• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

StuBurns

Banned
Ha! I've been thinking it feels like a rush job this whole time. I've had some weird glitches and a few moments of slowdown.
I've had a couple of glitches too, but I did in the original, and certainly it's dropped frames, but the original bounced randomly around the mid-twenties most the time.

It's all relative I guess. It's not super polished, but it's a colossal improvement over the original in basically every area, and it would make for a far better first experience I think.

What difficulty should I play Left Behind on? I haven't played it yet so I have no idea what to expect. Is there a lot of combat in it? I'm very well versed in the main game.

Left Behind is really tough on survivor/grounded because there's really no supplies at all. I went through all the combat parts only being able to craft a health kit and nothing else, although I'm sure I missed some supplies here and there. The last combat section on grounded is really really difficult. It's satisfying, though, once you finally beat it.

What difficulty should I play Left Behind on? I haven't played it yet so I have no idea what to expect. Is there a lot of combat in it? I'm very well versed in the main game.

I played it when it first came out and jumped straight into survivor and honestly it wasn't challenging besides the last encounter probably. All you need is patience.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've had a couple of glitches too, but I did in the original, and certainly it's dropped frames, but the original bounced randomly around the mid-twenties most the time.

It's all relative I guess. It's not super polished, but it's a colossal improvement over the original in basically every area, and it would make for a far better first experience I think.
im having that first experience and it's really something else.

The frame rate is solid enough that it is a rock solid 60. It's a beauty and very smooth. Feels like a PC game.

StuBurns

Banned
im having that first experience and it's really something else.

The frame rate is solid enough that it is a rock solid 60. It's a beauty and very smooth. Feels like a PC game.
How far are you?

That's the real magic of this game, it only gets better.

Equip the brick, sneak up behind a Clicker, click Square until it's head is pulp.

Disclaimer: It will make noise and attract other Clickers. So have an escape route and hiding place planned out.
Oh man, I had no idea.

I have hit em with a thrown brick before rushing in with my melee weapon - one solid hit and they drop, but it sounds like it makes just as much noise as just bashing em to death with the brick. Still, don't have to worry about losing melee weapon durability that way. Good to know.

Oh and some quirky things Ive noticed that bug me a bit. For trying to be realistic, it is kinda silly that when you take down an human, you cant loot their gun or ammo. I know that if you could, it would almost trivialize the difficulty, but it just seems odd.

Its also funny that you walk around all quiet and stealth like, but then hey, lets drag this huge, loud ass dumpster or file cabinet. Just sucks when gameplay gets in the way of reality.

I also wish I could turn myself off. Part of the reason I don't want much TV anymore is because its completely unrealistic and I tear apart everything that's not right. I do the same thing to my daughters shows, but I direct it at the wife, not my daughter.

Anyway, still a good game so far. Really looking forward to adding another Plat to my collection.

Cudder

I really wish the camera in photo mode wasn't always centered on Joel. It makes getting certain shots pretty hard. Really would like a free roam camera.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How far are you?

That's the real magic of this game, it only gets better.

Just got through the barrier out of the safe zone. You have to venture through the tipped over skyscraper and get out the other side. I just got out to the otherside and saw the cutscene where joel tries to tell ellie to be careful crossing the plank and she scoffs at him. Then he poignantly looks at his broken watch.
It was good stuff.

Gaz_RB

Ok guys, I'm going to try to get serious about this TLOU MP tourny. It won't be til the end of next week or so, so you'll have time to finish the story mode.

If I can get a list of 16 names of people who want to compete, I will make a new thread and get it all organized. But I want to make sure there is sufficient interest. I'm thinking I'll get some PSN credit or something for the winners.

If you want to compete, PM me. If you know others that you would want to team up with and you know they would want to as well, you can give me their names too.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Equip the brick, sneak up behind a Clicker, click Square until it's head is pulp.

Disclaimer: It will make noise and attract other Clickers. So have an escape route and hiding place planned out.

You can do it from the front too, since they can't see.

StuBurns

Banned
Just got through the barrier out of the safe zone. You have to venture through the tipped over skyscraper and get out the other side. I just got out to the otherside and saw the cutscene where joel tries to tell ellie to be careful crossing the plank and she scoffs at him. Then he poignantly looks at his broken watch.
It was good stuff.
Oh man, barely scratching the surface.

