't require the game to be rendered at a much higher form than what will be on-screen, we'll have to live with this kind of IQ on consoles.

Yeah, there's a rather dramatic difference in texture quality

lastofus-screen1-compt1dmb.gif

orochi91

It's the other way around, it's looks terrible in motion.

For The Last of Us on PS3, aliasing was actually much worse in motion due to the supremely distracting shimmer effect on distant objects.

Yup. That shimmering will probably still be there to an extent.

These things have seriously soured my expectations of this remaster.

maybe it's been discussed in this thread already, but how much quicker are the load times in the remastered edition compared to the ps3 version?

has DF or any of those technical sites gotten their hands on the remastered edition?

got into this tonight. good stuff to tide you over for a bit.
Did you get the paperback of American Dreams? I just got The Art of The Last of Us today and I'm thinking of buying that as well, but I've read mixed things about it, in terms of how much it actually adds to the lore of the game. I've read comments saying that it ultimately adds nothing and is skippable, and the complete opposite. What's your take?

Also, the art book looks amazing. Dark Horse did another good job on a viddya artbook. I am impressed.

jwk94

Do we know how the Left Behind DLC is going to be handled? Do we have to select it separate from the campaign or will it be integrated this time?

I realize I'm a little late on the demastering party, but having just read through American Dreams again, while listening to the TLoU soundtrack, I decided I should do some avatars.

Here's Joel if anyone's interested:

uykemv0.png

I'm working on a Clicker and I'll probably do Ellie tomorrow.

Less than a week now!

VashTS

With the the amount of gross compression and lack of 60fps support on youtube, that video is not worth watching. Better off just watching a video of the PS3 version instead.

HORRORSHØW

I realize I'm a little late on the demastering party, but having just read through American Dreams again, while listening to the TLoU soundtrack, I decided I should do some avatars.

uykemv0.png

Less than a week now!

thanks!

LOLOMGWTFBBQ

Neo Member

uykemv0.png

Less than a week now!

Nicely done!

Top Bottom