• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

Alebelly

Tomb Raider
Metro Last Light
The Last of Us
GTAV (rumoured)

It seems all the games that came out near the end of last gen are getting ports. I am glad I held off buying games

I tried so damn hard to hold off, turns out I don't have much else goin on

viveks86

Eric Monacelli has started answering a few questions in the blog post: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...emastered-coming-to-ps4-summer-2014/#comments

Can you show us a video showing the improvements like the Tomb Raider team did? Thanks.

+ Eric Monacelli on April 9th, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:
We will be sharing more about it in the coming weeks.

I hereby declare that "coming weeks" is the new "soon".

Duckmann you fucking genius!

duckman.GIF

Honestly, I wish they (all game devs) would just stop remastering titles.

I understand the desire for publishers to focus more on new titles, but blockbusters keep the industry moving. It's like wanting an end to re-releasing old movies on Blu-ray, despite Star Wars and Marvel still keeping movie studios alive.

On another note, this is really smart for Sony as there are many 360 gamers who switched (will switch) to PS4 without ever owning a PS3.

Apath

This is nothing new -- complete edition of games are released all the time at full price point. And this is even one step up from that.

Faith

S¡mon;107564219 said:
  • $59.99
  • Release: Summer 2014
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1080
  • Framerate: targeting 60 fps source
  • Higher resolution character models
  • Improved shadows and lighting
  • Several other gameplay improvements
  • In-game cinematic commentary from the cast and creative director
  • Includes: Abandoned Territories Map Pack
  • Includes: Reclaimed Territories Map Pack
  • Includes: The Last of Us: Left Behind single-player campaign
Holy cow!

Day 1.

MavFan619

Banned
I'm all for better versions of PS3 games get rereleased on PS4. I see it as if I just got a new PC, I would likely get some of my favorite games again to get more out of it graphically and in framerate. Also with TLOU being my game of last gen I am in there day 1, again.

reKon

Banned
This edition was worth the wait. I'm glad I didn't need to wait until E3 to get confirmation. It's definitely worth just because I'll get to play it on the PS4 and no deal with the slowness of the PS3.

The multitasking capabilities + headset/dualshock 4 makes this a no doubt in my mind day 1 purchase. I'd rather pay for this PS4 version than getting a $20 copy of the PS3 version. I don't know about you guys but it's a night/day difference in terms of the console experience between the two. I love being able to instantly get in and out of games and navigating between apps quickly. On the PS3 after you start a game or get into the SEN store, it's delay and slowness everywhere. That alone I'm excited for as much as the 1080P and visual/gameplay improvements.

Very happy that we'll probably get GTA V too. There's been no word on Bioshock, but that would complete it for me. Three of some of the best games I didn't play last gen yet.

Loudninja

Ps blog comments:
+ Eric Monacelli on April 9th, 2014 at 12:21 pm said:

We are targeting 60fps.
+ Eric Monacelli on April 9th, 2014 at 12:27 pm said:

DLC Drop 3 is coming yet. More news on that very soon.
+ Eric Monacelli on April 9th, 2014 at 12:31 pm said:

Nope. We are targeting 60fps.
MP progress wont carry over
+ Eric Monacelli on April 9th, 2014 at 12:32 pm said:

It will not. We’ll be discussing multiplayer plans in the near future.
+ Eric Monacelli on April 9th, 2014 at 12:28 pm said:

No post pandemic edition planned for PS4. Sorry!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/09/the-last-of-us-remastered-coming-to-ps4-summer-2014/

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'll be double dipping for sure. Even at full price. The thought of playing the game

@1080p/60fps, with higher quality textures, and the dual shock 4 is enough for me.

The problem with many PS360 era games is that some great games were hindered by poor performance.

Give me Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time at 1080p/60, and I'll be in fucking heaven. I'd love to have these games remastered for PS4 along with The Last of Us:

1) The Ratchet Future trilogy
2) The inFAMOUS series
3) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
4) PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale
5) Starhawk and Warhawk
6) Ni No Kuni
7) Uncharted trilogy
8) Folklore
9) Killzone 2 and 3
10) PSN titles like the Pixeljunk Series, Fat Princess, and Journey.

And Demon's Souls, of course.

I would gladly, and with no restraint rebuy all of these on PS4. The improved performance and DS4 is worth it, for me. I plugged my DS4 into my PS3 and played some The Last of Us with it, and it felt so damn good. Cannot wait for this PS4 remaster. Those that aren't interested in HD remakes/remasters, and PS4 enhanced editions don't have to buy the titles, but for many of us, who either missed out on their original release, or just want to have a superior/definitive version of their games, this is great news, and a trend we don't mind.

Eusis

So very, very glad I only rented the original TLoU. I'll get this... whenever, but I do want this to be the version of TLoU I own.

PerZona

No source, directly from game shops that got the release date from Sony. Sorry if my source is "not believable" but you guys will see if I'm right or wrong soon....it will release in mid June this year.

I already called the anniversary date of 6/14, on page 1 or 2 so get in line buddy, lol.

I mentioned it in another thread (the rumor thread), like last month. So....yeah I think you should get in line instead =/

Lemondish

why do you feel that way? are you implying you wouldn't like your favourite PC titles to be remastered? not just mods, but full overhauls by the company themselves.