I'm pretty pumped that a new audience gets a chance to play this. Obviously being exclusive has benefits, but limiting the potential audience is certainly not one of them.

Evil Beaver

Run to an area that's open and then crouch and slowly start walking away while you avoid the clickers. They'll all gather at the last area they heard your loud footsteps. Either molotov or sneak past them.

HowDoiHoldAllTheseBullets.jpg

sajj316

Purely annectodal but I went to 3 Gamestops to finally snag my copy after the PS3 version trade in to get $25 dollars credit. Seems this is selling well.

Purely annectodal but I went to 3 Gamestops to finally snag my copy after the PS3 version trade in to get $25 dollars credit. Seems this selling well.

Anecdotal here as well but it is selling well. Friend tried to get a copy and all EB Games, Best Buy, and Futureshops in my city are completely sold out. Best Buy and Futureshop are also sold out online. Only Amazon.ca seems to have it in stock.

sajj316

Anecdotal here as well but it is selling well. Friend tried to get a copy and all EB Games, Best Buy, and Futureshops in my city are completely sold out. Best Buy and Futureshop are also sold out online. Only Amazon.ca seems to have it in stock.

Very excited to play this again as I did not finish the PS3 version or dive into MP. I will enjoy every polygon of this game ..

You can do it from the front too, since they can't see.

insertmindblowngifbecauseimonmhphone.gif

Oh yeah, what's up with arrows? I thought you could retrieve them if you scored a headshot but that isn't always the case. Anyway to maximise their uses? Playing survivor so maybe they break more than usual.

And damn Clickers bobbing and weaving skills

daveo42

Banned

Oh yeah, what's up with arrows? I thought you could retrieve them if you scored a headshot but that isn't always the case. Anyway to maximise their uses? Playing survivor so maybe the break more than usual.

You aren't the only one who used bricks completely wrong either. I wish I had used them more during my first normal playthrough.

As for arrows, you can miss and still have them survive. Not sure if random or if it is based on how they hit the ground, either after killing an enemy or from striking the wall/ground.

GavinUK86

Run to an area that's open and then crouch and slowly start walking away while you avoid the clickers. They'll all gather at the last area they heard your loud footsteps. Either molotov or sneak past them.

HowDoiHoldAllTheseBullets.jpg

Yeah, when there are loads of Clickers I smash a bottle in a certain area, run away and wait for them all to gather in that one place then lob a molotov. Hilariously satisfying.

Vitor711

Ha! I've been thinking it feels like a rush job this whole time. I've had some weird glitches and a few moments of slowdown.

Same. I've had some really egregious pop-in and weird issues with reflections. Also some choppy FPS in spots where nothing is going on.

Also had some of the NPC AI warp in weird ways that I never saw on PS3. The 6 month dev time was clearly an issue.

It's still better than most games but it's weird going through it now when the PS3 version had very few visible bugs.

Cudder

True, but from the front you run the risk of them parrying one of the blows and then dining on your trachea.
If you're unseen and you start battering their head with a brick, they won't counter you. They only parry you when you attack them when they are aware of you.

Voorhees

If you're unseen and you start battering their head with a brick, they won't counter you. They only parry you when you attack them when they are aware of you.

Ahhh that makes sense. Guess I started getting cocky on my Grounded run last night then.

daveo42

Banned
It was a year.

You are both right. Kind of. It took them to January to get the engine to work on the PS4. Once they had a workable engine they could transition to the enhancements while fixing bugs and other streaming issues. The engine transition was the hard part of them and ate up a good chunk of time. The last six months was the rest.

daveo42

Banned
So if i pumped the difficulty to grounded, can i still earn Grounded difficulty trophy?

You have to complete every chapter at the Grounded difficulty to earn the trophy. So any earlier chapters would need to be redone to get it. At least that's based on how the game applies it to each chapter and allows the NG+ glitch to work.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Oh yeah, what's up with arrows? I thought you could retrieve them if you scored a headshot but that isn't always the case. Anyway to maximise their uses? Playing survivor so maybe they break more than usual.

I was able to retrieve all my arrows in
the high school
after shooting a runner in the arm. The body shots were a coin flip, mostly resulting in a broken arrow. YMMV and I only paid attention to it in there, not any other area.

