• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Vitanimus

It should, because the game itself has the season pass content included - nothing to do with having the game on PS3. So Left Behind, the two map sets etc are all there.

Oh no, I mean the stuff like the weapon DLC and ability DLC... unless that was never included in the season pass?

StuBurns

Banned
I'm extremely impressed with the cutscenes. ND always had horrible compression last generation, and they were still on BRDs, I don't really understand how you can double the resolution, double the framerate, include a bunch of MP DLC and Left Behind, and still have notably better cutscene compression.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm extremely impressed with the cutscenes. ND always had horrible compression last generation, and they were still on BRDs, I don't really understand how you can double the resolution, double the framerate, include a bunch of MP DLC and Left Behind, and still have notably better cutscene compression.

Oh yeah, same here. The cutscenes are crystal clear instead of the distracting compression they had all last gen.

Mentok

Banned
I'm playing on Hard and finding the
high school
encounter incredibly difficult. There's not much room to avoid enemies but taking them out while staying undetected is a real challenge.

Yeah, I did that part with "listen" turned off and found it damn near impossible to stealth. What I wound up doing was
aggro the group, but run back. There were never more than 3 in each area, so while Ellie and Bill struggled with one each, I beat up one then ran over and helped each out.
There's gotta be a way to pure stealth it, but I never did figure it out.

Vashetti

Banned

Everywhere in general is getting better at compression but maintaining some semblance of quality.

I noticed some ugly compression in the first part of the game's night scenes, but everything else has been crystal clear.

sikkinixx

This is so different from my first go around. Granted I'm only about three hours in but I haven't been seen once. Stealthiness like a pro.

Game still has me on edge playing it though shit.

culafia

The game is still great and all, but I'm having way more fun with photo mode than I anticipated.

Bt4pLupIQAAYSS4.jpg

Bt4endyIIAA0eIa.jpg

Bt4Xb-RIEAAHp6u.jpg

Bt4RMDaIQAAQOcQ.jpg

Bt1JoE3IMAA_zhZ.jpg

This is so different from my first go around. Granted I'm only about three hours in but I haven't been seen once. Stealthiness like a pro.

Game still has me on edge playing it though shit.

I definitely feel better at it. I played through on normal last June, found it very challenging, and haven't touched the SP since.

I'm now about 1/3 through PS4 version playing on normal again, and just cruising through. Probably should be playing on hard, still having fun though

antitrop

I definitely feel better at it. I played through on normal last June, found it very challenging, and haven't touched the SP since.

I'm now about 1/3 through PS4 version playing on normal again, and just cruising through. Probably should be playing on hard, still having fun though

I just finished
Bill's Town
on Hard and I'm cruisin', too. That part where you have to sneak through
the cemetery of clickers
took me fucking forever on PS3, I died like 20 times, but I got through it on my first try on PS4 by throwing some bottles and just running right through.

Cudder

so is melee'ing with a brick as effective as a regular melee weapon?

man been wasting bricks and melee weapons so far then.

Yes, pretty much.

I don't know about anyone else but no matter what, the first weapon I equip in any given situation/ the first weapon I always am ready to switch to is a brick.

Cudder

I just finished
Bill's Town
on Hard and I'm cruisin', too. That part where you have to sneak through
the cemetery of clickers
took me fucking forever on PS3, I died like 20 times, but I got through it on my first try on PS4 by throwing some bottles and just running right through.

I'm cruising through on Hard mode too. All the problem spots I had in the PS3 version are gone now.
School gym, getting ambushed with David as Ellie

I think the only area left in the game that gave me trouble was "the tunnel" and the last area in the game. We'll see how those go.

I'm cruising through on Hard mode too. All the problem spots I had in the PS3 version are gone now.

I think the only area left in the game that gave me trouble was "the tunnel" and the last area in the game. We'll see how those go.

Yeah the
school gym
was a breeze for me too, especially know that i know
how effective fire/molotovs are on those bloaters. one molotov and a few shottys to the face, down he went

Andrew.

Banned
Did anyone else score the trophy early for maxing all your skills?

I had it pop when Health, Sway, Crafting and Healing Speed were maxed out.

daveo42

Banned

Glad to see this. Those were some of the areas I had issue with as well. The tunnel section though was probably the most daunting but one of the easiest to get around.

hbkdx12

Did anyone else score the trophy early for maxing all your skills?

I had it pop when Health, Sway, Crafting and Healing Speed were maxed out.

IIRC, the listening skill isn't factored into the trophy being that it's optional and it's disabled at higher difficulties. But i'd imagine shiv master is necessary for the trophy

im having so much fun with the multiplayer.. my only complaint is that the best gear are paid and Sony isn't offering PS Plus Starter Packs like they have with War Thunder and some other games.

Cubed

I know some have issues with gamma/brightness, but either I have a glorious tv, or I just happen to have found a sweet spot in the settings where all blu-rays, games, and streaming shows looks awesome (or both).

I will say the game is darker than I remember on PS3, but no black crush on my end. I just find the dark areas realistic: dark, but if you focus you can make almost everything out, and if you use the flashlight you're golden. Very immersive.