I know I would have totally doubled dipped for Half-Life 1 with the Source engine way back in 2004. Its too late now for the mods to hold my attention.

Ehhh, I already had my thrills. It's funny that they had to say something because of their fuck up though lol. However, this is still good for those out there that have a PS4, never played it on the PS3 and finally get a chance to play it. Personally, I'll wait until it's $40 to play but to each their own.

farisr

I'm sure that additional difficulty that Straley tweeted about a couple weeks ago will be included as well.

Surprised there's no inclusion of Grounded

Grounded was posted for free on youtube in full length by Sony themselves about a month ago or so.

If it's a person that never played the game, it's practically a new game on the PS4 for purchase.

By this reasoning, all remasters can be priced at $60, because there will always be someone who hasn't played the original version.

Anyways, this game does bundle in additional content that was not present in the original version and was paid DLC, GOTY editions that do that usually end up being sold for $40, but then they're not enhanced like this.

So basically, The Last Of Us Game Of The Year Edition with Left Behind DLC + Map packs would've cost $40 if they released it this summer, and they've done work on top of that, so that's where the extra $20 ($60 pricetag) is justified.

It's all a matter of whether you personally consider it worth it or not. I will be waiting till it hits $40, since I bought the ps3 version last year.

Tomb Raider performance levels would be fantastic. I'll take a locked 30 though over Infamous esque framerate.

So glad I waited for this :)

fixuis

I'll be double dipping for sure. Even at full price. The thought of playing the game

@1080p/60fps, with higher quality textures, and the dual shock 4 is enough for me.

The problem with many PS360 era games is that some great games were hindered by poor performance.

Give me Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time at 1080p/60, and I'll be in fucking heaven. I'd love to have these games remastered for PS4 along with The Last of Us:

1) The Ratchet Future trilogy
2) The inFAMOUS series
3) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
4) PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale
5) Starhawk and Warhawk
6) Ni No Kuni
7) Uncharted trilogy
8) Folklore
9) Killzone 2 and 3
10) PSN titles like the Pixeljunk Series, Fat Princess, and Journey.

And Demon's Souls, of course.

I would gladly, and with no restraint rebuy all of these on PS4. The improved performance and DS4 is worth it, for me. I plugged my DS4 into my PS3 and played some The Last of Us with it, and it felt so damn good. Cannot wait for this PS4 remaster. Those that aren't interested in HD remakes/remasters, and PS4 enhanced editions don't have to buy the titles, but for many of us, who either missed out on their original release, or just want to have a superior/definitive version of their games, this is great news, and a trend we don't mind.

love your list, add MAG to that and we're golden. Do it Sony!!!! This is great news. I can finally sell my ps3 and unplayed copy of last of us.. Can't wait to play it with all the bells and whistles of ps4..

Elixist

urge to ps4 rising. man the fact that the gods are remastering really has me excited to see footage. so i imagine if nothing the else the multi will be locked at 60 frames hnnnng.

ciddative

Yea, I think the cinematics will be untouched except maybe at higher quality.

Wut?

I wonder if they are going to re-render the cinematics or not even bother. They are compressed as hell on he PS3 version and look terrible compared to in-game gameplay. (even though the cinematics could not possibly run in real time on the PS3 hardware)

I'm not getting this talk of TLOU cutscenes being pre-rendered. I was under the impression that they were being generated in real-time, but used higher quality assets as the conditions (angles, objects on screen, animation,etc ) were fixed, hence they could optimize more precisely with no surprises, the same concept used in the Uncharted series and the Arkham series.

Are they really pre rendered and just stuck on disc as movie files?

Also, I thought TLOU cutscenes were absolutely stunning, Ellie's facial expressions in particular, and I thought Left Behind even more impressive. How one can say
they looked terrible compared to gameplay.... I don't even...

What do they say? At work on my phone.

They biggest point being that they started this right after they shipped TLOU, which probably means they had this in the cards for a bit before that.

I think it's pretty smart and forward thinking on their part. Release on the platform that will sell fastest, then re-release on the new platform while it's still young and lacking quality competition.

Ludovico

Played and loved the game last year.
Really been wanting to get back into it and have a chance to play the DLC, but I'm terrified that this is the game that'll end up killing my PS3. My poor MGS system was struggling throughout, so this is a perfect alternative!

Just have to get a ps4 first....but at least I already have a vita and a nice backlog of PS+ games

It's worth the $60 for those who haven't played it especially with the DLC. Considering the amount of people who have a PS4 without having a PS3 they would be dumb to launch for any less than $60.

ciddative

Not sure if this is already brought up, but

If they censor the european version again (no gore in MP)

they can totally *** a **** and ** themselfs.

just dont release it in germany then.

as a side rant, we get horrible screwed in europe with some games thanks to germany.

Amen to that. I stopped playing MP, great as it was/is, due to this. We shall see.

N.Domixis

Banned
They should hide the antonio joel.gif cinematic scene as an easter egg. For example you crawl through a secret sewer and you get to see another joel in the distance doing the antonio.gif

Top Bottom