Killer

Banned
You have to complete every chapter at the Grounded difficulty to earn the trophy. So any earlier chapters would need to be redone to get it. At least that's based on how the game applies it to each chapter and allows the NG+ glitch to work.

I think i'm gonna change it. thanks!

antitrop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bPJWGMM1b4

"We started working on it pretty much as soon as we finished the PS3."
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/29/5945427/how-naughty-dog-brought-the-last-of-us-to-the-PS4

"While ports of classic games for new consoles is a decades-old trick, Naughty Dog faced a massive challenge getting the game ready for its summer launch. "We did not have a PlayStation 4 engine capable of running anything on January 1st, 2014," says Gyrling, who spearheaded PS4 development at the studio. "The Last of Us shipped in June of 2013, but we didn’t start writing any code or move people over to working on the remaster until February of 2014.""

Mad1723

Well, you guys have done it. PS4 Last of Us bundle is on the way from Amazon as we speak!

Was waiting for a good bundle to buy it and this seems like the best one to start my PS4 adventure. I didn't get The Last of Us for PS3 as games that run under 30FPS tend to ruin my gameplay. I'm a PC gamer first and foremost, and seeing that they made a 60FPS version with better graphics, I'm jumping on the occasion :D

daveo42

Banned
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/29/5945427/how-naughty-dog-brought-the-last-of-us-to-the-PS4

"While ports of classic games for new consoles is a decades-old trick, Naughty Dog faced a massive challenge getting the game ready for its summer launch. "We did not have a PlayStation 4 engine capable of running anything on January 1st, 2014," says Gyrling, who spearheaded PS4 development at the studio. "The Last of Us shipped in June of 2013, but we didn’t start writing any code or move people over to working on the remaster until February of 2014.""

Oops, looks like I was wrong there. I remember this statement, but thought they had a working engine earlier. Still, that's 5 months from start to gold. Pretty damn impressive for a completely different system. At least the hard work is over and all the lessons learned with getting the engine up and running will definitely help in making Uncharted 4 that much better.

I've heard multiple things from different interviews. As far as I can tell they started thinking about it soon after launch, didn't start engine work until December, and it took them until February to even have a buggy, laggy, ugly version of the game running on PS4.

Hmmm....which one to believe...

Huggers

Having so much fun playing through this again. Big up to Shopto for getting my copy to me a day early. Looking forward to trying the multiplayer for the first time

I'm playing on Hard and finding the
high school
encounter incredibly difficult. There's not much room to avoid enemies but taking them out while staying undetected is a real challenge.

StuBurns

Banned

I don't know who to believe. I'm inclined to believe the video interview, because I can actually hear him talking about it, and know nothing can have been lost or editorialized, but the article is much more detailed in time scales for the process.

I don't know, a year, six months, I don't even think it matters really, it's not an accurate guide to man hours without the staff size anyway.

Both stories don't seem to make sense in the context of this helping the UC4 engine either, given it should have been up and running so long before either story claims the process began.

RedAssedApe

Banned
brightness seems really off. i know some other people posted earlier in the thread

know i have my ps4 and tv set properly to use the same rgb mode. made me confused because the game seemed like it was crushing blacks but then i switched rgb modes between full and limited on the ps4 and i could tell that the shadow detail would get even worse when the ps4 didn't match up with my tv setting.

bumping brightness up to the highest helped a little but makes outdoor scenes seem a little too bright. yuck

daveo42

Banned
I don't know who to believe. I'm inclined to believe the video interview, because I can actually hear him talking about it, and know nothing can have been lost or editorialized, but the article is much more detailed in time scales for the process.

I don't know, a year, six months, I don't even think it matters really, it's not an accurate guide to man hours without the staff size anyway.

Both stories don't seem to make sense in the context of this helping the UC4 engine either, given it should have been up and running so long before either story claims the process began.

Either UC4 wasn't nearly as far along as we thought it was at the time or the crunch time spent on getting TLoU working on the PS4 gave them additional knowledge and techniques to optimize the engine they already have. There have been comments of how to best use multi-threading with the PS4's GPU and their experience with both the PS3 and how this game was originally built helped applying that to the new console.

Top Bottom