God damn it! Very last shiv door in the game (I think) and I have a shiv with 1 bar. Apparently this one needs a full shiv and theres nothing around to make one. So angry.

DMAmul

Neo Member
Now I wish I popped in my PS3 version before trading it in at gamestop - would love to see how the PS3 version stacks up now that I have played the game at 1080p/60...

I played a significant portion of the game with my Golds before the preset and now I've played a significant portion after and the difference is staggering. Now the headset registers as a 7.1 surround sound headset instead of stereo and even though it's virtual it sounds incredible. You can hear exactly where the sound is coming from so my awareness has improved a lot (no Listen Mode of course). Apart from the enhanced VSS accuracy and effect, the preset makes gunfire deafening and terrifying--I actually instinctually ducked my head the first few times I was shot at--and the ambience of every room is so subtle and realistic that I actually removed the set a few times last night to see if the sound of buzzing machinery was coming from the game or Some unknown source out my window. Seriously, that's how convincing it sounded.

I've never been able to appreciate sound design like I have with this game and this headset and this preset. Couple that with the improved visuals and performance and a new TV since I last played; this play through is easily the best yet.

DMAmul

Neo Member
I played a significant portion of the game with my Golds before the preset and now I've played a significant portion after and the difference is staggering. Now the headset registers as a 7.1 surround sound headset instead of stereo and even though it's virtual it sounds incredible. You can hear exactly where the sound is coming from so my awareness has improved a lot (no Listen Mode of course). Apart from the enhanced VSS accuracy and effect, the preset makes gunfire deafening and terrifying--I actually instinctually ducked my head the first few times I was shot at--and the ambience of every room is so subtle and realistic that I actually removed the set a few times last night to see if the sound of buzzing machinery was coming from the game or Some unknown source out my window. Seriously, that's how convincing it sounded.

I've never been able to appreciate sound design like I have with this game and this headset and this preset. Couple that with the improved visuals and performance and a new TV since I last played; this play through is easily the best yet.

dood! That sounds amazing - how much is that headset?

Anyone else finding this game to be glitchier than the PS3 version? Nothing big, just minor things like NPC's snapping into a standing stance from a sitting stance without any transition. (Like the guy early on in the game who tries to block you from walking thru the bus next to the 'fight club' going on outside. "Oh. Sorry Tess, didn't know you two were together.") Or the nighttime area in the rain when you first go into the leaning building. When you're heading in for the first time, Ellie just disappears. (I also happened to see this occur on a stream I was watching.) And if there's some procedural chatting between the characters, Ellie's voice cannot be heard, but the dialog goes on without her. I actually went back outside and backwards as far as I could go and I could not find her anywhere. She eventually popped back into existence.

Again, nothing major but it kind of detracts from the experience. And yes, I'm fully installed.

Raptor

What is remarkably with the Gold Heaset is that last night I got shot and I turned to where that came from by instinct because of the sound, made me jump because of how fucking loud it is the gun shots, but the positioning of the 7.1 VSS is amazing.

Andrew.

Banned

Weird. After I installed the preset the headset registered as 2.0 (whatever that means) and then everything was on auto.

I gotta mess around with it when I get home.

Lucifon

Is the DLC just not up in Europe yet? I was hoping to download all the customisation etc as a ps3 season pass holder but it says no content available?

What is remarkably with the Gold Heaset is that last night I got shot and I turned to where that came from by instinct because of the sound, made me jump because of how fucking loud it is the gun shots, but the positioning of the 7.1 VSS is amazing.

Awesome to hear, just ordered one of these headsets. Got sent at 5pm so I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.

antitrop

I know some have issues with gamma/brightness, but either I have a glorious tv, or I just happen to have found a sweet spot in the settings where all blu-rays, games, and streaming shows looks awesome (or both).

I will say the game is darker than I remember on PS3, but no black crush on my end. I just find the dark areas realistic: dark, but if you focus you can make almost everything out, and if you use the flashlight you're golden. Very immersive.
I have some wicked black crush going on. I can't seem to get the setting on my Bravia right. =/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Weird. After I installed the preset the headset registered as 2.0 (whatever that means) and then everything was on auto.

I gotta mess around with it when I get home.

It's a stereo headset, the surround sound is just simulated by expanding the soundstage. Always use stereo headset settings in games for them and let the headset do the rest of the work.

I have some wicked black crush going on. I can't seem to get the setting on my Bravia right. =/
Same here. Had the same problem with Tomb Raider DE. Some parts look fantastic and spot on. but some parts are too dark to see anything.

dood! That sounds amazing - how much is that headset?

Only $80 on Amazon! Worth every single penny! I can't sing its praises enough (like most who own one). It's wireless but it comes with the cord to use it as headphones for your phone or Vita and the mic is hidden so it's not like you have some tacky thing hanging off of it. You can use it with your PC too.

And if you have a PS4 and plan on playing games on it, this is definitely the headset to get. You can bet the blockbuster first party titles will all have presets (inFamous and Killzone do already) and even some big third party titles (Watch Dogs does). For Wolfenstein I just selected the "Shooter" preset which is equalized to bring out the bass of gunfire and explosions.

Top Bottom